Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zak, I juts looked at them too - gorgeous1 And love the way you've cropped some of them to maximize the effect!
 
Thanks Jo...I often crop dramatically to hide something I SCREWED up in another corner of the shot!! :heehee:

Kind of you to say, Kevin...and we should look into getting a duplex out there cuz that's a place that I wanna be!

And trust me...a day of hiking has way less potential for IMPACT than your water skiing. :shocked:

I'm successfully gotten back to jogging some slower 5K's...the slow seems to be what my leg muscles are craving. Thru it all, the hip feels good....

Z
 
Hi Z, just got a little question for ya :) Just wondering how you start off running? The reason I'm asking is, yesterday after PT I had about two minutes to get to the parking meter before it ran into the next hour and I didn't want to pay more so I was dashing back to the car, walking as fast as I could when unthinkingly I tried to run. Crikey, it was like my operated leg wasn't my own again! It just felt so weak and wobbly.

Today I tried a tiny little jog on the spot and could do it on tip toes but not flat footed, again, my leg wasn't my own :)

So, that's my question. How did you progress to actual normal running and was it difficult? Not that I want to go running but I might want to have a little spurt on if I am in a hurry. :) Was it like fast walking then having a little run inbetween?


Just a thought.

Thanks

Take care

Ann.x.
 
" Crikey, it was like my operated leg wasn't my own again! It just felt so weak and wobbly.. "

Ann, I totally remember this. Thanks for that lovely memory!!! :groan: The exercises that we all do for our new hips are not geared toward the dynamics of running. I can't explain which elements are ignored, but they sure are.

So when I started jogging I started very slow....and very short distances (minimal impact and minimal effort) and I really concentrated on making the stride as symetric as possible. I really concentrated on "jogging without a limp". Maybe I should have gone back and started adding the numerous exercises to strengthen the other pieces (my calf, and my ankle and my glute) in a run strengthening way, but I just started small and built up. Then as I noticed components being WAY out of shape and not ready I would do some spot exercises.

One thing that I did at PT that i had done might have helped a bit was hopping. Kind of like doing a short standing broad jump (if you remember those). I started jumping literally 18 inches with a very exaggerated landing (LOTS of shock absorbtion)..So I'd jump 18 inches (and not high either) and land like I'd jumped 15 feet. I THINK that the hopping gets the fast twitch muscles firing. Walking..even when fast is very controlled. Running (even slowly ) has a fast twitch component that we just don't experience when taking care of our new hips.

But I agree...my inital efforts in running looked like an 8 cylinder engine running on three cylinders. The Brits might say I was all sixes and sevens (don't ask me...THEY said it)

When you are up to it just for fun, try again CAREFULLY and try to be as balanced and symetric as you can, realizing that there are pieces that WILL NOT cooperate.

Z
 
Thanks Z, you are very welcome for the reminder of that lovely memory...heehee...sorry. I can just imagine you being all sixes and sevens, that's exactly how I felt.lol.

I don't think I am quite brave enough to do the hopping thing yet, but perhaps at some point.

Appreciate the info and advice Z :)

Thankyou

Ann.x.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom