2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with you CaliGirl. It's been raining here most of the day and I can't hardly walk! I'll be so happy when, like you said, I'm looking forward to getting better each day rather than worse! I regret I've procrastinated this surgery as long as I have. Only 9 more days 'til we can say, 'out with the damage.. in with the new'!
:cheers:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well next Monday at this time the first 3 May Marvels (as of today) will be recovering from total knee replacements! I am anxious yet looking forward to diving in and getting through the first two weeks! I'm hoping I'll feel like posting to let everyone here know how great things are going! I said.. 'hoping'. LOL! We've got this people!!

[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
 
I'm going in for my pre-surgery clearance with my GP today, and my pre-op with my surgeon's PA tomorrow morning. Hope to hear good things today (no reason why I shouldn't), and get more questions answered tomorrow.

I pre-registered on-line with the hospital LAST Saturday (not this one just passed), and according to the paperwork they sent me, someone from admitting is supposed to call you within 2 business days of pre-registering. When I had not heard from them by Thursday I called the admitting department, and was told they are at least a week behind, and someone would be calling me at some point this week.:gaah:

I am looking forward to being on the recovery-side of things, and as @Suz said, to feel like posting and letting everyone know how great we're doing.
 
How did you get on today x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all May Marvels!



[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

02 May 16 CaliGirl, Suz, Sassagirl
03 May 1 6 Stella99
04 May 16 luv2sew
09 May 16 BullyMom (her first)
11 May 16 Dawni (her second)
17 May 16 tjcteacher (bilateral), lovetocookandsew (washout & new spacer)
18 May 16 tlmeyn
19 May 16 heathme1 (bilateral)
23 May 16 May 23
24 May 16 luv2ash, Kazilla, Poppa don (his first)
25 May 16 Sipzener
26 May 16 Poppa don (his second)
27 May 16 birdwatchr
31 May 16 Mischief, Sunnyo
 
Hi Sipzener,
Looks like you may be closest to me in surgery dates. I've been bone on bone also for a few years now. In fact, the first physician laughed and sarcastically said to me, "What are you whining about? It's not THAT bad!" and sent me to physical therapy, whose first words were "can't do much for your knee". So I went elsewhere and here I am, finally agreeing to replacement surgery 3-4 years later. Surgery is scheduled for the 27th of May 7:00 AM. BTW - I had a torn lateral meniscus back in '86. Didn't remember that until I found the receipt a couple of years ago. Let me know how you are doing!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
@birdwatchr, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
I am scheduled for may 31 left knee..butterflies already
 
Keep us posted.. I have another month to look forward too...good luck
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
@Sunnyo, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
My pre-op "knee class" is on Monday, 5/2. I am having both knees replaced, the left on 5/24 and the right on 5/26. Our school is out on 5/17 and won't resume until 8/10. I hope that give me enough time to recover. Looks like I might be the only guy in the forum. I am wondering about walkers, should I get one with wheels for the rehab? I live in a very small town (612) and the are no sidewalks or pavement, just gravel. I thought wheels might be better for taking walks to strengthen the knees.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
@Poppa don, you have been officially added twice to the May surgery list! You are now a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
It looks like you had the same thing they want to do to me, the knee surgeries a few days apart.
 
Hi @Poppa don, and welcome. You may be the only guy in our group (May Marvels), but you're certainly not the only guy on the forum.

From what I've learned, with TKR, the walkers are more for stability than mobility. In other words, you want something you can put your whole body weight on it if you need to, and it won't roll away from you. Certainly for early days of recovery, I'd think you would want a walker you have to lift and move - no wheels. By the time you're ready to be talking walks in your neighborhood, you'll probably be ready for a cane, rather than a wheeled walker.

You can also probably get info about this in your class on Monday.

Good luck to you
 
That's so easy to do. Until I spent time on this site I didn't really know what I'd need or what to expect, either. Hopefully your class will be very informative. Neither my surgeon nor hospital had any kind of class, so I've gotten most of my information here.
 
A fellow teacher, and your first surgery is same date as mine. I'm hoping you have a great admin like I do. They are scheduling my classes for first semester close together to minimize long walking at beginning of the school year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom