Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

@marieltha & @Catalien45 my apologies for not replying, where have the months gone to, Christmas and New Year seem a distance now we are in February a new year how time certainly flies without us realising how quickly.
I'm now 14 months post surgery on my right knee and over 2 years on my left, after the initial disappointment with the slower more complicated start on my right knee, I'm pleased to be able to say its a success, its finally doing what this new knee was designed for, I'm walking pain free, managing stairs both going up and down now and on the the whole I'm happy with the end results, if you are a newbie reading this, I'm proof that with TIME ( my case 1 full year ) it really does get better.

I'm still renovating furniture slowly running out of things to improve, nothing at home is safe :heehee: but it keeps me busy and takes my mind off thinking about a recent bout of what I think is Sciatica, my left leg every now and then gets a shooting pain from top to bottom making walking extremely hard to do, the knee is fine but this new strange pain not so, I'm hoping when the warmer weather appears this will also disappear.

@Catalien45 such a pretty cabinet, you have a very talented husband xx

Attached a little dresser which was in such awful condition now sitting pretty in my bedroom.

Tissue boxes made from wood with hand made Resin Molds and transfers from Re-design with prima, these I gifted to friends.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230120_084508_copy_600x800.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 105
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20221222_090508_copy_756x401.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 95
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230125_192437_copy_600x800.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 104
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230201_161457_copy_600x800.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
, I'm walking pain free, managing stairs both going up and down now and on the the whole I'm happy with the end results, if you are a newbie reading this, I'm proof that with TIME ( my case 1 full year ) it really does get better.
That is so encouraging. Thanks for posting. I am still finding stairs ( especially coming down) hard and knowing that can improve even up to a year is really good news.
 
I am still finding stairs ( especially coming down) hard and knowing that can improve even up to a year is really good news.
You absolutely need every bit of that year for all those bone, tendons, ligaments, muscles, and such to heal. Some people are able to get back to "normal" sooner but healing is still happening.
 
Hoping someone reading this has had a similar experience or can shed some light...
My first replacement was in 2019 left knee, it was relatively an uneventful process, my right knee was replaced in 2021, a bit more complicated but 1 year on absolutely fine.
January this year, I started getting a severe pain on the outer side of my left leg, sharp & intense, the pain was mainly just below my kneecap ( top of shin) however sometimes it was below my left hip and by the left side of my groin, I immediately assumed it was sciatica. ( apparently not)
This pain only occurred at the end of the day when I was either sitting or lying down, movement is no problem.
We are now near the end of March, my nights are constantly disturbed due to this severe pain mostly near my shin, occasionally under the hip & left groin.
Recently I've had Xrays done, they show some sigh ( aging of joints ) wear ,& tear but nothing abnormal on either the hip or knee.
I'm awaiting a lower abdominal scan and a doppler to see if there are any underlying problems that is causing this.
Has anyone experienced similar- anything I should ask the Dr's.about, I'm totally clueless to what it is and why it's so painful 3 years on.
Yesterday on my evening walk, it felt like the shin & my knee froze for a few seconds making me stumble, this in turn causes me to limp. I'm now back taking Tramadol/Paracetamol nights only or when the pain hits 8/10
When I wake up in the morning I'm fine, it's just at the end of each day, regardless if I've had an active or sedate day.
To say I'm pretty tired of pain is an understatement, hoping it's not all in my head as so difficult to explain, especially when Xrays show nothing abnormal :chinstroke:
 
@Sara61 have they actually ruled out sciatica? This sounds very much like the pain I had when my sciatic nerved was trapped. It felt like someone was trying to rip off my knee cap. At times it stopped me in my tracks.

So sorry you are dealing with this!
 
:hi: Sorry you have been hurting at night.
I was so sleep deprived with my bad hips...and it makes everything 10x worse!:gaah:

Sciatica was my first thought too... and my second thought was an IT Band issue.
It can cause shin pain also... along with hip pain....
 
@Jaycey no they haven't, my sister says it could be a pinched nerve on my back, I'll wait for my results on the 11th then I will seek other avenues xx
@Mojo333 my fear was its my hip too, I really can't face another surgery just yet, I'll enquire about IT band issues- thanks for the suggestions xx
 
Last edited:
@GiantFinnegan and Sara61. I had the exact same thing as Finnegan on my first one. so the next day when I was discharged the nerve block had worn off and it was horrible getting home. This time I was only there about 8 hrs and was still under effects of the block. I had no problem walking or getting into car, was a little trickier getting up the 4 steps into my house. I actually was sitting at 90 degrees in the car going home. I falsely thought that was a sign that this TKA recovery was going to be way better than my first which I have now realized wasn’t as bad as I thought it was at the time, LOL!
Praying for good pain control and a non-complicated recovery for you Sara!
Also had the nerve block. Def makes things easier whilst in the hospital but a big shock when you go home after it’s worn off!
 
I'm sorry you are dealing with this @Sara61 and I hope the doctor's can figure it out. :sad:
 
Good morning, @Sara61 . I’d been thinking about you a lot, & planning to get on here & see how you are doing. My so sorry to hear that you are having pain problems! You have been through so much, doesn’t seem fair. Someone mentioned IT band issues. Our daughter had some problems with that some years back, & it seems like it was quite painful. I believe she had therapy on it, & that did clear it up. She’s always been a big believer in physical therapy, & we have found that it’s been a big help in different issues as we age. We are now 78 & almost 83, so older than you are, but, have both had parts of our bodies “ rebelling” at times, & causing pain. I sure hope your doctors will find out what is causing your pain & find the solution soon.

You referred to the fact that it can definitely take a year or longer for full recovery. It’s always encouraging to know that, I think so many of us early on don’t really grasp that. :-). My surgeon told me that at my 1-year visit. My knee is pretty darn good now, at nearly 18 months out, though I can’t really bend it all the way. But no constant pain, that’s a Huge change! Interestingly, I have had a few bouts of zingers lately. They hit several times in the night, then we’re gone. So I guess that healing is still going on…..

I must comment on your pieces you shared photos of…… they’re Beautiful!! I’m curious ….. what are the tiny artworks on them? They look a lot like Intarsia ( 3-dimensional wood pieces). Or are they small pieces that you incorporate onto the larger pieces you are working on? You have a real gift of bringing pieces to life! My husband is working on our nightstands, getting close to completion, but it’s proven a much bigger project than he thought. I’ll send you some photos when he’s done.

Well, I should get our breakfast going…. My tummy is signaling that it’s time, and my cup of coffee is not enough to satisfy it! I’m itching to get outside & in the garden, although I know that our winter is not Quite ready to make a final exit. But it’s nice to have some warmer days, and the snow gone. Miss Felicity the kitty agrees with that, she loves to be taken outside, but Hates “ that white stuff”!

Do have yourself a lovely day, and I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts & hoping your doctors can locate, and find a resolution for what you’re experiencing now.
 
I'm sorry to read this sweet, Sara, I do hope you find the cause soon and a plan to
relieve the pain you're dealing with. :console2:
@Sara61
 
@Catalien45 so good to read your message to me, funnily I too think it's my IT band, for some reason after working on my furniture it seems to trigger, I think the bending has something to do with it, I suppose I'll only know once all the tests are completed.
The small molds, I made myself, using a mold from Re-design with Prima and Epoxy Resin, you could use clay but I'm hopeless, I find the Epoxy Resin gives a sharper finish, I use these to make the furniture a bit more interesting & it gives it a different look so to speak, I'm part of several Facebook groups so draw my inspiration & ideas from them.
At the moment I'm working on my garden furniture, making it more cheerful, someone from Texas recently commented it looked like a whataburger ( I hadn't a clue what they were on about) and a kind soul kindly explained that the colours of my table are the same, as Summer is approaching I'm choosing brighter colours as it lifts my mood and tbh I'm a tad tired of greys & whites.
I think our knees will always be slightly improving, I strongly think that somethings I will never achieve, kneeling down fills me with dread, after that initial accident in my bathroom on my 1st replacement :flabber: it's funny how we find ways around achieving things :heehee:
Anyway my sweet friend please keep in touch as I love getting your posts xx

@Layla - Thanks Sweetie, hopefully soon I will at least know what is going on, the pain seems to be triggered after working on my furniture, I suspect bending has something to do with it, however I enjoy it to much to stop, so I grin and try to bear the pain xx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230327_161641_copy_752x746.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 72
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230327_161531_copy_409x617.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 70
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230327_161526_copy_748x659.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 83
  • [Bonesmart.org] 2nd knee, 2nd recovery
    20230324_163956_copy_600x800.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 79
I hope that's all it is, Sara, stress / strain from working on your furniture. It is addicting. I'll bet.
Creative minds gotta create! :wink: Lots of pretty colors and objects there!

I used to enjoy painting smaller decorative pieces years ago, such as shelving etc to give it a fresh feel. Lately I want to try my hand at aging some planting pots with paint, I've watched a few online tutorials. The look is rather popular in home decor these days, at least in the states. I may try my hand at it one of these days. Love the tutorials because they normally share the paint / color they're using taking all the guess work out of it if you like their finished product.

I hope you feel better soon...without the need to reel in your passion. :prayer:
 
kneeling down fills me with dread
Same here. I used to be able to kneel on my left knee after having the right done. But now that I've had both knees done, kneeling is just not some thing I'm comfortable doing. Weeding and working in the garden now has to all be done by bending at the waist, which is not good for my back. I need to get one of those rolling wagons for working in the gardens. Being tall, I also have a problem getting up when sitting on a low chair or toilet. :sigh:
 
If you can kneel on a padded surface, then consider either a foam rubber kneeling pad made for gardening, or contractor’s knee pads sold at home improvement stores. The ones with the hard plastic shells on the outside and thick padding inside are the best.
 
@Susie-Q I totally relate to everything you have written, I think half of my current problem is the fact that I'm bending instead of kneeling or squatting, I've noticed the last few days has been more painful as I've been really busy working on a set of furniture and I'm bending mostly.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with as Osteo physiotherapist whom deals with IT band related issues so hoping for some relief and confirmation that this pain is IT band related otherwise its back to the drawing board so to speak.:shrug:

On a lighter note, I'm loving doing dog boarding it's such a rewarding job, initially I was worried my yard would be full of Poop, but actually all the dogs only Poop outside in the country on our twice daily walks, I've had some characters, but all are special in their own quirky ways, I've now got repeat business from several owners whom are now able to go away knowing their furry friend is in safe hands, the affection these dogs show me is such a blessing.:dogwalk:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom