Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 Years Post Op

Great news is the lowering pain in your back, shoulder and elbow!
 
I found at times I was medicating back pain more than knee pain. I am glad to hear yours is getting better.
 
It's one of those days. Although I'm thankful of everything that I have and try to see the good things happening each day I'm struggling a bit right now. My ROM is being stubborn and I cannot seem to break/hit 80 degrees and I'm almost at 8 weeks. I cannot tell a lie, it's getting me down and making things a little more difficult as a result. I tried to explain to my husband about why I get so tired still. That getting up and down fro chairs, stairs or anything for that matter is a chore when you don't have 90 degrees and the tiredness quickly adds up until you just have to fall asleep. I see my OS this week and I'm leaning towards saying yes to the MUA. My knee pain levels are pretty low now and so is my swelling so I think I could deal with it and even if it gets me to 90 or a little above i think it would be worth it. It's such a difficult decision and I want to make sure I'm making the right one.
 
(((Dvannie))) it's a very personal and tough decision to make. Whichever way you choose, we'll all be here for you! I find stairs the most tiring, but I do have a lot of them and can't avoid them anytime I'd like to go out, watch TV or do my laundry; pffft!

I'm sure you've read all the articles on MUA here and have also read the MUA stories from other members, so are fully aware of the pros and cons.

I may find myself in the same boat as you next week when I see my OS, but to date, he hasn't even mentioned it. If, at 11-12 weeks, I am still stuck with 85 degrees, I may seriously consider the idea. Time will tell.
 
Pheebs52 I've scoured the internet for everything possible about MUA and success and failures. From what I've read the window for best results seem to be between 6-12 weeks. On the most part it seems to give most people about 15-20 degrees more once the swelling goes down and theN more over time. To be honest with you I just want to be able to sit comfortably. We had booked a cruise well before I found out about my surgery day and it's in about 2 months and I cannot even imagine trying to sit on a plane for 2-3 hours with the bend I have now. I know it's far enough away but I'm the worrying kind and I hate the thought of not going.
 
@dvannie i feel for you! One thing I would suggest is to book a wheelchair for the airports so you don't get exhausted! I did this the last time I went to California and the service was pretty awesome! And book an aisle seat so you can get up and down easily to give your knee a stretch. It would be a shame to have to cancel a lovely cruise that you have been looking forward to.Good luck with your decision.
 
Dvannie, I completely understand your fears about being able to sit comfortably, especially since you have an upcoming vacation, with a flight and a cruise. I'm certainly not 100% comfortable sitting with feet flat on the floor for more than roughly 30-40 minutes right now, but it does depend on the chair. Kitchen table=not great. Sofa, not bad. So, some are better than others. Naturally, driving is subject to the same issues, though I can sit longer as a passenger just because there's more room to move my legs and feet around.

So, I doubt I'd do very well on a 2-3 hour flight right now unless it was First Class. Even then, it could be tricky. Two months from now, who knows? No one. I'd definitely have to get up frequently, so what @Canada35 said about an aisle seat would be required. I would absolutely reserve the wheelchair for getting around the airport as well. In my case, I'm not looking at a flight in two months and that makes a lot of difference in my perspective. Certainly no one knows, self included, if either of us will be at the "Holy Grail" of flexion in two months..... it's definitely a toss of the dice and all so *iffy.* Mega stressful, eh?
 
@sistersinhim Unfortunately I have to be back to work in about 4 weeks. As well, my husband is going out of the country for a couple of weeks around mid August as well. That's why I'm thinking about it now. If I didn't have that as well as the upcoming trip I would most likely leave it for awhile longer. I just find its so exhausting not to mention hard on my other knee to stand up when I can't bend my knee far enough. These stubborn knees eh?
 
You do have pressing obligations coming up. That sorta pushes the issue. I'm sorry. A MUA will set you back a few weeks, but they work well for many people. I hope that you can reach the correct decision for yourself.
 
What a difficult decision. One thing life has taught me is to "follow your gut." Just as you "knew" when it was time to get a TKR, you might have a sense of whether this MUA is something you want to do. Or avoid. If your body is talking to you, listen. Weigh that along with all the information. And once you make a decision, trust it.

I love cruising and hope you get to enjoy yours!
 
I can tell you that even with a ROM over 90 (mine was 105 when I went back to work at 12 weeks) getting up from chairs was still difficult well into months 5-6 post op. The tiredness also has nothing to do with ROM, it's due to your body trying to heal from surgery as well as any exercise you may be doing. I found I needed to rest after working a half day at months 4-6.

If you decide to have the MUA, it will tell you what degree the OS was able to get, however it will cause an increase in swelling. You'll need to rest, ice, elevate the knee much like the first month post op and refrain from pushing through exercises to allow the swelling to decrease.
 
I talked with my OS and decided to go with a MUA. Now my head is spinning at the speed in which they schedule these things especially compared to how long it took to schedule the TKR!

I'll be going in for 11am tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that this goes as expected and I'll be home recovering tomorrow afternoon!
 
Wow, Dvannie, that really IS fast! Perhaps that's for the best; no chance for second thoughts or any anxiety while waiting. I'm hoping all goes very well and you get the ROM you've been waiting for, just in time for your trip. Looking forward to your post tomorrow!:SUNsmile:
 
Best wishes. I hope the MUA does the trick for you. Don't forget to ask how far your surgeon was able to bend your knee.

Afterwards, your knee will need to be treated gently, because the MUA will cause some damage to your soft tissues. Don't be talked into doing intensive exercise. Just keep moving and bending your knee gently.
Prepare to spend plenty of time resting, icing and elevating.
 
Good luck. Its just as well you've not got too much time to think about it. This time tomorrow it'll be over. Who knows? You could be sitting with both feet flat on the floor! It's a wonderful feeling. I remember just looking down at them. It felt so momentous.
Tiredness doesn't disappear though and general mobility isn't rapid. Progress is better measured monthly than daily or weekly.
A cruise would be ideal. Book airport assistance and extra legroom seats. Look forward to it!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom