Revised PKR to TKR 12 months later but can’t find my thread

I tried to look up the rules in Australia, but it is very complicated. Every state has its own variations.

However, since the purpose seems to be to get a person fit enough to work again, denying further treatments seems counter-productive.

Shelli, I do understand how draining all this has been for you. I do wish that we could help more. :console2:
 
Yep the whole process is weird. I have been fortunate to date as I have just been allowed to go with my original surgeon and have been approved for all he’s requested. I just take it one day at a time. The surgeon has been and is very thorough. I have no complaints to date. It’s just a longer and more complicated than normal process. Some days I’m just over it.

Not only is the whole thing a slow process because I have had numerous surgeries but I also have this new implant which has the long stem. I’m removing the imaginary brakes from my car lol.

I think I just have to accept that there’s a million reasons why this recovery isn’t going to be quick. It does get frustrating though. Withdrawing from uni tipped the scales and upset me. But I can’t concentrate for long and found myself falling asleep in the middle of typing etc. a couple more months and I should hopefully be ok to study. I will hopefully be able to titration the strong meds down in the meantime.
 
Strong medications and the post-anaesthetic haze both contribute to the brain fog that stops you from concentrating properly.
I am an avid reader, but it was a couple of months post-op before I could concentrate long enough to read a book.

That brain fog is another reason for not rushing back to work too soon.
 
It is a very valid reason especially as nurse. I couldn’t go back to work now if I tried. The brain fog, the pain, lack of movement, exhaustion, there is just no way. I guess Celle I am writing this as an honest account when things don’t go quite to Plan. This whole journey began with a PKR that, unlike yours, failed following many investigations and plenty of time to recover. The revisions, arthroscopies and investigations that followed, all in the hope of positive outcomes were thwarted by accidents such as falls and sciatica. It’s has been a journey of hope and disappointment but throughout I have tried to remain positive because at the end of the day it is what it is and I guess you learn to accept what cannot be changed. I will continue to fight. Some days I might sound like I have had enough but it isn’t in my nature to give up though I have accepted that I may never be strong enough to do the job I have trained years for. That too is ok. I’m at the stage now, I just want to be able to wake up with no pain and be able to do normal. Walk, climb stairs, ride a bike (stationary will do) drive and get through a day without being exhausted at the end of it.
 
I'm glad you're not giving up. If nothing else, your brain fog will let up soon and you will be able to do more mentally. I couldn't write fiction (which is my occupation) for three months after my surgery. If I hadn't been warned about brain fog, I'd have been in a panic. It did go away but took longer than I'd have liked.

Getting back to normal things like walking and stairs is a good goal for now. I hope you get to a good, pain-free life!
 
No I’m not giving up but I am just ten weeks now I think. My dog is a cavalier and she needed to have a lump removed from her eyelid. And teeth removed. So I booked her in. But the timing was wrong so no one could drive her at 8 am as that’s school drop of etc so I didn’t take any meds so I could drive her myself.

WELL, the pain was horrific and got worse by the minute. Then when I got home it has taken all day to get the pain to stop.

I am flabbergasted that I’m still in such pain at this stage. I still need strong pain meds or I can’t function at all. Can’t even walk normally let alone anything else. So weird. In all the ops I have had on this knee it has always recovered quickly and well, I have been able to drive by six weeks and reduced pain meds to only night time or just otc meds. Odd. This recovery has certainly shocked me.
 
Last edited:
Wow, that’s a lot of pain you still have. But the first thing that came to my mind is, again, that extra long implant. It must have taken quite a lot of trauma to your body to prepare your leg to receive that implant and a lot more trauma putting it in there.

I do pray that things will settle down and heal and that you have a good outcome. But it looks like it will take longer than “usual” but your implant is longer than usual.

You are in my prayers. :console2:
 
Last edited:
Shelli, when I took opiods, I always sweated with the least amount of exertion. I would get all hot and sweaty just doing leg lifts!! That is what eventually drove me off lortab as I could not stand that feeling. I sympathize with you right now, of course, you are still in a lot of pain, but I am sure the sweating is coming from the opiods.
 
I considered that too skigirl however I had it when I wasn’t on opioids as well, though it is possible it could be that. The other thing is that I sometimes don’t take them if I have to do something important (like take dog to vet for surgery) and I still have this profuse sweating and I mean profuse- it drips off my forehead or nose or chin - so very attractive !!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
I wish I had a suggestion for you. :console2:
 
Could it be hot flashes? It sounds like the way I do when I have one.
 
I take hrt so no. Had that checked by gp. Even tried changing hrt


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh well, so much for that theory. I have no other suggestion unless it is related to the meds you're taking.
 
I do appreciate you trying to help. I investigated all that a few times. Even the drs are at a loss. That’s why I have an appointment with an endocrinologist. Only problem is the earliest I can get in is June.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh my, June is so far away. Can one of your current doctor’s help you get in sooner?
 
I am saddened to read your post; I try to read all posts but on the contrary, I like, if anything at all, to read posts of individuals who have had a difficult journey - that is where I get my inspiration from. Knowing that someone has had a difficult journey but against all odds, has pulled through gives me hope. This journey is not an easy one and as humans, we all go through healing in our own different ways.

A relative of mine underwent knee surgery; hers has been smooth sailing and all she does is drum in how beautiful her journey has been. Needless to say, I have cut her off! If you can't sympathize and realize that we all heal differently, then you are no good to me. Total knee surgery is challenging, and I want to send my very best wishes for a smooth recovery henceforth.

I wish I could grant you healthy life forever, but life is not what we expect it to be - it throws us many challenges. We are not defined by our relapses but it is our decision to remain in recovery despite the relapses and challenges. I am sure there are tons of us who are interested in your recovery, no matter how long it takes. Please don't stress about the closed doors (if indeed they are any). New doors are opening only if you move forward. Praying with you, and for you. It is well!
 
Really feeling for you Shelli. You’ve had a rough time. No advice just to say keep posting. I always feel writing things down is good therapy and you might help others along the way.
 
@shelli22 In the weeks after my surgery I had the sweats like you wouldn't believe, and I can assure you I am well past the hot flashes age. It was so apparent in skilled nursing, because I would be dying of heat, and my roommate would be shivering under tons of blankets. We were quite a pair. It wasn't as bad when I got home, but it was still going on. I think it was a combination of all the medication, the stress, a reaction of my body to the surgery. Today it is not an issue, and I can't really remember when it resolved. It was so bad in skilled nursing that my back broke out in an itchy rash due to my perspiration and the plastic cover they keep over the mattresses. I was a hot mess! :rotfl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom