Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 Years Post Op

I'll try the warmth on hand quad and the leg under the chair .... I'm no where near to getting it under the chair but it's something to try to achieve!

Thanks for your suggestions!
 
Oh I wasn't able to do that for quite while!! Now that I'm past the 12 week mark is when I can see much more progress in that endeavor. It's my little measuring mark.
 
A total knee vacation for this week sounds like just the thing you need after that sadistic PT.
Lots of elevation and:ice:
 
Had a great couple of days this long weekend! Went visiting for a short time at a BBQ with family amongst icing and elevating and today went on a quick trip to the grocery store, ooh the excitement! And then came back home to ice and elevate and do some stretching. Gotta say, it was pretty nice to get a bit of my life back and I'm looking forward to this good sign regardless of my crummy bend right now!
 
My pup Prudence is my therapy dog through all this. She is the classic pug full of attitude and cuddles. Currently she's snuggled up beside my left leg heating up my quad. It's amazing how much she makes me happier just by being there :flwrysmile:.

Another first for me, I didn't need to take any pain Meds in the night! I guess I'm finally getting beyond the pain from PT so I won't need to take as much now and definitely not in preparation of PT. My fingers are crossed that I can become a bit more bendy now that I'm not killing my knee with PT :praying:
 
Isn't it amazing how our pets know when we feel bad? My kitties just automatically knew to stay off of my knee, except for one time. My youngest male was on my lap and to get down, he launched off of my knee. I yelled big time, and he, nor any of the others did it again!

You are coming right along with no meds at night. Yay! That ROM will come now that you're off of PT. Remember to also stop the exercises. Your daily activities are enough therapy for your knee.
 
Aw, Prudence is just adorable and a obviously, a *snuggle-bunny* like all Pugs! I've often wished I had gotten a black one as a contrast to Nemo's light coloring. Our pets really do know when we're not feeling well and seem to know exactly how to makes us feel better.

Dvannie, that's fabulous news on needing fewer pain meds! That's what I call progress!:yes!:
 
Wonderful news that you had a great outing last weekend! We used to have a dog named Prudence. It is a great name and I am glad she is a comfort to you. :puppysmooze:
 
Broke out the shorter shorts, the scar is extra sensitive right now and the longer ones are driving me crazy! Can't wait for this part to calm down.

On another note I was experiencing a lot of those 'zingers' last night that you guys talk about. I'm hoping this is a good sign, I must be a late bloomer for recovery.

I have my next appt tomorrow with my OS. I know he's going to pressure me about a MUA again. I'm going to go to the appt alone for a change so that he actually will listen and talk to me instead of the person I have with me. It's exceedingly irritating almost like they are hoping that the person can talk some sense into me, like I'm not even in the room. I want him to know that I'm good with the slower recuperation and I was actually able to use my new knee and go up one step, I think that's quite an accomplishment and shows progress making the MUA unnecessary.......or that's my belief :egypdance:
 
that's progress ~ going up one step using your new knee. you're just 6 weeks out, so you have lots of time to meet whatever expectations your surgeon has should you want to. good luck and let us know how it goes.
 
Going up a step with your new knee is quite an accomplishment! You hang in there and not let your OS talk you into anything you don't want to do! You know your knew and you know you are improving. As you heal your ROM will naturally improve.
 
Dvannie, have you shaved over the scar yet? Someone mentioned that the other day as a possible fix for scar sensitivity. I told myself the same about zingers, lol.

If your OS suggests MUA again, you can flat out say, *No,* or just tell him you want to give it more time. 6 weeks IS early after all, despite some of them insisting we should be at that :censored: 90 degrees by then.
 
Pheebs52 I've shaved up to the scar but not over it, I'm a bit too nervous about that and nicking the scar tissue and giving myself an infection on top of this whole thing :snork:

I had my hubby measure my bend from when sitting on a chair and it was about 77 degrees. Even allowing for an IO error that's pretty good in my books. At least it's going in the right direction, not like at PT. When I think of all the weeks I've wasted by going and the swelling they've caused, it somewhat infuriates me and I wonder why this torture and bullying is being encouraged when you are at your most vulnerable! :shrug:
 
Dvannie, I certainly agree on the unfortunate, typical PT offered here. Remember how I had to fire my home PT Ugh. An angel must've been looking over my shoulder when it came to outpatient PT and I feel so very fortunate to have one that understands the value in a gentle approach. I can't even attribute it to age or recently trained in new methods since he's been doing this for roughly 30 years. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

After everything you've been through I think 77 is great! Any and all increases in flexion are gratefully accepted!:flwrysmile:
 
@dvannie, that's why we're here. We are trying to educate people that aggressive therapy sets back recovery. So many don't believe us and are afraid to even try it. They are the ones who suffer months and months of agony and their ROM is getting nowhere. So, what do they do. They have a MUA, which sets their recovery back to the beginning and on top of that, they start their aggressive PT all over again on a knee that is double traumatized. It is a lose, lose situation.

If only people would trust our experience. We don't have to be here on this forum. We can be doing lots of other things with our time. But, we CARE about what you all are going through and want to help. It's not for our good, but the good of those who need our experience.
 
I think you are doing well. All of the medical books and articles talk about the fact that the pre surgery rom is a reasonable guide for what the post surgery rom will be. Since you were at 90 pre surgery, 77 is actually doing quite well at six weeks. i think you will get more than 90 which makes your surgery a great success.

I am shocked at the behavior of some PTs. Just thing---if you have a garden hose full of water, can you bend it? and it you force it what happens? In your case, your common sense is working quite welll A person who thinks they can take you pain level to a 7 is not the person who should be working with tkr's.
 
Glad you are taking charge of your recovery dvannie. I'll made small ROM gains in the past two weeks after being nicer to my knee and big gains in functional movement (and confidence). I shaved over the scar this morning at 8 weeks but clearly I was not "all in" as it is still looking a bit hairy. Keep up the good work!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom