2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tabbycat @Littlejem @birdwatcher thank you for your good wishes hospital just called they want to change my booking in time from 7am to 12.30 pm at least I can have a light breakfast and will have time to get ready, phew I thought she was ringing to cancel but all is well. See you all on the other side xx

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@CaliGirl thank you fore your best wishes see you on the other side x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I totally agree with you CaliGirl. It's been raining here most of the day and I can't hardly walk! I'll be so happy when, like you said, I'm looking forward to getting better each day rather than worse! I regret I've procrastinated this surgery as long as I have. Only 9 more days 'til we can say, 'out with the damage.. in with the new'!
:cheers:
I hope that you are doing well...Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow!!! Mine is on the 23rd, hoping you will feel much better by then.
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all May Marvels!



[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

02 May 16 CaliGirl, Suz, Sassagirl
03 May 1 6 Stella99
04 May 16 luv2sew
09 May 16 BullyMom (her first)
10 May 16 meemz
11 May 16 Dawni (her second)
13 May 16 Mad dilys (her second), Littlejem
17 May 16 lovetocookandsew (washout & new spacer)
18 May 16 tlmeyn
19 May 16 heathme1 (bilateral), Walden
23 May 16 May 23, TKRMay21, Ricandmax
24 May 16 luv2ash, Kazilla, Poppa don (his first), akgrl
25 May 16 Sipzener
26 May 16 Poppa don (his second)
27 May 16 birdwatchr
31 May 16 Mischief, Sunnyo
 
Hey y'all I'm Danielle. I'm from Alaska.....

I'm having my 8th right knee surgery on May 24th. This surgery will be a total knee replacement.

I was wondering what I needed to bring to the hospital with me.
 
Hi @akgrl. Welcome to bonesmart. I asked a question about what clothes to bring, and people chimed in with all sorts of useful suggestions. Here's the link to the thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/what-clothes-to-bring.35327/

My hospital actually provided a quiet kit which includes ear plugs, and an eye mask. I did use the ear plugs, as hospitals are noisy places.

I did wear a leisure bra (to keep "the girls" from flopping around), but stayed in the hospital gown. When I got up to walk around, they either brought a second gown, which I wore backwards, or a gigantic gown which was big enough to wrap around completely and cover me completely.

I used my phone and phone charger, my hairbrush, and a hair scrunchy to pull my hair into a ponytail. Everythingelse I brought from home stayed in my bag. The hospital even provided toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant.

Good luck to you.
 
@mad dilys
All the very best for your surgery today, hope all goes well, where are you having the op?

@Littlejem
Best wishes for a successful surgery and good recovery for you too

@akgrl
I took a couple of cheap cotton nighties which I wore from day two. Baby wipes were really useful for quick freshen ups, and my MP3 player and sleep phones (like a soft headband) was invaluable at night when I couldn't sleep. I took (and used) all my own toiletries and towels. I packed everything just in case! Then I left a whole drawer full of things behind and my husband had to go back for them :sigh:
I will remember your surgery date, it's my pearl wedding anniversary.
All the best,
Love Tabby :kittykiss:
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
@akgrl, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now officially a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
I'm having L TKR May 19, 2016 I'm a bit nervous about it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2016 May Marvels - Are you having knee surgery in May?
@Walden, you have been officially added to the May surgery list! You are now officially a May Marvel!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
@Walden, Welcome! You have a great resource here full of knowledge and wonderful members that will stand with you throughout your entire surgical and recovery process. Make sure you go over to the Knee Replacement Recovery area of the forum after your surgery and start you personal recovery thread there. Any concerns or questions you have can be posted there and they will be quickly answered! There have been many nights I couldn't sleep and found myself in bonesmart.org reading about the experience of others- gaining great insight about what I was going through. This site has really helped me and will help you too! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday as will many others here. Hope to hear from you as soon as you feel up to posting! You certainly don't have to feel alone during your recovery- there are some wonderful folks here who have 'been there done that' and they love to support those going through their knee replacement surgery and recovery! :console2:
 
@Suz I was looking for you on the recovery side.

I had a nerve block, too. That sucker is AMAZING with pain control. Thankfully my physio didn't push me as hard (or I didn't push myself so hard). I did get up and walk, and was amazed it didn't hurt, but I still felt the fatigue, so kept the walk short. I was happy to get back in bed with the CPM machine.

The occupational therapist didn't have much to do with me, since I'd already been up to the bathroom. She did give me a bit of a suggestion in how I was getting my legs off the bed, which was helpful.

My pain did jump up after the nerve block wore off, but nothing that a shot of Dilaudid couldn't handle. Sorry your early days were so rough.

Please post on the recovery side, so I can keep up with your progress.


Thanks for the info on the Nerve block, I am definitely going to look into that. My surgery is Monday May 23rd.
 
@Walden, Welcome! You have a great resource here full of knowledge and wonderful members that will stand with you throughout your entire surgical and recovery process. Make sure you go over to the Knee Replacement Recovery area of the forum after your surgery and start you personal recovery thread there. Any concerns or questions you have can be posted there and they will be quickly answered! There have been many nights I couldn't sleep and found myself in bonesmart.org reading about the experience of others- gaining great insight about what I was going through. This site has really helped me and will help you too! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday as will many others here. Hope to hear from you as soon as you feel up to posting! You certainly don't have to feel alone during your recovery- there are some wonderful folks here who have 'been there done that' and they love to support those going through their knee replacement surgery and recovery! :console2:
Thank you Thank you!! I appreciate all of this wonderful inro.
 
I'm new to this forum. Scheduled for TKP on May 23 (left knee). I am very anxious and keep thinking about cancelling. I know I can't unless I want to spend the rest of my life not going anywhere, but I am really scared. I don't know if I'm more scared of the pain or the opiates (I have a sensitively with them) and my side effects are horrible. I'm glad I found this forum and I think I found out how to post a reply.

@Ricandmax...I am having mine on the same day as you. I am very anxious as well, but, it's not going to get any better...It really stinks living with all of this pain and this is the only way we can get rid of it. Stay strong!! let's chat afterwards.
 
Hi @akgrl , @Walden , @TKRMay21 and the rest of you May Marvels! :welome: You've taken the first firm steps toward a healthy recovery by finding this site and engaging with others who will be and have literally walked in your shoes. As those of us who "have gone before" can attest, the information, administrators and moderators, and support from other BoneSmarties was essential to our recovery.

Do read the articles on preparing yourselves and your homes for surgery. Loved @CaliGirl 's comment about managing the girls in the hospital! Any exercises you can do now to strengthen and stretch your quads and hamstrings now will help later. And pledge to follow the BoneSmart mantra: ice, elevate, rest, and stay ahead of the pain meds.

It is natural to be anxious about this procedure; I'd be worried if you were not. I still get worried and I've had a few surgeries, as you can see below. My recommendation is to trust you have selected an excellent OS, be thankful medical science has us in a place where we can get this corrected, and embrace your new "equipment" which will allow you to enjoy your future painfree.

See you on the other side!
 
Any exercises you can do now to strengthen and stretch your quads and hamstrings now will help later. And pledge to follow the BoneSmart mantra: ice, elevate, rest, and stay ahead of the pain meds.

This is so true! I did pre-op physical therapy, working on hip strength and quad strength. I swear that's why I was able to lift my leg up on my own right from day one. Knowing the bonesmart mantras really help when I overdo it. Ice is definitely my friend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom