TKR 12 Week check up, suck it up girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's one thing you can be sure of at BoneSmart- getting tons of good advice! :rolleyes:
 
Thank you Jaime for the tips. They make so much sense and I will use them. I'm about to read the articles right now. I feel like I reached a turning point this past week. My walking has improved greatly, but I do tire easy. Thank you for taking your time with me. I'm going on a little family camping vacation. I plan on relaxing and enjoying being with my family. Have a great day.
 
Hi Dancer, just poppin' in to check on you.
Well I went for my 12 weeks check up. This is what I learned. Apparently I'm in that 20% that takes longer to heal. Most people by now are almost back to normal with no pain and stiffness. So I guess I need to put my big girl panties on and suck it up. The problem is this pain is real. The stiffness is real. I have to go back to work and frankly if he puts me on any restrictions I could get moved, So none of that. The pain isn't really bad except for when I stand up for more then 5 mins. or walk, then it gets stiff. At pt they get it to 120, but that's with hours of stretching. Oh lord, this is real and what is there to suck up. Emotionally I'm a reck, but I'm going to see any physiatrist to see why my anxiety level is so high. Anyways, today I'm going to focus my whole day into walking normal which is also a problem. Relearning this practice is hard. But I'm going to do it. My school kids need me, or I need them.

I see we've been riding on the same emotional roller coaster. Why didn't you sit next to me? :yay: :console2:

I totally understand you about wanting to get back to school. I literally CRIED on the first day of school because I wasn't there to meet my new Kindergarten babies. It took a couple of days for me to stop crying, and a couple of weeks for me to get over it. I'm really not there yet. Me and the teacher I work with are trying to devise a plan to smuggle me in. :sigh: She's taken lost of pictures and shares stories, but it's not the same thing. I miss them sooooo and it won't be able to see them (and my previous students) until December. :cry: So I feel you. HOWEVER, if I were to hobble in there and return to work right now, it will be a whole lotta "Green Mile" goin on. Can you say "Dead Man Walking." :loll:They would knock me down just trying to hug me. :happydance: I'm a bit of a hit with the kids, probably because I'm one of them. :bicycle2:

I'm hoping you can return to work without much pain and keep your current position. :beg: I know all about the chess game in the school system. My work-wife and I will go on strike if they move me when I return. :no-fin:

When it comes to cooking I agree with Daughter Stalker.


What I do for cooking in the kitchen is sit on a bar stool. I don't know if you have one. If not you can pick up an inexpensive one just to sit on in the kitchen while you are cooking. It has helped me out tremendously. I don't have to stand while chopping up veggies.

I even go a step further and attach my Cryo ice machine to my leg if I'm gonna be in there a minute. :heehee: I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up to my leg in the classroom, when I go back after my second surgery. :loll:

You might wanna freeze meals for when you return to work, Hopefully some dear soul will start a meal train for you. :angel:

Here's hoping you're progress picks up enough for you to be confident when you return to work. I think the kids will take your mind off of everything else... they have that effect. :happydance:
 
Thanks for the encouragement Bionic woman. We just got home for a camping vacation. I must say I did well. The sand seemed to be good exercise. But the steps were murder. In the end I was pretty worn out and my good knee feel apart. But on a good note I feel like a made a break through to stronger knees. I'm not so scared to go back to work. My knee feels strong and not so tight. There is a light. Now I just need the rest of my body to be strong. I can do this. I have two more weeks to go.
 
You can do it! Can't wait till it's my turn, although I'm turning into some sort of night owl/solitaire playing/TV/Netflix monster. :hairpulling: Gonna have to start going to bed on time after my next surgery to get my sleep cycle back to normal. :mcoffee: Whatever that is, with my perimenopausal self, my sleeping pattern has BEEN off! :zzz:


Enjoy the rest of your time off. :egypdance:

Trying to go to bed before the rooster crows, so goodnight. :sleep:
 
Well It's that dreaded day I'm going back to work. I'm so nervous and embarrassed. I feel like I'm coming back worse then I left. I'm going to have to build up the endurance. I'm old knee hurts just so bad and gives out, and my new knee sometimes bends so quick I have to stop from falling. But I can do this, I have to do this. I'll just come home and go straight to bed and ice the **** out of it. Anyways, I wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for this site. Thanks everyone. Have a great day.
 
Glad to hear from you. I know it hasn't been easy. :console2: You got the right idea though, just come right home and GET IN THE BED! It's every man and child for themselves tonight! If necessary, take a shower and dress for the morning, where something that doesn't wrinkle. That way you can "jump" right out of bed and go to work. Or, you can lay you clothes out on the edge of the bed and just slide right into them. Kinda like a fireman without the pole.... not ready for the pole yet. :loll:


Seriously, I hope today wasn't that bad and you whipped out your "I'm recovering from TKR" card and got a little sympathy and support. :friends:

Take it as easy as you can, and don't be too hard on yourself. I almost called Whine11 to help set up my pity party, but decided to suck it up too. :sorry: I'm 11 weeks out and some days I wonder WHEN WILL THIS BE OVER WITH! :hairpulling: To make matters worse, I'm about to do another knee in 2 weeks. :scary:

It sounded like a good idea at the time. :umm: Besides, my left leg has let me know... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CANCELLING ON ME! I WILL SHUT YOU DOWN! So 2nd surgery it is. :scare:

Get plenty of rest whenever you can. 3 more wake-ups till the weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Well I did it and then came home and went to bed. It wasn't a real day because the kids don't come til tomorrow. I'm going to take a cane mostly for security. (hehe) I work with lots of small kiddo that have special needs. Bionic, Your only 11 weeks out is pretty deep in the pit of hell, then to have another one soon. I can't even imagine. You will be in my thoughts. Keep us posted and Good Luck..... Thanks for caring.
 
I think the cane is a good idea. :yes: I plan to take mine with me too when I go back to my kiddos in December. About the other knee, there's no way I can leave the left one in it's awful state, it would defeat the purpose of the first surgery. Got fingers crossed :beg: and all I can say is.... One year from now. :egypdance:

Good luck tomorrow. Hug a kiddo for me. :SUNsmile:
 
I had mine done 8 weeks apart and the first one went really well. If that darn 50% chance of MRSA that I knew I had stayed away the second knee was doing better than the first!:happydance:
 
Hey Dancer, just checking on you to see how your first week back at work went. :friends:
 
Hi Bionic woman, I did ok thank you for asking. It was hard and at the end of the day, I barely made it to my car. But all I did was rest for a while and I was fine. I think I'm going to make it. I even danced this weekend. Mostly my upper parts but I danced. Needless to say I'm paying for it now but. I'm getting out more and I think that's exactly what I needed. How are you doing? Did you have your surgery or is it coming soon?
 
The problem is this pain is real. The stiffness is real.
I ride a recumbent bike 25 mins a day.
This is training, not healing, and partly explains pain and stiffness because it's too much.

Pedalling a bike is great for stretching; you lower the saddle until you just can't make a revolution, then GENTLY rock backwards and forwards until, finally and after many goes at it, you can. Each go is about 20-30secs, you do many of them a day. But at no time is this training, you never even breath deeply, it's a mobility exercise.
 
I even danced this weekend. Mostly my upper parts but I danced.

You GO Girl! :egypdance:​

I tried it a couple of weeks ago and was in so much pain, I decided to hang up my dancing shoes till I get my other knee done and I'm healed. :cry:A really good friend of mine is having a party to celebrate getting her Doctorate on November 18th. I've decided I'm bringing a SEAT-BELT with me, so I'll be forced to be a seat-dancer. :umm: I'll wear flats though, in case I come down with a touch of "The Incredible Hulk meets Gene Kelly" and I rip through my seat-belt and start dancing. :happydance:

I'm having my other knee done on the 18th. That's 9 days from now, the countdown has begone. :scare:

Wishing you a Knee-easy week at work, and a lil' fun on the weekends. :egypdance: :martini: :egypdance:
 
Thanks. I went to a pre-surgery class today. Something I meant to do, but didn't the last time. It's amazing how different the recovery information given varies drastically from reality. They definitely weren't spouting out Bonesmart mantras. I took it all with a grain of salt and told every one I came in contact with there about this site. You would think I was a spokesperson for Bonesmart or something. :heehee:

As I was sitting there I actually got excited about doing the other knee, so I can get on with my life! :hissy: I can't wait to throw my hips around on the dance floor. lol :egypdance:
 
I probably shouldn't be giving advice, since I won't even have my surgery now (bilateral TKR) until December, but I'm not speaking from personal experience. My boss's dad had knee replacement surgery & then refused to have the other knee done. It worked out very badly for him, since his other bad knee made him put too much stress on the new good one.
I know that rehab will be tough, but if both knees need it, both knees need it.
 
Totally agree. My bad knee is holding up progress. At this point I wish I had them done together, but my OS doesn't do Bi-laterals. :sad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom