Guest viewing is limited

TKR 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.

well- I am pretty much the same- been icing and heating.Standing around a lot is uncomfortable. I have an appt with a familiar sports med doc at end of week and get his two cents. I have a message into that new to me surgeon in huge factory office. Honestly i would just like some scan to show if there is a tear in any tendons. i can raise my leg so I think that is good. In old days pre TKR and aging I would have asked for a steroid shot and Nsaids! Things of the past for me. Tendonitis is the pits!
 
Please let us know what the sports medicine doctor says. I'm so sorry you continue to struggle and hope you get an answer.
 
Hopefully your appointment tomorrow with the sports medicine physician goes well. Between him and the second opinion, possibly one or the other will order an MRI. It's unfortunate you continue to struggle as you are. I'm sorry, Readabook. Please let us know what you hear.
@Readabook
 
Please let us know what you find out from tomorrow's appointment. Hopefully, he'll send you for an MRI. I don't think you should be having that pain for this long.
 
@sistersinhim Thank-you! I doubt he will. My old PT friend said this kind of stuff takes forever.
But annoying tale:
As mentioned- I saw the surgeon my retired doc was referring to. In a very larger east coast orthopedic chain. As mentioned he said implant was fine, that I was hyper mobil and this stuff will happen. I followed up with the portal from hell asking if I could get a scan of some sort. Finally I heard that since implant was fine and I could move I did not have a sprain and could do PT- no scans needed, I just tore scar tissue. I asked about sport med with in complex. If they could write or advise. They said I could try. I made appt with their sports med program, but got a call asking if it was a joint replacement knee, I said yes, I needed advice. They said sports med could not TOUCH a knee with a TKR. But they could look at other knee! The other knee needs help, but I want this this resolved first. NOPE. The girls said ask surgeon. I explained he had said call them... I finally cancelled as I was losing my mind. I will see my regular sports med in a different system tomorrow. When big corporations buy medical groups it is scary.
 
@Readabook Have you tried Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS)?

Although headquartered in NYC, the hospital has branches in other states. They also do virtual appointments if you are too far from any off their hospitals. HSS has been ranked #1 in the world in orthopedics for many years, so it might be worth checking them out: HSS.edu.
 
sports med said likely adhesions. Quad and patella tendon good. No mri will show anything. Implant is good. Other knee is not at risk of tkr for a a few years. Will do gel and eventually prp etc. I just have to work at getting inflammation down where adhesion tore. 5 weeks and counting...
 
It seems like now it’s a matter of time and patience, letting this heal. :bored: Like I’ve said before, I’ve been there, done that. Try to find other things to focus on, to take your mind off the injury.
 
@benne68 Yes! The ligament sprain etc is still frustrating and uncomfortable- but he tested my knee- to the point of simply saying "lift you leg" and then saying "you can't do that if your quad is torn." At the end of the day he was very human and personable- the opposite oif what I had experienced at this big factory where only one finger can be looked at a a time basically. I didn't get much time, but he met me with "this is what we are going to do" and it was well thought out and convincing in terms of other non operated knee- in terms of the velcro feeling and pain he basically said " thats a scary sound, but I don't think you did anything horrible."
 
"this is what we are going to do"
Sounds like he has a plan for you, If you're comfortable sharing, wondering what he's recommending, no pressure to answer, just curious as it may be useful for someone following behind with the same type of injury.

It's great that he was thorough, even if it was a short visit. I hope the appointment helped put your mind at ease.
Have a nice weekend, Readabook!
 
@Layla He wasn't concerned about injury- (but he knew I was) basically saying that i would not be able to bend leg if i had torn the patella or quad tendons. He understood that hearing and feeling the velcro sensation which I had never heard in 18 mos was upsetting, but even if I did the special MRI (Mars?) it wouldn't see anything. He was annoyed thatt he surgeon I saw said I couldn't get a strain after an implant...and he was also annoyed that surgeon had said people only get to120 ROM after tkr and I am 135 Rom so "my hypermobility" is a problem! The sports med doc shook his head and said well you were born that way and really no words there! His plan for my other knee which has no meniscus and os close to bone on bone ( and which that surgeon said should have a tkr) is to do Gel One. I have only had the series of three and am worried about big one, but he started siting research and will do with US guidance etc. So I agreed. Then can add PRP, stem cells etc down the road. He is determined to keep me away from surgery for a few more years as he knows I care for my mom etc. SO- I have to be patient with sprain-which is hard. And I cant;t take NSAIDs so ice and heat are me friends. I forgot to ask about acupuncture Surgeon was very against but I think he misunderstood.
 
Thanks for the comprehensive update. This physician does sound very thorough. All you can do is try your best to take it slower and easier as your leg heals from the sprain. Hopefully his plan will help you avoid surgery for several years so you're able to care for your mom. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I wish you relief from the injury and many peaceful days ahead. :console2:
@Readabook
 
@Layla I think my new concern is the one gel shot- I have had series of three in past and this up to date young doc said the gel one is much better and most his patients get it... old timey pt and chiro thing three is better, but he is the doctor. Curious about other's experiences.
 
@Readabook Here's a little background that might be helpful.

The single-dose visco-supplementation injections have been around since about 2010 so they aren't really "new", but they are definitely newer than the 3-dose versions that were offered earlier.

They are all (both single does and triple-dose) FDA approved and all use hyaluronic acid. In those of us with osteoarthritis, the body’s natural hyaluronic acid breaks down and becomes less effective, leading to pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility. Unfortunately, the research into whether the single dose or multi-dose performs better are not definitive.

The idea behind the injections is that they are supposed to supplement the depleted hyaluronic acid in osteoarthritic knees to reduce pain and improve joint function temporarily. Some studies show that gel injections typically provide pain relief for 3-6 months, with strongest effects noted between 5-13 weeks post-injection. However, effectiveness seems to depend upon how severely damaged the knee is prior to injection.

Here's my personal experience: I had the Synvisc-One (which is Sanofi's version of Zimmer's Gel-One) in both knees at different times. The one in my bone-on-bone knee did nothing for me, and I scheduled my TKR as soon as I was allowed. (Most surgeons make you wait 3 months after an injection into the joint to reduce the risk of infection). However, in my other knee, which was "less arthritic" knee, it worked -- giving me about 3-4 months of relief and allowing me to delay the second TKR for about a year.

If you decide to do it, trust your surgeon's recommendation regarding which approach to use. But understand that, if it doesn't work well, it's most likely because your knee is just too far along to benefit from the supplementation (like mine was),
 
@benne68 Thanks for this! yes I used to get a three series and they were fine. But people scared me about the "one" cause of the amount of volume being too much at once. I said that to this sports med doc (who has been using them on himself for 20 years) and he said he really thinks this is good for me- though of course I could refuse. I did well with series so not afraid of gel- just afraid of volume. He had a fit when the new to me surgeon said I could do a tkr ( that surgeon doesn't do injections, his PA does, another long wait in this big orthopedic jungle) My Sports med doc said I had enough room. My knee doesn't hurt that much, but I want to be proactive. Honestly my replaced knee and the real knee both ache the same now from this tendonitis.
So the new to me surgeon in huge corporate owned medical work will not be my surgeon if I need one. And their sports med people cant touch a leg that had an implant, no matter how long ago. You can't even ask a question. So I took a deep breath and pressed cancel on future appst!
 
Thanks for your continued trust in the BoneSmart community, Readabook.
I'm glad the info shared by, benne68, was helpful. We're here for you, so just reach out. :)
Hope your Sunday is a good one!
@Readabook
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom