Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

So here

[Bonesmart.org] 12 months later but can’t find my thread


To be honest, given your history, I haven't got a clue! Sorry!
 
Went to see the OS today after having scans of hip and knee. He think there is a labral tear in my hip but not keen on doing arthroscopy as I react so inflammatory like. Knee is glowing like a glow worm all the way down to halfway down my shin. Knee is very hot. More scans to determine if infection present, blood tests to be done again and antibiotics for two weeks then the test taking and sample and testing for infection on 4 June. He is fairly sure it’s a low grade infection. Possible requires a two stage revision. We shall see. He hopes that if the pain from the knee is gone it will lessen the pain in the hip because i will have improved gait with no pain.

@Celle or anyone any thoughts? The infection thing annoys me. I’ve said it was infection since the beginning. If you remember the original cultures came back with two different bugs only on one specimen. Usually when it’s only one site they ignore it. My ESR was initially elevated but the following blood test showed it had decreased a lot. However, if after the culture is taken you are out on antibiotics for five days would that be expected as that is the point of them. If it is a low grade infection, then why didn’t that previous test
 
Last edited:
Oh my. I’m sorry to hear the possibility of infection.

I was just thinking of you this morning before I saw your post. :console2:
 
Sorry to hear about the infection and possible two phase revision. I’m guessing the first stage is to clean out the infection? I was also wondering what kind of scans you had that showed an infection? TIA


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 the scan is a gallium bone scan. Nuclear medicine. It determines tissue degradation from what I understand. The gallium salts are taken up by acute and chronic infection, tumours, cancer and inflammation and are good at picking up chronic and older infections where there is a fever but the origin of the fever is unknown.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette thanks for thinking of me. I haven’t posted a lot because no one has any idea. I comment on my symptoms and I try and explain what I am experiencing but throughout this journey I have been unable to get answers. Hence my comment that I am an anomaly lol. It’s quite frustrating. I have pain but it doesn’t fit anyone’s diagnosis. I now know there is an issue causing my hip pain and the knee is making the hip pain worse due to it wanting to ‘pull inward’ to appear knock kneed. Whether the hip is pulling the knee or vice versa it is increasing the pain to almost unbearable.

The knee is extremely inflamed throughout the knee and two thirds or at least half way down the tibia. For a knee that has done no exercise other than minimal ADLs that’s very odd.

Still no answers. So more tests next week. Sigh.
 
I'm sorry your test results point to infection and a possible two-stage revision. You've certainly been having problems for long enough. At the very least you deserve to know what is causing your trouble. :sad:
 
I haven't been on BS for quite awhile and was just catching up on your thread. I was wondering if your additional testing has given you any firm answers? {{{hugs}}}
 
Just thought I’d update on my recovery post revision of LTKR following a fall. I’m back at work on a graded return. It’s not really working well. I am doing 6 hours 3 days a week and I struggle to walk out after my shift with tears in my eyes. I have terrible hip pain while working and my knee swells more throughout my shift. I adhered to the Bonesmart recovery this time so I’m completely baffled with this recovery. The surgeon has suggested removing scar tissue or a revision but I’m not convinced that either will help and to be honest I can’t bear the thought of any more surgery. I had a second and third opinion who all tend to agree with my surgeon yet there doesn’t appear to be a specific reason for the pain and I have been ‘diagnosed’ with synovitis of the hip and scar tissue of the knee. I don’t agree because flexion is great - 125. It’s the extension which isn’t, however it is within the acceptable range. Going down stairs feels like a rod is being pushed up into my knee, especially after I’ve been standing all shift. The pain is behind my patella and it pinches if I turn to lie on my side. Then I have the most excruciating pain in my hip at night after I’ve been at work. I’m doing exercise Physiology and I feel much better after that and physio but then work cause it to flare up again. I’m at a loss with it and I am starting to wonder whether to look for alternate employment. @Celle could you please find my previous thread as I’ve tried but the forum has changed a bit since I was last here and I can’t find it.
 
Should have put paragraphs oops. Sorry. But it won’t allow me to edit sigh.
 
Hi @shelli22
As you requested, I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Can you bookmark their thread, so you can find it when you log on?

I'm sorry your knee is still causing you pain. I hope that it settles down in the end. Maybe your job is too exacting for it? I know that's a hard one, but it may be something to consider.
I'm going to ask @Josephine if she can suggest anything else for you.
 
I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had little/no improvement. I was thinking about you the other day and wondered how you were doing.

I’m sure the thought of changing jobs is very stressful.

My knee has not improved either. I was just thinking about both our situations and I think if I had to go to work like you do, and be on my feet a lot, I would probably have more actual pain than I do. I’m retired, so my knee gets a lot of rest. Probably more than it should, but I have a quiet, low key lifestyle.

I had another second opinion and no definite answer came from it. He took new X-rays and as usual they look fine. He recommended that I see a neurologist. I liked this surgeon and am beyond happy that he didn’t say I need a revision, but I still have nothing to help my knee yet. Of course it was a month before they could give me an appointment with a neurologist. Oh well, it’s been 2 years, what’s another month?

I wish there was a magic wand for those of us with poor outcomes. :console2:
 
Hi @shelli22
As you requested, I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Can you bookmark their thread, so you can find it when you log on?

I'm sorry your knee is still causing you pain. I hope that it settles down in the end. Maybe your job is too exacting for it? I know that's a hard one, but it may be something to consider.
I'm going to ask @Josephine if she can suggest anything else for you.

Thank you @Celle. I have no idea. It’s nursing/midwifery so I’m on my feet all shift. It’s depressing to thing that I may end my career so young (relatively speaking).

I’ll try going on my computer to bookmark my thread. It doesn’t allow me to do much on my phone with the app.
 
@Jockette thanks for thinking of me. I’ve been busy trying to exercise my way back to work. The improvement due to exercise Physiology was initially remarkable until I went back to work. Exercise, and especially bike riding (stationary) loosens it up however work does the opposite. I walk out with knee and hip pain at at a level of 9 or 10 and honestly feel like I’m dragging lead weight to my car when I leave work.

I wish their was answers for us too. I’m sorry you’re still having issues too.

I guess it is what it is, however it’s so frustrating
 
Another way to find your thread is to use the search feature at the top of the page. Type in your username, tap search, and it will pull up posts you’ve made. You’ll recognize your thread title.

I almost posted to you the other day, but I knew it had been a while since you’ve been here, so I didn’t know if you would see it.

It’s nice to see you, even though the report isn’t good. :console2:
 
Hello. It’s been awhile. Just popped in to let you know how it’s all going. To be honest nothings changed. In fact it’s worse. My flexion has dropped to 95. Extension -14. But I’m working 3 eight hour shifts a week. OS will not do a revision. He doesn’t like my reaction I had an independent dr look at my knee and hip and he has suggested I see a hip specialist. He believes it is the sacroiliac joint. Who knows. I have lived with pain all this time. It’s quite often unbearable. But we must soldier on. I guess. Anyway. Just dropped in to say hi. Hope everyone is doing great in their recoveries.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom