Guest viewing is limited

TKR 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.

Hopefully, you will find that time is all your knee needs and that the time flies by and that you are back to normal really quickly.
 
Oh my goodness, when it rains it pours for you! I pray your foot isn't fractured. Since it was 2 weeks ago, I doubt it is. When I broke my foot at the same time I broke my ankle, it swelled way up and walking on it was extremely painful. Are you experiencing that with your foot?
 
@sistersinhim - Oh my! I don't really swell, but a couple of books fell on my socked foot on metarsals and the bruising was insane. Particularly cause I had a mini steroid injection in other foot.. timing! So I iced, sent pic to podiatrist and he said "don't worry you broke a blood vessel"--but as bruising subsided on top, now under my midfoot has become so painful and I have to wear a shoe... I guess (?) it is swelling from contusion that has no where to go? Yes, this is tiresome!
 
Oh dear, what a time you’re having, elevating and icing will help the foot too. It will all get better. Dropping books is the sort of thing that can happen to me.
 
Well foot is still angry from dropping books on it- so my gait is off which tightens the calf of TKR leg... And throws off back and hip- familiar saga! I can't see my podiatrist til July 10, day before my 69th bday!
Anyway- the velcro tear feeing in knee is better in terms that I can pretty much tell where insertion point was- medially below patella- that area is sore to rub. My Peroneal muscle/tendon is super tender again, but I have been thru that before. And of course beneath the patella. I find that interesting cause it feel like old days of when I had arthritis, buy patella has a cap now so I guess it is tendinitis- which feels a lot like my arthritic left knee. Stay cool everyone. This weather is insane.
 
How are you doing, @Readabook? Was your podiatrist able to shed any light on your pain? Give us an update when you have a chance.

Also, a belated happy birthday! Hope you enjoyed your day.
 
Thank-you @benne68 - My foot, leg and knee are just so tired. I have been in caregiver world.
No fracture as expected. He did a tiny injection arounf ankle which felt great initially, but as I have not rested the area aches. As does my patellas and lateral ligament-my mother's home has tall narrow stairs and they are the end of me. So the chain reaction continues and I can't take nsaids. interesting news is that I can finally do some yoga poses with my 19 mos old knee- and yes of course I over did. But U had gained a few needed pounds and felt big and strong. Thanks for checking in. I see you are in CT. Hope the smoke from the Canadian fires aren't too bad. We are miserable in PA.
 
I actually am finding that my patella and tendon is throbbing. I have def been active. I am trying to remain confidant that nothing can come undone at this point, but pain is unsettling.
 
can finally do some yoga poses with my 19 mos old knee
That's great news! i was so happy when I was able to get back to yoga and totally understand that temptation to overdo.

Give yourself a day or two off to recover and then try again ... just do a bit less next time.
 
@benne68 Thanks! I turned 69, helped my mom, gardened a bit, gained three pounds and had energy (prob cortisone influenced..) and now I am limping and overwhelmed!!!!Thanks so much for your encouragement!
 
Oh welcome to the ODIC (over did it club)… we all come and go from here.
I’m sorry you’ve had such a hard time and I’m sure looking after your Mum takes a lot of energy and care.
Rest it, ice and elevate when you can, this’ll help the throbbing, and it will improve and if you gently start again in a few days you’ll get stronger.
Our frustrations often lead to too much too soon, we’ve all done it, grading our activities is a skill in itself.
Imagine yourself in a small circle and keep within it. As you s l o w l y increase your activity the circle grows with you and you remain inside. What happens when you go too fast is that you step outside the circle and the circle shrinks back to the beginning, it’s an art in itself, but when mastered recovery moves along much easier. I hope this makes sense. Start with only a few minutes, keep at that level a day or two, only then gradually increase.
We’re here with you.
 
Sorry you landed in the ODIC, I hope it's a short stint.
A belated Happy Birthday, Readabook!
It's never too late for cake, right?
[Bonesmart.org] 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.


Enjoy the weekend!
@Readabook
 
interesting news is that I can finally do some yoga poses with my 19 mos old knee- and yes of course I over did.
Just be careful with yoga. I was very bendy and " good" at yoga- I could do full tree pose and put both hands flat on the floor.
I think my hypermobility combined with lack of muscle strength- plus a valgus deformity contributed to my knee damage.
I now skip yoga and concentrate on Pilates to increase muscle strength in a more balanced way. I have some ongoing tendinitis and I find pilates better for protecting my knee and soft tissues from further damage.
 
did mention that chiropractors and podiatrists and PTs have commented on how loose limbed I am. I never thought about, but I am lanky long limbed underweight lady. Not so good for joints. And he cautioned me that overdoing certain things, even minor could cause me tendonitis. My other docs are now keeping that in mind. Its not always cool than you can be bendy when you are 68
I saw this in a previous post and I definitely have similar issues. Being bendy is great for ROM but can lead to soft tissue damage
 
@EalingGran YES! Thanks so much for saying this- I needed to hear it again. My foot, shin, tkr, hip, piriformis, low back are all one angry chain right now, Very connected. Yoga was fun while it lasted- felt freeing- but I have been in pain ever since and can't take nsaids so just limping... Even cushy new sneaks that I love seem to have angered foot and hence the cascade of trauma. One thing that did get me annoyed was a surgeon saying "well you are hyper mobil so you will always have problems. There could have been another way of offering education and support. Again Thank you SO much for being sensitive and alert to issue and reaching out. Lisa
 
Just rest and ice until things settle down. Then have a look at my pilates teacher's free classes on YouTube. Google Katja pilates and they come up.
She has a whole range of classes including a knee friendly one for glutes with no squats and gentle chair classes or ones for post injury/ illness.
 
My foot, shin, tkr, hip, piriformis, low back are all one angry chain right now, Very connected.
Remember that childhood song -
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone.

There's nothing like a joint replacement recovery to prove that point.

One thing that did get me annoyed was a surgeon saying "well you are hyper mobil so you will always have problems. There could have been another way of offering education and support.
I agree with you. His choice of words sounds discouraging. Just because your hyper mobile doesn't mean you can't do well. It only means your recovery may not be typical. You can tailor your recovery to your individual situation. On BoneSmart we often say that no two recoveries are alike, even for the same person.
Have a great rest of the day!
 
@Layla and @EalingGran - I so appreciate you both! Here I started all this posting about one thing, but the journey continues. 20 month now. @EalingGran - I just did some sit to stands- not deep squats- i hope that was ok. I will def look at your teacher's site! We have had some family health concerns- (not me and my body) which I may share someday. Thank-you Thank-you for your kindness and care.
 
Please go steady with sit to stands, because that’s how I damaged my back. It was in part because the knees weren’t right, but please go steady on this. A few at a time. I was doing well and trying to get back to work and did too many and next day couldn’t move. The recovery took months, and I lost my job. This is my story and not meant to alarm you in any way, just don’t want anyone else to experience this.
Just take everything very slow and it’ll all be good. That’s what I’m doing with this recovery and physio today v happy, so am I.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom