Guest viewing is limited

TKR 19 mos, knee overuse and strain.Worried again.

@eaglemom OMG I LOVE this and that you did this! And we are both 68- and can I tell you that when I was 61 a young shoulder doc told me I was too old to have had the shoulder surgery I had had in my 40's , he would never have done (took all I could do not to say "You weren't born yet..") And that I was now TOAST. I went and sat in my car in parking lot and cried.
Thank-you So much for your support. It is a lovely day here and all i want to do is to be in the garden again. But yesterday I was SO sore from just being on my feet. In truth I still think I should be perfect at 19 mos. But being patient!
 
Ugh. Not sure at all what I am doing wrong. I was doing ok then strained my knee 2.5 weeks ago taking a bend into garden. (I know- prob not very long..But...) Honestly I bend like that all the time and feel pretty good about my range of motion. But this was a a fluke and I swear I heard and felt tearing - which of course made me feel like implant had just left my leg! As I have already said- I saw a new surgeon as mine retired and moved to Florida ( so sad) and this doc said my implant looked stable and ( he has never met me) said I am probably a bit overly mobile. Having given it thought I don't agree- even his report said my legs were strong and stable and I do flights of stairs all day long. So maybe a fluke. But at almost 19 mos I am super frustrated. We all put life on hold for these operations and other folks are waiting for us to get better. We want to get better Anyway. I am RESTING, and Icing. But I do need to do life. I can't take NSAids and so just tylenol. And there is that other arthritic knee! Just venting. But if anyone can relate this far out or has tips I would be delighted. I will see surgeon again end of July, but he was very unanimated and without ideas! Oh- I am trying red light therapy in a few days- why not?!!!
:)
 
and I swear I heard and felt tearing
Have you seen your GP? Since you didn’t receive any satisfaction from the new ortho, maybe the GP would order some tests. I’m not sure what they might be, an MRI or CT scan maybe. It might be worth a try.
I am trying red light therapy in a few days- why not?!!!
Where are you having this done?
 
Gp is hands off! Doesn’t even like ordering X-rays.
Prefers that I stay with specialists. Or writes for medication that I can’t take!
An old pt friend is showing me about red light - not having a treatment- just learning.
 
We all put life on hold for these operations and other folks are waiting for us to get better. We want to get better Anyway. I am RESTING, and Icing. But I do need to do life.
I realize this whole experience is upsetting and frustrating for you and I'm sure that sound and sensation you experienced in the garden felt alarming. However it is reassuring that the OS felt the implant was stable. Your knee is still sensitive and adapting and it's not uncommon for the surrounding soft tissues to create odd sensations while load bearing, twisting or deep bending like you experienced in the garden, but it doesn't mean there's damage. Right now you need to move safely, do what you're able for pain, icing, rest, OTC meds and watch for any new changes such as swelling, instability or loss of function. Pushing too hard can make your symptoms last longer, so please don't push it and set yourself back even further.

Rather than wait until the end of July appointment, I still feel you should call the office of your second opinion and ask for clarification or a follow up plan for your situation. Ask if the OS you saw will consider reviewing your chart / symptoms and recommend whether imaging or PT may help, what he'd like to see for your current activity level, any signs you need to watch for and at what point you should return if things aren't progressing. Or seek out a third OS for an additional opinion.
Gp is hands off! Doesn’t even like ordering X-rays.
Prefers that I stay with specialists. Or writes for medication that I can’t take!
I'm sorry you seem to be hitting walls at every turn.
It sounds like you're unhappy with the medical professionals you're dealing with and while it's an inconvenience, takes work and there may be some trial and error, I thinks its important that you find health care professionals you like, trust and have confidence in. It can make such a difference in your outlook during difficult times such as this.

When a physician writes a prescription for a medication you can't take, consider addressing that while in the office with them, at that time, so they can prescribe something you're able to tolerate.

I am sure some days are worse than others...I hope today is a good day for you, Readabook. :fingersx:
 
ah thanks! Yes, my primary care knows what I can't take- we did an experiment with naproxen and no! my stomach and my skinwere not happy. I used to be able to take it. PC is out of the country often has she has parents in Lebnon who aren't doing well. I communicate withe her regularly about meds.
I have a few things set up- I see my sport med doctor next week and will share this update. He may have other ortho docs in mine, but the system is pretty bought up here by one group.
I plan for this to be a rest day.
 
It’s always a good idea to get a second and or third opinion if you aren’t happy with the answer. Do your own research as well for the best doctors. Maybe get out of that practice and find a totally different one. you may be missing strenghtening on certain muscles around the knee, lower leg, etc have a muscle inbalance and putting too much stress on those areas that keep bothering you. Maybe pt again?
 
@Layla-Thank you! I am trying to force rest a bit to get this inflammation down. Then will slowly restart exercising!


PS: folks seem to say that the velcro feeling is normal and have experienced it. That is is adhesion or scar tissue and that is good. I have never had that experience even with a few past pratfalls. So would i basically just look at it it as a ligament sprain? The surgeon was fine- simply clarified in moment he had that implant was good. I am goin to ask more questions at next appt- But what have you all experienced with this? I feel like it is going to take TIME....
 
Last edited:
Sorry for asking so many questions- pain and nerves getting to me. People have joked to me that i got an unplanned MUA at 18 mos simply stepping into garden and that i should feel good.. Well I already had a good bend so a bit mystified why at 18 mos things would "tear". And at almost three weeks the inflammation has not settled. I don't feel good! I am extra hyped as my partner and I are finally supposed to travel a bit after this surgery and my dad's death... I rest, ice, take tylenol. The new surgeon who my retired doc referred to is very specific to being only a surgeon-(no talk about what to do as long as implant is good) so I will seek out sports med and PT for guidance. But- for peace of mind I would love a scan of some sort to check soft tissue- I can't go off hiking with a torn tendon, but I can handle tendonitis. What would I ask for? Ultrasound? Thanks and apologies if I sound crazy, No sleep either!!
 
You could ask about an MRI to give you peace of mind that your soft tissues are doing as well as the surgeon says your implant is doing.

Have you had any pain anywhere in your leg since you had that bending event?
 
@Jamie - the general knee area is inflamed/stretched feeling- thru out day certain areas may call out more. I just can't find literature that really addresses what is happening in knee at this later phase. I know myself- if I understand it I can manage it better!!
 
I know myself- if I understand it I can manage it better!!
I'm the same way. Since your surgeon does not want to deal with soft tissue issues (most don't because they are "bone men"), I'd definitely make an appointment with a sports medicine physician, as you suggest, or a physiatrist.

For members who aren't familiar with it, a physiatrist is a doctor who focuses on physical medicine and rehabilitation. They specialize in diagnosing and treating pain.

Keep us posted.
 
Last edited:
Regarding MRi- My understanding was that an MRI of tkr was not that clear because of metal distractions.. I wonder if Ultra sound is useful?
 
There are MRIs that can adjust for implants.
Xrays can also pick up some soft tissue issues. Ultrasound is good for detecting tears in tendons. If things really aren't improving with rest/ elevation/ ice then I would push for some further tests.
 
According to my research, the results of an MRI depend to some degree upon the type of implant you have and what the doctor thinks the problem might be. Even with metal implants, there are new techniques for improving accuracy.

Your doctor will need to make a differential diagnosis in order to determine which kind of testing will give the best information.
 
Trying to remain calm and positive. There aren't many places to find info for post op recoveries. Very hard when you thought you were over the hump.
Know that we're here to boost your mood when you get into a slump. BoneSmart is a great place to read about a variety of recoveries and you will find camaraderie with others who have also dealt with setbacks, either through reading their threads, or exchanging messages with those currently on the forum. You'll get through this, it will just take some rest, time and a lot of patience.
 


For members who aren't familiar with it, a physiatrist is a doctor who focuses on physical medicine and rehabilitation. They specialize in diagnosing and treating pain.
Thank you for that explanation!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom