Guest viewing is limited

THR Z's Postop thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could use trails but I rolled my ankle once too often playing basketball. I switched to running when my knees gave me too much trouble on stairs. Surprisingly, my knees are fine, the ankle not so much. I can still sprain it watching basketball on TV. 25 years later my hips let me down.
 
Thanks for bopping over and adding your thoughts. Lots of times your comments make me smile, which is a very good thing, especially when I take a momentary plunge. ...too funny on the "worrying about the eerily quiet parts". Hope you are having a good day and you are still moving in the right direction with your hammys :)
 
Hi folks,

--just a quick uneventful update.--

My hip continues to be just fine...but my hamstring continues to be a PAIN IN MY ...well... a pain in the backside of my leg.

I had one small walk/run the other day that was fine. But the one yesterday led to a "zinger' after about a mile.

Back to the drawing board for hamstring repair...

Anyone heard of any good THR surgeons where THR stand for Total Hamstring Replacements!?!? :wink1:

I still bike and row and get along just fine. I may even be at a point where extended hiking will work (after a couple weeks R&R for the hamstring) Just disappointed that I took care of my single biggest limiting factor, just to find a new one just below (well about 30 cm below...)

I think I'm going to head up for some hiking Gros Morne in Newfoundland later this summer....Anyone ever been?

For those above the equator...enjoy the fast approaching summer! And for those below...the quieter slower (cooler) times of winter!

Z
 
Z I have had hamstring issues since my THR. What I do is all day, every day stretches. Sitting in front of a computer, leg straight out and pull the toes toward your body. I do this over and over. Really does help but you need to get in the habit and keep at it.

Keep us updated!
 
Bad luck JZ!
It's so difficult NOT to do the things you know will benefit you with health and recovery just because you're injured!! My problem, and I suppose we've all been there is WHEN to "test" the injury after letting it heal ..... the norm is to go too early and strain again!
I really go along with a rigorous stretching routine with massage thrown in, yoga and pilates stretches I find the best and I've been raiding YOU Tube for apposite ones.
All the best JZ .... be patient!!!:hysterical:

Charlie
 
Jaycey and Charlie,

I think to get past this one I am going to have to make hamstring stretching as omnipresent as breating. A couple times a day I stop and stretch the hamstring....but I think that you're tight...I need more.

I'll give it a go....

Z
 
Hi Z,

Are you able to pinpoint which muscle is causing the Zingers

[Bonesmart.org] Z's Postop thread


Maybe @alexthecat: would be able to suggest something that would be helpful.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie,

it's a bit tough to tell...it's kinda like a bag snakes back there. But if I had to guess I would say it most likely the Semitendiosus.

My latest technique is to wear 5 lb ankle weights for a couple hours a day with a fair number of hamstring curls during that time to strengthen them. I figure that even if they are FLEXIBLE due to stretching, they also need to be sufficiently strong to counteract what my quads do and "catch me" when I stumble at all.

I would contend in the most recent "pull" I had scuffed the bottom of my foot on a root or something and that caused lots of muscles to go on high alert...and I dropped my jog down to a stop within a couple strides due to a sudden pain. So my latest theory is to up the strength...

Thanks for asking!

Z
 
Go easy Z! I'm tired just reading about your weight training! :th_heehee:
 
Hamstrings are very easily over-stretched. While that may sound benign, it is a serious injury and full recovery can take many months. Therefore, I would suggest, in your case, limiting hamstring stretches to those specifically recommended to you by an MD or PT familiar with your medical history.


My latest technique is to wear 5 lb ankle weights for a couple hours a day with a fair number of hamstring curls during that time to strengthen them.

If you are saying here that you are wearing ankle weights while going about your normal activities, I would advise against that, as that has been found to lead to injuries of the ankles, hips, knees, and back.


In the time that I have been a member of BoneSmart, I have noticed a fair number of people who return to the forum with new complaints 4 or 5 or 6 months after surgery. The pattern seems to be that they increased their activity level dramatically and began experiencing new aches and pains. The solution to this is not to continue increasing activity or to find new exercises to try to solve these exercise-induced problems, but rather to allow your body to continue to heal and recover and then gradually introduce new activities. That is to say, the answer, as always during recovery, is patience.
 
Hi Z, just checking in with all my buddies, how are you doing?

How is the scuff on the bottom of your foot. - healed up?

Ankle weights... Mmmmm! Impressive my friend :)

You and Charlie and Jane and a few others make me feel so guilty and lazy.... Here I am on my day off, lazing around, thinking about a little nap...

Ah! The joys of working a nine day fortnight :)
 
All in all, doing ok Sandy. Set backs lead to extra work to clear the hurdles. The "scuff" on the bottom of my heel referred to me brushing it on a tree root whilst jogging and that led to a little "hitch" in my stride that led to yet another hamstring strain. PRETTY DARNED FRAGILE wouldn't you say!?!?

I'm getting a fair amount of exercise between rowing and biking and some exercises back and forth across the back yard that are akin to soccer (football) warmup stretches. But jogging and kicking are still an elusive reward...

And I will say that as far as the new hip goes, I have no PAIN (havent't since the first few weeks really...but without ibuprofen is sore/stiff with some regularity.

I wonder if that too will go away or if after 5 months and being active this is what is to be expected?

Hope all is well with you and you enjoy your weekend...

Thanks for checking in,

Z
 
I still have stiffness in the tissues surrounding my new hip too. It's mostly just when I get up from a chair after sitting for a while. It loosens up after about 15 feet or so, and then I'm fine. This is even with ibuprofen, since I've continued to take it for the other bad hip (that is due to be "out of there" in two weeks!).

The joint of the new hip itself feels fine and I can walk for a long time once I'm moving. I'm going to be seeing my surgeon's physican's assistant for my right hip pre-op on Tuesday and I'm going to ask her if this is normal. I'm not sure if I have some bursitis? Or, whether things inside still need to do some healing. I'm a little shy of 5 months post op on the left new hip.

I'll let you know what she says about the stiffness.

Dorothy
 
Z you make me look positively lazy... I look at the fancy treadmill and the fance stationary bike... but that is it... work consumes too much of my life unfortunately. But I tell myself, this too shall end!

Dorothy, I will be interested in what they say about the stiffness.
 
Over time my stiffness response has abated -- it was very gradual & subtle. I am not bound to a desk in my daily activities but do find that seat-work does need to be moderated in order to be most comfortable. But I think that's true even for people with normal knees and hips of our "age."

Interesting mention about ibuprohen and exercise a few weeks back on the radio.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Give that new hip time! I am now 1 1/2 years post op, and I really never think about my hip. It has just become a part of me that works flawlessly. I'm now working on having my knees be just the same.

And not every ache and pain we have down the road has a thing to do with our surgeries. Sometimes we just overdo activities and would have the aches and pains even if we had never had surgery.

I had to clean my yard up for a brief thunderstorm that packed 60 mph winds and left several large limbs and what seemed like a ton of debris all over the place. Well, a couple of days after all that stooping over--my back, between my shoulder blades, my right shoulder, and my hands were very, very sore. But my hip and my knees were just fine.
And I agree some of the stiffness we experience may be due as much to age as anything.

These man-made parts are pretty awesome and such a blessing!
 
Charlie said WHEN to "test" the injury after letting it heal ..... the norm is to go too early and strain again! Isn't that THE TRUTH and especially tough when you have already gained some increased activity level and want to keep it. I know the running really "feeds" you Z and having to back off is a killer.

Then I see Alex being the voice of reason too In the time that I have been a member of BoneSmart, I have noticed a fair number of people who return to the forum with new complaints 4 or 5 or 6 months after surgery. The pattern seems to be that they increased their activity level dramatically and began experiencing new aches and pains. The solution to this is not to continue increasing activity or to find new exercises to try to solve these exercise-induced problems, but rather to allow your body to continue to heal and recover and then gradually introduce new activities. That is to say, the answer, as always during recovery, is patience.
Also can see so so so true!!! ...and at my 3 months too :)

That being said, I look to all the active people, like you Z, to know that it can be done. Sometimes, I, like Sandy, feel like a bit of a slacker when I compare myself, but when I am not comparing, I know i am where I need to be and I, too, will be back at the gym, and in my kayak soon. I love seeing the people a few months ahead of me. It gives me lots of hope.

I'd say hang in there, but with you, I know you always are. I am sure you get frustrated, but you have one if the best attitudes on this forum. Take care guy and I'll let you know how I do on my first bike ride today, Cathy
 
Patience has never been a strength of mine, but I am getting SO Much better...

When I started jogging in April, it really felt great. I thought I was ready. But in hindsight, all that strengthening of hip and butt (and quad) did virtually nothing for my hamstrings. And hamSTRINGS was apparently an accurate descriptor, or possibly hamSPAGHETTI.

I have bounced around the back yard with some jogging motions and would have to say that they don't feel ready (!@#$%) but I did not reinjure anything. SOOOO, the patience continues....

Good luck with the bike ride Cathy...easy does it. Make sure that you stop 2 minutes BEFORE you have done TOO MUCH. :wink1:
 
Make sure that you stop 2 minutes BEFORE you have done TOO MUCH.

That ranks right up there with quit eating when you're 3/4 full. :)

Sigh.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom