Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@Sara61
Sounds like a great job! I would have house envy.
You did an impressive day’s work with all that time on your feet.
Wonder why an extremely elderly couple would rent a place with stairs?
Hope the season is good for you.
 
I still don't like stairs. For more than 25 years I went down them backward. My OS back then said it was a lot less stress on the knees so I developed that habit. Now, when I look down a flight of stairs I get the heeby-jeebies! For you to do them so soon out is remarkable. You go, girl!
 
My current partial will never be able to go downstairs, unless it is a very short step, and even then, it feels like the joint is out of place, after just trying one step. I’ve learned to live with it, and rarely try going down foot over foot. It’s not worth the discomfort.
 
Yay!! Good for you!

On another note, this sounds like a fun and interesting job..... Meeting new people, touring them around these villas and not a lot of heavy lifting. :wink: Where do I sign up?
 
Hi, @Sara61 .... how wonderful to see your continued progress! You’ve been through so much, it just does my heart good! This can seem like a Slowwww thing sometimes, but, what a good feeling to be “ getting there”! It’s been interesting for me to read all the challenges folks have with stairs....for some reason, that has not been too much of a problem for me. We Do have “split” stairs, with a nice “ landing” in between. I think that really helps. Facing a traditional full flight still intimidates me... and I take my time, always! Also, When my knee got really bad, my husband installed railings on the side that was missing , both to upstairs, and our basement. That really helps me.
Now, if I can just learn to watch for uneven sidewalks! Today we had some work done on our car, & walked to an area nearby to kill time while they did the work. Well, I hit an uneven spot on the sidewalk, & hit Hard! Fortunately, I had a protective knee sleeve on my right knee, & knee, face, new glasses & teeth are all OK. But my arms did not fare as well ... one elbow hit, & I now have a big, ugly hematoma on that, a big swollen bruise on my other arm, and, my left hand scraped. ( looks like I will be back in longer sleeves for a while). But, the knee is FINE! I’m still a bit “wonky” at times balance wise, my Dr assured me that it will improve as my quad strength gets better, and my PT said that balance is often one of the last accomplishments...... along with going downstairs. So, don’t feel discouraged as to your stairs progress, you are just doing So much, and continue to be a real inspiration. I’m just so very excited for how very well you are doing. Do take care, and enjoy every day, and every accomplishment, no matter how small. As the saying goes, “ you’ve come a long way, baby!”
Everyone have a lovely day & weekend coming on......and watch those uneven sidewalks!
 
Hi @Catalien45
What a nasty fall ! Hope your poor hand and arms are not too sore.
At least the new glasses and your teeth are ok.
 
Hi @Catalien45 , sorry to hear of your mishap! Hopefully you'll mend quickly from it and will be back hard at work on your garden! All the best and don't let the uneven sidewalks pull your feet from under you again!!
 
@Catalien45 . Aww thank you :roseshwr: your concern and messages are so so lovely and uplifting

:flabber: how awful for you I do hope you are not too sore and thank goodness your knee and rest of you is not damaged or too painful. Falling is one of our biggest fears and I think that's why walking and achieving a good balance is so complicated for us, as instead of walking normally we hobble along.
I almost had a similar experience last week, we were walking our daschund along the seafront promenade and fortunately I was holding on to my husband's arm as I too hit an uneven cobblestone, although I didn't hit the ground it gave me a huge scare, hubby just told me to watch where I walk and my knee grumbled for days after.
Today is mother's day in Portugal also its National workers day, in Portugal Mother's day always falls on the 1st Sunday in May so every year is different, as my daughter works and lives in the UK, my husband & I will just have a quiet day at home and celebrate when they come in June, it's days like today I envy all the Mums that keep their chick's close by or still in their nest, however jobs are so badly paid and mostly just Summer work available in the Algarve it's is good that Gabriela flew the nest as she is having a far better life in the UK.
Happy Day to all xx
 
Well, here it is, Monday, and I’m finally getting to reading some posts! First, thanks, all 3 of you, @Sara61 , @kiwicurls, & @glidefloss. Scrapes are healing well, although the elbow is sore, & I really bruised, so now turning all sorts of interesting colors.
We’ve been back to work on the gardens, & my husband had to basically re-build one , & had tilled & prepared another area for our Sungold tomato plant, with delicious Sweet tiny orange tomatoes. But, it does Not share space well, so, we keep it a bit separated from our 3 large tomatoes. Long story short, he decided to just build a 3rd raised garden. Our wonderful neighbors helped him haul the heavy 6 ft, 6x6 timbers to the backyard. No injuries, but, a sore back. But...walking into our garden shed, he scraped his arm on the door, & got a nasty injury! Later, we were laughing, that we don’t hurt ourselves doing the Hard things, but, just Ordinary things, like walking down a sidewalk, or into the shed! We’re both mending well, & watching unfamiliar paths for uneven surfaces, and in his case, wearing long sleeves when he works outback...... btw, I do have a black elastic support brace that I wear on “the knee” , pretty much all the time. It gives me added support, and protection lest I fall. My surgeon assured me I could wear it & not do any harm. I got it on Amazon long before my surgery, and, I feel sure that it protected me in this fall.
Sara, I know what you mean.... I had wondered if the rocks there ever presented a problem. It’s scary when you lose your balance, even if it is a near-fall. Our kitty has a bad habit of getting right under my feet,so I have to be careful of that. She’s such a sweet little thing, I can’t stand the thought of harming her. One thing, for sure ... I do find myself moving more slowly & deliberately, in general, and especially on any stairs. I think one reason I tripped on that sidewalk, I’m now comfortable moving at a fairly brisk rate in our neighborhood, but, this sidewalk was unfamiliar, and I was probably walking fast, as it was cold & windy.
I hope you had a nice MothersDay. Ours is coming up this Sunday, we’ll spend it with our daughter & her family. Our son is in Germany. Like your daughter, opportunities in his field were much better there. He loves his job, loves living in Germany, and, he has a serious girlfriend there. So we don’t see him on most holidays, but, have our celebrations when he is here. They spend the big days with her family in Italy. So we all get “ bonus” holidays! It seems like the months are literally flying by this year... September will be here before you know it.
It is drizzly & cold here today... the rain is welcome, & a good rain, as it should soak well into the ground, which has been dry and hard. We should have sun & warmth back by the weekend, & our favorite nursery should be open by then, so perfect for putting plants in. I can’t Wait! I’ve been washing out all my pots, as some plants... peppers & a patio tomato, & a few others that don’t like our hot, lower sun here, & do better on our patio, with early morning & later afternoon sun. Looking forward to planting & seeing it all grow. Summer’s just around the corner!
Tuesday morning now.... everyone have a lovely day... and Sara, be sure to watch those rocks, and continue to improve. Take care, and be patient with yourself. It’s always so good to see your progression.
 
@Catalien45 Just love receiving your posts they are so uplifting x

Yesterday I spent 5 hours out and about, 4 of them wandering around IKEA ( a feat I must say on in its own ) and a shopping mall, I managed this alone and with no aids whatsoever so a huge progression. :yes!:

Admittedly I was tired after ( any normal 60+) person would be, but my knee wasn't too swollen nor has it given me any extra grief because of it so I'm now beginning to see a better future ahead.

I started working in April but decided at the end of the month, I wasn't enjoying the job, the salary was pretty dire and the amount of hours running ( trying to run) left me exhausted and drained at the end of each day so I resigned. I had initially taken the job to get out & meet people but soon realise that actually I'm quite happy pottering around at home, gardening, housekeeping etc is all my 5 month knee needs right now with of course the occasional trip to the shopping mall.:heehee:

My physiotherapy is walking, occasionally I use my mini peddler but walking is my best exercise, I haven't attempted the hills in the countryside yet but I'm enjoying flat walking along the promenade beside the sea.

My Knee is not yet strong enough to manage going up or down the stairs normally, but I know now that this will happen sometime in the future, all in all I'm happy with my progress.
 
Hi @Sara61
I’m glad you chucked in the job and are happy pottering about at home. I retired a year ago and don’t miss work at all!
4 hours in IKEA? Sounds fun. I always spend too much in that store.
I baked a few cakes for the grandchildren yesterday but all that standing has made me sore. I suppose at 4 weeks post op it was too much for my new knee.
It’s hard when you just want to get back to normal, isn’t it. Very frustrating.
 
@kiwicurls - cake baking is grand achievement, I don't think I was baking cakes at 4 week post replacement, be patient you will soon be enjoying life and wishing you had time to be a couch potato :heehee:
 
I baked a few cakes for the grandchildren yesterday but all that standing has made me sore. I suppose at 4 weeks post op it was too much for my new knee.
It's great you were able to manage treats for the kids.:yes!: Give yourself some time to recover.
I remember sweating profusely while scrambling an egg in week 2. Good times, lol!
 
4 hours in IKEA, that's a LOT! That reminds me, we need to go there too, they always have such a great deal on those #2032 batteries that I use for my little timered tea light candles. My son loves their coffee too.

Glad your knee is settling down now, Sarah, just in time for summer!
 
Hi, @Sara61.... enjoying my 2nd cup of coffee as I look out at the beautiful sunny morning here. You sound like you’re doing great! I’m so glad to see that you decided to quit your job.... it’s nice to just have time to “putter” & enjoy life. We had a small business making handcrafted jewelry & keepsake boxes. I loved so much of it. But we did make the decision to close the business roughly a year before the pandemic. We started keeping our grandson 2 days & nights a week while his Mom & Dad worked from home ( a wonderful experience for us all), also, my knee really got bad. And, we both found that we were enjoying being retired more & more. My husband is exploring the art of marquetry ( use of various veneers to create an image on wood - currently he’s working on a cabinet door front),, and I am tackling some projects that have been “ shelved” for years, and enjoying sewing for fun, and doing more “ fun” & creative cooking again.

So we’re both enjoying just having more time together, and pursuing some things we didn’t have time for before. ( I do still miss our trips to pick out the wood for our builds, I still love looking at all of the beautiful types of woods, some of the exotic ones are incredible, and also the domestic ones, there can be such beautiful markings and “ character” in the wood, but all in all, I Love having time to “ putter”, as you put it.

After the really rough time you had, I think you deserve having the time to just enjoy life! It sounds so very beautiful where you are.... the photos you have posted are so very lovely. It looks like things grow well there. Do you grow vegetables? We have 3 raised gardens in full sun, and, I have large pots on our porch for things like my beloved chard, which don’t like our hot sun as much. It looks like flowers do well in your home. I do love doing flowers in pots! Even though I don’t particularly enjoy the high heat, I do love the growing season, and all the beauty it brings. We do have a cold front approaching fo this weekend, with probability of rain and snow! So we’ll have to cover our tomatoes & tomatillos that we set out this weekend, and bring pots inside. We call it “ spring in the Rockies”.... sudden changes! But, I think it will be warm consistently after this coming Monday.

I’m impressed that you spent Four Hours wandering around IKEA! Our only experience at an IKEA was in Germany years ago while visiting our son.... it was Huge! I was patting myself on the back a couple of days ago for finally going to a “ Super Walmart”. Lots of walking, for sure. It’s interesting... like you, I find that those experiences... walking, or standing for a long period ( we recently waited in line 3 hours, for a tour of the B29 “ Flying Fortress” from WW2, a very special moment for my husband, to see it up close); while I was Tired ( in my case “77 tired), :-)..... my knee was FINE! I Do find that my body still rebels at my overdoing, and the fatigue may last for a while if I really push it, but, no doubt, that’s just my body’s way of protecting me from myself. Happens more than it should, but, there you go. I guess just a part of my stubborn nature.

I should get us some breakfast going....we have a busy day ahead, we have to cover, & bring in, plants before the cold front hits. Enjoy a beautiful day there, and have fun puttering..... it is always so very good to see how well you are doing!
 
@Catalien45 Wow what a lovely way to spend your retirement, now I need to discover all about the art of marquetry, I too enjoy refurbishing old furniture and bringing it back to life, my parents left me several beautiful pieces that sadly were too outdated for my home so, several coats of paint and various forms of decoupage, I now have lovely pieces of furniture with fond memories.
Unfortunately as we let out our home for the high summer season, growing vegetables we've discovered doesn't work well, we do not have mains running water and rely on our borehole so water is precious and our climate is hot & dry most of the year, but like you I love pots and the plants I choose are colourful but do not require copious amounts of water.

I saw my original surgeon from our local hospital ( he is the one that put my name on the list for both surgeries but due to a huge waiting list at the hospital- I was referred) he says the implants looks good but I lost a huge amount of muscle so it will take time to rebuild and strengthen, he has told me to flat level walk, use my peddler and start swimming now that the warmer months are here, he was realistic and said that I'm only half way in this journey and to carry on using ice for at least a year especially after a busy day.
We had a laugh as he said so many patients whom have never lead an active physical life prior think they will be hiking and doing radical sports after, the truth is if you didn't do it before you certainly won't be doing it after, phew that gets me out of those rigerous mountains trails my husband insists on doing whilst we are on holidays :heehee: Sunbeds here I come...

All in all my knee is slowly improving, a very different experience from my 1st left knee, but many factors were at play, both knees needed replacing in 2019, due to hospital protocol in Portugal ( unless one is in an accident) they only operate 1 knee at a time in a two year period, so my left was first, my right then supported my left for two years degenerating in the meantime, so more surgery was needed, the set back and loss of confidence 4 weeks after surgery and age, although here I'm considered young having had two knees replaced by the age of 61.
My surgeon said that he is doubtful I will return to my former job, it's too demanding on my body so he suggested a early retirement, and to enjoy the garden etc - my kinda guy such a nice caring surgeon/doctor.
Usually I would only now see him in a years time, but he wants me to return in October for a further check by then I hope to be walking straighter and with a stronger knee.

It is a shame the surgeon whom operated on me, does not have the same caring manner, the hospital he works for is all about the money. However the implants are good and should last me a lifetime, so despite my experience with him and the private hospital I cannot fault the expertise of his operating skills.

My daughter Gabriella and her partner Josh will spend the month of June here with us ( they both work from home in London) my husband & I are both Geminis celebrating our birthdays days apart so June is my favourite month of the year, the house & annex is ready for their arrival next week, each day I set a wee job for myself, this year we have booked a wee cottage on the beach a small island just off the coast of Faro ( Ilha Armona) not too far from us, but a taxi boat takes you out to these small islands, we are only spending 3/4 nights for my birthday treat, the cottages are basic but comfortable However, the views are spectacular, and on opening our door the seafront and golden sands await us. :surfer:
Fortunately pets are allowed so our doxie Mali is coming with us:loveshwr:
 
Glad you knee is cooperating @Sara61. I know you look forward to your visit with the kids and pacing yourself as you ready the home is definitely the way to go. Post a pic or 2 of the island if you can, I'd love to see the view.
 
Oh Sarah, that trip to the island sounds lovely! :swim: :surfer:(those seem to be the only beach-y emojis we have)

I'd love to see some pics too. Your visit with your daughter is much-deserved. Glad the knee is doing well.
 
Happy June, Sara! ( well, one day early). Your visit with your daughter sounds wonderful. It’s so great that you are doing well, & will be able to enjoy the visit. The trip to the island sounds so very nice. We feel a bit wintry, almost , here, with rain & cool. But it will be sunny & warm again soon, and our garden will love the rain. Papa always insisted that “ rainwater is Much better than city water”, and, his garden & flowers seemed to agree....
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom