Guest viewing is limited

TKR 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.

But I always push myself because the situation calls for it. I am that person in my family and I hate to say 'I can't"
I understand your love of family and desire to participate / help in certain situations, but I'm sure they understand you're dealing with some physical limitations. Explaining that your knee isn't up to certain movements, or doesn't react well after some activities isn't anything you should have to defend. You may feel guilty saying no, if you're used to saying yes, but you'd be making the right decision in explaining you're not able to comfortably do "whatever" quite yet and don't want to stall your recovery any further. Obviously family, loved ones, close friends will understand.
 
@Layla That is very kind of you. We all all have unique circumstances. My nuclear family is tiny with a 97 yr old at one end and a 3 year old at other. I am 21 mos post op. The season for saying no ended at about 7 mos out. Time to pull my weight and deal with aching soft tissue. Its ok. We all have something.
 
actually have an appt in September with a private PT and body worker who is supposed to be very gentle, educational and wise.
That sounds very like my excellent pilates teacher. Some private lessons can be just the right impetus to help get you on the best path.
But I always push myself because the situation calls for it. I am that person in my family and I hate to say 'I can't". My parents and daughter were inconvienced (sp) by my TKR and I am just trying to keep up.
Like you, I hate to say no when it comes to helping with childcare. However, you do have to listen to your body and remember it is a marathon not a sprint. It is about being fit enough to keep doing it all for a good few years to come- not burning yourself out. I find I need more rest days and naps. Is there anyone you can share responsibilities with?
 
I want to jump in with something that I do for my BFF when she has her grandkids. (We don't have any grands, so these are as close as I'll ever get to having some.) Anyway, when I know she'll have the kiddo's I'll just happen to pop by. We might go to the park or just her backyard, or play inside, but its another adult there for a while. I don't stay all day, just a couple of hours to help her out. And frankly because I enjoy it and want to do it. So the question is, do you have a friend whom you could ask that would be able to help you out like that? Just to come by for a bit of time - someone else for the kids to talk to or my favorite I get to read to them. That way its a bit easier on you and your friend gets the benefit of helping you out.
 
So the question is, do you have a friend whom you could ask that would be able to help you out like that? Just to come by for a bit of time -
That is a really good idea. Looking after a little one in your own is really hard work, especially as we get older and have joint issues. I have my husband to help most of the time- or I take my grandson to a local playcentre, where there are other kids for him to play with and adults for me to chat to.
 
So my weekend of not to code stair climbing and lugging stuff has me still stiff in knee and ankle. Its ok, i am doing all the right things for them, but still frustrated. In the the whole "everything is connected" thing I must have strained my rt side abs which makes perfect sense, but shocking how tender they can be. After making sure its not appendicitis ( I'm not sick!) my chiropractor worked on some trigger points in my ab. Actually that may have helped. And yes- my husband does help! He is older but stronger! Be well everyone.
 
I'm sorry you continue to struggle. Thankfully you have help on board, good to hear that. I guess all you can do is try your best to avoid the triggers that result in discomfort and pain. I hope you have a relaxing and peaceful holiday weekend. :)
@Readabook
 
@Layla Thank-you! It an annoyance, but could be much worse. I healed quickly, have a perfect bend, but soft tissue takes a beating. But we all have to do life, so I can't complain. Maybe I will at 2 years! Right now I am trying to deal with arthritic foot and spending too much time looking at shoes! I think the hard part in this journey has been not having folks who can relate and this forum is a life saver. Facebook groups help in very beginning, but then folks heal and seem to all go surfing and climb mountains! And say " I never had an issue." That's then you feel left out.
 
I often wonder Readabook, if those who proclaim to "never had an issue" are being honest. I mean totally honest. Some recovery more quickly than others, we all have different pain levels, but to just say it was nothing, I just have always had a hard time buying it. Now, that might just be me, but come on, this is major surgery. At least admit that it was slightly uncomfortable, or something.

Your coming along at your speed and that's just fine. You are totally correct we all have a life and I think you're doing well.
 
@eaglemom Thank-you! Honestly I don't know what else to do. I am not walking long distance or dancing- all things I thought I would be able to do. I have to help in the care of my invalid mom. It is what it is. I have to play my part.My brother and husband are all upset with me for not being my old self. My dad had two knee replacements and did just fine- I am the wimp. The only friend I know who had one was very "business as usual: and promptly traveled abroad to see her daughter at 12 weeks. NO way I could have done that or even now at 21 months. So I just have to rest the overdoing last week and continue to work on strength. I guess.
 
My brother and husband are all upset with me for not being my old self.
I’m so very sorry to hear about this attitude from them @Readabook - this actually says far more about them and their attitudes than you even if when it feels so personal to you. It must be so hard to hear. Please don’t let them push you into anything and please keep looking after you.
Have either of them ever had major ops or health issues? It also sounds as if they perhaps lack sufficient empathy and compassion plus the kind of understanding that usually comes with age that we are not infallible and everybody heals and experiences things differently.
You are NOT a wimp, pain is a unique feeling and everyone has different thresholds. Your body is still adjusting and now you have the ankle and rib area to deal with. Everything is connected, remember that old song - the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone….
Ageing is challenging - the phrase - not for the faint hearted - comes to mind. Your friend who travelled abroad is the exception, not the norm as this site clearly shows.
Only you can look after you and only you know what feels right, despite what others think and say. Where you are now is not the end, you’re still recovering, even if it’s slower than you hoped and expected. Our bodies are unique and we are not machines.
The season for saying no ended at about 7 mos out.
I disagree, you can and must still say no if you can’t do something, or fear it’s detrimental to YOUR health or someone else’s. I no longer carry grandchildren up or down stairs, and that will not change for their wellbeing and mine.
I’m working on getting back strength and conditioning however if I can’t do something I say. We are not infallible and we owe it to ourselves to hold our own boundaries firmly and clearly and that is also part of life stuff. I’ve discovered so many women, in all walks of life, who only learned to put themselves first in their 60’s, after a lifetime of immense service to their families and others. It’s not easy to do but vital for our own sakes that we do.
In time we hope we may get back some things we had lost before the ops and if we don’t well that’s just how it is. We also age at different rates and our journeys are ours alone, and no one has the right to tell us what to do, or how to feel, or expect us to do everything we did before and if they do, it’s really on them and not us.
Please put yourself first, know that you will heal further in time, and please take all the pressure off yourself. It’s hard having to recover and at the same time learn how to put in ‘boundaries’ to safeguard ourselves. It’s ok to say no, and it’s important to do so, even when it feels so unfamiliar and uncomfortable to do this. Remember how on an aircraft we are told to put the oxygen mask on first, it’s the same principle here.
Perhaps it’s time to think of alternative ways to help your Mother?
Please also think about adaptations as to how you could do things differently. I live alone and only do certain jobs when somebody is here eg cut the clematis when someone holds the ladder and I occasionally pay someone to clean the very tall windows. This year I also paid someone to paint the exterior doors and the shed. All jobs I used to do, but can’t just now. If I go back to doing them in the future, fine, if not also fine, it’s life stages and life changes.
Thinking of you and sending you the strength to say NO, when you need to, as more time to recover and caring for you is your number one task.
Everyone will adapt (none of us are irreplaceable, even if we’d like to think so ) when we can’t do quite what we used to, and hopefully it’s not permanent.
Re the climbing toddler could you put a chair next to the counter for her to turn around and get back down onto it?
Be strong and be well.
 
@Legseleven Thank-you for your thoughts. Our family has a background that my dad was dxed with bladder cancer during lockdown. My mom stopped walking and being able to cope, my brother and I had to manage our differences and get my dad care and care for the house. Our own children had health scares. So then my femoral condyle broke and I had to have surgery! Getting it done during the winter holidays seemed to be best time so that I would be adequately recovered after 3-4 months. I certainly tried. Anyway, We each have unique personal situations. I don't do many ogthe things I would like to do as I focus my energy on what I have to do, Thanks for sharing how you manage! And your perspective. It really helps. Also to tell me "you will heal" as opposed to those who say "you are not better yet?" I am better, but I am not done.
 
Patella and shin sprain! Has anyone overdone it ( as i previously said I did a lot of stairs and carrying last weekend) and really irritated their patella and shin? I have no observable swelling, but the patella feels like the original arthritis.I am mostly doing heat. Sometimes ice. I don't hear this talked about very often-
 
Agree 100% with @Legseleven. You do have to keep your boundaries and prioritise your healing. She is absolutely right about the airline safety announcement- you must put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.
I got so upset with the ' are you not better yet routine'. It is every bit as annoying as when the kids used to say 'are we there yet' every 5 minutes in the car... .
My daughter-in-law's father had a PKR shortly before me and had a very speedy recovery- back on the golf course at about 9 weeks. It was so infuriating as I had MCL issues and took a lot longer to heal.
Has anyone overdone it ( as i previously said I did a lot of stairs and carrying last weekend) and really irritated their patella and shin? I have no observable swelling, but the patella feels like the original arthri
I can certainly get some patella pain at the end of the day going up stairs. I haven'
healed quickly, have a perfect bend, but soft tissue takes a beating. But we all have to do life, I can't complain. Maybe I will at 2 years! Right now I am trying to deal with arthritic foot and spending too much time looking at shoes

t had my patella resurfaced and do have some arthritis there still though.
Lifting and stairs are tough and I wouldn't carry too much upstairs and definitely not grandkids.
I am almost 4 years now and the first year was very slow. I have persevered with pilates. Although I also have ongoing issues with other joints/ severe back arthritis, I have a great time now- I can walk miles, have walked up mountains in Sri Lanka and Germany in the last year, play with my grandkids etc. But I don't run or jump and I will often have a rest in the afternoon and put my feet up.
You say you have great bend. Like you I have brilliant ROM but I was a bit hypermobile and I have rather lax/ weak ligaments- which I think can make me more prone to strain/ injury.I wonder if some people here who are a bit stiffer with less bend actually have stronger muscles and ligaments?
I didn't have to contend with family care whilst I was recovering and I am absolutely sure that would have slowed me down if I had.
 
Thanks @EalingGran - I did have my patella resurfaced, but I guess the hauling myself up and down for days really messes with my fascia. I have stairs at home and easy peasy, but my parents bought this crazy house late in life.. I knew the stairs were wrong! She has a treacherous chair elevator she uses, but that scares me more!!!!! For the record I do not carry my 37 pound granddaughter around! But did have to rescue her in an emergency. I really hope I can walk like you sooner than later, and I wish I didn't get so scared that I may have really messed up.That is an interesting point about those who are not as bendy....
 
Thank you for your reply. I’m so sorry that you and your family have been through so much and I do hear how hard all this is to deal with.
I wish I didn't get so scared that I may have really messed up.
I think your body is simply telling you you’re doing too much at the moment, so when you allow yourself to slow down and do less it will give the body a chance to allow the deeper healing to happen. We simply cannot expect to go through such major surgery in our later years and expect to bounce back as if nothing has happened. Even when we want or try to. It cannot be forced.
So many threads on here show good healing in the second and third years and beyond, however we do have to give our own bodies the chance to do this and I hope you’ll be able to do this, to give yourself permission to look after you, first and foremost; ignoring what anyone else says to you at home and in your vicinity. Learning to say no, and asking for help isn’t easy especially when you’ve always been the one person in the family everyone turns to, but sometimes it has to be done.
I still have pain in my right knee after a Patellafemoral replacement and resurfacing last year. I just don’t think about it. I never expected to be entirely pain free, and one day, if and when I am, it’ll be amazing. I still want to go back to line dancing, but in the meantime I listen to my knees as they’re in charge. This is often quoted in here.
Recovery isn't linear however much we want it to be and forcing the new joints beyond what they’re comfortable with just isn’t possible, however much we wish it. As we all say on here the patience muscle is the biggest one of all.
IMG_3968.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had an x-ray of my implant today and it looked fine. My body has been dealing with a lot including a food intolerance reaction all week and my body is on fire. The med center I went to required lots of remote parking and stairs and elevator and a long wait in waiting room. The PA told me that my ligaments were a bit loose and there is a line between too loose and too tight- so the looseness might cause more tendinitis issues. But she didn't think it was terrible and she also didn't think I qualified as hyper mobile. Anyway. She also said that for sure I can get sprains etc and that even at 21 mos the knee is still figuring things out.
 
I had an x-ray of my implant today and it looked fine.
She also said that for sure I can get sprains etc and that even at 21 mos the knee is still figuring things out.
I’m pleased you’ve had it checked out, so now it’s a case of resting, icing and elevating it to settle the knee and then perhaps a bit of a rethink of your activity levels while it mends.
As I have said before, and I have experienced myself, recovery is not a straight line and we are all unique in our healing journeys.
I’ve even had to rest and ice a lot more yesterday and today as last week was a tad challenging for my baby knee.
I know how hard it is to accept limitations, even temporary ones, and yet once we do it becomes easier to say no, and make other plans.
I had to pick some little things up today and it’s easy walking distance and I’ve done it many times since the op, but today I took the car because the knee is still in charge. It won’t always be but is now and sounds like yours could be the same, even though you’re much farther on than I.
 
@Legseleven SIGH. I thought i wouldn't get derailed this easily. I am just really tired of defending my knee to others who critique my process. Immature I know. But I'm human.
 
Back
Top Bottom