Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharon,

I know what you mean about eating...

But on the exercise side of things, I think most of the time we stop some number of minutes before doing too much. Maybe it's 2, maybe it's 15, perhaps it is just 10 seconds before some part would've screamed. But occassionally we step over the line (and hopefully not too often)....and then we are recovering.

So i guess the lesson is to listen to our bodies and to remember exactly what it was starting to feel like JUST BEFORE that muscle or tendon or whatever went SPROING!!! I guess that is what we mean when we say listen to your body. Listen to it when it is going well, so we know what "well" feels like and we can do that again. But also to tune into what overdoing it looks like too...so we can avoid that.

As I "jog", skip and hop around my backyard I'm just listening for clues as to what is working and what isn't....and hope I am perceptive enough to hear the signals....

Z
 
Mmmmm! Back on the discussion about eating.. My favorite topic, like I said I think I was born lazy Z!
 
Haha, sandy you are right :th_heehee: though with friends arriving from out of town, I did want to be smart, so I did stop even though I felt I could do more. Went a little over 6 miles Z, with no issues. Do I need to even say just how happy that made me? :dancy:
 
Hey guy, what's shaking with you? Geez, after getting locked out if the site for a bunch of days and now having it feel a bit cumbersome, I feel like I am a bit behind. Just checking in to make sure that little thing that happened that made you walk the last mile hm the other day did not turn into something. Cathy
 
Yep Z, where are you buddy... we need an update.. a lot of our regulars, yourself and Charlie have not posted.. we miss you!
 
Sandy...2 long updates entered....and Bonesmart locked up b4 i submitted... :shocked::tantrum:

I will try to post later...
 
Z - when you login click the stay on-line or remember me box. Sometimes the systems sees what it thinks is no activity and logs you out. OR type your longer posts in Word or Notepad and then cut and paste.
 
Jacey,

Thanks...i do those things. the lockup both times seemed to occur after I pasted a link from another website that I had cut from an email.

I'll see if i can duplicate it...

Z
 
UGH, I hate that when that happens, it happens to me ALL the time :gaah: for my long posts I have been creating them off the site and cutting and pasting in. Look forward to your updates , cathy
 
Please do see if you can duplicate the error and then report it in the Office/Admin, Bugs and errors area. I was hoping our new format would remedy this. :gaah:
 
There is still a LOT to be sorted - pages and pages of it! We have several coders working on this full time. Lord only knows when it will all be done.:shrug:
 
Just another thing we have to be PATIENT about in BoneSmart land. We ought to have that down pat by now.:whistle:
 
I'm going to cut and paste judiciously this time to be sure this can make it to the board!... :whistle:

I actually think about my new hip fairly rarely...and other body parts quite a lot. I'm (picking this next word cautiously) disappointed that I have this great new hip that I can't fully enjoy at the moment. VERY LITTLE has changed in the last few months.

Hip good
Other parts (muscles and tendons) not great


I'm working on things and would contend that parts seem to be getting "closer to good", but I cannot know how much closer until I am there. I am also wondering if my stationary bike and rowing machine help to compromise my hamstrings by strengthening quads while doing VERY little for hamstrings...

I am going to try to do another post after this about Ibuprofen and some interesting studies I came across.

Z
 
Here is the Ibuprofen post that I promised...


We all know that we should only take Ibuprofen when we need it...and I would contend that for lots of years, most days I've needed it. But then I heard that constant use of Ibuprofen for sore muscles (not injured or bruised muscles) may be counterproductive. This study claims that althought it may make you feel better it can slow the recovery and lessen the positive impact of workouts. At the moment I am trying not to take Ibuprofen for my daily aches and pains, but rather only when I have an injury of sorts. Interesting?


Z

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

" Moreover, Warden and other researchers have found that, in laboratory experiments on animal tissues, NSAIDs actually slowed the healing of injured muscles, tendons, ligament, and bones. “NSAIDs work by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins,”substances that are involved in pain and also in the creation of collagen, Warden says. Collagen is the building block of most tissues. So fewer prostaglandins mean less collagen, “which inhibits the healing of tissue and bone injuries,” Warden says, including the micro-tears and other trauma to muscles and tissues that can occur after any strenuous workout or race.

The painkillers also blunt the body’s response to exercise at a deeper level. Normally, the stresses of exercise activate a particular molecular pathway that increases collagen, and leads, eventually, to creating denser bones and stronger tissues. If “you’re taking ibuprofen before every workout, you lessen this training response,” Warden says. Your bones don’t thicken and your tissues don’t strengthen as they should. They may be less able to withstand the next workout. In essence, the pills athletes take to reduce the chances that they’ll feel sore may increase the odds that they’ll wind up injured — and sore. "
 
Z, good ,to hear from you. Very interesting about the ibuprofen. Going to pass that one on to my partner who is into "evidence based medicine" and see what kind of evidence is out there on this. I will let you know.

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed, and I can understand why. Wish the docs ( not that it would change whether we had surgery or not) gave us the heads up on how much the rest of the body needs to and will adjust during our recovery. Glad to know you don't think about the hip much. I am still thinking about mine, but I must say, it certainly is not always in the forefront of things.

My quads did all the work when I did that bike ride last week and suffered the spasms. It did not feel like they were, but my PT said they were cuz glutes were weak, and maybe in your case they are cuz of hammys. It is a tough thing though, to think about having to stop an activity once you have it anchored in like you have. Can you do a small test, laying off for a short time and see? I am sure you have tried the gamut of things already.

I feel for you. You are so motivated, seems like that body of yours should cut you some slack. Hang in there my man, and hopefully, all of a sudden you will be surprised and something WILL change. -cathy
 
Hi Z,
Very interesting article. A friend had told me something like that a long time ago. I just looked at your surgery date and you are only about 6 months out. I'm sure you remember hearing somewhere along the line that full recovery can take a year or more! I am not an athlete but with both THRs it has been at least 7 months until I started feeling anything normal.

Do you know what is causing your pain...delayed onset, inflammation, etc. I take a product called hydraplenish by natures way. It is condroitin with collagen and brings fluid into the joints. I don't like to take any meds at all and have had great success with this.

Also, being 7 months out I now only "turn corners" for the positive infrequently. No more dramatic feelings, so you know the "P" word. Patience my dear. So glad to hear from you, please keep us posted.
 
Hi Z - this issue about NSAIDs and healing is the reason some surgeons ask their patients to go off their NSAIDs pre-op and stay off them for 6 weeks. I'm tagging Jo for her comment. Josephine;
 
Thanks Jaycey and Z. That is VERY interesting and will go into the library. I know there's been some opinion in medical circles about ibuprofen being counter-productive to the recovery of uncemented THRs because it inhibits bone growth. That seems to be in keeping with the information you've posted. Thank you very much.
 
Hi Z,
Glad to hear that your hip is feeling good.
Adaptation takes a long time, doesn't it...
I have found the first year to be a filled with a lot of experimenting and learning a whole "new" body.

Take care & keep moving forward,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom