Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

So very glad to read this report @Sara61. You’ve had a challenging journey but it sounds as if all is finally going well for you. You have worked hard to reach this point; sit back and enjoy your success. Won’t it be wonderful when all these difficult times are just a memory from the distant past?
 
@Sara61 so glad to hear you are doing well! 137 is wonderful flexion! In my area, most Orthos and PT’s subscribe to the “no pain, no gain” theory. So many people told me, just do your therapy and you will do great!
You will stop limping when you are able to bend without discomfort. It is “guarding” from pain. I have only stopped limping in the last month and i am over 6 Mon out.
Right now, my hips and low back are hurting more than my knee. Back to chiropractor tomorrow. We shall see!

Have a great day and so glad you are doing well!
 
Having followed your journey @Sara61, I'd say this is pretty fantastic 6 month report. Yay you're crutch free and driving! :happydance:
 
It’s So good to see your latest post! You have really been through so much. It sounds like you now have so much going for you..... a compassionate, caring, diligent team, different approaches. I’m so thrilled for you. And appreciate your sage advice to others....
And just think! Spring & summer are approaching ( well, not Too fast here it seems, with a current 8 degree reading, & snow on the ground....☺️). But, both will get here. And you can enjoy that beautiful country side.... with your new knee well on its way to full recovery. Do take care, & be sure to get your rest.... maybe one of our biggest challenges once we are progressing & doing better?.....along with patience . But I think you will do fine. Enjoy. You deserve it.
 
Today another wee achievement, I managed a full morning of errands, namely driving and shopping, I was out & about for just over 2 hours alone, I did take a elbow crutch with me, however found it to be lethal as it was raining, but I haven't as yet got the confidence to walk without it outdoors.
My knee is slightly bending whilst walking however it feels very stiff I'm hoping that soon it will bend further without constantly having to remind myself.
Medication wise I'm still taking Flexiban 10mg at night, this helps relax my muscles, occasionally I take a paracetamol but only if my knee hurts.
I'm now a bit forgetful about icing, although I do try and Ice for 45 minutes in bed prior to sleeping.

@Catalien45 I'm so.looking forward to the hour changing, longer lighter evenings, warmer days, although our climate is mild compared to yours the majority of houses in the Algarve are built to keep the heat out, so in the winter months the houses are quite cold, we have an open fireplace in our lounge but bedrooms are like the artic :ice: brrrr. Tonight my 2019 replacement is grumpy so an early night, hot water bottle on one knee and Ice on the other....roll on Summer !!
 
137 degrees flexion is something I could only dream about!!! Amazing!! I'm glad you are doing so much better. I'm looking forward to the longer lighter evenings and I dream of some warmer weather! We are having lots of rain for the next 10 days..... I guess that's why WA is the Evergreen state!
 
Almost at 4 months post surgery, still a slow process but far better than it was two months ago, this knee is very temperamental. Unfortunately weather very wet & windy so I'm not able to walk outdoors, especially around my house as the terrain is very uneven. On the plus side I'm now able to drive so I can go out to do the shopping.
With regards to bending, no problem at all whilst lying down or sitting, however it's still quite difficult to bend it whilst standing or walking, I feel very stiff legged not sure if that is normal for this stage or I should be walking normally by now, I really have to constantly tell myself "bend that knee", I honestly can't remember if my left leg was the same :chinstroke: but one shouldn't compare, unfortunately there is nothing in my posts from 2019 mentioning this.

This week I'm in quarantine, my husband has covid, fortunately I'm testing negative, but I'm not allowed to go to physio or socialize as I could be a carrier. There is nothing worse than being stuck at home with a man with covid, men do not do illnesses/colds/flu well at all, I've mostly retreated to the bedroom ( fortunately we still have separate bedrooms & bathrooms) as he has a dreadful cough & sore throat, which he is displaying all over the house, he totally refuses to wear a mask, so the chances are pretty high that I will get it and a miracle if not,:praying: prayers that I don't, as I'm due to start working part-time from next Wednesday, it's only a half day, mostly envolves driving and viewing a 6 bedroomed luxury villa, and sitting in on the meet & greet of the holiday renters arriving that afternoon, then once the holiday season starts I will be doing this on my own ( I have over 30+years experience in this type of work) but all companies do it differently.
It will be interesting so see how the knee manages as I think the villa is enormous on several flights of stairs, :flabber: but my new employer is very sympathetic and is fully aware that I'm still in early recovery and that I am very slow at walking.
Hope all my bonebuddies are faring well sending you all virtual hugs xxx
 
men do not do illnesses/colds/flu well at all,
So true! When my guy has a cold, he complains more than I did after my TKR.

Try to take extra special care of yourself. Sending thoughts and prayers that you don't contract it.
 
It’s so good to see your progress, Sara! I relate to your walk, sometimes mine feels a bit awkward....when we’re walking in our neighborhood, it mostly seems fine,mor when I’m pushing the cart in the store, but if I Don’t use a cart, or say, walking to the store from my car, my gait feels a bit “ off”. I guess that is just a matter of time.
I’m so sorry your husband has Covid! Please do take care of yourself, hopefully, you are able to escape it. My husband rarely gets sick, but, when he does, he Really gets sick! I think men do have a harder time with pain or illness than women do. But in our case, maybe that’s mostly due to my bullheadedness . He’s just more realistic, & will admit it if he is sick.

I’m with you, being able to drive is Such a blessing! I’m able to get out & do my own shopping , & just run a few errands. I’m still very careful, & not getting out a lot, as my state is starting to see the Omicron variant. But I’m definitely looking forward to spring & summer.
Do take good care of yourself, & stay well. Hopefully your husband will soon be better. Maybe you can wear a mask when you’re around him, or where he’s been, to protect yourself. Fingers crossed that his is a short bout, & you don’t get it. Just so great to see you are doing well, you’ve had a tough recovery.
 
@Catalien45 - good to hear that you too are making progress, agree. driving does wonders for our esteem and confidence, usually when I'm food shopping I use tge trolley instead of crutches to hang onto.
So far, 4 days have passed I'm still testing negative and my husband is still alive, just barely as he is like a bull with sore horns, driving me totally insane :rotfl: unfortunately weather is bad so no escaping him other than the bedroom for me.
Fortunately he is getting better, I have seen a change in him but he is sure milking it to the bitter end :heehee:
Yes I agree, I am looking forward to the Summer too xx
 
Stairs :gaah: Why is it that a physio I am able to go up & down their training staircase with no problems, yet at home I get total brain knee freeze, I cannot go down the stairs normally at all, the leg just freezes and it won't bend to allow me to put weight on it to lower my left leg first, going up it is better but also I don't as yet feel confident or have faith that it is strong enough to hold me, I know I shouldn't compare but in 2019 at this stage I was doing the stairs easily.

I started working last week, thankfully only part-time and the longest time on my feet was 5 hours whilst checking properties. The only plus side to my very slow recovery is that I'm paid by the hour slow is more €€€ :heehee:
 
Maybe you do better at physio because their step thingy only has a few steps, whereas at home, you have a whole flight. Their steps might also be a different height than yours at home. :shrug:
 
Sara, don't worry, you'll get there. I agree with Jockette, a home's stairs are different than those at PT and looking down a flight of stairs can be very scary. It still is for me! Do you have handrails on both sides? That would help with your security and safety.
 
OMG, @Sara61 ! I really empathize with you on this.

I struggled and struggled with descending the stairs in my house for months -- despite being able to do the steps at PT. I honestly thought I'd be "double-stepping" down stairs for the rest of my life. It took me almost six months, but I finally :yes!: reached the point last month where I am able to go down stairs reciprocally without feeling like I have to hang on for dear life!

If all else is going well, don't panic. It will happen when your knee is ready. And hopefully, it won't take you as long as it took me. :wink:
 
Next week I will be 5 months post surgery not a recovery I expected as still have ongoing issues and life is far slower than I want or need it to be. Today I realised that I haven't posted as much, mostly because life is taking over, but also a wee part of me is disappointed that I'm not further along as I should, in my mind be, reading posts of amazingly good recoveries is a constant reminder that no two knees or recoveries are the same.
I'm still learning how to walk, silly as it sounds but my confidence took a huge knocking and the fear of falling or slipping is constant, even my friends have taken to chanting whilst I'm out and about "bend that knee " as if I think about it, I automatically walk stiff legged, I know I can walk normally as my husband commented this weekend that whilst chatting and walking distractely I walked totally normal .
My Knee bends just fine, sitting for hours with it bent is not a problem it's just if I stand too long then it becomes rapidly stiffer.
Stairs are still alien, my knee freezes on a stair if it thinks it has to be normal, again it's mind over matter, our minds have an awful lot to do with our movements.
On brighter note, Spring is here, and the days are longer. Soon the warmth of the Summer will also aid my recovery and hopefully soon this knee will be a thing of the past.
Work is going fine, I'm blessed with a understanding boss, my work load is doable and help is offered where needed as slow and steady is my 2022 motto.
 
@Sara61 Sounds like you are making progress - although slow and steady. Please don't be disappointed in your recovery. That knee is in charge and you are listening to it.

Bring on that sunshine and warmth! Life does seem much simpler in the sun!
 
Hi @Sara61 , our right knees are "classmates" ... here's to a happy 5th monthiversary next week!!
Why is it that a physio I am able to go up & down their training staircase with no problems, yet at home I get total brain knee freeze, I cannot go down the stairs normally at all, the leg just freezes and it won't bend to allow me to put weight on it to lower my left leg first, going up it is better but also I don't as yet feel confident or have faith that it is strong enough to hold me
I know exactly what you mean! Before my LTKR, even as my right knee had made so much progress, almost every single morning at home, coming downstairs for the first time, I'd have to steel myself to come down reciprocal footed.

The past couple of weeks, following my LTKR, it takes me a couple more seconds to "strategize" before I take my first step down. And yet, at the gym, I've been able to go up and down the stairs without too much conscious thought.

I'm headed out to my first left knee PT in a bit and despite my having the highest regard for the Physio (whom I worked very well with my right), I'm feeling a bit anxious. My left leg has always been weaker than the right, so I have a lot less trust in it holding me up as I go through exercises without a cane or a wall or a bannister nearby.

Hopefully confidence will build up as time goes by.

All the best on your continued recovery!!
 
Felt very proud, recently I have returned to work ( part-time) my job entails checking luxury accommodation and meeting holiday guests on arrival at these properties, these houses are huge and often on 3 to 4 levels lots & lots of stairs.
Anyway yesterday I ditched my walking aid, I managed to show a 6 bedroomed villa to guests this required going up and down stairs in and out of rooms etc, the walking part I managed fine albeit slowly and was proud of myself but I do so hate stairs.
Fortunately the guests were extremely elderly so they were just as slow as I :heehee:
Today thankfully a quiet day at home but have two arrivals tomorrow, the season starts.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom