Guest viewing is limited

MUA zumbaGirl's knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking Percocet 10/325 2 pills every four hours. It's not painful so much when I sit but when I move.
Then it's probably not enough for you or suitable for you. Ask your doctor (surgeon or GP) if you can have Tramadol instead.
I'm staying at parents and they are at point where I feel like I'm not doing enough so I've been up and about more. It's very "bend that knee" you gotta move and bend the knee. So on so forth
Well, they're almost right but more wrong! You need more rest than activity in the first 3-4 weeks.
I also have to go up and down a flight of steps to use bathroom and I can't sleep cause too much pressure when I lay down on my hip/glute area due to muscle spasm or nerve.
You can't sleep because you've just had major surgery! Also because your pain meds aren't adequate. Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
nobody ever really said what to do or not. Just sent me home with a book and told me to do the exercises and I should be at 90 degree bend at one week.
Well, we'll take up that slack for you! Just follow the advice in the articles and you'll be fine. And there is no certainties about when you should reach targets.
I am 65 degrees an it be two weeks this coming Thursday.
More questions ...
- is your leg very swollen and stiff? A swollen, stiff leg won't bend - as it says in the article. So you need to concentrate on getting the swelling down. Swelling is connected to pain so that needs to be dealt with too. But you will know this is you read the article!
- are you doing heel slides every so often? Ten of them about 4-5 times a day should be about right. But they are essential.
 
Thank you :) I am still on through phone so it's hard for me to navigate around and what not. So trying to answer my best here.

I can't take Tramadol as it messes with my BP. I have a weird sensitivity to medicine. My old ENT surgeon had a name for it. Idiosyncratic I think. I've been on Percocet for three years so it's tough. I also have oxy ir 5mg take 2 every 4 hrs but I get confused easily with what to take when, how much, etc. I've called pharmacist and doc. I also have fentynal patch but not a fan of that.

Everyone says to move as much as I can but everything I read says different. Yes I still have swelling. Not near as bad as when I came home. I ice and elevate. My PT said it's a crazy cycle cause we need the knee straight yet to bend so when you work on one the other jams up. That's my prob now and I try not to worry about it and focus on icing and elevating.

I do ankle pumps and circles, heel slides, I sit in a rocker and try to rock my knee back and forth. I do quad sets and leg raises. I can't raise my leg yet when doing a quad set or while dangling. I also have an exercise with a foam roller under knee and have to raise and can't do that. I was at 70 yesterday.
 
I suggest that in early recovery one should ignore training-type exercise and only do stretches. Training can come later, when the affected areas are healed.
 
These are all exercises that are in the Joint Camp book we were sent home with. I do a lot of stretches and try to keep stretched out. If I sit too long with it elevated I can't bend it. If I bend it too much well you get it. However they all were exercises we had to do the day after surgery in joint camp. We went twice a day. The day after surgery they had us sit with PVC pipe across our chair with our knee bent and raise our leg.
 
My logic is like this: if you do a training exercise such as a leg raise then you are training the quads. But to do it you also have to put force through the tendons surrounding the knee, tendons that have been quite severely traumatised during surgery. Exercising damaged tissue is never a good thing - you don't train a pulled or strained muscle, for instance. Thus the good thing of training the quad is countered by the bad thing of stressing tendons around the knee.

My view, so, is that it's better to leave it.

Obviously, though, it's up to you to decide what you want to do.
 
Oh I totally get what you saying and I am just going on what my surgeon expects of me or anyone that goes through our Ortho department. Personally I think it's too much too soon but they say that jumping right into those exercises have proved a much faster recovery and quicker on feet. Hmmm i don't know if I buy all that but it's in the book. I go to therapy and I do some exercises at home but I won't push through the pain. My knee has gone out on me a few times and they say its because the muscles aren't strong. Hence the exercises. I went and got dressing changed today and it looks good and my stitches come out on the 30 th. It almost has a tingly feeling to it. My knot or spasm in my glute/hip is driving me crazy. I appreciate all your help here.
 
Everyone says to move as much as I can but everything I read says different
Yes, it is confusing, isn't it? But you have to bear in mind that most every website has a surgeon behind it and it's written according to his ideas and preferences. More on that later.
I am just going on what my surgeon expects of me or anyone that goes through our Ortho department. Personally I think it's too much too soon but they say that jumping right into those exercises have proved a much faster recovery and quicker on feet.
Well, I've been in this business for a long ol' time and in my opinion you are right!
My knee has gone out on me a few times and they say its because the muscles aren't strong. Hence the exercises.
And this is where they are wrong - your knee isn't weak or out of condition, it's injured and that's a big difference. If you broke your leg, would you expect that exercising it would make it heal faster? Of course not! An injured leg/muscles/whatever needs one thing - rest! But it also needs some exercises as well but gently.
My knot or spasm in my glute/hip is driving me crazy.
Where is this pain? Is it in the upper part of your leg/thigh? If so, it might be tourniquet pain as per Tourniquet pain in upper thigh.

If it's not that, why don't you try this Acupressure massage.
 
Hi Zumba Girl,

Your only 9 days out. Its a slow process, your body has been thru alot. It will take time, but you will eventually start to feel better.

Listen to the others. Rest, take your painkillers, elevate and ice. Sleep when you can, but it may be a while before you get a good night sleep.

I had my left knee replaced in Jan (2013) and i've recently noticed that thete are days I dont even think about my knees. From before surgery, when almost every waking moment, everything revolvrd around how the knees felt, whether they hurt or was stiff or swollen to the way i feel now is amazing.

Just keep plugging along. It will get bettet.
 
I thank you all for the wonderful suggestions and tips. The quad pain is more both so it's confusing me. Part feels like the one kind of pain and part other. I am bruised all along the side of my upper thigh and that is so tender. I went to PT Wednesday and my therapist pushed so hard on my knee to measure the bend I literally had to tell
Her to stop. So of course yesterday was worse and today I go again. I called joint camp and they told me all this is normal and the therapist is doing her job and to keep doing all my exercises 3x day for 30 reps a piece. Ya well I've been icing and elevating and doing the light exercises. It hurts too much and not gonna push it today either. Frustrated.
 
I repeat myself, but here goes anyway.

No pain, more gain.

Taking drugs to mask pain in PT doesn't help one to move forward by enabling exercise that otherwise would be impossible; it sets one back by allowing damage to traumatised tissue that the body would otherwise stop one doing.
 
Again I thank you. PT Friday caused me some tears. My ROM went down and I went home. I go Thursday for my 3 week post op. all weekend I've been icing and elevating. I haven't pushed myself as much and quite honestly if my surgeon finds out I haven't been doing my 3 sets of exercises everyday he'd probably be ticked. I go from feeling ok to my knee being really tight. It is swollen and i know that contributes to the lack of range. I am going to read some more on here and see what else I can learn.
 
NO TEARS in PT! It only causes more swelling. And if your surgeon is 'ticked' about you not doing your exercises, don't let it get to you - he's neither your boss nor your father, you employ him so it's up to you to choose what you do, when and how.

But just as a matter of interest, I trust you are doing some heel slides two or three times a day? And walking? (just checking! :wink:)
 
Josephine, I had my surgery same day as zumbagirl. How much walking do you suggest we do at this point. I read the articles and seem to recall it says in weeks 3-4 we should walk 10 minutes. Is that correct?
 
I went to PT Wednesday and my therapist pushed so hard on my knee to measure the bend I literally had to tell Her to stop. S
Do not let any body hurt you---many PT's, unfortunately, have the "athletic-type" approach and it is "no pain, no gain", which is contrary to what works.

PT should only go to the point of discomfort---no further. Set secondaries and limits with your PT--remember---your PT works for you, not vice versa.
 
Oh, sweetie, do not let the PT or your surgeon bully you!! You do not need to follow what THEY tell
you to do to the letter. Until your surgeon and your PT have a knee replacement, they really do not know first hand what to do!!

If your surgeon try's to scare you, bully you, or threaten you with Bull**** about never getting your knee to bend, walk away!!

Listen to the members here who have done this recovery first hand. Listen to Josephine.

The handout of excercises you got is just a guideline, not gospel, dearheart. You need to slow down, stop letting the PT hurt you, and stop feeling like you are never going to get anywhere. The physical therapist, with the push through the pain attitude is causing a lot of the problem. Take a break from PT. Let that knee rest and heal!

When the swelling from injury and your PT have gone down, you will see and feel some results. Take a few days off my dear.
 
Again, alot of great info and I love I can come here and feel welcome. I'm starting to get a vibe from my family that its time for me to go home. Been staying with them since surgery and they are constantly saying, bend that knee, you need to sit and rock and bend that or it's never gonna move. I'm pretty sure I could take care of myself at my apt but not so sure I could cook, clean and take care of my 7 yr old all that well. She has a birthday party sat and I'm gonna try driving after stitches out Thursday I guess.

I am doing heel slides w/wo a rope to assist, I also have been to store so walking. I do quad sets and these other exercises to strengthen my glutes. Ankle pumps and circle.

My knee feels like its "catching"?? Almost like when I try to move bend or walk that it's not setting right and is getting hung up. I can feel and almost hear (I'm sure what I think I'm hearing is more like what I'm feeling when I move) if that makes sense. They tell me it's becaus my muscles aren't tight and strong yet and everything is still trying to come together.

I know my mom has had this surgery. 19 years ago but I'm getting frustrated when I'm doing the best I can yet constantly being told to Ben Bend bend.

Also, when Do I keep all posts pertaining to my knee In this thread? Wasn't sure if I had to start a new one or not. One nice thing about going home is I can use my laptop and jump around and read more. My phone scrolling is hurting my eyes.

Oh and did I mention I am almost 3 weeks smoke free as well as that far out from sx!! I could go back to smoking easily cause I'm stressed but haven't. Thanks again for all the help. You are all the best!!
 
...my family ... are constantly saying, bend that knee, you need to sit and rock and bend that or it's never gonna move
Are they doctors? Physiotherapists? Thought not, so tell 'em to naff off.

Stretching is a good thing, but recovery would proceed even without.
 
Hello Zumbagirl!

The tightness in your glute/hamstring can be relieved with either a tennis ball, or your fist. Put firm pressure and go in a circular motion. It will hurt as you are doing it, but when you stop it should help relax those muscles. If that doesn't work talk to PT. When you go to PT at this stage, I suggest taking something for pain. (No, I am not talking about masking the pain). Part of the problem is; getting into a car, out of a car walking to PT and back. Tell your PT you want to do gentle heel slides "on your own" without him pushing. Go to the point of discomfort, not pain. Same thing with bike and all other exercises. Keep up the icing and elevation and things will get better! I promise! :happydance:
 
Zumba girl,
I had my surgery same day as you and have been staying with my brother and his wife. I have also been thinking it may be time to go home but have decided to allow myself one month here at my brothers. I figure this is where I am most comfortable and getting the most rest and I want to give my knee the full first month in the most comfortable setting possible. I suggest you stay a bit longer and just ask them to let you do it at your own pace. I have actually shown some of my family members(the ones who think I'm not doing enough) the forum. That has shut them up. I can't imagine driving this early in the game. I do get antsy, looking forward to this being over but I keep reminding myself of what I have learned on this forum: if I rush things I could end up back at square one and that's the last thing I need so I have put pretty well my whole life on hold and focus only on my knee and what it needs right now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom