Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

@Josephine. I haven’t worn shorts in years. I don’t own shorts. I only wear long pants or leggings. I can’t bear the sight of this scarred, misshapen leg. I don’t go swimming (wear bathers). I don’t even wear long dresses. And I am happy to accept that as long as they function. Anyway, thank you for doing that on the X-ray. I am sure it’s out of alignment because i feel it pulling inward like I’m knock kneed (valgus?). If I try to straighten it so it doesn’t do that, it really hurts.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @jboles I’ve learnt to accept I don’t have lovely legs and just live with it.

@Josephine. I am confused about that long X-ray. I wrote to the OS and told him I was concerned that my leg wasn’t straight and sent him the pic of my leg being held up using the leg raiser. He ordered the X-ray. But when you have these X-rays it’s forcing your leg into ‘anatomically aligned position’ ie feet together toes forward, knees together and you stand with your body flat against a wall. Ok. That’s just forced my leg to do the same as what the other does naturally but only with great pain and I had to hold my knee as straight as I could. I don’t understand how that shows the crookedness I’m talking about if I am forcing it straight. (Or as straight as I could get it).
 
He will look at your leg when you see him and you can stand any way you want then. Together with the X-ray he’ll have his information.
 
@Jockette. I guess so. I find that odd. If you have an issue with your lungs you have an X-ray to identify the problem ie pneumonia or bronchitis etc. I guess I figure the X-ray is taken to identify the issue, not give you a baseline of what it should look like to compare to the ‘live’ leg in front of you. I don’t know ‍️ lol
 
But when you have these X-rays it’s forcing your leg into ‘anatomically aligned position’ ie feet together toes forward, knees together and you stand with your body flat against a wall.
Because they want as near an anatomically correct picture. But that's why I want to picture as I described. If you really want my help/opinion, why would you not help me to help you?
 
I have tried to, to the best of my ability


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can’t bear the sight of this scarred, misshapen leg.
Shelli, instead of hating the way your leg looks, can you try to think of it as a survivor? It's been through a lot, but it's brave and it's still functioning, even if it does give you pain.
All those scars are badges of honour. They show that your leg (and you) have been through hard times, but you're still here, still aiming to improve. :friends:
 
@Celle that’s an interesting take on it and I’m hoping that one day that is how I see things. Perhaps given time I may come around to that way of thinking, however right now it is nearly five years of a life of pain and lack of ‘living life’ that I tend to become too focused on. I watch those around me enjoying life, able to participate in things and take holidays.

I undertook the initial PKR with the vision of being an active participant in my life. I wish I had never had that very first surgery. I have no issue admitting that I already had self esteems issues regarding the look of my legs. This didn’t occur overnight. I am a product of my past and it will take time for me to change my views regarding the unsightly appearance of my knee and focus on its survival.

To date the knee has just caused me pain and sadness yet I maintain hope that I will eventually get to the core of the problem and subsequently my future will be brighter. The cost to me has been psychological, physical and financial. I will continue to hope and look for answers because frankly I cannot accept that this is as good as it gets. However, how I ‘see’ this knee may take a long time to improve.
 
:console2: I understand wishing you’d never had your partial. That’s how I feel right now with mine. I wonder what path mine will lead me down. Time will tell.
 
OS appointment today. It is misaligned. It is valgus. Sooo what’s next? 3 months waiting for knee to cool down, minimal exercise and off work. In the meantime a scan to determine degree. Re evaluate at 3 months and determine whether I can live with the degree of misalignment or whether too painful and causing issues.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
You said you thought your knee was misaligned. I'm sorry you were correct. Did your OS have an explanation for it? At least he didn't blow you off. I pray that you will have your answers before going back in 3 months.
 
@shelli22 how does your OS determine your knee is misaligned? And what can be done? I’m so worried mine may be misaligned.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@sistersinhim yes he did. He made an error. To do with the cut. He was shocked. And annoyed at himself. Definitely supporting me and is doing everything he needs to so he is prepared. If it has to be redone then I guess so be it. I certainly can’t deal with this pain for ever.
 
@Hood1980 whenever I looked down at my knee it looked like my revision knee kicked out from the knee down causing it to appear to me to be knock kneed or valgus. That really started to bother me so I took a pic of it and sent it via email to the OS. In his reply he put in requests for a long X-ray and a rotating pic of the knee, and bloods. The bloods all came back ok. The ESR is still slightly elevated but that’s probably inflammation. So what can be done? Let it cool to allow it to get as good as it’s going to get. I might be lucky and it’s pain free by then and I will just do exercises for strength
Or.... I have a revision of a revision of a revision in three months time or so...... to correct the part that is incorrect


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's really bad luck that your knee is misaligned, Shelli. I do hope it soon becomes less painful.
How many times has your surgeon tried to get things right with this knee? It seems as if he's had his turns and it could be time to ask for a second opinion.
 
@shelli22 a revision of a revision of a revision?!! I am so sorry that you are going through this. I will have to read your entire story, but my leg looks misaligned too making my ankle hurt really bad like it’s sprained. I don’t know what to do. My ankle hurts more than my knee most days.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Celle. No. I don’t need a second opinion. Prior to this one it has been my swelling and allergy issues. While this may be an error on his part it is just bad luck and not something that he’s trying to ignore or pretend doesn’t exist. In addition I would have to get lawyers involved as it is an accident at work.

@Hood1980 go back to your OS and explain what you believe the issue is and ask for scans to determine alignment. I always go there having researched what I believe to be the issue and give him the facts. I have an excellent OS who always listens and has had surgery himself of this type. He is more than prepared to get to the crux of the problem by doing a range of tests and scans. I guess bottom line is the relationship you have with your OS.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @shelli22. Great advice. I have mentioned it to my OS at my last visit. I will definitely bring it up at my next visit in July. I’m trying to be patient. (I’m only 4 months out from surgery.) but I really think my ankle pain, it feels like a sprain that doesn’t get any better, is keeping me from progressing at this point. I was slightly knock kneed before surgery and I was expecting the surgery to help, not making it worse. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom