Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some months of less than stellar progress....a minor milestone.

And I don't even know what the milestone is....running further than I had before without hurting myself? Doesn't really sound all the worthy of being engraved on a plaque...

It was hot yesterday (and I love running in the heat) and I thot that the heat would make it a bit more difficult to to SPROING:yikes: any muscles...so I set out. I've been pretty good about not rushing things.

After a mile I felt good...ZERO SPROING's:yikes: so I decided to see if I could do a 5k before hitting my 5 month mark (SPOILER ALERT: I did not do a 5k before hitting my 5 month mark)

Long story short...I had a lovely run but in the heat (and wearing a hat to lessen my SEETHING HATRED OF THE OPNIPRESENT AND ANNOYING DEER FLIES :hissy:) I found myself starting to overheat and actually had the presence of mind to stop at something like 4.4K.

A bit disappointed, but it was optimistic to begin with given that I had not run 2 miles in a couple months...

Today I am sore ... but the good kind of sore. The kind of sore after you get some exercise and not the kind that is cuased by failing joints or invasive surgery.

And, to make this more BS relevant, no hip problems at all.

Note to all...this was exclusively on woodland trails.

Have a grand rest of your weekends!


Z
 
Wow John! Great update! So happy you are getting back to all that activity - but thank goodness you stopped when you needed to. We are getting stories here about your heat wave. Please do be careful. Happy trails!
 
Wow, great job and so glad to hear no pain at all in the joints :happydance: I'm amazed at your endurance in this weather! It's steaming here in New Jersey, even along the coast. Keep up the wonderful work.
Dee
 
Great job John! It's inspiring to hear about your run. I'm glad to hear it went so well (san flies) and that your hip made it through the run with no problems. :yes!:
 
Hiya John

What a fabulous achievement and another great milestone under your belt.

I am in awe of you as I have said before, you make me feel positively lazy!

Do keep coming back you are one of the up and coming success stories and I love it when someone around my time posts... It feels like family coming back :)
 
Fantastico :happydance:

Ok, trying to show me up are you? ... and actually stopping before you went too far :heehee: just kidding, but kudos for stopping. So glad all you feel is that good excercise pain. I can't wait to feel that again. I, too, hope you continue to post. You are in inspiration in more ways than one.

Really good news and really happy for you - truly I am, and one more thing, I think you COULD have a plaque with "running further than I had before without hurting myself" -c'mon my man, it is an accomplishment to do that, and i know it --Cathy
 
Thanks all...your support is appreciated. :yes!:

And special note to Cathy....this is a small world...


My father in law (85) who lives in Williston Vt, fell and broke his "hip" last Thursday and had the top of his femur replaced at Fletcher Allen Hosp in Burlington!

His recovery will be challenging as his mobility was very limited before and he is not showing a lot of signs of motivation to work on this... :sorry: His kids know how important it is to be doing what he can, but he seems more interested in watching the golf on TV.

He has been warned that if he doesn't make an effort and do as much as he can that he may not remain in the part of the population referred to as "walkers" .

anyway...small world

Z
 
Small world it sure is! Was just passing Fletcher Allen yesterday with my out of town guests saying " that's where I got my new hip" .

Hope he turns off the t.v. soon and heeds the warnings.
 
I sure hope you F-I-L heals up well and gets on his feet soon! Though I suspect at his age healing is going to be a slower process. Maybe a very localized power outage should be arranged - if the TV is not available he might get motivated to be up and around ;)
 
John,
I was just looking at your videos yesterday and was so inspired by what you could do early on. I am so glad you posted them and it gave me the confidence to try walking wihtou my cane (even though I did not have your very interesting surgery style). Yes, OF COURSE, I know we are all different and I do listen to my body, but seeing you walking so well made me think, "Well, I have no pain; doc said 50-50; suggested a cane "because I am a woman" (not sexist comment; I think he was referring to bone hardness), so try." I can do it!
Congrats on your latest accomplishments with the running...wow...and on TRAILS! WOW!
Elle
 
Thanks Elle. I, like you, had those moments early on when I felt like some "precautions" were only making my life harder. If I had a restriction I would follow it, but those things which were less defined I would give a go and found that some were just easier (like losing the crutches). i *DID* continue to take the crutches on longer walks as they helped me ensure that my stride/form was ok.

And btw...i mention only running on TRAILS because they are much cushier than asphalt or concrete.

And final status update in my first 6 months...I finished a slow but satisfying 5K run today. Actually, I guess I need to be honest and call it a "jog". :SUNsmile: It may've been slow...and it may've taken all I had to do it...but it's a start.

Happy 4th of July to those who celebrate it and have a nice July 4th to the rest of you!:dancy:
 
It may have been slow...and it may've taken all you had to do it, BUT...You did it!!!! Good for you, Z. Great news and a happy 4th to you as well.
 
FANTASTIC NEWS ON THE 5K :dancy: last one you tried was an "almost" and now you've got one under your belt. I am happy for you. I bet it felt good emotionally. Btw, on the 4th, I got my 1st kayak outing under my belt :egypdance: Felt like a million bucks, even if I needed a little help out haha. Really a giant congrats to you, Cathy

P.s. hope dad in law is doing ok
 
Z, I am burning up calories just thinking about you running in this oppressive heat. Not sure where in the US you are, but our temps in Michigan have been topping 100 this week. So thank you....I expect to see positive results on the scale as a result of your sacrifice. :)

Sharon
 
Go Z

That is fantastic.. Slow and steady has certainly won your race.. Now there will be no catching you :)
 
I've noticed your replies in the threads, but never read "your story." WOW. And, your surgery, and the youtube link.... fascinating.

I'm not a runner, but a serious walker at a fast pace. We have a bridge here in Sarasota (The Ringling Bridge - yes, those Ringling's) that has such a wonderful incline/decline design to it, that it is PERFECT for heartrate and toning in addition to Pilates that I love; the bridge is one mile exactly one way - before my "pull", I was walking it at 5AM every morning four times in less than an hour.... felt SO good. Then the "pull" in 2010... I really resented this due to being at that time only turning 50.

Never was a runner like yourself, but how good it feels to be moving, doesn't it? I still can't believe I went the last two years in only increasing pain. I remember the first diagnosis; doctor said: "exercise is not your friend"..... BUMMER, but he was right. It just got worse and worse.

So, continued success to you. You are so kind in your posts to the BS group. I feel so grateful to have found this site through Google one night "researching" the spasms I was having. I am FOREVER grateful to JO and everyone who reached out; I needed the advice, and the emotional support that this site has provided.

Best,

Alicia
 
yes, I agree that Z is a super contributor to the board. I love that he figures out a way to get things he wants to do, done. Pretty cool.

Keep up the great work and congratulations on your run!

Dorothy
 
Thanks folks...we all help each other whatever way we can. I realize my go to place is to offer suggestions moreso than a shoulder to lean on...and I need to be aware of that. Not everyone wants suggestions everytime.

I am off for a run EARLY today. It's supposed to be in the 96-98 range...and that is TOO hot for my current fitness level..

Have great days,

Z

Hey...While I have you here...if anyone knows NEWFOUNDLAND (and places like Gros Morne) please let me know...I hope to head there next month and info is not as easy to find as i'd line...
 
I am intrigued by the fact that you are running. I've quickly read through most of your thread, so if I missed this part, I apologize. Can you share more about reason why you are able to do so--technique, new train of thought on the surgeon's part, etc? My OS has said that my implant would make it possible for me to run, but if I choose to do so I will likely diminish its life expectancy by several years. Some of his caution might be that I carry some extra weight and I was never an "efficient" runner. I've found myself wondering "What if I finally dropped the extra pounds...would I at least be able to do a 5k?" And, I miss trail running. No worries that I will take what you say and decide to go for a jog. I plan to follow my surgeon's instructions to the letter. I'm probably going to walk a half-marathon with a friend in January. The OS has cleared me to do so. It won't be the same as running it, but it will be a victory nonetheless. Just like tying my own shoes yesterday--while they were on my feet--was a victory! Continued good luck with your recovery and thank you for posting updates. Peace, Linda.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom