THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linda,

I'm sure running is not for everyone. In my case, when surgeons warned me not to run on my failing hip pre-surgery it was a life changing event...and not the good kind. I've always been a soccer player and a runner and those things make me happy.

When I was told I had to stop (and the pain was telling me the same) I was running 4-6 miles per run...3-4 days a week on roads (mostly asphalt).

So now I do ~3miles (5K) 2-3 times a week exclusively on trails. I wear good cushy trail running shoes. My hip is ceramic on ceramic. I'm not heavy and my running style has always been low impact (the bottoms of my shoes would look new as my friends had already worn thru theirs....)

My impression is that the amount of wear on ceramic surfaces compared to ALL others types is far less. My surgeon said that running would not be what causes my hip to fail...but disouraged me from OVER doing it. Could I need to have this replaced....maybe...but it would be because I was doing something that enhances my quality of life. And not that running is helping my other hip...but the pain that was building in that one over the past few years is GONE since having #1 done. I guess however I was compensating was an issue.

And here is a piece of me that I am all too aware of. When I can workout and be (more) fit, I actually eat BETTER and take better care of my health than when I am limited on the exercise. Getting my head into fitness helps me focus and drive the right behaviors... When I am laid up and not exercising SHOULD be when I get focused on eating right...but alas, that's nto me.

So..no guarantees...about my hip, or running, or anything. But enjoying myself the best way I know how is important to me...so I do it.

And I thot of this this AM running...this (5k) is now my distance. I can run it faster or hillier....but not longer. I think I'm going to get to know it quite well.....:dancy:

Z
 
And here is a piece of me that I am all too aware of. When I can workout and be (more) fit, I actually eat BETTER and take better care of my health than when I am limited on the exercise. Getting my head into fitness helps me focus and drive the right behaviors... When I am laid up and not exercising SHOULD be when I get focused on eating right...but alas, that's not me.

So true -- all those fantastic chemicals that surge through the brain and body, I guess!!

You are doing great and it's so nice to hear that!!! How are your hamstrings treating you, have they decided to work with the pack and stop zinging???

We got 98 degrees today too -- UGH. You have it too??? We are coming north in two weeks and I cannot tolerate those temps with no air-conditioning, I'll have to camp out in Walmart.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie,

I realize I am one of a rare breed of whiners here complaining about hamstrings...but desperation led me to lots of new research and I came up with a device I'd seen b4 but never tried...a massage stick...

broken link removed: https://www.pro-tecathletics.com/57038/586624/Massage/Pro--Tec-Roller-Massager.html

And (knock on tight hamstrings) I have had a couple weeks of jogging free of hamstring issues. Using that device, I really work over my hamstrings and quads at least a couple times a day and I swear I am getting a different kind of stretch. In most stretches, the muscles is pulled really tight...and you kind of elongate it...right? That's what stretching is ... But this approach is different in that it "stretches" and kneads the muscle while it is NOT tight. I dunno...I'm just glad I discovered it.

It has been about as unpleasant outside as it gets with lots of heat and humidity. I normally prefer to run mid-day when I am less stiff and looser but I started at 8 AM and 77 degrees today and it was SOOOO much nicer. I did 3.1 miles in the woods at a 9:23/mile pace and if it wasn't for those satanic deerflies :gaah:it would have been a truly lovely run. As it was..it was only wonderful...

I'll try to order up some cooler drier weather for your visit....I would not mind some of that for me either!

Thanks for checking in,

Z
 
[Bonesmart.org] Z's Postop thread Soak yourself with Deep Woods OFF and the satanic deer flies will leave you to heaven. They are the pits!
 
Yamuna body rolling ? Anyone heard of it? Here is something I took a class in a few years back though I could really use a DVD to refresh myself on the proper technique. A friend of mine was trained in it and did classes. I still use it for stretching and loosening my back up. I really love it. Here is a link to the store and from there you can read about it. https://yamunabodyrolling.com/store/
 
I took a body rolling class last year....about 6 months after surgery, so I had to be very careful still with that side of my body. I thought it was very useful, and I visualized that I would work on it at home....bit by bit...to restore good health to all my muscles. I have the ball....I have a book. I've never once touched it since the class.

That's an indictment of me, not the technique. I still have good intentions and high hopes. I will say that at the time I attended the class because I was having a terrible shoulder problem, and that problem has since disappeared completely. Hmm....just one session...:)

Sharon
 
Well, your last comment sounded like the "typical male" :) ... offering suggestions but not wanting help. I'll forgive you. You can't help it. But, I will still compliment on your "sound" of compassion.... that is rare!

Newfoundland! Oh, how I envy so many of you and your lives. How fantastic!

How did the run go? I'm curious to read your response to Lgastreich's comments....

Best,

Alicia
 
Alicia,

Thanks for your gracious words...I can do better at not jumping into problem solving...and I need to try.

Running has gone great, but after 5-6 "issue free" runs I had some issues last time out. I was pushing hard and had to call it a day after 2.4 miles and walked the last .7 miles out of the woods. I was guilty of watching my "watch" and feeling like if I pushed a little harder (mostly on my lungs...not on my hip) I might be able to sneak in under 9 minute miles...when I stopped I was at 9:01 per mile (DARN YOU FANCY GPS THINGY CALLING OUT MY SPLIT TIMES!!!) :hissy:

This is not new for me... I've always tracked times and progress and I enjoy it and it helps me keep from getting lazy and casual. When I have tried running in the past to music I would get done and be shocked how slow I would go.

So anyway...this post has helped me to decide that I need to leave the run tracker in the drawer for a couple weeks and let up a little on the BLAZING SPEED!!!! :heehee:

I'll be doing this for years...so the days and weeks don't matter SO much!!! :thumb:

Z
 
Dear John,

There is something undeniably magnificent about running, so I understand your persual of it. It sounds like you are getting a lot of "quality" time in with your body on your trails (now I know they are better than asphault, but I guess you need to be more focused on turns and twists and possible rocks etc). I used to be a 10K runner in my 30s, early 40s but the jarring was too much on the joints and then OA made it impossible. I very reluctantly gave it up.

It sounds like you are naturally competetive, even with yourself. It is okay to give yourself a break, you know, when you need it.

The massage rollers are a great idea and so are those rollar-balls becasue they can give you a great stretch.

Actually, John, you don;t need to hold yourself back from problem solving. You are a natural problem solver, so go for it!

May your deer flies quickly go to deer fly heaven.

Warm regards,
Elle
 
So anyway...this post has helped me to decide that I need to leave the run tracker in the drawer for a couple weeks and let up a little on the BLAZING SPEED!!!! :heehee:

I'll be doing this for years...so the days and weeks don't matter SO much!!! :thumb:

Z

Good idea Z -- sometimes you have to run and just enjoy yourself, not keep track of your pace or your distance!!!

I like your little hamstring beater, much better than the THR ("the hamstring removal") you'd been contemplating a while back!! :yes!:

Enjoy yourself,
Cardie
 
You are sounding a bit more "realistic" :)..... I used to have a therapist back in MPLS who told me I should lower my expectations of people, and life would be easier on me. I think his words apply to my own hip recovery. And, you are realizing what is "too much" and when to ease off, it sounds like to me.

Still am jealous of your upcoming trip....boy, even though I am SO GRATEFUL to be out of pain.... I feel like I need an "escape." For some reason, I've been feeling a bit low/depressed, and haven't logged on.... not sure what's up with that.... my health is SO good; love my workouts, love walking over the Ringling Bridge again.... but I'm "thinking" too much. :)

Continue to take care of YOU!

Alicia
 
Hi there Z... Just checking back in.. We could do with a little of that heat down under... It is an exceptionally cold winter..

Hey check out my thread, I post about my new activity!

Talking about hamstrings, the PT I saw this morning got me to stand on one foot and go down to a crouch position.... Yuck!

Didn't like that much... Missed you, thanks for the mail :)
 
Hey Z, just bopping over to say hi, trying to catch up on everyone. I see a few weeks back you were leaving your "GPS thingy" haha, in the drawer. Reminds me of what Cardie always tells me. Leave something alone for a while, then come back to it and usually there are changes. Seems to be true. Hope that is the same for you and that running is going well for you. I'll be in touch, Cathy
 
Quick Update:

A couple changes to my regular workout....I'm not tracking my times like I was, way more casual and focused on getting 2 or 3 miles in, regardless of the pace. I'm also staying off the trails at the moment and running on athletic fields.

I changed my vaca plans. Newfoundland was just too time consuming to get to (DARN). It was going to be 28 hours from the time I leave my home in Massachusetts until I arrive at my destination in Newfoundland AND the ferry will cost me significantly more than a roundtrip ticket out West SOOOO, my son (age 22) and I will be hiking in Southern Utah for a week...we leave on 8/22. I was actually out in that general area last Aug (I L o v e d Moab), but was somewhat limited on my hiking due to (everyone say it together) A BAD HIP. So, I look fwd to getting to a few more interesting destinations with my new parts....
So that should be a good workout and a lot of fun...

Thanks to all who've check in on me. :cheers:

Z
 
I can't wait till I can get out and do this kind of stuff you speak of ! cheers to you and your strength. :cheers:
 
Hi Z... How exciting.. A week hiking and camping with your son.. I can't wait for the photos :) Please be careful buddy xx

Please that you are building up gradually with your running and safely on the ovals..

Hugs
 
Hey Z -

Just surfing the forum and getting caught up on your thread somewhat. Can you believe a year ago that we would be talking about running & hiking ? Have a great time out west with your son ! Consider posting a picture of you standing on a mountain top - how symbolic.

Best Regards,
Kevin
 
Have an awesome time in the desert with your son and don't forget to take your hamstring beater!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom