Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Sara61 I was at the OS today to check in on the stubborn knee tightness I have on the RTKR. The tightness is on the outer right side of the knee. He thinks that I have Trochchanteric Bursitis which is inflammation in my hip bursa. The inflammation is irritating my IT band, which in turn is causing the tightness on the outer side of my knee. He is sending me back to PT to have them work on it.

He further offered me and injection which I thought I would skip for now and do PT first, but on further thought have decided to have the injection asap. He also cautioned that I may have to give up my cardio on the elliptical trainer as the repetitive motion is probably irritating my IT band, and said my PT would give me direction on that.

This pesky IT band sounds like it can be responsible for some of the knee issues that occur after TKR.
 
@trinket Thanks for that, it's something else I can ask the Osteo about tomorrow, tbh I haven't a clue what is wrong with it other than the pain is pretty awful, likewise it starts just under my left kneecap on the outer edge, this either travels up to my hip or groin or down to my ankle, some afternoons it's just too painful to walk, I'm almost 3 years post surgery on that leg so a bit annoying at this stage x
 
This pesky IT band sounds like it can be responsible for some of the knee issues that occur after TKR.
I don't have IT band issues thankfully. But my pilates teacher sometimes uses a spiky pilates ball to massage along my IT band area at the end of our sessions. She says it is a difficult area to stretch yourself and massage with a spiky ball is good to release it.
 
Hi, Sara! I'm visiting and if course, checking on you and Izzy. Love your furniture and tissue boxes. Beautiful artwork. And the company of the dogs sounds delightful. Sorry about your mysterious pain. I have to agree with those who mentioned nerve pain and sciatica. The arthritis in my lower spine causes similar leg pain and scary foot numbness sometimes.IT band exercising didn't help me. I am very careful when bending and sitting and lying down, as certain positions press on the nerve in the spine, which then sets off the nerve that runs down the outside of the leg. And as you described, once that starts, other pain (nerves?) join in. I never have any back pain, thankfully, but am stiff and lack flexibility due to the arthritis and have the nerve issue.
I hope you get some relief and sleep soon!
 
Last edited:
@marieltha It sounds familiar the pain, but I'm so confused to where or why it's coming from, I've ruled out sciatica as no back pain whatsoever but it's getting progressively worse.

My saga continues who would have thought after two successful knee replacements and almost 3 years post left knee, I would be back limping and living in pain, without having a clue where it generates from, my thoughts are the greater trochanter bone as the pain starts at the top out side of my thigh and then my outer side just below my left knee near the fibula, possibly a trapped nerve as the pain is not continous however when having an attack it leaves me walking in pain and sleeping/sitting really badly, I'm back taking a lower dosage of Tramadol as nothing else relieves this pain.

I saw an Osteopath, wasn't an overly enjoyable experience and it resolved nothing, and I'm on a waiting list to see my doctor hopefully today. I will at least get a date, I did several exams ( tests) all of which have come back clear ( a doppler & a lower abdominal scan ) Xrays all showing clear and no damage to the hip or knee so it's all a bit strange and rather downheartning.

I have a trip planned to visit my daughter in Barcelona in June for my birthday but seriously reconsidering cancelling as the thought of walking and sightseeing is filling me with dread, plus its a 11 hour car journey.

Keeping fingers & toes crossed as I really don't want to cancel this trip, we have so much planned :boohoo:

I've stopped furniture restorations for the Summer, as I had thought maybe the long hours of bending and standing whilst working on my furniture was the cause, but it appears not, its just the day to day activities that trigger this so a bit mind boggling.

I'm still dog boarding and loving every minute of it, My husband helps me with the walking and we only accept small breed dogs, I've had all different types of breeds, from mutts to princesses and all have their own unique characters. it is such a rewarding occupation, my dachshund is getting better, some she loves others she ignores one of two she dislikes but she is an easy-going sweet little girl. I'm really busy for May and at the moment September is fully booked, so it's taken off quickly, I do interview the dog & it's owner, I need to see if the dog gets on with mine and no aggression is shown. Prior to their stay I do encourage a 1 overnight stay so that the dog doesn't feel abandoned in a strange house whilst it's owners are away on vacation.

The dogs keep me active ( when not in extreme pain) and the walking has helped me shed much needed kilos, I feel fitter mentally still could do with losing more but 7.5 kilos lost since December so feeling pretty pleased with myself, this in turn helps my joints.

Hopefully I will get a firm diagnosis and a liveable solution soon as I so want a normal lifestyle back, to me it seems a never ending pill popping saga
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    IMG-20230407-WA0008_copy_480x640.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 119
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230319_173259_copy_600x800_1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 104
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230408_084430_copy_600x800.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 104
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230409_183650_copy_600x800.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 109
I've ruled out sciatica as no back pain whatsoever but it's getting progressively worse
I don't believe lack of back pain rules out sciatica-as I have had definite sciatica without lower back pain at times.
The sciatica is like a really bad toothache following the path of the sciatic nerve along the buttock, down the back of the thigh and sometimes into the calf and foot. It was the worst pain ( apart from possibly childbirth, and even that is debatable) I have ever had. For me gabapentin/ pregabalin helped a bit and fingers crossed it has now gone since my leg was straightened with my PKR.
 
Hi, Sara,
I hope the Ortho surgeon identifies the source(s) of your pain. I understand how doctors move through eliminating causes in order to identify the true cause, but am impatient with that process; I also am not satisfied with only knowing what it is not. I want to know what it is. Sigh. So accept my sympathy and empathy in your quest to get this pain both solved and resolved.
Your description of your dog sitting is delightful, as are the pics you shared. I really like the one on the path/road, where I believe it is your dachshund looks like she is the scout leading the way.
I agree with @EalingGran about the sciatica, as I also couldn’t imagine I had that without any back pain. Prednisone (for inflammmation) with gaba (to sleep) for flare ups helped me. I have been told that nerve issues can be quite common after joint replacements. Cold, damp weather seems to trigger my nerves. Thankfully, we rarely have that weather.
In the past, I have had trochanteric bursitis in my hips and got cortisone injections (only from an orthopedic surgeon who knows exactly where and how to do that) which helped. Pain roars until the inflammation is relieved. Repetitive motions I was told usually cause this. I stopped the elliptical completely, and varied my walking. Bursitis sacs are everywhere. My grandmother suffered with knee bursitis. Perhaps you are right about the bending while restoring furniture?
I wish you well at your os appointment.
 
:console2: I hate to read that you are going through this and have no idea why. I pray a solution comes quickly, along with the correction!
 
Hi, just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope you got an appointment quickly!
 
@marieltha I saw my orthopaedic doctor/surgeon today and sadly my left hip joint has arthritis, hence the intermittent pain in the groin and down the front of my left leg.
I am going to start a electrical deep bone impulse treatment over 5 weeks, it is a 40 minute session once a week, the doctor is hoping as this is in the early stages it will prevent the inevitable...fingers crossed as I really can't face more surgery just yet.
At this rate I'll be a bionic woman. :heehee: :flabber:

All else is going well, I've finished all my arty projects for the Summer, I will only restart my woodwork in the Autumn as now its getting to hot.

My new venture is coming along nicely, I never realised there is a great demand for luxury boarding, I'm getting excellent reviews and fortunately I've been lucky with incredibly sweet dogs of all shapes and breeds, I'm sticking to small breeds however at the moment I have a whoppet whippet ( quite tall) whom is a puppy staying, she certainly keeps me active and on my feet, I'd forgotten what having a puppy is like especially a dangling long legs whom steals everything she sees in sight. I'm constantly find underwear, odd shoes etc around my garden :rotfl:
Attached a photo of the "whopper whippet" she was just 1 yesterday- look how her head is on my dachshunds she is just so sweet when she is asleep! and the other sweet little chap is a 12 year old Jack Russell with more energy than all of us here put together haha, he was amazing, he played fetch all day long he was like a durecell battery ...he is one of my regulars.

Just to give you a giggle...
Carlos stayed at home this afternoon as I had the doctor's appointment in Faro.
So on my way home, I popped into Tesco's ( a English food store), anyway as I didn't have a shopping bag, I bought a paper bag.

As I got home, Margot ( the Whippet) came pounding down the side of the house to say hello accidentally ripping the paper bag and all my shopping went flying, she then proceeded to run away with a packet of dog treats in her mouth, the other 3 dogs staying joined in and ran away with something in each of their mouths :flabber: Carlos then spent 15 minutes chasing in one direction and I hobbling in the other, I wasn't overly amused at the time as my leg was throbbing...however thankfully we retrieved everything undamaged, I had hoped to sneak in the house with my naughty purchases undetected, I was caught red handed haha
Looking back it was kinda funny though:doggie:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230514_170306_copy_600x862.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 99
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230512_191957_copy_600x800.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your hip arthritis. I really hope the electrical deep bone treatment helps.
I would be very interested to hear how it goes. I have hip arthritis as well. Mine thankfully has gone into remission with my knee surgery/ leg straightening but expect it will recur at some point.
Faro is a beautiful little city. I have visited a couple of times and loved it.
 
Hi, thanks for the full and entertaining update. Knowing what is causing your pain at least allows you to begin a treatment plan, which is, I think, better than not knowing. The deep bone treatment is not something I have ever heard of, so please do share your experience. And the warm summer weather is usually kinder to those suffering with arthritis than cold, damp weather. I am not familiar with your climate, though. Is it cold/damp there in the winter? We have a very brief Florida winter, which is hardly winter at all to most people, but I am ultra sensitive to the cold, so I much prefer the warm months. Taking Celebrex for arthritis certainly helps me. It doesn’t work as a pain pill; rather, by reducing the inflammation, it keeps the arthritis from feeling painful—at least, that’s how it feels to me.
Thanks for sharing your hilarious shopping experience with the pups. Your visitor doggies sound and look adorable. I’d never seen a tall whippet. Striking!
As for your becoming bionic, I used to joke about my making that transition, but after all my surgeries, I have to say that I feel more robotic than bionic. :kitty:
 
Good morning, Sara! I haven’t been on the forum in a while, life has been a bit crazy here lately. I’m so sorry to hear that you are having pain again. And then not knowing just Why….. that is hard! I do hope someone can identify just what is going on, & come up with a remedy- and soon! I’m hoping your new procedure might give you some relief. You have been through so much already. I’m so glad your knees are doing well. It’s amazing what a difference that can make. Mine, at a full year & half out, is doing well. I still don’t dare get on my knee, and I have to be really careful about falling, it’s really difficult to recover & stop the fall. But, it’s sure wonderful to not be in that constant bone-on-bone pain. That is a real blessing! And I’m So happy to know that you are no longer in pain with Your knee. Now, time to get this other situation remedied.

We have had a very challenging past few months! I’m still struggling with my balance problem. My PCP (who is an Internist), first had several things looked at … my ears, brain, and, echocardiogram. And, had me start back with physical therapy, and, using my cane again. An MRI showed some small strokes sometime in the past. So she referred me to a Neurologist. So now, after a long evaluation, I’m going through a battery of tests - extensive bloodwork, various scans, and, coming up, a spinal tap. The Neurologist does not feel the strokes are causing my problem. My B6 is high, but, neither Dr thinks that is the full answer. And, Now I have a sinus infection, and, a bad skin flare up, both being treated with some high powered antibiotics. I’m hoping they won’t require having to postpone my spinal tap, I want to get that over with, & hopefully have some answers. And, I’ll be Very glad to be done with the antibiotics, they are very rough on the stomach. Thank goodness for cell phone alarms! My husband & I came up with a schedule, & studied all the info as to what foods to avoid, etc. NO COFFEE! And, I have to avoid dairy & high calcium products. At least it’s just for another week.

And, my husband is just now out of a hand cast. He had a table saw accident, nearly severing his pinky finger. He was doing a last cut on our new bedside tables ( they are Beautiful!). It had been a long, difficult project, full of new things he hadn’t done before. Nearly done. But, his finger should recover, just the loss of a nerve on the outer side, and, he is now in a brace & starting physical therapy. So we are working on some other projects, one, going through our mountains of unorganized photos! A real job, for sure. Also, hoping to get our garden in soon. A neighbor has inspired us with doing his plants from seed. We’re trying a few, with a rack fitted with shelves & grow lights. Really exciting! They are all doing well. And, I Think our rains are about to settle down! Lots of thunderstorms with hail & high winds. But, we’re hoping to hand till the gardens & put a few things in today. It’s a beautiful, sunny day, and all this rain is helping our drought some, good news! School is almost out, & we will have our grandson for a couple of day most weeks -looking forward to that! So I must say, life is good, as my sister always says.

Btw, I loved the photos of your “guests”! And your story of the shopping trip was hilarious! I must share it with my daughter….they got a puppy last summer, “ Racer” , a labradoodle. He’s a good dog, but still very much a Puppy! They get some pretty funny stories of Racer & the kitties. The larger cat & the pup will play “chase” in the backyard, the cat chasing the dog. Liz will appreciate your story…. It sounds like their 2 cats, who are real characters & in to everything!

Take care, I’ll be thinking of you & hoping your Drs can find the solution. You deserve that, for sure. Have yourself a lovely day,☀️
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom