Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy,

Too much abuse while I was having fun. It was the sports kind of abuse which I would not change if I had the chance.

And I agree with JD. I am going to make age drag me kicking and screaming into its clutches. I'm going to really make a scene... :thumb:

Z
 
Glad you had a good trip, sorry about the nagging hammy. Though in the middle of recovery and not feeling all that vital, I, too, will not lay down and let old age take me. You are an inspiration to me, really you are. I always say to my family doc, " I am really healthy, but structurally I have a few issues" . Good to have you back. -cathy
 
Am in the same boat---new hip GREAT, other things are the next challenge! Danced Saturday night after a few weeks off with my brother's arrangements, and was delighted at how 'no issues' the new hip is, but focus definitely shifted onto the next-in-line hip issues! Was glad when over because of the old hip, not the new! Progress. We will be ROBOTONS---
Seriously Z, consider partner dance, it's aerobic and gliding, and won't hammer new parts. Male leads that are fun and polite are like gold on the dance scene. I tell my grandsons that if they are comfortable dancing and can show the girl a good time on the dance floor, women will be LINED UP wanting to dance with them. It's true.
 
Carol,

And although i appreciate your insights, your suggesting dancing to me might be like me suggesting trail running or soccer to you (maybe..and then again you might be AWESOME at both!!!). Dancing is very much not my thing (due in large part to a complete lack of ability) but I do respect and appreciate all the dancers on BS. Those who do it well make it look fun and effortless.

And the whole notion of lined up women sounds lovely....my wife (who would've appreciated me being a dancer) MIGHT think otherwise.... I think I would be fine at the POLITE part, not as sure about the FUN.

You keep up the good work on dancing and get us a video of how it should be done!

Thanks,

Z
 
my ever growing bucket list...

No 1 = cross country sking this winter... I am ready!
 
Hi Z,

Great to hear that your Colorado trip went well and hope you got some helpful suggestions on the hamstring!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Guess you push your self to the limits
 
Hey Mike, good to hear from you @Mikeb:

I can imagine that you were quite an elite athelete in your earlier years Z?
 
Hi Z! Hey, I missed your trip to Colorado! Where did you go? Were you hiking all day long? Man, you continue to be my inspiration. Whenever I think 'oh I can't be bothered to do those exercises', I have a vision of you in your living room in the early days after your op, walking tall, or doing those star jumps out on your icy driveway, and I think 'he didn't get like that without working at it. Come on Jane, just do it!' and it works. So thanks!
 
Jane,

It was a work trip to the Denver, Boulder area....and other than hitting some very nice micro breweries after work, it was just work. Plus, I was trying to be good about resting my hamstring and that actually worked surprisingly poorly with a couple cases where just walking around led to what i call "zingers". This is where you are doing something and go "YOW...who just stabbed me in the back of the leg with a fork?!?"

And Sandy...I played soccer in college for a Div III nationally ranked team...and plenty of soccer since, but far from elite. I'll admit (don't tell Charlie) I was a better athlete than soccer player. I used the fact that I was quick and could run all day to my advantage on the field. The fact that i LOVE TO RUN made it easy for me to invest lots of time in training.

At this point any quick movement is weeks away as I nurse a sore leg. I won't be surprised if this becomes a recurring process. And here is the thing that few friends or family understand. My working out/conditioning in HOPES of being able to run is a motivator to stay active as much as I can. But i will not be shocked if I am out of commission (running wise) as frequently as I am able bodied. But given that I have yet to find other things I like as much, it is too deflating to admit I am done.

Like I said....I am not going to allow aging to get me without a fight. And if history holds true for me "that fight" will involve a fair number of wounds, injuries and time being patched up.... :wink1:

Z
 
Jane,
This is where you are doing something and go "YOW...who just stabbed me in the back of the leg with a fork?!?"


Like I said....I am not going to allow aging to get me without a fight. And if history holds true for me "that fight" will involve a fair number of wounds, injuries and time being patched up.... :wink1:

Z
Boy I agree with you on the zingers.
My zingers are in my knee, not a joint issue but apparently caused by the IT Band. Feels just like I pounded a flat blade screwdriver into the left side of my knee joint and twisted.
Getting MUCH better now with ITBand stretching.:yes 4:

Yup, gotta keep on top of all the aging issues or they will quickly overwhelm you. PT is your friend.
 
Hi JZ

Good post!! ... and yes I did read the Soccer part!

My aim is to grow older DIS - GRACEFULLY!! .... which I am managing to do very nicely!:loll:
Hope your recalcitrant ham continues to heal....

ATB

C
 
I am going to become eccentric as I get older, CC... oh whoops, I think I am already there Heheheh!
 
you seem to be doing very well except for your other few injuries which you will continue to get with all the activities you do keep on doing them as long as you enjoy them
all the best
Terry
 
Hi Z
I see you are still working on your older injuries. I think you are doing so great. I find that it takes more work staying in shape as I am getting older. And yes, old injuries keep coming back to haunt me.
Take care and stay active.
Bea
 
You continue to inspire and it has nothing to do with the physical, it is with your attitude. We've chatted about this before, and I think of you when I need to "chill" on my attitude. Thanks Z.

...and, of course i hope those zingers stop soon. -Cathy
 
Somewhere you talked about realizing you were still protecting yourself when you didn't need to anymore. Thought I'd share a funny story. I forgot how to sit down normally on a toilet :th_heehee: I got released from the 90 degree thing and when I took the raised seat off it took me 3 days (not kidding) to sit down normally. It felt like it was so low that if I really sat down normal I'd hurt something. Then I had developed this habit of sticking my right leg out too. I was cracking myself right up. I actually went to the spare room, where the bed is lower and practiced sitting down. Not sure where I've said this before but right b4 my surgery my moms 17 yr old hip dislocated. I think that set the tone for me big time, and may have made me actually not do things I actually could have been doing. In the past now - Feels like my body is unwinding. It is not like a switch I can turn on and off.

Just goes to show me what they say about habits is true, that it takes 30 days to set a habit. I have to remember that for any positive habits I want to set.

Hope you are having a good day, and yes, finally got some good steady rain yesterday and in the night. I heard the plants outside shouting :yes 4:

Speaking of toilet humor...

My wife was just home from a TKR when she dropped the paper holder just after fushing. $350 and a new toilet later we were back in business. Always thinking ahead, we opted for a hi-rise in anticipation of my next HR.
 
Z - I have finally made it through your thread and must say I am quite impressed with your progress. I am surprised that your OS allowed all your activity so soon. When released from the hospital I was encouraged to walk as much as posssible. At my three week follow-up my OS was not pleased that I had myself up to two plus miles. He cut me back to one mile max until six weeks.

I am more than a bit envious of your running. The best I can do is chase the grandkids around the back yard. I content myself with walking my old running routes, continually fighting the urge to trip the runners. I'll probaly give my back a full year to recover and try a lap or two around the track and see how I feel.

As you have painfully discovered, take it easy. You can't do it all today. I find it difficult to take my own advice but offer it non the less.

Best wishes for a continued amazing recovery.
 
Cathy,

You are a very gracious New Englander. You and I both know that I've had an undeservedly easy time of things and that probalby has a lot to do with my attitude... That and my love of being active precludes me from allowing even the most obvious realities from precluding me from pursuing anything but an active lifestyle. 5 months ago I was a very frustrated/unhappy couch potato who could not enjoy life the way I wanted, so I had a THR to be able to have fun again. It'll take something pretty major to convince me that fun is not RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. And as crazy as this sounds, I kinda like that when I do something "active" now I am thinking about, worrying about, compensating for...MY HAMSTRING and not my hip. My hip does nto factor into the decision at the moment. How crazy is that?

And Allan, my surgeon was (is) pretty different. We'll see how this all holds together 5, 10, 20 years from now to see if he is right. Thanks for the advice and wishes. As I've mentioned...it will be strictly trails for me going forward. The track at the HS is that rubber surface, but I still feel like most trails are better shock absorbing. So far the thing that I jogged that felt the cushiest was athletic fields!

And Allan...bonus points to you for making it thru this thread. You clearly have a tenacity about you that will serve you well... :wink1:

Z
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom