Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there Kiwi friend, @octopus - congrats, congrats - one year is a BIG milestone especially when broken down into a count, lol xxxx

[Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
 
@octopus

Hi my Kiwi friend
Congrats to your 1st year anniversary too.
Nice to hear that all is on track
Keep well
Selin
 
Lovely to see posts from @sansabosa and @Poppet. Just logged on to respond to @clifford149 who is celebrating his one year anniversary. Mine is on April 5... Seems a lifetime ago but the early recovery would have been much harder without the support and comfort of you two as well as some other caring hippies on Bonesmart! So when I saw you had recently posted I just wanted to say Thanks! You have not been forgotten!:cheers:
 
@Maeve congratulations on your anniversary this week. I so agree about the support here on Bonesmart, I would not have been anywhere near as informed as I was without it. The most useful info for me was the icing, never mentioned to me by medical personnel but an absolute lifesaver in pain control and the minimal swelling & bruising I experienced. I'm so please I came across Bonesmart before my surgery.
 
Thank you so much @octopus !! Your good wishes are much appreciated. I'm luckily at a point in my recovery that I forget I had a THR only 12 months ago. But I know my recovery was made so much easier in the first months because of the great support of the Bonesmart community and for that I am eternally grateful!
Best wishes to you. Hope you are powering on!:thankyou:
 
I have a question:

I have scoliosis and from the time I started to walk normally after surgery at about 10-12 weeks (with no limping), my back has been sore. It is worse first thing in the morning, there's no sleeping in for me, I have to get up straight away. This week it has been worse than ever, when I've woken in the early hours of the morning I've been unable to go back to sleep due to the discomfort. Sometimes I feel it during the day, but not often. My Osteo tells me that it is just my muscles readjusting now that I walk and stand differently and it will get better, but it's been a year now.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and how long did it take to get better?
 
Hi Diane,

Congrats on hitting the one year mark with your hip!!

I have rotoscoliosis from all the years of uneven legs -- my muscle development and tone is different on each side in my back and core muscles. My legs were not evened with the surgery, but improved some and I no longer wear a lift on the outside of my shoe. I did physio for a while to try to help with the muscle imbalance but nothing much really changed.

Where is your back pain? It's good that you are seeing an osteo and hopefully you can get some relief from those treatments for your symptoms. It seems like some people's bodies adjust better after the surgery to the LLD issues than others -- I'm thinking of @sansabosa @Vida and @Maeve as a few who had remarkable recoveries and adjustments to changes in their LLDs.

Don't feel discouraged as you may have on-going changes as time progresses! I thought of the first year as the Year of Healing, the second was the Year of Adaptation and the third has been the Year of Acceptance.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks @C Mac . My back pain is both on both sides, I feel it down the outer part of the back and when pressed right next to the spine is very sore. I really hope I do see some improvement over time. But over all I am still happy that I can walk pain free, and have noticed further improvement in pain levels in my hip in the last couple of months.
 
Hi @octopus ,
Sorry for a delayed response and hope your recovery powers on! As @C Mac so eloquently puts it...the three years of healing,adaptation and acceptance seem to be the journey! I am now in Year 2. I know Josephine believes that hips just recover without intensive rehab etc but I'm not so sure! I really believe my recovery was very much down to the targetted physio, exercise physiology sessions and now my own exercise regime.
A bit easy to say as I am lucky enough to have access to a fantastic gym with great classes , facilities and instructors. Exercise is my saviour and was the key to my prep and recovery and perhaps the most helpful part of that is the stretching ...fingers crossed you continue to improve. Best wishes!
 
Hi Diane,

Does your osteo think that you have LLD issues, does s/he check your hips for the level of your pelvis? Maybe there are some stretches or soft tissue massage work that you could have that would help with your sore spots. It's a grind to wake up with soreness and I hope it's getting better!!

It is fantastic that you can walk pain free!! :dancy:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi @Maeve It sounds like your recovery is going well too. That's great, and long may it continue. I'm doing a little bit of Pilates and some of the same exercises the hospital physio gave me in the months after surgery.

@C Mac I don't feel like I have LLD issues, the hip feels a bit strange when I stand with my weight evenly distributed, but this is probably because I haven't stood normally for years due to pain. It doesn't feel odd when i walk. I just had my one year check up with X-ray at the hospital and leg length is the same. All else looks good too.

My back has been slightly better in the last few weeks, I have hope it will continue to do so.

Earlier in the month I participated in a walk to raise money for orthopaedic research. The walkers were all joint recipients and it was organised by our local health board. I won the prize for the youngest participant! There were a few displays of implants and tools and I got to see what my implant looks like, very cool. It was great to see and talk to others who have been through the same thing.
[Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
 
Hi there Kiwi friend @octopus - way to go girl, walking to raise money for orthopedics... xx
 
Hi @Poppet I hope things are going well for you. Sorry I haven't emailed yet, but I have been thinking of you. This is me, pretty much 50+ hours per week. :type:
 
@octopus - I hear you with the 50+ hours - exhausting - sending hugs and love across the ditch xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom