Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

7 months post surgery, my knee has finally made progress, I'm walking aid free & I am able to do most things and rarely think about either of them until, I either place my foot wrongly or turn in a silly manner, then by jovey I know it.
I'm still icing every night, must admit in this heatwave it's not only my knee that is getting iced :eyebrows: so as you can imagine I have several bags on the go, today was well over 104 degrees in the shade.
Occasionally I'm able to do the stairs normally, but mostly I'm still one step at a time, I don't yet feel confident having had both knees replaced, I still don't trust either of them fully yet, but it's still early days.
I should exercise more, but to be honest it's just too hot to move very far outdoors, lame excuse I know hahaha.

My daughters visit was lovely, the month flew past and now she is back in London, we will now only see her at Christmas but such is life, our trip to the island was fun, very relaxing and the daily walk to the beach fid my knees the would of good, I didn't attempt to swim in the sea as the waves were exceptionally high.

Sending greetings to all my BoneSmart friends I hope you are all well and your knees are all behaving - big hugs to you all.
 
Last edited:
Glad your knee is finally behaving. I hope you can soon trust your knee-it's difficult to switch our mindsets from bad knees to good knees again, but with time and healing, we learn to once again trust them.

104 sounds like our summers here, but unfortunately 104, and even higher, is normal for us. We stay indoors most of the day, and save outdoor activities for early mornings. I noticed your icing comment; do you not have a/c in your home, or were you just talking about when you go outside you ice more than just your knee? I cannot imagine living without a/c!
 
@lovetocookandsew we are currently house sitting a dear friends property for his daughters ( he sadly passed earlier this year) as the property is fairly isolated we agreed ( rather foolishly) to stay here whilst our home is rented to holidaymakers, our wee condo by the beach is also rented this year so this sounded like an ideal solution...till we arrived here at Faulty towers :rotfl: sadly the A/C unit blows all the fuses in the electricity box, so we cannot turn it on, I sleep with a floor fan pointed directly at me haha, the cooker has 1 ring working, so I cook in relays, the list goes on, but the plus side is that it is quiet, with beautiful country views, it will make someone, whom is willing to spend a few Bob on it a wonderful home, I'm just too old now to even think about it, they are selling it for a pittance. Both my own properties have working aircon so yes I miss it, Roll on September :ice:
 
Last edited:
104 and no a/c. :flabber: I can't imagine! Back in 2008 in my old house it hit 105 one summer day (no a/c). We spent the day driving in the car for lunch and eating in the car (with a/c) and went to the movies that night. The rest of the time we were in the basement with fans on. We finally have a/c in this new house (we put it in a couple of years ago) and it's heavenly!:ice:
 
Glad to hear of your progress!
Faulty Towers :loll:
Well, glad you are feeling better to cope with your home away from home!
 
Hi @Sara61
Good to read your latest! Must be awful without air conditioning. I prefer the cold because you can always put on an extra layer.
I should exercise more too but it’s freezing and rainy here. (my excuse anyway).
I managed the stairs at my daughters place last week and was amazed at how easy it was. But very sore the next day. Granddaughter was anazed at how quickly I went upstairs and told me I’m not an old lady any more! Don’t know about that…
 
@kiwicurls right now I totally agree with you, this July has been the hottest ever today it was 107 degrees in the shade, I actually got in the car and went for a drive as at least the car has A/C
I tried stairs at the weekend, if I have handrails either side I'm able to go up, but my brain freezes completely going down, I think in the Autumn I may just book a few physiotherapy sessions to learn how to get past this mental fear.
I know it's early months still but I keep comparing the two knees.
Although I no longer suffer from any pain and mostly swelling has gone, I'm still not confident and yet haven't come to the conclusion this was really successful, I'm still very slow at walking and constantly apologising to people because if it.
 
Although I no longer suffer from any pain and mostly swelling has gone, I'm still not confident and yet haven't come to the conclusion this was really successful, I'm still very slow at walking and constantly apologising to people because if it.
I’m sorry this second knee is not going as well as the first. As you know, you are barely more than halfway healed in this year long, on average, recovery. Try to be optimistic. I had a very slow, difficult first year, and even though I ultimately didn’t have a good outcome, I did have a lot more improvement in my second year. You had some extra complications with this second knee, but Time is on your side! :console2:
 
this July has been the hottest ever today it was 107 degrees in the shade
:groan:

:ice::ice::ice:Sending you some ice cubes to help you cool off......

I remember some very hot days in my old house (no a/c). It was a split level so living room, dining room, bedrooms all on the second floor and heat rises..... Lots of spray bottles of water to mist ourselves with and fans going full blast......
 
Confusing myself now, I think I'm just now in August I'm actually 8 months post surgery was operated on the 7th of December 2021 so my last post was actually at 7 months anyway not much difference.

My right Knee and I are not yet friends, I'm not sure if I'm doing too little or should I be trying harder, I seem to aggravate it most of the time, walking is almost like I have a elastic band or iron rod around it, leading me to think the implant is bigger than the space provided as it doesn't look overly swollen, I have appointment booked in October with an orthopaedic surgeon ( the original one whom recommended me for surgery) however not sure at this stage what can very done about it, just hoping that time will infact be my friend and in a a year or two, I can call it a success, there is no pain as such but walking isn't as easy or flowing as I thought it would be, the strain of walking lopsided is now causing a slight pain to my left hip.:flabber:
Stairs well....I have a complete fear of descending them, going up is awkward enough and I need handrail either side for support, it's still very slow but downwards the knee just freezes and locks, surely at 8 months I should be able to manage stairs by now, I'm getting tired of having to excuse myself for being so slow maybe I should go back to physio but not sure what they can do to solve this situation & I really do not want to be sliced open once more so Time is hopefully the essence x

Sending greetings & hugs to all you brave BoneSmarties xx
 
Hi Sara61. I had my LTKR on the 1st December 2021 and my knee also has the tight elastic band every other day. The other day it feels if the implant is to big for my knee space. I hope you get the answers here because I was going to wait until 9 months and ask the same questions. Take care Jcx
 
I'm sure sorry, Sarah, that things are not improving. :sad: I hope you get some answers in October. It's hard to believe August is already half-gone, isn't it?
 
@Susie-Q this year has flown, probably as normality is back almost in our day to day lives, Covid and the pandemic seems ( here at least ) a thing of the past, although I believe there are many cases but no mention of it in the newspapers or the daily news.
So far I've been lucky, even thou I haven't avoided contact and all my family members have had it, I have not, just hoping it stays that way.

@Jcx Sorry to hear you too are having problems with this tight band feeling, however relieved to know I'm not exclusive, let's hope by 10/12 months we can both look back and this feeling is a thing of the past.
 
So far I've been lucky, even thou I haven't avoided contact and all my family members have had it, I have not, just hoping it stays that way.
Same here. I've been reading that there are just some people who won't get it for whatever reason. Your immunity is strong, your vaccine immunity is lasting longer than the average or your constitution is just not going to put up with it and clears it out. Or you had it somewhere along the way and never knew it. :shrug:
 
Heading towards my 9th month post surgery not much has happened in the last month of so, noticeably less pain but in the terms of new achievements nothing to report, I'm still limping even thou I'm wearing sensible shoes and concentrating on the heal to toe walk, so not sure as to why, my knee does feel quite stiff after maybe 20 minutes walking, stairs still an issue although where I'm staying I have none to practise on so once we are back home I'll start pushing myself to do them normally, not overly worried as it's still early days and it did take my left knee which is now almost at the 2 years post surgery mark, where, I can finally say, "its perfect."
I see my surgeon for my final post surgery consultation in October, I think there is nothing more that can be done as time is all that it now needs.

For those of you whom followed both my surgeries, I'm almost moving back home, I finally got used to "faulty towers" maybe the peace & tranquility has played a part in helping my knee to improve , but I am now looking forward to moving back home once more, just the thought of my own comfortable bed is a huge plus factor, I'm sure my current bed has strengthened my knees daily as I have never slept on anything so low in my life, I've developed muscles in my arms just from the force of getting out of bed daily :heehee: I did think of putting bricks under the bed to make it higher but it was just too heavy to lift, so we really do get exercises out of our day to day living.

I was offered my old back job at the beginning of the Summer, but sadly unfortunately it was just too demanding, ( I was an official tour guide previously) I was unable to keep up with the demands of the job, so decided it was time to retire and let the younger fitter generation take over.

So now I'm back to my love of making something old new, namely restoration of old furniture giving it a fresh and modern look, there are so many beautiful aids on the market that a ugly piece of furniture can look stunning, this is my project for the future, trouble is I love all the pieces I do, I will find it hard to let them go..
 
So now I'm back to my love of making something old new, namely restoration of old furniture giving it a fresh and modern look, there are so many beautiful aids on the market that a ugly piece of furniture can look stunning, this is my project for the future, trouble is I love all the pieces I do, I will find it hard to let them go..
I love that you can do this! I love to look on Pinterest at the before and afters of furniture. I wish you lived closer, I have 2 pieces of an antique (old!) dining room set, not ugly at all, but would look great updated, and I just don’t feel I can do it myself.

I‘m sorry this second knee has been so different from the first one. :console2:
 
Your project of 'redoing' furniture sounds exciting. Now, you can settle back and take your time doing what you love to do. That knee will probably take a backseat, too, since you'll have something else that is more important to you to take up your time!
 
Hi' @Sara61! I’m just sorta “ catching up on my Bonesmart buddies, & was excited to see that you’d recently posted. It sounds like you’ve had a challenging summer. I remember growing up in the 50’s & 60’s in Texas, with no a/c. Not many people had it, but I have to think that pollution was less of a problem, and, we were in a small community out a ways from city. ( we were in the Dallas area). ItDid get hot there! I do think heat is a bigger problem than it used to be. When we moved to Colorado 22 years ago, a/c was not really necessary. But when it was time to replace our heating system about 4 years ago, we also put in central air…. No regrets, as we’ve had some pretty hot summers since.
My TKR was in October of 2021, & then the second surgery for the infection cleanout, etc in mid- November. So in a similar time- frame as yours.
I’m OK with stairs, although I Do go slowly & carefully, and, our stairs are “split “, with a landing half way down. That really helps me, I’m far more likely to fall on the downward trip, & that really is scary! Also, my balance is pretty lousy, seems worse lately. We are back to walking about 25 minute Monday-Friday, just over a mile. And, I’m trying to work on leg lifts, @kiwicurls said she found those most useful in building quad muscles. ( on my last visit, my surgeon told me that strengthening my quads would help with the balance). And I’m pretty active, in general. But evidently, my ADL’s are not enough. ☹️.
I At present, our tomatoes are truly “ bumpers crop”, & I give away what I can, and am cooking down & freezing the rest. Also, I have several pounds of tomatillos to cook into a sauce. Today, I’m taking it easy, as we had our flu shots yesterday, & Covid booster on Thursday. So, great time to do a little catching up.
I do remember what an awful time you had with this knee, & am so happy to see that in general, you are doing so much better. My surgeon did tell me that this knee might not be Perfect, but would definitely be better. It is So good to not be in the constant pain of bone-on-bone, having to use the cane, & even then, moving So Slowly! My biggest challenge seems to be my fear of tripping. I cannot recover well from falls, so have to be very careful, especially in our backyard. But I’m in hopes of that getting better as my strength improves.
Your furniture restoration sounds really exciting! My husband is still working on his marquetry, & finished the cabinet for our bathroom. It tuned out really beautiful… I will try to get photos to you soon. Now he’s working on some bedside tables for our bedroom, also to have marquetry on the fronts. Wish we lived closer, I’d love to give you our old ones, they are semi-antiques, & we’re both just ready for a change. We’re both really excited about these. They’re a pretty big project.
I’m looking forward and to working on some sewing projects, there are several things I’ve been wanting to do for some time now. But did not have time for a good while, & then, because of the knee pain, just could not get into it. So now, I’m Ready!
Well, I will close this, and once again, so very glad that you are basically doing a lot better. I think of you often. I believe it is middle of the night there, so I will wish you a lovely day!
 
Hi, Sara, I found myself thinking of you and @Izabel recently--possibly because I was riding in our "little" car and thought of you both in yours.
Congratulations on your second knee! I've been told going downstairs is the most difficult action, and it certainly has been for me. LOL, if you ever watch NCIS, Gibbs always takes the stairs up and the elevator down, citing his knee which supposedly was scripted that way because of his (actor Mark Harmon's) knee surgery in real life. I get very little practice on stairs and so lack confidence.

Last year, I had foot tendon repair surgery and that was more difficult than the knees or shoulder because of the long period of non-weightbearing required.
This year, I'm enjoying not having any surgeries (fingers crossed & saying Hail Mary's) and focused on not getting Covid, so am masked and avoid people indoors and am quite happy to continue doing both; my husband and I have not had it either, nor do we want to, as you mentioned. Still walking every day, both on land, and in the pool.
Take care!
 
Good morning again….I can’t believe it is mid-October already! We are now having true fall weather, & the trees have been spectacular! There are lots of trees in our neighborhood, & lots of color, & this year, no early freeze, so they lasted for some time. Now the nights are high 20’s & low 30’s, so most of the leaves on the ground & being raked up. We’ve pulled up most of the garden except the tomatillos, & I found one farmer at our Farmers Market who’s thrilled to get a bunch to make her salsa! Yay!

I’m always so happy to see that you are doing so much better than you were for so long there….you had such a tough time of it for quite some time. I wonder if that might be part of the reason you are not progressing as much as you’d like? It seems that that entire episode had to have taken an additional toll on your body, so it might take longer to fully heal. Being back in your own home should also help, also. I’m doing fine going up & down stairs, so, as we have a 2 story house, and, pantry space & laundry in the basement….. (and, I have a bad memory, necessitating extra trips!), I get a lot of stair trips in. Fortunately, our stairs are “ split” with a landing, so that helps me. I’m still struggling with my balance & lightheadedness. So, following some sage advice on our forum, am working on leg lifts and “the stork”, and, a “ slow march” my PT had me do. Hopefully, these will kick in soon. I’m reminded that my 2nd surgery for the infection cleanout was in mid November, followed by 6 weeks of IV antibiotics & 3 months of oral antibiotics. So,trying to be patient with myself. I’m sure you also have that first knee to compare with. I keep reading how two knees on the same person can be different. I’m just so glad you are no longer in that constant pain.
I’m wondering how your furniture restoration is coming? Our son-in-law’s mother does that also. I think she really enjoys bringing older pieces back to a new life. My husband is working on making us new bedside tables, & we are both so excited! He has just finished the bird designs, mine 2 cardinals, his, bluebirds…. And a cute little smiling worm on my drawer, and a ladybug on his, for a whimsical touch! So now, he’s ready to tackle those marquetries, & finally, assemble the two pieces of furniture. It’s a long process. I’m sending you some photos of the cabinet he made. The marquetry is a hummingbird on trumpet vine on the front, we have a beautiful trumpet vine that cascades over our fence from next door, the blossoms orange, & beautiful all summer with the
[Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
sunset behind. So this is a lovely reminder of it all year. The inside is a chickadee bird, just because we both liked it. OK - here goes, sending the photos!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    1B07D11E-DCFC-4A71-A470-5BF8DD28AF60.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 71

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom