TKR 12 Week check up, suck it up girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing pretty well. I have been dismissed from PT, although my extension still isn't perfect every day. I have now added some walking to my daily routine, but just 10 minutes on the road and my knee says to quit. I also have been in the garden a few times and always over do it: 15 minutes stretches into an hour then all of a sudden it's 2 hours. I need to learn to tell time. Those are the 2 things I have missed the most these past few years, so it's good to be trying them anyway. My sleep is returning, seems like one bad night every 4 or so. I will take that! Hope you are doing well and gearing up to go back to work.
 
I am very, very sorry to read of you little family member---I am sure that it is now waiting at the Bridge for you some day.

I know how it feels---We have had to make that decision several times; I do think , though, that the dog, in its own way, would tell yo that you made the absolutely correct decision---it is a tough thing to do, but it is the truest type of love---and I am sure that the dog would tell you that.

I've become such a loner, I don't like to leave my house. This is so not me. It just take so much effort.

It does take effort to get out of the house and do things---I still had a nasty limp at eight weeks, but I felt that, by getting out, I was bringing a type of normalcy to my life that had been missing for more than two months.

I also teach and one of my dearest friends and colleagues called me "Festus" after the character on the old TV show, Gunsmoke!


However, I cannot help you at all about that leg-shaving thing---something that I have never had to worry about...:snork:
 
Thanks Referee, I get teased all the time by my sassy family. The hair thing is quite weird but on well bring on. It's funny I walk just ok around the house, but in public I'm so worried I'm going to fall I walk even worse. But at least I'm going out alone now. Which is hard as well. Not having anyone to hold on to. 4 more week and I have to grace the school hallway (which is very long). We can do this....
 
When do you know when it's time to give up the cane. I'm 10 weeks out and still walk a little awkward. I hate using it but probably should. I think if I'm using it, it means I'm not getting better. I know crazy but curious of other thoughts... Have a good day everyone.
 
When you forget to pick it up.

I had a good friend of mine make a walking stick which I was proud to carry. I was lucky in having a craftsman friend, but you could buy one, maybe?
 
As long as you feel you need the cane, then by all means use it. I asked my PT that same question..about when to stop using the walker in favor of the cane, and then when to stop using the cane.. He told me that these things are tools..that they are used for a reason, and I was not in a race to see how fast I could do without them!

If you feel more secure using the cane, then by all means don't force yourself to go without it. One day you will just forget to pick it up.
 
Hi all, ok I'm freaking out again. I'm 10 weeks out and last week the pt office was closed for vacation. I rode my recumbent bike everyday and walked a lot but that's it. So yesterday I went back and my leg got stiff again. It went from a range of 117 to 105. It took a lot of work to get it to 117. was so upset I cried. My Pt did his best to try and make me feel better but it was hard. Will I get it back? Does this happen all the time? It's like I'm starting over. I need to get back to work In sept. Will I be able to do it? It feels like I have rubber bands in the back o my knee, that's annoying. Man this does stuff to my head. My nightmare is will it be like this forever? Thanks have a good day.
 
Well, it sounds to be like you might be overdoing it.
So I have some questions to ask you:
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?

I'll be back! :wink:
 
Danceagainsoon, I too wanna dance again and I'm feeling a set back. I went for my post op yesterday and although everything looks fine, my ROM went from 120 at the P/T to 108 at the Drs. Office. I'm no expert but I hear that it will come back, it's a part of the healing process. That doesn't stop the feelings that come along with Stiff Knee Days. Think I'm gonna acronym that phrase... Hear Ye Hear Ye, from now on SKD will stand for Stiff Knee Day! Lol

I understand your concern about returning to work. I'm antsy because I have to do my other knee in Sept. and return to work by the end if November. :hissy:

I'm trying to "walk the line" of not doing too much and not doing enough. Being on Lockdown (where's my ankle bracelet?) and gaining a million pounds isn't helping either. Thank God for this site, it's informative and it let's you know you're not alone.

Hang in there, we'll Dance Again Soon! :cheers:

Bionic Woman2... We can rebuild her. :bicycle1:
 
PT after knee replacement involves a delicate balance between rest and exercise. Day one is 100% rest and 0% exercise. Day two a little exercise is introduced. Each day we have to strike that balance.

Overdo it and what happens? Inflammation. Inflammation is not our friend. It brings swelling and pain. The inflamed tissues do not perform well.

It's really that simple. You want better range of motion? Dial back your exercise and catch up on your healing, settle down the inflammation. You are doing just fine.
 
Thanks friends. I don't really have a lot of swelling or pain. Just stiffness. I ride my bike and I walk alittle then I relax all day. I don't think I'm over doing it. It's like a wall I can't get past. I heard that after you have surgery you have a 3 month window. After that your range is where ever you at. Do you find this to be true. I feel like that machine that pulls back your knee is my friend and my enemy. It hurts so bad but I need it. Thanks
 
I was told about the golden time of opportunity too, I'm 9 weeks out of TKR and am not getting anywhere past 110. Whilst I know that is OK, I feel there's more to be obtained but the knee just won't do it. Mine feels like the medial side is stiff, where most of the damage was, pain starts in that area when I try for better flexion.
Sue
 
Good to hear. This is a long process to complete healing but you're getting there bit by bit.
 
danceragainsoon You never answered my questions ... :sad:

I don't really have a lot of swelling or pain. Just stiffness
Stiffness is a form of pain and needs to be treated as such.
I heard that after you have surgery you have a 3 month window. After that your range is where ever you at.
Absolute hogwash! Don't you believe that for one minute!
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" JBJS.
 
Doctors sometimes measure ROM differently from PTs (and some PTs differ amongst each other in how they measure it). If your OS is satisfied and you are able to do what you like, I wouldn't sweat fluctuations in numbers.
 
I find that my rom isn't as good after a busy day. I know its great so I don't worry about it. Please don't force it, it will be ok. Take care and make sure you don't do so much you get swelling. Tashia
 
HI Josephine, I'm sorry I thought I kind of did. OK my pain is at my worst when working out at the pt, 7 laying down, 1, after cooking dinner, 8. The stiffness occurs when I go to stand up, and when I try to bend. It feels like there[s tape across the top, and rubberbands on the back. I really only take Norco when I go to pt. Otherwise, I'll take a naproxen but I feel like that does nothing. I go to pt 3 times a week. Most of my pain is in the back of my knee, if I sit too long or lay down too long. I try and ice it a couple times a day, but it doesn't look swollen at all. As far as being active. I tire really quick, like when I cook. Or going to the store. I'm trying to walk normal but I haven't for so long that I need to learn again. Thanks for looking out for us.
 
Haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? Hope everything is OK and you are progressing. Catch us up!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom