Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

I know you are glad to be home again and have your own room with nice peace and quiet! It sounds like the doctor is listening to you and telling you to rehab in the Bonesmart way.
 
Thankfully everything looked as it should on the x-ray, Sara and there’s no damage. Sorry this is dragging on, but at least you have a game plan now and brighter days are on the way. Now for the hard part…patience. Wishing you lots of comfort as you continue healing.
@Sara61
 
So glad that you are home and finally seeing some improvement. You have really had a “ humdinger“ of a recovery this time around but hoping that it will be slow and steady progress from now on. Sending virtual healing thoughts to you
 
So glad nothing is wrong with the implant. Now the hard part, patience! Glad the trip home was uneventful. So does "bucketing down" mean sweating in the UK? :heehee: Love it!
 
Great to hear, @Sara61 ! I know how nice it is getting back to your own bed and home after being away, whether it's been a few days or a few weeks; there's no place like home. Take it easy and feel better.
 
@Susie-Q - "bucketing down " means extremely heavy rainfall :) We also have another word for it but I think :censored: on BoneSmart :snork:

@Jockette - yes you are correct

Thank you all. Yes, its wonderful to be back home in my own space and the sun is shining and my flowers are in bloom, my Clivea is just beginning to flower, it blooms just once a year so always so special.:roseshwr:
 
@Susie-Q - "bucketing down " means extremely heavy rainfall :) We also have another word for it but I think :censored: on BoneSmart :snork:
When you mentioned you were wet after finally hobbling back to the car, why did my mind assume sweating??? I guess I assumed it's always nice and warm in Portugal all year round. :oyvey: Bucketing Down = heavy rainfall, this makes WAY more sense.:heehee:
 
@Sara61, I'm glad you made it home and are able to continue recovery in your own space. Now that your husband has different info about your pain (the real facts), I hope he is more supportive as you continue your recovery.
 
@Sara61...it’s so good to hear that you are home, and we’re able to see a new Dr & get those x-rays & assurance! And your flower that seemed to wait for you to get home & see it... how very special! Kinda like a reminder that your recovery seems to be getting a new, fresh start. For now, just load up on those movies, rest, take it easy, like your Dr advised. I’ll be looking for more good reports on your progress. Just remember what @hawk2go told me in early days... “ slow & steady...”. That’s been good for me to remember. Take care, and .. encouraging, good news!
 
Almost two weeks have passed, I'm very slowly making improvement, PT have taken me back to basics I use the cpm machine twice a week for 30 minutes each session, the bend is slowly returning although I still cannot bend the knee whilst standing or walking but I am positive that this in time will hopefully resolve itself.
I can now do very slow heel slides and whilst lying down can bend and straighten the knee so a wee achievement :)
I'm finding it hard being stuck at home, I really miss the freedom of driving but hopefully in the next month or so this too, will be a reality.
I have my final consultation with the surgeon on Wednesday where I was operated on, I will speak my mind although he is so arrogant, I think I'm just wasting my time.
I'm now receiving excellent care and guidance from Faro hospital and its team of Orthopaedic doctors and physiotherapists.
Who would have believed that my two recoveries could be so different, I'm just hoping in the long run it's been worth it, and that I do not need further surgery.
 
:hi: @Sara61
I am sorry this recovery is an ongoing struggle, but it sounds as if there are steady improvements.

Being patient (and being told to stay patient) is so hard.:bored:

I can only imagine you will be ever so happy to get some freedom back!:driver:

Hope Today is a Good Day:flwrysmile:
 
Well the tortoise won the race @Sara61 and you have been through so much already with this recovery that your patience and positivity have been inspiring to read. This back to basics is hopefully the start of a better and stronger knee finally and you won’t look back. Not sure why so many surgeons are arrogant but they often are. My first was like that but he did do a good job so I put up with the dismissive attitude.
This time around I couldn’t bear the thought of dealing with him and have had a much better experience. I have fond memories of old town Faro so can sort of picture you driving there. Best of luck Sarah.
 
@Sara61 So sorry you had to “start over” in this recovery but you are doing so well and have a great attitude!

I guess I could write a book on arrogant Dr’s from all my years in nursing. I learned to state the facts and be as professional as I could no matter how angry I was. And I found surgeons to be VERY arrogant! I just think people put them up on a pedestal because the surgeries (most of them) they do are like miracles for people!

Will pray for continuing improvement for you and that you will be driving soon!
 
Glad you are hanging in there! You sure have been through a lot with knee #2. Hopefully more improvements each day. It is difficult to be patient isn’t it? Prayers & hugs!
 
Another wee achievement I'm now completely off the Tramadol (having slowly reduced doses) and only take Paracetamol occasionally, I'm still taking the 10mg muscle relaxer at night ( I'm sure this is contributing to my great night's sleep) and I'm still on the anti-inflamatory twice daily plus omprazole ( a tummy protector every morning ).
I allow myself the occasional glass or two of wine with meals at weekends and if we go out for a meal.
Amazingly I'm not feeling much pain unless I move in a silly position or push the bend, so hopefully this is a sign that I'm now on the road to a normal recovery:prayer:
 
Hi @Sara61 - I think that you are doing remarkably well considering you only had the op in December and have had set backs. You are an inspiration to us all and a reminder certainly to me that slow and steady wins the race. I had my op at the end of October and have not driven yet, we now have a new car and I hope to drive very soon. Just waiting for general health to recover a bit more and for me to feel confident that both my knee and head can deal with driving. Its great isn't it to be able to have the occassional glass of wine particularly with dinner. Glad you have managed to reduce pain meds and that you are indeed on the road to normal recovery.
God Bless
Carol Anna
 
Hi, @Sara61 ... it’s so good to see how you are doing, with all you have been through. And I’m so glad you have a nicer Dr And team to work with. That can make Such a difference!
Well, it was late last night when I began this, & is now Tuesday morning! I’m so excited for you & your progress! And I agree with the patience.....hopefully, you will be able to get out some soon. I am now doing our grocery shopping, & it feels good. I Do get tired! It just now occurs to me , that is probably the reason my back was bothering me So much yesterday evening, even in the night, when I woke up. Funny, when I overdo, I seem to realize it not so much in my knee, but my back, and, fatigue. I need to try & practice the skill I learned in taking naps during early recovery!
Today is another somewhat busy day, but, I can take it easy while our son’s girlfriend & our daughter take our grandson for his very first ski lesson nearby. Our son, who Hates the cold, will be making his slow-baking pulled pork, it takes all day. I intend to rest! Then they will head back to Germany on Friday. we’ll miss them, but it’s been a wonderful, fun ( and tasty) visit.
I’m hoping you are getting plenty of rest, now that you are home. It sounds like you have good therapy. That can make such a difference. You’ve had some tough setbacks, but I think you will be surprised at how your body responds, if you remember that mantra that @hawk2go told me at the very beginning of my journey... “ slow & easy, slow & easy”. I think I got a little over industrious after my initial surgery. After the cleanout surgery & infection, I paid more heed to that. It was still sometimes slower than I liked, but, well worth it. You’ll find yourself just a Tiny bit better & stronger each day, some more than others, but it adds up. You already sound a lot better, & I find that so inspiring after all you have been through. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers. Take care..
 
Funny, when I overdo, I seem to realize it not so much in my knee, but my back
Yep, I noticed this when I went back to work and when I did some yard work the other day. My knee was fine but my back is what was noticeably weaker and was sore immediately after.

So glad you are having improvements, @Sara61 :yes!: It's been a long road this time but the light is shining at the end of that tunnel. I highly approve of the nightly glass of wine or two.:wink: I resumed that as soon as I was off the heavy meds......
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom