Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 Years Post Op

I'm glad you're able to ease gently back into work. By the time you get really busy again, your knee will be healed a lot more.
 
Sounds like you and I have similar work situations. I have to remind myself to get up and walk, not just sit at my desk for hours absorbed in what's on my screen. Your setup with the fridges, though... I'm totally envious. Sounds like a great job for a TKR recovery!
 
Is anyone else suffering from an extremely sore lower back as well as a sore shoulder and elbow? I know the shoulder and elbow are as a result of having to push myself up from all chairs due to the stiff new knee but I'm not sure of why my back is so darned sore. I'm thinking of resorting to some type of message for this but there's no way I can lay face down on a table. Any suggestions as to stretches I can try?
 
You back is probably hurting because of your different walking. Google back exercises. That's what I do when my kicks up.
 
Sistersinhim I'll check it out. I've used a warmed magic bag a couple time today and went back to ibuprofen and it's a lot better. I never thought about my leg changing, not to mention the use of a cane that would be an issue as well.
 
When I returned to work after each of my TKRs my lower back went into spasms. It got so bad that sometimes I had to duck into the restroom and just cry :bawl:. I would go home, take a hot bath, then a muscle relaxant and curl up on my side with a heating pad. Be good to yourself, it will get better.
 
.Your work set-up sounds great! Enviable too.
Re back pain: I'm still achy 6 years after slipped discs in my neck. I get a massage. Yes lying on my tummy 6 weeks post op was unusual but glad to say it worked. So am assuming you can't lie on your front then?
My hands hurt a lot when I used crutches to walk the 650 m back home from underground station. But I have RA in my hands. Maybe that's why.
3 weeks ago my shoulders ached quite a bit. As you said probably from trying to lift myself up from bed.I envy Nancy's triangle. Eventually I made a lasso on my bedside table to get myself up easier and asked DH to massage my shoulder.
That was my "condition" before he could watch sports on TV. Hehe. While he watches he massages.
 
My lower back has been complaining loudly since I had the TKR. I have chronic problems with it, but using a walker and a cane really exacerbated the usual problems. Once I was able to ditch both (though I still use cane outdoors and if I'm tired) it began to improve. Having an altered gait also affects the back and it will take time to improve because we're using muscles that haven't been used or used correctly in a long time. I think the other aches and pains (shoulders, arms, wrists, hands) are also due to using walking aids and should subside once those are no longer needed. I use heat and massage on my back, along with some hamstring stretches and stretches for the piriformis muscle. YouTube has a lot of videos that demonstrate some great back stretches.

Are you certain you cannot lie on your stomach? I ask because an appointment with a deep-tissue, massage therapist would be very helpful. I've been once, about 2 weeks ago and it made a big difference.
 
One other tip on the back: Wear the right shoes. In this case, it means no backless styles, just whole shoes or sturdy, walking sandals with a backstrap. Forget flip-flops for now....just awful for the gait and back. If your shoes are old, pre TKR, invest in a new pair or two. Flip-flops are awful.
 
So, something weird happened last night. I was watching TV and usually later in the evening my knee feels tighter and tighter and the scar is usually very sensitive and that's usually when I decide that I need to go to bed because I've had enough. Well those feelings didn't happen, I finished watching the Suites premier, which was really good by the way, and then got ready for bed. Once in bed I was testing out my ability to lay on my side, which I haven't been able to do comfortably, and surprise surprise I could do it! During all this I suddenly felt this very weird sensation along the outside of the new knee along the bottom of the scar. It wasn't painful, just weird like a small ripping feeling. It scared me but all of a sudden I realized that that tight band across the bottom of my knee was gone! I could now bend very easily laying on my back doing a heel Slide! Usually it's quite a struggle and somewhat painful to even begin bending my knee! I was so super excited yet scared that it would disappear during the night that I couldn't go to sleep :snork:.

I'm happy to report that it did not disappear and the easier bending is still with me this morning. I still have a band like feeling across the top of the knee but the sensitivity along the scar is basically gone. I do have a bit of soreness almost a raw feeling at the base of the scar but it's not too bad. I 'think' maybe an adhesion let go, but not sure. I can definitely bend easier and it doesn't stop bending abruptly anymore so it looks like I may be able to achieve that 90 by next Thursday if I gently work at it!

What a way to begin week 7!
 
Pheebs52 thanks for the suggestions. I've been wearing my comfy pre surgery Birkenstocks which I can see have quite a bit of wear from before, you are right, I should switch to my new runners. I've been lazy about this, it's hard to get the runners on and in this heat, I don't even want to put on socks! Not to mention I hate everyone waiting for me as I struggle to put them on, it's a pride thing that I'm sure is the reason why my back is probably protesting. I'm not sure about the laying on the stomach. I'm not sure how to do it since both my hips have bursitis so it's extremely painful to flip around on a harder surface. As well I'm really not sure what to do with my knees once I'm there. I've found it extremely uncomfortable to have my knees lime that so I'm not sure I could relax. I'll have to figure it out.
 
Also make sure your walker/cane is adjusted to the right height. You don't want to be hunching over.
 
Dvannie, wow, I am mentally *happy dancing* :dancy: for you! What a wonderful surprise, even if it did keep you up all night, lol! :happydance:

Hmm, the bursitis in both hips would present a problem for lying comfortably on a massage table. Some therapists offer a sitting, chair massage, but I'm not sure if they could access the areas that are bothering you that way.

I have a few massage tools at home that are very helpful that might work for you as well. The first is a big, heavy, hand-held, back massager that offers several different styles, from Shiatsu to pulsations. I bought it at Brookstones, but I'm sure similar ones can be found elsewhere. The next is a hard, red rubber Kong ball from the pet store. I use it while standing up against a wall and it does a great job of simulating accupressure. I just roll it all over until I hit a knot and then press harder on the problem area. Hubby is my last resort, but he can be pressed into action when I'm desperate. :SUNsmile:
 
I went to get a massage last time, around 3/4 weeks post op. I certainly wasn't able to lay on my belly. She made a nest on the floor with pillows and was able to rearrange me on my side and back and still got go all my hurty areas. A good massage therapist will be able to work around your physical limitations. I can't wait to get back in to see her this time. Prob won't be til aug, since she's near where I drive my son to school.
 
Isn't is amazing how the knee will do something wonderful when we least expect it. Maybe it likes giving us good surprises!
 
I've finally graduated to losing the cane while in the house. What a wonderful feeling! I decided to give its try since my back, shoulder and elbow were giving me grief and I'm happy to report those pains are feeling a bit better as a result. Funny eh, I have to take pain Meds for my back and arm, not my new knee .... wow! What an awesome realization that I actually have other pain than the knee which has ruled my life for eons! :yahoo:

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday morning, I'm taking my mum and mother in law to see the new Dispicable Me movie. Good times! We should be the oldest people there, especially since it's me who is fhe 'child' :heehee:
 
Wonderful on ditching the cane in the house! Are you seeing any difference in your pain yet?

Have fun at the movies. I want to go see Wonder Woman soon.
 
Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean Dvannie! All those other aches and pains will vanish rapidly now that you are appliance-free! Enjoy the movie!
 
Sistersinhim I saw Wonder Woman last weekend, it was so good! I grew up with the series so I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the movie so I was pleasantly surprised on how well she was portrayed. Yes, I'm seeing some difference in the pain. Both my shoulder and elbow are calming down and my back is less achy. By ditching the cane I'm finding that it forces me to walk with more bend in the knee so I'm hopeful it will loosen up my stiff knee a bit better too!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom