TKR 12 Week check up, suck it up girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all, ok this is a check in. I wish I could say I'm finally back to normal. It's been 6 months! My knee is weak as hell, I'm still limping, and the back of my knee hurts so bad at night. I'm starting to think I'm going to be disabled forever. I'm especially weak and pained when I sit for a while then stand up. And when I over do it, my knee is so stiff. Yesterday, my husband made a point to tell me that he knew a guy who had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago and is literally back to normal. I felt like he was telling me this to make me feel like a failure, and I do. Someone please tell me that I'm not alone. Feeling so frustrated.
 
Nobody is back to normal after 3 weeks. You should ask your husband to introduce you to this man, and see for yourself.

It does seem to me that it's odd for pain so intense to be there after 6 months, but it's not a fault or a failure, it's something to be investigated.
 
danceragainsoon,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems! 6 months is a little ways out there but I know you by your name and it shows me you are determined to get back to living!

What type of exercises are you doing?
Are you still icing and elevating?
You talked about hurting behind the knee after sitting.
Does this happen when you are walking?

I will tag Josephine and see if she can provide some assistance! By the way, we ALL hear of these MIRACLE recoveries, but can't seem to find the person! :rotfl:
 
It sounds like you have a hamstring issue. So can you tell the the exact location of your pain using this chart? Each square needs the number for the row (horizontal) and the column (vertical) to identify it. Also say if it's front or back.

When you've done that, I'll come back and talk with you some more.

[Bonesmart.org] 12 Week check up, suck it up girl.
 
Girl please, I went back to work last week with an almost 6 month old knee and a 10 1/2 week old one and the older knee decided that it wanted to hurt just as bad as the baby! It was awful, :tantrum: I cried and muddled through. I agree with Roy, have hubby introduce you to "miracle man" for some pointers. :skep: You truly are not alone and definitely not a failure. :console2: My setback was due to doing too much in the way of weights and a 1 1/2 inch heel. I know... When can we wear a sensible heel again. Lol :hissy: I have sworn off weights till my knee is HEALED! So NO MORE Outpatient physical therapy dudes that won't listen to me and my body! :no-fin: I will NOT PAY YOU to cause me pain and major setbacks! :hissy: :gaah:

I do agree with Josephine about the hamstring issue. I have a similar pain in my right knee, and it's more prominent when I'm active. I've gotten to the point where I can tell the difference between my knee replacement pain and muscle pain. I have a good exercise/stretch I do to losses my hamstring, I sit on the side of my bed with one leg on the floor and the leg I'm going to stretch extended in front of me, I then grab my heel w/foot flexed and lean forward till I feel a good stretch in the hamstring. I hold it for 30 seconds and repeat it 3-4 times. In the morning before work i only do it a couple of times and a little time on the bike... And of course ICE ICE BABY! :egypdance:

TRUST ME, I get your frustration! :gaah: I was SO MAD that my knees decided to go BACKWARDS just as I was about to go back to work. I had a breakdown on Wednesday while climbing the stairs of my building when I got home. I am happy to say that resting everyday immediately after work has made a big difference. I even went out for a little "information" :martini: on Friday to celebrate making it through my first week back.
:cheers:


Hang in there lady, we WILL get better. :friends:
 
Ok Josephine So this is right leg only. Front A1thru 4-1. B 1 thru 4-0. C 1 thru 4-3 mostly weakness worse when I've sat for a long time. Same with D,E,F. Back of the knee. A,B,C 1 thru 4 0. D1 - 6 only at night in bed. D2-8 only in bed especially when I move during the night. D3- 6 only at night. same with D4-6. I do still ice for the stiffness. As far as exercise, I have to admit. When I get home from work I'm just too tired. My leg is stiff from walking a lot during the day. I hope this isn't a confusing answer. I go to the dr. on Monday, he usually looks at me like I'm making this all up. All he says is be patient.
 
Sorry I'm trying to get all my decorations up. Plus I went to the dr. Hey says he thinks I have a bakers cyst. He can't do anything about it because he doesn't want to put needles in my leg. He also said with my other knee hurting as well as my back its causing my new leg to work harder which is delaying my healing. I have to still be patient. OK well I guess I have no choice. Time to get ready for work.
 
Hey all, it's been a while. I was about to give up and say I was that percentage that didn't get better after my knee replacement 8 months ago. I started doing yoga and some light training. I get up every morning a 5 am and just do it. I am happy to say I'm walking better then I have in years, almost normal. Actually normal at times. Whoohoo! I still have pain in the back and still weak with some movement. But I'll take it. Hope all is well with everyone. Have a great day.
 
I was just like all of you who have commented above - crying like a baby and feeling desperate about ever feeling "normal" again. I can honestly say the same as @danceragainsoon

Now, other than twinges of discomfort that remind me of how far I can go with the TKR, I am can confess that the non-TKR leg is giving me more discomfort and reminding me of the pain I was suffering pre-surgery.

It does take time, patience and acceptance of the fact that we've had major surgery (I stupidly thought it would be a "walk in the park"! excuse the pun) and only wish I'd been a lot wiser beforehand.

I totally avoid kneeling as it makes me feel sick, but then I remind myself of the fact that before the TKR I couldn't even get up from a kneeling position anyway, as invariably the bones just "locked" agonisingly.

You will feel the improvement day by day, week by week and look back wondering why you worried about it. It's not pleasant and probably never will be completely forgettable, but I'd rather have had the surgery than know that I would eventually end up disabled in my more twilight years.

I haven't tried to do yoga just yet @danceragainsoon, but it's on my bucket list
 
Isn't it just amazing how far we've all come. If only we'd believed it at the time!
 
Well it's March and I still have the knee pain but there's nothing I can do so I just keep doing yoga. I getting better at it, I love how bendy I'm getting. But basically if I work out in any fashion, I'm sore and limping the rest of the day. I don't care anymore. I'd rather be stretched and healthy then stiff and depressed. I started something new though. I meditate for 5 minutes a day. I hope it helps. I just want to be happy with myself again. Have a great day all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom