Guest viewing is limited

4 weeks out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BbB

new member
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
2
Age
80
Location
United States
4 weeks and two days post op for total knee, on the second day after surgery i fell in the hosp, had to have more surgery as i opened knee up according to nurse actually had tendons hanging out. two weeks in rehab and home. my range is only 90 somedays less. still have lots of pain, take a oxy 20 time release in am which last twelve hrs, and vicodin for breakthru pain, somewhat helpful but not great. one more week of home therapy and then out pt PT. i hate the stiffness how long does the stiffness generally last. How long do most people stay on pain meds? walking with cane when out in house ambulate independently. just wondering if im on track from what ive read most people have better range by now. thanks.
 
Hi there and welcome to post-op! I will be six weeks out on Tuesday and my best measured flexion range so far has been 85. I am steadily gaining more, but slowly, which is fine by me. I really don't doubt that it will come eventually. My goal at this point is to try to stretch and work the knee but more importantly to keep the swelling down. Range will come, but not if I'm swollen.

I am also still taking pain meds round the clock every four hours. I even set my alarm during the night. I have discovered, as everyone has said, that it is important to stay ahead of the pain by staying on a timed schedule. Once you're hurting it's hard to catch up. I'm contemplating seeing if I can go to an every five hour schedule. I may try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Here's hoping that you have an uneventful recovery from this point on. Having a bad fall in the hospital must have been really scary! You've already been through a lot! I hope the rest is nothing but routine! Niki
 
Hi BbB, welcome to Bonesmart!

Sorry to hear about your traumatic start to recovery but from now on you will continue to improve. The stiffness is almost universal for the first few weeks but gradually subsides as long as you are taking your pain meds on schedule and regularly icing and elevating your leg. The stiffness is swelling and once the swelling goes down your knee will become more flexible.

I'm 5 weeks out and gaining ROM slowly but surely, still very stiff in the mornings but it is improving. Make sure your pt is gentle with you and don't allow them to do anything that hurts - discomfort is OK - pain is not!

Keep us posted on your progress - it sounds like you're doing just fine - be patient with yourself!:thumb:
 
Welcome to bonesmart BbB! Sorry to hear about your post op injury. Good thing you will still in the hospital.

The stiffness lasts for awhile (I still deal with it at 10+ months post-op). I know that was one thing I wasn't really prepared for. The good thing is, you will loosen up but it's slow-going and can't be rushed. Be kind to your new knee.:wink1:
 
Tightness and swelling will be with you as stated, for some time to come. You are doing just fine. I used my cane through most of the winter last year, almost as a safety blanket for awhile... Just don't be in too much of a hurry as your knee will dictate how your recovery is going. I hope you are going to have a GOOD outpatient therapist. He/she can make a world of difference. Do not let them hurt you. I went to my therapist and the first thing I told him was, don't hurt me, and don't let me hurt myself. Therapy will have some pain, but it should never be past discomfort. My statement was for him to understand I don't want to be injured or require more surgery. And he has been good to make sure I don't do more than I am ready for, so I don't hurt myself.
 
Hello, BbB. I really wouldn't pay too much attention to what the nurse said. It's impossible for you to have had "tendons hanging out" as they are attached both ends! It was more likely just bits of fatty tissue which is very superficial.

Anyway, nasty thing to have had happen.

As regards your pain and stiffness, I would imagine much of your stiffness is due to pain which is undermedicated. You also never mentioned icing and elevating which are vital tools in this process.

You need to read these articles which address most of the problems you are experiencing.
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
Using ice

Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT)
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity
 
Thanks for the response. It helps to hear from people who are going thru the same thing or have been there. Saw my primary today who changed and increased my pain meds, hopefully this will help. Starting out patient therapy on Mon. and I plan to make it clear that I am not going to put up with over aggressive therapy. In the rehab facility I had a therapist who would bend my knee looking for more range until I actually screamed, I saw her do this to a lot of people. I have no problem working hard and am motivated but don't see the need for this kind of therapy. Can't believe how easily I become fatigued, just doing a few chores whips me. Other people feel like this at four weeks? Thanks for listening.
 
Oh yes, weak as as a 3 week old. I'm still getting stronger from my bike crash in August. And I'm an active guy. You'll get stronger, just takes, time and patience!
 
Hi, BbB....welcome to the forum. You are still VERY early in this recovery process so you can expect to have pains here and there and get tired easily. That's why we stress proper pain management and plenty of rest and naps. Your body needs this to heal!!

Do take a look at all the threads Josephine linked you to. You'll find answers to your questions there as well as in the comments you'll get from other BoneSmarties. Don't hesitate to post any quesitons or concerns you may have as you go along on this journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom