Guest viewing is limited

hello everyone! *waves*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamakat

new member
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
15
Age
57
Location
United States
I'm so grateful I found this forum through an article online about TKR.
I am scheduled for TKR on July 13th. Yes, it is a Friday but I've always considered it lucky.

I would love to hear stories about those who are where I am now.
My knee has bothered me since my teens but it didn't become debilitating until after the birth of my twins, who are now 4.5 yrs old.I was so GINORMOUS when preggers w/them, I couldn't walk. (the doc said I had enough fluid in each sac for 14lb babies but the twins were only 4 lbs 6 oz.)

I have seen 2 ortho surgeons who both refused to do TKR due to my "young" age. The cortisone shot gives relief for one day, the series of 3 shots, 1 per week, only gave relief for a week after the last injection.

My right knee has severe arthritis with bone on bone, bone fragments and a torn meniscus. The constant pain is unbearable but I don't have the option of stopping because I have a 9y.o. son and 4½y.o. girl twins and no help where we live as family are all too far away. I don't sleep well at night due to the extreme pain. My hip hurts a lot now due to my gait and I rely on my left knee too much. It already has mild arthritis. My lower back hurts a lot as well due to my gait. I already have mild deformity in my rt knee (bowing).

I FINALLY found a surgeon at the Hughston Clinic in Georgia who agreed I would benefit from a TKR. The other ortho surgeons told me a TKR can't be redone but my new ortho doc told me it can be rebuilt.

My quality of life is around 1 on a scale of 1-10 now. I can't walk w/o severe pain, I can't play with my kids and the chronic pain wears me down to a nub of raw nerves by the end of the day. Even taking a shower is painful. We had to borrow a wheelchair so we could take the kids to Disney a few weeks ago because I can't walk very much. I know in my heart and with all my intellect that I have to do this but because of the last 2 ortho docs, I am questioning it and 2nd guessing myself. Both told me it's a horrid experience and they would never want to go through it. I argued that it can't be worse than the intense pain I deal with on a daily basis. Oh, I'm 5' 2" and around 170 lbs. I can't exercise to lose weight to take excess pressure off my knee due to the pain. I can't even do low impact exercise in our pool due to the pain.

brb - husband needs me to put sunscreen on the kidlets before they get in the pool. I am on bed rest today because I had an angiogram yesterday to check the status of my brain aneurysm.

btw - I LOVE this one; :doggieshmooze:
 
Wow. I just got up to put sunscreen on the kids so husband could get in the pool with them and I hit the floor. I reckon I'm weaker than I realized from the angiogram and my right knee just gave out.

back to my original post;
~ what are ya'll's opinions regarding TKR? (yep, i'm a southerner. lol!)
~ did it improve or complicate your life?
~ how long did it take to get back on your own 2? This is a biggie for me because I can't be down long. I've always had to hit the ground running after every illness and/or surgery. I have 3 kids, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 1 rescue kitten and 2 hermit crabs. I don't have the option of being down.
~ given my life, will I need home help after surgery and if so, an average of how long?

I apologize if my questions have been covered elsewhere. The only reason I have time to be online today is because I have to be still today and recover.

Thanks for ya'll's time,
Kat
 
Hi mamakat! You will find people just like you that are trying to figure out the same answers, and those that have already been through it. I'm just hear to say hello and welcome! I'm having bilaterl tkr on Monday, so getting last minute stuff done!
 
Hi mamakat! You will find people just like you that are trying to figure out the same answers, and those that have already been through it. I'm just hear to say hello and welcome! I'm having bilaterl tkr on Monday, so getting last minute stuff done!

thank you for the welcome and i wish you fast healing!
 
I forgot to mention, the 2nd ortho doc would only do this bone lengthening surgery on me which, upon research, seemed completely barbaric and the equivalent of getting your tubes tied knowing you'll need a total hysterectomy soon. It seemed like a band-aid solution. Ironically, one of his relatives suggested I try the Hughston Clinic which is where my TKR will be done.
 
PS - a lot of the terms ya'll use here is all Greek to me. I suppose that means I need to educate myself more prior to TKR.
 
Hi Mamakat! By how you describe your condition, I'm sure you have come to terms with accepting that TKR is the way forward. My first surgery is in 3 weeks' time, and yes, I am apprehensive but I do really not have any other options. Well, there is one, that is a wheelchair, but that I really do not want to consider.

Now, let's be honest - this is major surgery, and recovery will take time. It will be more difficult with 3 young kids and a menagerie of animals to look after. But the thing to remember is - you will be better at the end of it. Not having the surgery will just be giving you indefinite pain, and you have already described what you can't do. I would not worry about your age and weight - if you check some of the other threads - there's loads of people on here in their forties - some even younger. As far as your weight is concerned - once you have recovered you will be able to excercise and you'll probably lose it running after your kids!

Try spending some time reading in the library section - a lot of the questions you might have will be answered there. Read some stories in the recovery section - there are some inspirational stories from people who have come out the other side. And as you read about other's recovery it gives you an idea on what to expect.

This is a great forum - and there is always someone to offer help and advice.
 
ps - a lot of the terms ya'll use here is all greek to me. i suppose that means i need to educate myself more prior to TKR.

Just ask! A shorthand that developed here is OS for Orthopedic Surgeon.
 
Hello, Mamacat, and welcome to the forum. We are so happy that you have joined us. You are not too young for a TKR; and, if it is necessary some many years in the future, a revision CAN be done (any really good orthopaedic surgeon knows this). And it is NOT a horrid experience---it is challenging but a far, far cry from horrid. I had both knees done 2 days apart--one of the best decisions I ever made--and post surgery pain was better than pre surgery pain---and after surgery the pain goes away as you heal.

We have a great Library here full of very informative articles. I am going to give you links to some that are essential reading:

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Nurturing mother

I know this seems a lot, but they are not lenghtly, and they are extremely informative. They should answer some of the questions in your mind and some you may not have thought of yet.

I also highly recommend Brugioni and Falkel's Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation. It is an excellent resource. It is available on Amazon in paperback and ebook for $15 and $10 respectively.

You deserve to have a pain free life so you can enjoy being and doing with your family and friends. You will find that recovery is a pretty long term thing----but it will not be any worse than what you are suffereing now and as it goes along will become better and better.

Please remember that we are here to answer your questions and concerns, to give you a place to vent if you need to, and to support and encourage you from pre op to post op to full recovery.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you so much for welcoming me into the fold! And thanks for the list of references! That's a huge solid since, I'm often busy with kids and life.
I have been very blessed with several online forum communities. I have made many lifelong friendships at the old godsmack forum and recently, at the brain aneurysm foundation's forum, while recovering from coiling for my brain aneurysm.

We're so fortunate to have access to so much valuable information but more importantly, such wonderful, positive support groups online.
 
Welcome! you have come to the right place! There are quite a few of us who have had a TKR or a BTKR at a younger age. We will be with you every step of the
way.
 
Hi mamakat,

Welcome! I am scheduled for my 2nd TKR next week. The first one is getting better and better and I have never regretted going this route. Glad you found a doctor who understands.
 
bottomshollow - thank you so much for taking the time to link me to those articles.

Egad. I honestly don't know how I'm going to do it.W e don't have family nearby to help us and all my friends are busy with their own lives and kids.

Does anyone have an estimate of how long I'll need help at home? When I told my husband it looked as if I might need help for at least a month and he wasn't digging it.H is suggestion is to take the twins to daycare but I get the feeling I'll need help myself.
 
Hi mamakat,

Welcome! I am scheduled for my 2nd TKR next week. The first one is getting better and better and I have never regretted going this route. Glad you found a doctor who understands.

Thank you! It's good to hear you don't have any regrets. I don't think I will either as pain is a constant for me but I just don't know how I can get a TKR w/o help at home.

I thought I'd found the light at the end of the tunnel upon finally finding a surgeon who will do a TKR but after reading how intensive recovery is, I'm not sure I can even do it. After my brain aneurysm was fixed, they released me from the hospital the next day (shocking, I know. Hospital stay is determined by insurance companies now and not the doctors in the US) and it was right back to taking care of the kids while recovering from brain surgery AND walking pneumonia. It was a nightmare.
 
I thought I'd found the light at the end of the tunnel upon finally finding a surgeon who will do a TKR but after reading how intensive recovery is, I'm not sure I can even do it.
Egad. I honestly don't know how I'm going to do it. We don't have family nearby to help us and all my friends are busy with their own lives and kids.
Don't mix 'intensive' with 'major'. Knee surgery is painful but manageable so long as you don't do too much too soon. I have written out a Progression of activity for TKRs for people to be able to predict somewhat how they can expect their recovery to go.

The facts are that it is pretty imperative you follow a regimen like this as you will be too drained and exhausted to do much else in the first few weeks (Energy drain for TKRs) and if you try, you risk causing your leg to blow up like a balloon and make your recovery even longer! Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it? Quite simply, it's not worth the pain, exhaustion and risk to your recovery.
Does anyone have an estimate of how long I'll need help at home? When I told my husband it looked as if I might need help for at least a month and he wasn't digging it. His suggestion is to take the twins to daycare but I get the feeling I'll need help myself.
I strongly suggest you look at this thread TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos and get your husband to watch a video of a knee replacement surgery! Perhaps he might get a better idea of what's going to happen to you and why your recovery is going to be looooooong!

Seriously, you need him on side as he is going to be your recovery partner. Mums have every right to have time out when they are ill or have had surgery like this. Don't be suckered into thinking that you have no choice - you do and you must. This is YOU time and you are entitled. Read this Nurturing mother
~ what are ya'll's opinions regarding TKR - did it improve or complicate your life?
Improved it 110% and never regretted it for an instance - except in the first 2-3 weeks when everybody (and that will include you!) wonders what the heck made them do such an insane thing! But it passes and shortly thereafter you being to find your life again.
~ how long did it take to get back on your own 2 feet? This is a biggie for me because I can't be down long. I don't have the option of being down.
That's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. Read the article I left you earlier on the progression of activity. You might also like to read this My knee recovery - UK style (Josephine)
~ given my life, will I need home help after surgery and if so, an average of how long?
Depends how much your husband is going to step up to the plate for you. I suppose he goes out to work? If he will help you when he's at home, then you will only need a little help during the day for yourself but you will need someone to look after the extended family! It might be 2-3 weeks minimum before you can do any of that at all.
After my brain aneurysm was fixed, they released me from the hospital the next day (shocking, I know. Hospital stay is determined by insurance companies now and not the doctors in the US) and it was right back to taking care of the kids while recovering from brain surgery AND walking pneumonia. It was a nightmare.
Not shocking at all - these procedures are invariably just a day case or overnight stay. It's not the insurance companies.
I forgot to mention, the 2nd ortho doc would only do this bone lengthening surgery on me which, upon research, seemed completely barbaric
Most certainly is and I am glad you decided against it for another very good reason - it doesn't work!


I will emphasise again, if you have this done, you really don't have a choice about taking it easy in the first 8-10 weeks. If you rush it, your leg will become permanently swollen and you will risk getting adhesions and a stiff knee (
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions). This is also a painful situation and you will find yourself needing to take pain meds longer as well. You will have to be on strong pain meds for the first few weeks which will make you drowsy and fatigued thus less able to be responsible for the babies anyway. And you cannot not take them - this is painful surgery and strong pain meds are absolutely essential to getting good function back in your knee. There will be no way you can manage on ibuprofen or Tylenol.
 
Welcome mamakat! I can see that you are trying to figure out if you and your family can swing the recovery. I understand your concerns. I think that if you can get someone to help you out for a week or 2 and have your husband take the kids to daycare and then pick them upon his way home from work, you'll be ok. It will take a commitment from your hubby and do try to have someone in a backup position. The kids may not eat home cooked veggies and the way you would feed them, be as clean for a couple of months, but they will survive. It will be a little bit tough on your husband, but he'll be ok, too. Anyway, I felt as though you needed someone to think it out with you, am I right? I understand that you need this and will be a better wife and mother after you recover, and that you need to know that you can work everything out while you recover. I also think that you can get a home health aid to help you out for a bit.
Again, welcome. I'm just learning, too. My surgery is scheduled for July 25th.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom