Guest viewing is limited

MUA zumbaGirl's knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi zumbagirl How are you doing. We both have an appointment Tuesday and hoping that we both get answers. I have as I have been told by the surgeon and the pt scar tissue. I asked what caused it sometimes you feel like you did something wrong and I was told that I heal fast so I make scar tissue. I read your post that your doctor was considering doing a MUA . Did he explain anything to you about what this would involve. My doctor told me that if the bend didn't improve in the two weeks since my last appointment he would discuss options with me. Not sure what but maybe MUA.My pt says that it is all in my head making this happen myself. I don't agree but this weekend I am going to try to think of it less and just try to get on with things try not to remember this leg is different. :happydance: Today I stepped into the shower took time but tried to do it like before the surgery I was very sore then and the leg moved very stiff and sore. Had my stand up shower only using bathseat to steady if needed to get back out can't wait to be able to have a bath.:yay: Well it went ok. I still do the stairs one at a time using my left to go up and right to come down she wants me to use my right to get up but afraid I will pull the railing off the wall.:umm: Today I am going to go for some walks no pushing the leg and making it tight. Do things that I normally did try to take my mind off the leg and just do it. I have a mental block because just want to drive and think I could have tried short back up and pull in of car. I didn't see any difference between now and when my leg was sstiff and sore before the surgery. :spin: I think once that happens the wish for driving will be a reality and my mind will no longer feel different about my ability and I will just get going. Tired of being told I can't do certain things and then told it is in my head that I can't. Let us know how Tuesday goes and I will let you know how mine went as well. I think I am open for manipulation want to talk and ask questions told by pt I ask too many when I asked why I feel like the bone is coming out of my kneecap. if it works as the pain at pushing my leg back at pt is intense . Have a great day Holly:whistle: :yes: :kittykiss:
 
Hi lavender :) Wow it sounds like we have a similar story here..Yes, I have been told scar tissue but a lot of people here say it's due to over doing.. which I can believe that!! I have been full steam since surgery, per my surgeon and the whole Joint camp recovery process. I have taken some days off and notice a difference. I have not met with my surgeon yet to discuss the MUA, just the PA the other day. He explained what they would do along with my PT. Basically go in with sedation and during a 10 minute procedure they will bascially force the knee to bend.. Kinda freaks me out a tad, but I want to talk to surgeon and see what he says. He explained that it's better to do early on then wait.

I have a small shower, which is good and bad. Barely enough room to turn around, so I don't spend a lot of time in there. I don't have any stairs here other than to get in my apartment and there is only four. I did however stay at my parents for the first month and the bathroom was upstairs. I am still one step at a time, however I can almost get my leg up to do alternating but it's pushing it as my knee won't bend. I am and have been driving around 3-1/2 weeks I think. I have an SUV so easy to get in and my seats are power so makes it pretty easy.

I can totally relate to being told it's all in your head. For a month all I heard was "bend that knee" What people didn't understand was that I was TRYING to bend it and if I could I would. I sat in the rocker chair and rocked gently back and forth, I used a skateboard, "tip from here" and gently glided back and forth on that. I will say however, I started PT a week after surgery not even. It was and is quite intense. The intense part being the flexion/extension part. My surgeon wanted a ROM of 90 degrees one week post op.. I seriously laughed about that because I certainly wasn't getting to that a week out. I have had a problem with every single knee surgery I've had.. with scar tissue issues, ROM etc. It never goes as I think. I have been told to push through and that it's going to hurt but if I don't bend it, it will lock up. well I have mixed feelings on this because I have read here several different stories where people have used the less intense approach and have recovered astoundingly. I have also seen patients go through PT where I go and recover the same way. I am a worrier, and always asking questions because I am so aware, actually overly obsessive aware of my body. I notice EVERYTHING.. my veins bulge, especially in my left leg where I just had the TKR, I feel every little twinge,prick etc.. the latest one is the painful needle like poking in my leg which I have since found out it's my sutures that haven't dissolved yet and sometimes you can feel them and they start to poke.. that can last and hurt up to six months.. SUPER DUPER!!!!

I ask all the time or tell them that if they push one more time my knee is going to snap in half and they assure me it's not. I still go to PT 3 days a week and after the MUA I will have to go the following day.. However, I have learned to say no.. It's my body and I don't want to be pushed over the edge so to speak, yet I want to recover like yesterday lol.. I laugh because I know this is a slow process.. A painful one, one that requires a lot of hard work and dedication and most of all an open mind. I am horrible with that because it's driving me nuts to sit still.

I hope your appt goes well Tuesday and will be looking for updates.. going to find your recovery thread now.. have a wonderful day :)
 
Can someone tell me if all my questions I have go here or do you start a new thread for that? Like yesterday I had a quick question about this feeling I got all of a sudden. I didn't know if I should put here or start new.. any event nobody answered but I found out what it was at least... just wondered on the posting.. i will go read the FAQ in meantime as I haven't been able to check everything out on my lovely smartphone.. so please excuse all my mixups lol Thank you
 
:angel: Hi Zumbagirl :) I just write down things as they come to me Josephine has asked that we keep it all in our own under the same thread title. I think there are a a very large amount of people using this site so sometime you don't get a reply right away. Usually someone comes along with advice to help and often answer more then one post you have placed. :whistle: In the hospital my pt was very calm simply walking from bed to hall and back sitting in a chair and the day that I came home I had an exray and was shown how to do 3 stairs up and three down. No one pushed they allowed me the time to rest and made it as comfortable as they could the pt started the day after I came home. I have 14 stairs up and down at home with a landing at the top and bottom. I am finding that the sensations in my operated leg are not bothering me as much. Wow it must be nice to be driving. I think I would be just fine we have a suv a Rav and getting in and out is really easy. I have sat in and tried to see how:yes!: I feel and don't see any reason I can't drive but won't be covered by insurance if doctor hasn't approved I am asking him this Tuesday maybe one more step to feeling normal :ok: Everyday brings a little more improvement just sitting with my husband today and he was remarking on all of the things that I do that were so difficult not too long ago. Each day a little closer. Have a great day Holly :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Sorry I haven't been on in a while Zumbagirl and Holly, but let me say this again! You are both dealing with PT's that have done aggressive therapy! Scar tissue is a slim possibility. Most likely it is internal swelling. I never would have agreed to an MUA so early in recovery, and I don't know where someone heard you could break a bone. Crazy stuff I tell both of you! What will happen is, you doctor will proudly proclaim that he was able to get 12o/0 while you were under!

What he fails to tell you is when he trained in orthopedics, he was also able to get 129/0 on cadavers they practiced on! :sick: :rotfl:
 
Oh I am not disagreeing with anyone here by any means.. I am simply frustrated.. This knee hasn't bent right from the get go and maybe it's just me.. everyone heals different. My friend who had surgery same day is at 128.. all different bodies/recoveries. The bone breaking is just a risk, meaning the longer you wait the more it increases the chance of breaking the femur..What they are afraid of is waiting too long to do the MUA.. I don't know I am at a loss and at my wits end.. My little girl said yesterday that she wanted her old mommy back. The mommy that played with her and not lounged on the couch, the momma that did slip and slide with her and hearing that and what she said when I told her my other knee is shot makes me, well I know I made the wrong choice. I never would have done this had I known I would have so much trouble.. I've been dealing with this suture issue all weekend which hurts along with going down the stairs wrong yesterday and the pain was crazy.. I took pictures on my iphone and I know I posted one before from that and I tried this am and I can't get it to post from my phone.. i wanted to show you what my knees look like. My left one is literally stuck and all I've been doing is my gentle exercises and sitting on the dang couch all weekend..
 
Hi Zumba girl I agree with rest assured we are sore because they insist on the need for a quick recovery. My mother went through two knee replacements. The first came after she broke a bone just a bit below hew knee had to have a cast stayed in rehab 3 months. When ilt came time to replace her knee the doctor told her that they had to do adjustments as the bone was not right not sure how but they had to do the first knee different then the second. She came home to their house and soon after my Dad was placed in the hospital had a stroke all the stress. She then had to leave the house and have the first knee replaced and my Dad was placed in a nursing home she couldn't take care of things. My Mom then came home and my Dad came home a little later. Returned home to realize they had a leak and mold left their home again Dad had a stroke and Mom could still not walk. At this time the company that I worked for 37 years was sold and my husband and I were out of work this allowed time to help them and make sure they had what they needed. Now they were moved again to a retirement home to wait for their house. My Dad just wanted to go home lived there for 55 years and once again had another stroke. He was placed in a home 1 hour away none available in our city. 5 months of driving us and my mom to see him and then two weeks before my surgery he died of kidney failure and heart everything just shut down. I have thought of him pretty well everyday he walked amazing till he died . During this healing process can't get him out of my mind . My Mom refused pt the second knee around she simply lived in their home we got her out for appointments and groceries etc but no pt. She is now 4 months both legs bend great she gardens and goes up and down stairs laundry we did it at first but now she wants to be more independant. She had lots of pain but never worried about her bend came pretty soon and she said to me don't let them hurt you the bend will come. Your daughter will be ok I know how you feel my husband and I used to get out and go to the park, had a nice place that we use to go to for breakfast in a town nearby and to the movies. He is so supportive and says it doesn't matter it will come but I also feel that I am holding things up I am the driver and he says he is enjoying doing the errands and stuff but feel that I want to help. Your daughter is lucky to have you and you her but if all goes well and I know it will she will have you backdoing these things again and all will be well. Wishing you the best Holly :friends:
 
Where does the idea come from that the femur will break if they wait too long for an MUA? When you go to your OS, ask about his % of MUA's and how far after surgery he normally waits. I understand that your little girl wants her Mommy back, but right now, be sure that getting an MUA will be the answer.

I find it very interesting that the UK hardly ever reports an MUA, but some US doctors are crazy about them!

I am not in your shoes, but I am dealing with a kneecap issue that I am working on. It has been over a year and I was told it would take that long! Do you think I would go back to surgery if I could avoid it? Nope! I may end up having a scope done but that's it hopefully.

We all have tough decisions facing us, but let me say this, "I would NEVER go back to my pre surgery days even if I knew what I know now!" I walked a mile and a half up hills today with other grad students and felt great! :happydance:

Zumbagirl, you will know, you will have a gut feeling as the OS is talking as to whether the MUA will help or not. Listen to your self. It knows YOUR body better than anyone else! :)
 
I find it very interesting that the UK hardly ever reports an MUA, but some US doctors are crazy about them!

Sonja, my (French) surgeon says he doesn't believe in them, except for in the most extreme circumstances, and can't remember the last time he did a MUA.

I can't believe that French knees are so different to US ones and yet, such a difference in protocols.

(I asked him why he thought they were so readily done in the US and he snorted and said 'money', and that he thought it also reflected the expectations of US patients who want fast results from medical interventions. Please understand, I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just passing on his opinion...)

Sue in sunny Aix en Issart
 
Oh, I don't doubt there are some greedy doctors here who are knife happy. Met a couple, with different problem, and left as fast as possible. These surgeons "promise" a quick fix, with an MUA, and there have been a few occasions where it helped. These people had problems for over a year though. That's why I am skeptical :skep: about any OS who mentions MUA (especially if the patient has gone through grueling rehab), which makes the knee angry and inflamed!

Ultimately though, the PATIENT can say "NO"! It is their body and their right to be treated like they want and need to be treated. :beg:
 
Hi Zumbagirl :kittykiss: Did you see your doctor and hope it went well. I was just thinking today and wondered how you made out with your visit .I was wondering what the doctor would say today what were the optiions he was going to discuss with me. It was a pleasant experience as he had a talk with me and said that one option would be and he explained about the mua and how it would still posible make things worse. but the next option was lets just let your leg calm down rest walk only for your excersize and the end result will be a happier legmay take a bit longer but worth the wait just the same as the bonesmart people keep telling us. He gave me the choice but seemed relieved when:) I chose the gentle be kind to the knee option and no more pt maybe just go for massages on the leg and after three weeks probably the result will be less swollen and less stiff we are going to talk again in three weeks . He was really nice and it was the first time we really had a chance to talk he seemed to really care and understood said that some people get it right away and sometime you have to wait said that in alot of ways i was ahead of schedule and told me that i was still in the early stages.:iagree: I left very relieved doesn't seem to believe in forcing the bend and told me the downfalls of mua. :yes!: :thankyou: I hope you are being treated gently to and that your doctor believes that you need to give it time he told me as they say here that the bend will come just takes time but will come. Probably quicker if less pushed and pulled . Hope you are ok Holly:) :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
I am so glad your appt went well!!! That's great news:) I will write more when I get on laptop as I'm on my iPhone and its locking up when I type. I am having the MUA TOMORROW am!! He said its better to do early than wait and believes the outcome will be good. Much different approach than yours. I have more to write and I will in a few hours when I am up.
 
I am so glad your appt went well!!! That's great news:) I will write more when I get on laptop as I'm on my iPhone and its locking up when I type. I am having the MUA TOMORROW am!! He said its better to do early than wait and believes the outcome will be good. Much different approach than yours. I have more to write and I will in a few hours when I am up.

I wish you much success, and I hope it brings you the results you are hoping for! Everyone is different, and I pray that you will be one of those who does great after having the MUA.
 
Hi everyone.. Ok a little bit about yesterday.. My appt was at 1140am but I was there almost an hour early due to my daughters appt going quicker than expected. I don't think I got in till 1230, so the sitting and waiting was the worst with the knee not being able to bend fully. I ran into a lady who had BTKR done two weeks prior to my LTKR.. I happened to glance up and recognized her zipping along the waiting area, heading to xray. So I told my mom I was going to talk to her. Boy was I amazed! She goes to a different PT about an hour away since she lives there. They have a 93 degree pool at this place! Anyway, her flexion is about 128 and extension is near perfect. She is doing amazing! She told me a bit about how they go at it with her and it's pretty much the same except I don't have a pool, but that is gonna change because I am joining the local hotel gym where I can access that! One of the main differences in her recovery and mine is, she had a coach with her the ENTIRE time. They recommend that here so you will stay focused. I went to my parents after surgery and thank god I did because I wouldn't have been able to get around and take care of my daughter without them. However, with over a 100 plus friends on FB, I couldn't find one person to be my "coach". My parents did what they could but when it came to the exercises and needing help with a few of them, it was just me. There was a few I couldn't do in the start and my surgeon thinks that played a part in this because I wasn't keeping the knee loose but more so the fact that given my previous surgeries and the healing process, I have a tendency to scar heavy. He measured my extension and flexion. If I remember right he said my extension was a 5? I can't touch the table yet with back of knee but at PT we can get it there after stretching. The flexion was iffy and I can't remember the number but somewhere between 80-90, but it is locked right tight. I mentioned the stitch that I can feel and he said that is normal and will hurt but eventually dissolve and go away. So he then mentions the benefit of the MUA and I flat out asked him, and I mentioned this board, are you sure this is scar tissue and it's not just all riled up in there? Am I going at it too hard in PT? He said usually the ones that come back for this are people that just heal differently and scar heavy and that he is confident once he does this I will have better ROM but I need to be consistent with PT and keep the knee moving, yet make sure I am resting and icing. He agrees the pool would benefit me as well. I contacted my PT and along with the surgeons recommendation, I will be going now 5 days a week. Mainly to keep the knee loose and moving and do gentle stretches and massage.

Back to the lady with the BTKR I ran into, her husband was with her every step of the way coaching her on and helping her. She gave me her name, as I did mine and we found each other on FB. She said she is going to remind me to do my exercises at home 3 times a day and push me via FB. I am not going to push myself over the edge with this and get it all flared up, but I am going to be more diligent with my exercises. I have done all I can do, and I am not having this done as a quick fix, I am putting my Faith in my surgeon in the aspect that he knows what he is talking about, or at least I pray he does :/

My pain medicine really isn't doing much anymore because I have been taking it for so long. I only have a few left and I think I am going to try to just take 2 tylenol along with a muscle relaxer.It really doesn't bother me when I am sitting around or even on it, it's more so when I am doing the exercises, for obvious reasons.

I just want you all to know that I thank those of you who have continually supported me and been here to answer my questions. On that note, I will roll on out of my place around 550 am and my mom is going to take me and I will stay at their place tonight as I am supposed to have someone with me after the MUA. I'd much rather come home and be on one level but with the sedation, they prefer me to be with someone. I will go to PT tomorrow afternoon. Thank you everyone again..

Could someone also let me know if I should keep my MUA update in here or if I need to start a new thread for the MUA?
 
Zumbagirl, sounds like you have been through the wringer! I am a week behind you as far as time and have had my share of pain and depression but I have listened to everyone here and am taking it easy now. I did way too much at first and got myself in a lot of pain at 5 weeks out. I have been resting and medicating by the clock, elevating and icing. I have been able to see improvement as far as the pain. I am 6 weeks today and am seeing improvement everyday! Sounds to me like you need to quit PT all together and rest. I could have never done anything under the stress you have been going through. I was very lucky as I have exercised all my life and was released from therapy before 4 weeks but that didn't mean I could do anything I wanted. Please take it easy on yourself. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. I hope your MUA goes well and helps with your problems. Let us know how it goes. Good luck :angel:
 
Well, since I hadn't heard whether to update here or a new thread on my MUA, I will update here. If it needs moved, please do so :) I arrived at 620am at the ASU and checked in and by 7 I was called back to begin the process. One of the nurses gave me my gown to change into and turned on my warming blanket. She didn't have my chart as of yet so she was writing everything down in her notebook. Anesthesia came back and started asking a million questions as usual and had my mother all confused as they were calling it general anesthesia even though I would not have a breathing tube. Anyhoo, got that all figured out and he explained what they would be doing. Meanwhile, the NA came in and started my IV which made me nervous as he was having a hard time finding a vein. Why, I have no idea because usually it's in first try. Once he got it in, it wasn't really holding, so he taped it all up and had to apply pressure to get the drip to work. THAT made me feel real comfortable. I told him it better be in there good enough so when they give me my la la medicine it works, cause I DON'T wanna hear, see or feel a thing lol. Meantime, Nurse 2 came in asking the same questions as nurse 1. I said, I have already been through this and as she was starting to give me attitude, Nurse 1 came in and explained my chart wasn't ready so she had already done all that and had it in her notepad ready to transfer. Long story short, chart showed up and all was documented. WHEWWW. At around 7:45 my surgeon popped in, to check his autograph he left the day before on my left knee and within seconds, the NA was giving me my little dose of versed to be wheeled in OR. It wasn't really hitting me just yet but assured me it would soon. I got in OR and was still quite alert so they gave me a little more, asked some questions and then told me to get ready to go on vacation lol. By 810am I was in recovery. It literally felt like someone had taken a baseball bat and struck my quad about a million times. I was given dilaudid via IV and then another dose shortly after. Vitals were checked and they gave me something to drink and a few crackers and switched me to oral meds. Two percocets later, I was ready to go home.

Here is where it gets crazy... NORMALLY, the surgeon calls out to the waiting area and speaks to the person that is with you that day. My mom never got a phone call. She knew I was in the OR by the screen that has my number showing and also that I was out of OR and in recovery. She asked the nurse at the desk if she was going to get a call and that she hadn't heard so the nurse called back. Still no call, and I am still wondering where the world my mother is..The nurse tells me to go ahead and get dressed as she is rattling off god knows what because I am still looped up. I still don't know what all she told me. Now that I am dressed, they get me in a wheelchair, I can barely stand at this point and wheel me down the hallway where I FINALLY see my mother coming out of the waiting room. NOBODY ever called her. Usually the surgeon will call out and tell them how surgery went, what they were able to get range of motion on table etc.. Nothing.. Nope, Not a dang thing. A nurse wheeled me in elevator down to the bottom where my mom would pick me up. I could barely get in the car let alone think about staying at their house and going up stairs all day to use the bathroom. However, I needed someone to stay with me that day. My ex husband came to the rescue and met me at my apartment. I could barely get from the car to the doorstep let alone up the stairs. I came in and immediately applied heat to the quad. He offered to take me to his place where I would be on one level and he would be able to watch me. I actually felt ok, as in I was able to eat etc.. I had to walk with a cane for a few hours and then I managed to get a nap in. By 6pm his kids wanted to get out of the house, so he took me home where I stayed alone. I pretty much vegged on the couch that night, or maybe the bed, I can't remember. Anyway, I remember getting up thinking what in the world did they do to me. They didn't send me home with pain meds and I was about to run out. So I called and they wouldn't write anymore and I had to go through family doctor. I also asked why nobody talked to my mother as I had no idea what went on and what they got for ROM. I later found out he got 135 for flexion and also manipulated to extend. I was supposed to go to PT the following day but they told me to stay home and rest that day. I did go the next day just for massage and was able to get 101 for flexion. I will go today for PT. I actually had to call my PT to find out what to do as the nurse never told me when I left.

What a wild ride this has been and had I known this is what it was going to be like I would have kept my old torn knee. I am wide awake now at 210am EST because of my knee pain. Not to mention I came up the step wrong yesterday with wrong foot and hit my toe and pulled my knee and quad. PT today at 330p and looking forward to some massage and stretching. I can say that I can bend it a lot better and don't have that tight band feeling anymore. Obviously major quad pain but I guess they busted up quite a bit of scarring from what the nurse said when she called me back. I think I am sore right now from my incident on the stairs yesterday along with the MUA. I will update more today after PT. Lets hope this was the ticket to getting it to move!!!!!!
 
Also, Anyone??? Will my knee every look even remotely like my other one? I mean my right knee looks well normal and my left well, ya know, not so normal. trying to figure out how to take a dang picture and post here
 
[Bonesmart.org] zumbaGirl's knee
zumbaGirl, yes, eventually it will look pretty much like your other one. Just keep in mind that they were never really exactly alike.
 
Thank you and love the pic!! I can't upload from my phone for some reason but trying to get some on my camera. I'm a tad OCD about things and notice every little difference in things lol. I have to remember I am only shy of two months out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom