MUA zumbaGirl's knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumbaGirl

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone. I'm new here and found your page while searching for answers to some surgery questions. Anyway, I have had several knee surgeries starting in 2001 with Bilateral Knee scopes. My latest however and what brought me here is a LTKR. I am 39 years old/female and have wanted this for 6 years and now that someone decided to do it I am seriously wondering what I was thinking!! My surgery was May 9 2013. I haven't slept and my ROM is lack there of. However I have found some useful information here and that's why I joined the forums. So I hope you will be patient with me as I figure out my way around here. I read the sticky on signatures and believe I need to have a min of posts first? I have had several surgeries to post and I look forward to learning more to help get me through this. Thanks for having me here

welcome 8.jpg
zumbaGirl, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. You are only 9 days post op---and I can see that you are expecting much too much way too soon. I have some reading for you! The first set is essential reading, the second and third are useful and the fourth is just good information, but you will need it all.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

I also want to share the BoneSmart mantra with you. Following it to the letter will assure you of the best possible recovery.
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. hugs 13.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum - I have not had my TKR yet but from what I have read on here 9 days out is very very early - this is major surgery and recovery takes months and you continue to improve for a whole year. Very few people mange to get much sleep for the first month or two

Do you have the right pain meds? Are you resting, icing and elevating?

Wow!! Thank you for the reply and warm welcome :) I have already read some of those articles you posted as that is what brought me here :) I can wait to read more. I am staying at my parents and am online through phone and trying to find a cable to get online via laptop. Reading will be easier. I am constantly icing and elevating and it's hard to lay down cause I have a knot or spasm in my glute and can't get rid of it. Been to PT twice so far. I take my pain meds as prescribed but run into problem overnight as by then I'm at my max dose. It's frustrating for sure but I'm hanging in there. Thank you for all the information. :)

Welcome to BoneSmart! Very early days for you zumbaGirl. But please don't worry - things will get better and better. What medication are you taking currently? You may need to call your family doctor (GP) if they are not controlling the pain. Getting the cocktail right is one of the biggest challenges just post op. Hang in there!

zumbaGirl, when you get the connection you need, I have found an avatar that I thought you might like to use. It is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done.

zumba 5.jpg
If you are not interested, my feelings will not be hurt. I just enjoy doing this when the opportunity presents itself.

That's neat, Judy! Where do you find these graphics? Please tell me.

zumbaGirl I did your signature for you but I think you need a different title to your thread here. Tell me what you'd like and I'll change it.

Thank you!! I love the Avatar as appreciate you takin time to do that for me. I don't know what all you need for my signature as I've had several knee surgeries. You also mentioned changing title I'm thread? Meaning this thread? I'm not sure what to write. Did I read right that you keep all your recovery progress updates in one thread? So basically anything pertaining to my recovery I post here right? Aye!! Sorry for confusion lol

I take Percocet 10-325 1-2 every four hours and they gave me oxy ir for breakthrough pain. Problem is, I have take Percocet for over three years due to knee pain and quit the week before surgery but didn't help. Or it's helping and the pain is what it is. I swear when I stand t feels like burning pulling someone poured 50lbs of cement in my leg!!

Hi, zumbaGirl, welcome to BoneSmart.

I am seriously wondering what I was thinking!! My surgery was May 9 2013. I haven't slept and my ROM is lack there of.
Don't worry or panic!!

You are barely out of surgery, the recovery for this operation is measured in weeks and months, not hours and days.

Relax, take it easy, watch some telly, rest, don't do too much. The mantra Judy posted above is Gospel, please take note!

Thank you all for the welcome :) I'm hoping to get on laptop so I can read more today. Is it normal for me to stand and feel like my leg is dead weight and like a band is wrapped around my knee. It's almost a pulling sensation. I forgot to add I have this shrink wrap bandage on covering the entire knee surface along with top of thigh and calf where my sutures are covered. I don't think that helps matters when trying to move. Just super super tight :(

You also mentioned changing title I'm thread? Meaning this thread?
zumbaGirl Yes, that's correct. At the moment it's called "New here, please correct me if I'm posting wrong" and that's not a very informative title! How about "zumbaGirl's knee"?

Did you read all the articles Judy left for you? Because there is a lot of helpful information in them.
I swear when I stand it feels like burning, pulling and someone poured 50lbs of cement in my leg!!
For instance, this tells me you are not taking adequate pain meds.

I have some questions to ask you:
1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
2. how often are you icing your knee?
3. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much exercising?

Is it normal for me to stand and feel like my leg is dead weight and like a band is wrapped around my knee.
100%.

The analogy I use for this recovery is - imagine shifting a pile of 1,000 bricks, one at a time. You labour away for ages and it looks like nothing's happened -- but it has really, and you WILL get them all shifted. It just takes time and patience.

The new title sounds good :) so if you can change it please do so :) thank you.

Hi, I'm new to this forum too, just found it today. My TKR was may 9th as well. I also was expecting too much too fast. Reading guidance on this forum has made me realize I need to relax and listen to my body. I actually set my alarm at night so that there is no break in pain meds. This forum has already been a lifesaver for me, making me realize I am not alone and all that is happening is normal so I am thrilled right now.

1. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
I am taking Percocet 10/325 2 pills every four hours. It's not painful so much when I sit but when I move. I am still reading here

2. how often are you icing your knee?
3. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
I ice all the time and I mean all the time because it feels good and I elevate close to above heart or try to
4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
I'm staying at parents and they are at point where I feel like I'm not doing enough so I've been up and about more. It's very "bend that knee" you gotta move and bend the knee. So on so forth
5. what kind of PT are you doing? How much exercising?[/quote]
I started PT last wed.

I have a shrink wrap type bandage on knee that restricts. I also have to go up and down a flight of steps to use bathroom and I can't sleep cause too much pressure when I lay down on my hip/glute area due to muscle spasm or nerve. So I wake up and go downstairs. I'm about ready to blow a gasket and I stay at home alone. But then again I can't do much. Idk nobody ever really said what to do or not. Just sent me home with a book and told me to do the exercises and I should be at 90 degree bend at one week. I am 65 degrees an it be two weeks this coming Thursday.

Welcome to the forum family! It is great that you have found us!

As others have said, you are still in the "dark days" of TKR recovery. Please consider what has been done to you--the slicing, the sawing, the manipulating, the pounding, the manhandling---and then you were either steri-stripped, stitched, or stapled back up! Your surgical knee has endured a great amount of trauma, so ROM right now will be very difficult to achieve! I would imagine that this surgery that you recently had is quite a bit more invasive than any other knee surgery that yo have had in the past.

Is it normal for me to stand and feel like my leg is dead weight and like a band is wrapped around my knee.
Yep---all perfectly normal---especially since a tourniquet had been applied to your leg during the TKR surgery.

do not expect miracles and speed during this recovery---it can take upwards to a year to feel totally recovered---mine took five months to lose a pesky little limp and eight months before I was 90%-95% as good as new. Patience is the key here.

It looks like you have taken a good look at some of the articles already, but other there on that list are also great and full of excellent information! Please keep coming back and posting any questions or concerns that you may have---we will be here for you and support you and answer any questions or deal with any concerns that you may have!

Hi zumbaGirl. Once you can start reading through some of the threads posted in the post op recovery area you will start to see that all you're experiencing is normal. You will then start to feel at ease. Because there are so many different recoveries, there is always someone who may have experienced something you are experiencing and will be able to reassure you. Once you've read all the very informative information given to you by the Moderator, you'll find you are less anxious. I know it has helped me enormously, and still is. I am 8 weeks post op and still finding answers to things I am experiencing. The Library is a great place to go to. PATIENCE is a very important word here, and it is something most of us have had to dig deep and find. Take care and remember what Bonesmart says "your knee is the BOSS" - it is so true. All the best. Jenny :puppysmooze:

I had several knee surgeries prior to my BTKR---and I guess this is the norm---many of us were used to the arthroscopic surgery and that we would be able to resume a functional lifestyle rather rapidly.

BAM!!! This TKR or BTKR is nothing like what we were used to, and the knee joint is very tight and compact---and it gets incredibly angry after this type of surgery.

I found patience that I did not think that I had---and I am sure that you will do just fine, too. Please keep those questions or concerns coming---hey---we are great at handling rants and vents, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks