THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

Beautiful news...Cobb boots huh? Looking into it. Have to get some shoes.
So happy you are out enjoying your life.
You go hippy!!!!:yahoo:

@zauberflöte How wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your trip! So very happy for you and your hip! Totally understand that you are getting back into life! That's what we all are or will be doing. Please do keep in touch as it gives us all hope that we too will get through the bumpy patches and be brought into the fullness of life! @Layla @Mojo333 @cpollock @gwenc @MyAussieGirl and anyone I've missed, please do take good care of you! I've come to see that over the years I just kept pushing myself for the sake of others even though my poor hip was beyond bad by the time of my surgery. Sending you all caring thoughts! Rita

Your trip sounds wonderful minus the heat we have that heat humid and from 90 to 97 for a week. It's to break tomorrow. Yayyyyy. I don't think I could have done the heat and walking but you my friend are back living life

I've been avoiding this thread in case it blew up on me (I have 19 notifications; i'm afraid to look at them! :scaredycat:

Here we are on vacation! Friday I walked 2.75 miles, yesterday almost 2, and so far today 2.5. I cannot believe how lucky I am that this hip is doing this so soon for me-- I'm just over 10 weeks! Last one I could only walk a mile a day at FOUR MONTHS!! Moreover, I'm currently sitting in a huge cushy armchair rocker, in "modified" tailor-fashion. Criss-cross-applesauce as they say now. Greatly modified, but I have been dreaming of this day for at least 6 years. By Christmas I can sit on the floor to open presents, I won't have to be the old decrepit lady any more. I have unthinkingly gotten down on my knees a couple of times recently, and while I can get up fine, it does involve presenting the rear end to the public on the way up :heehee: I've also successfully slept comfortably on the op side for hours at a time for a week now- WOW! I just can't get over how much faster this hip has been than the first one was.

@MyAussieGirl Mags, I'll come over and tell you too, but I woke up early enough to go to church, and that's where I got my 2.5 miles in. Up and down hills, and it was blessing of the animals day, which I've never seen-- tons of fun. All those dogs, all so well behaved for so long-- you would have LOVED it!

@Mojo333 Cobb Hill. They're made by Rockport, and these I had to buy at their online store-- Zappo's didn't have my size, and they were the same price anyway.

i'm using them here too, but I can now put on my running shoes fairly comfortably, and am not showing off for old classmates either....

@birder thanks for stopping by! I'm so sorry I haven't hung out at your place hardly at all.

Hmmm I'm afraid my next walk, after supper, will involve Key Lime Pie....

Last edited:
Yay you @zauberflöte I wonder if God blessed you with Blessing of pets today so when you went to church you'd feel so uplifted ... I am so glad you went. I am most proud of you

Sitting on the floor on Christmas how cool
It's funny the things we took for granted many years ago but found the value of later. I have so many things like that I look forward to.

I did feel uplifted @MyAussieGirl ! I think the walking was the biggest blessing-- I just cannot get over this particular walking part of it! I enjoy being here period, I enjoy being here with only hubby and no kid constantly seeking attention to his wants, the weather turned GORGEOUS, I always get happier in the fall from that, and to top it all off, I seem so far to be able to walk wherever I please!

ODIC alert, cold reality sets in. Phooey! Evidently there is indeed a limit to how far I can walk in a day and get away with it. Went for a further two miles last night, to get that Key Lime pie (it was amazing...) and about half way there, my op hip started saying, enough of this. But we were already committed! So I slowed down, shortened my stride, and did well enough. There is also the variable of possibly having sat to long in the wrong poition yesterday, and another variable of, perhaps my hip doesn't appreciate my sleeping on it for several hours per night, although it doesn't hurt while I'm doing it!

So today is a grudging day of rest. Maybe I will have a short walk....or maybe not...already went grocery shopping, and getting in and out of a car which has a very low seat is not happy-making. Old Chevy Cavalier or something, lives at the house, and I don't see a way to raise the seat grrr.

Or...maybe it's the result of the combination of all @zauberflöte
Hope you feel better soon!

@MyAussieGirl oh sorry about your non-op hip being mad at you abusing it! @Layla that's the problem-- I'll never know what caused this, so in order to make it scientific, I have to eliminate all challenges and then add one at a time back in, once a week. Who has time for that!? :snork:

Around 3 months I started in the ODIC club every other week. As you said, hard to figure as so many things did not bother me as I was doing it, but only when I stopped. So hard to know. So good for you, I too would have to force myself to take some super easy days. Then, off again.
I don't know if I can ever be a side sleeper again and my back bothers me when I sleep flat..gonna check with OS first if November. Just now ABLE to sleep comfortably on side but wake up feeling like I shouldn't be. Maybe defensive post op habits die hard.
House you are feeling better.

@Mojo333 I think at 4+ months I was just starting to be able to sleep a little on my op side, first time around. It took forever! This one, I think I started a week and a half ago, and depending on the bed, I'm successful or not. Yesterday morning I was on that side when I woke up for good, and swore I'd not do it for a few days. Last night I broke my own swear, intentionally, and it was fine! Go figure.

This morning I did a 2+ mile walk, split at the middle by a visit to a grave. I became aware that I was "shielding" the op hip from a longer stride, and consequently sort of limping. Which side hurt? The other side, in all its chronic pains glory. So I slowed waaaayy down for part of the walk, paying very close attention to equal stride lengths. It was boring. Also interesting on uneven pavement! Probably very necessary though.

My incision is not yet perfectly all healed up @MyAussieGirl , the top still has a scab, although every time it rubs or melts off, the replacement is smaller. This is ridiculous! But I've been told not to go swimming in the ocean until it is all healed, no doubts about it. So, as I am AT the ocean, I can't go kayaking and risk dumping myself into the briny deep. I did cheat-- rolled up my pants and went wading yesterday. Very nice. Water is in mid-60's-- hubby plans to swim! Or get wet all over anyway. Gotta keep up the family image!

Odd you still have scab this perplexes me what does the doctor say????? Id wrap in saran wrap and go in that stinks on ocean and not going in....grrrr. yeahhhhh hubby Though. Hugs for you I feel bad for you this must stink

Steep inclines still cause me some discomfort and strength feels not quite there. Uneven surfaces, same. Not really hurting necessarily, just more exerting?
You'll be in the ocean all summer next year. Jealous you are AT the ocean. At least you can look at it and smell it.:dubious:

@MyAussieGirl it's not bad, really! I've gotten used to the boyshorts undies-- they are MUCH more comfy with the seams on the outside, rather than assaulting my tender tush. It's healing. The OS PA said he thought it felt like healing tissue when I was to see him a few weeks ago, and he signed me off until my one-year anniversary. It doesn't hurt or anything, and I didn't really want to go in the water, only kayaking on that placid bathtub that was Buzzard's Bay yesterday. But it's all good-- as @Mojo333 says, when I'm here next summer (fingers crossed) I can kayak all I want!

Mojo, I know exactly what you mean about steep inclines and uneven surfaces-- my first hip was exactly that way. God blessed me with a recovery that was up to the very hilly neighborhood I live in now, for this hip, and inclines never did bother me, and uneven terrain very little. I cannot get over that! It's soooo different than the first one was. I walk on anything with nary a second thought. I climb hills with nary a second thought. Just glorious for me! I wish everybody could have this!!!!!

I walked FOUR miles in all today. 2 this morning and another 2 this evening. No repercussions except outside of op thigh hot and feels tight on poking-- swelling I guess. I'm so jazzed by this ability! It means when I get home I'll be able to walk off all the cookies I've eaten here on vacation...so dumb of me to eat them, but it's fun to be bad....

Hello @zauberflöte! I think we will all be in and out of ODC for a while. We are testing our limits after being sidelined by pain for so long. Still have slight weakness when walking up or down a hill... just take my time. It's very slowly improving. Take care...Rita

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads