TKR 12 Week check up, suck it up girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I so can relate with the depression but feel like I've gotten past it. I'm at 6 weeks. My rom is 85 so not good but ill take it right now. My doc wants to manipulate but told him not interested. Nights are on and off. Just got back from first day back at part time work. My knee feels like a dead log. Had a knee rehab massage this morning but feel guilty that I haven't exercised my knee. Pt tomorrow. Baby steps. I keep repeating to myself. Little goals. I now can drive. Next one will be walking without a limp. Then hiking will be down the road. Hang in there. We are all going through it.
 
Hi all I'm doing ok. They just approved 6 more pt's I was worried they wouldn't. My knee is so tight, so in pt that's mostly what I work on. I have 3 weeks to make it better and start learning how to walk without a limp. It's mostly hurts when I stand for a period of time like cooking dinner. I have 4 weeks til I'm back at work. And there's a lot of walking at work so I have to work hard. Thanks for checking on me daughter stalker, and Ready. Sbovard, keep working hard, you don't want to stay at that range. Have a good day all.
 
danceragainsoon

What I do for cooking in the kitchen is sit on a bar stool. I don't know if you have one. If not you can pick up an inexpensive one just to sit on in the kitchen while you are cooking. It has helped me out tremendously. I don't have to stand while chopping up veggies. I can sit while cooking on the stove top. Some people move more than I do in the kitchen. I pull out everything I need then do most everything seated. You may want to try it if it sounds like something that you want to do and is feasible. If not, it won't hurt my feelings. Just a thought. :)
 
To you, a dancer, from me, a musician: it was very helpful for me to know ahead of time that depression would be part of the recovery. So when I've had my down-in-the-dumps days, I reminded myself that it was normal, and that helped. Didn't make it go away, but it helped. And I had one day of rootin-tootin' anxiety, too. I think that's behind me, though.

And it sounds like you're a schoolteacher too like me? I'm hoping to be able to start on time. My concern isn't my knee so much as my energy level. I've just told myself that if I can't, I can't, and that the school and kids are better off if I start when I'm ready than if I go before I'm ready. We'll see though!

And so sorry about your dog. So hard to lose your companion animal at the time when you needed him the most.

Best wishes to you!
 
Thanks guys, this anxiety and depression is getting hard. I'm actually thinking of going to talk to someone. It's like I hate being home so much but when I'm out or have fun plans, I get so nervous and scared. Like all I want to do is be back home to the place I hate. Ugh.... it's frustrating. I want to be happy again, I mean I have so many blessings in my life. Why am I so sad inside. I hate this knee thing. Sorry for the downer today. I hope everyone has a good day.
 
Sorry Dancer, :cry: I understand the emotional roller coaster. I got on a BIG ONE yesterday, went sleep in tears.:boohoo: I woke up with my standard tree trunk knee pain and got some more disturbing news which piggybacked on the day before. So I'm "right here wit'cha."

I'm learning everyone's struggle/recovery is different and if you think you need to talk to someone, you should. I pray you find the right person/people to help you through this.

You WILL be happy and dance again and so will I! :console2:

I'm taking a Knee-cation today, maybe you should join me. :cheers:

Oh, and since I can't do anything about the roller coaster ride, I'm gonna strap myself in tight, throw my hands up in the air and say Weeeeee! :yay:


I hope your day gets brighter. :flwrysmile:

Bionic Woman 2... We can rebuild her, but it's gonna cost! :bicycle2:
 
danceragainsoon Sending you :friends: hugs. There is safety at home. You can walk your speed, use the bathroom you're used to, elevate and ice, and just lay down when you want. I think I became a bit of a recluse for a while there, too. But remember, we didn't have this surgery so we could stay in, we had it to get back into life. Your desire to get out and about will increase as your pain and mobility decrease. Take it in short bursts rather than long drawn out events. I found going to a friends home was really nice rather than out in public.

Talking to a professional can be helpful, and it is possible, even likely, that your system is missing something chemical that is causing your anxiety. Your body has been through quite a trauma. A dear friend of mine has gotten to know her body so well that she can feel that depression and anxiety coming on, and there is always a catalyst, be it stress, illness, even when they traveled to overseas for a month and she got worn down. She is able to nip it before it affects her and her family with a short course of some antidepressant.

Saying a prayer for you and hoping the sadness and fear subside!
PJ
 
Dear dancingagainsoon,
There is absolutely no reason you can't be on a low dose anti- depressant. Call your primary doctor & make
An app :) it will help you.
There are bright days ahead :SUNsmile: some need a bit of help along the way.
Please call Monday...you will be glad you did :console2:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Happy birthday to your husband :happydance:
Did you get out of the house a bit ?
Hope you are feeling better :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Diane, I did have a good time last night. I didn't have any anxiety. Today we're going boating. Wish me luck. please don't fall, please don't fall. Have a good day everyone.
 
Dear dancer,
So happy you are feeling better :happydance: how could anyone not be happy boating :SUNsmile:
Sometimes all it takes to lighten your mood, is to get back into life. Doing things that make us happy :dancy:
Have a wonderful Sunday,
Try not to think about falling, you will be just fine.
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Dancer....I understand your eagerness to get your knee back to normal. But please know that it will get there in its own time. There really isn't anything you can do to "work" on it and make recovery go faster. In fact, the tightness you mention is most likely caused by swelling. It's not uncommon to have swelling for quite a while after a TKR. The best thing to do is not more exercise trying to "loosen" things up, but it's to rest more, ice more and elevate as much as possible. It's boring, I know. But it really does work better than trying to push yourself with activity or exercise. Are you sure you're not doing a bit too much around the house each day? Standing is actualy worse than walking and at your stage it doesn't take much to irritate those tender tissues.

One thing too.....you are at the prime stage for depression to hit after surgery. It's a combination of the trauma, frustration, maybe some pain, and medications that can make a perfect storm. Go have a chat with your GP about it. And, even more importantly.....make sure you are getting enough sleep each day. The depression can be worse if you're tired.

Hang in there....I promise it will get better. So glad to hear you're getting out some. The confidence when you're out will return quickly once you start feeling better and having a bit more energy.
 
One thing too.....you are at the prime stage for depression to hit after surgery. It's a combination of the trauma, frustration, maybe some pain, and medications that can make a perfect storm. Go have a chat with your GP about it. And, even more importantly.....make sure you are getting enough sleep each day. The depression can be worse if you're tired.
Hang in there....I promise it will get better. So glad to hear you're getting out some. The confidence when you're out will return quickly once you start feeling better and having a bit more energy.
Oh wise one, this spoke to me today, thank you... I have hit a flatline of not enough good sleep, and struggling to climb the stairs... I have had some good moments too, but today just feeling a bit isolated. You guys being out there does help.
As a retired teacher I do know that you cannot and should not go back until you are absolutely ready.
Have a good week folks...
 
Thanks Jamie, One of my biggest blessing was finding this site. You guys always say the right things. Thank you for your wisdom. Have a good day.
 
Now you guys have made MY day!!! I'm so glad I could help. :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom