THR Zauberflote #2 on other side!!

@zauberflöte The boxers are cute! I'm still wearing the knit plaid men's ones from Hanes truth be told. I tried wearing my regular ones and they are still not comfortable. The one thing I do like about the Hanes is they are very thin material and don't leave a "boxer panty line" under my pants, even the slim type. Change of subject - do you have a cushion to use in your car? My sister bought me one that I leave in my car and it's really made a difference as my car seat is too low. Also my wonderful PT told me to put a heavy weight black trash bag on the cushion so when I get in the car I slide into the seat, really helps! Take care...Rita
 
@zauberflöte My son had many issues, autism not being one of them, but I finally had to...tell him he could no longer live with me. I was not sure he could handle it either, but this was four years ago and he is now gotten his own self back in college , works part time at Subway, and he lives to live another day. Sounds like you are doing well. I'm still far from a spring chicken...but I can at least handle these post op glitches.
The board is fairly absent ...in body and support until once per month and make asinine decisions about daily operations that they can't possibly understand how it puts more on me BECAUSE they are not there. Over the past 6 years I attended one monthly meeting and am myself a board member for the past two, and I get no cooperation so I have a mantra every time on the way...just hush- let's do this, it won't help, you aren't going to accomplish anything but make yourself seem volatile, and I'm guessing out of 75 meetings I have been unable to keep my mouth shut because someone always says something ignorant!! 0 for 75!
On the upside .... they know I handle everything and they apparently won't fire me so I just need to try for 1 for 76.
They made some decisions without informing me this week but informed our local newspaper...and almost caused a riot with emergency food rations.
Jeez, see how I am? I know, too much info.
Sorry you asked, eh.
It will all work out.
Tomorrow is gonna be a Good Day.:yes:
 
I would not call them boxers.... I'd call them not silk kinda tap pants ...those are cute. I don't be know if I could adjust cause getting in pants...shorts they would ride up but hey not bad .... whew
 
Hi there @zauberflöte
Good news the scab is shrinking! The boy shorts are cute.
They look really comfy. They wouldn't work with jeans though,
would they? I'm thinking they'd bunch up.

Prayers will continue for all to fall into place with your son's move.
I'm sure all of you will adjust but as MAG mentioned....it doesn't have to be permanant if
it's not working out for the best.

Hope you had a relaxing weekend and best wishes for a great week!
 
Sweetie @zauberflöte it may work now for your son, it may work another time for your son...or something else will come up that will be perfect. WE have a mighty great God...he loves your son too and he is working every thing out. Relax under his wing.
 
@birder years ago I bought a very expensive seat liner for my car, as I was having all this butt pain that when I came here I discovered is probably piriformis, and also my S-I joint is very unhappy for years now. Anyway I paid a whole lot for this thing, put it in the car for vacation, and oh boy oh boy oh boy that was AWFUL. I didn't hurt much when I sat down on it, but after 5 minutes pain was well over 6...and we still had 10 hours to drive. Big mistake. It is currently plastered over the ladderback of a Shaker-style rocker, gathering dust and puffing it back at us every time we sit in the rocker. I actually buy my cars on the basis of seat comfort! I drove exactly the same model car in three iterations for 26 years! Then I had to get a slightly newer one, and the seat is not so good, but whatever, at this point.

@Mojo333 no, I'm not sorry I asked! I'm glad we have a boat to be in together offspring-wise. Your son sounds like he's doing some mature thinking! Yes, my husband said to somebody who questioned the wisdom of DS moving out (actually I think it was OTHER DS!), that if he stayed, somebody was gonna get killed. For my DH, them's very strong words indeed.
I wonder if there ought to be some kind of operating manual for the board-- are you like General Manager maybe? You can write the manual, and it will say that the chain of communication starts with YOU and then moves out to media! Geez, (as my father used to say, "jeezamentlies!) no wonder they drive you nuts!
I have a question for you-- when you went back to work, what kind of shoes did you use, and are you walking on wood subflooring or concrete slab? I'm having more pain these days, and I'm not sure whether to blame Atlantic weather systems (very likely a partial cause) or the cute but softish-soled/heeled boots I've been practising walking in, or that one walk a few days ago of almost a mile and a quarter.....in those very boots. Practising for this weekend, but I think I am sticking with short walks for now, and will tough it out when I get to Montreal. I sure can't afford a cab everywhere I go!

@MyAussieGirl they mostly stay put while I'm wearing them. I've taken to wearing them inside out-- the inseam, which I'm not used to in undies, was really irritating the part "closer to the bed than my blank", don't you know. There is a gusset in the blank area, thank goodness! And AMEN to your God comments! God pretty much has to let the kid stay out or keep us alive if he doesn't stay out, because hubby also said, once he's gone, he ain't coming back. And meant it. It's gone on far too long. Group home is the next place we have, although they require Medicaid and right now who knows what Medicaid will look like even in a year.

@Layla we are going to find out starting Friday if they stay in place under jeans, corduroy ones!
 
9 weeks today. Yesterday I drove 200 miles with no problem, went to house we own 100 miles away, and then stopped at OS office for my 8-10 week followup. The PA liked everything he saw and heard-- they seem to base alot of judgement on clinical signs as reported by patient, plus of course the xrays. He was very patient with comparing xrays of my other hip from 4 years ago to yesterday's, and explaining them for me. He also judged that the scab and stuff at the top of the incision is doing ok; it feels to him like healing tissue. Hurray boyshorts!

This time I got a handout instead of having to think of questions to ask-- clever them. No activities restrictions-- last time I was told not to run as exercise, it wore the parts out faster, and also showed a position which would pretty much guarantee a dislocation if I got into it. I will bet if I'd had the same PA for this visit as told me about that, he'd have said it again. This PA didn't have much of a friendly bedside manner, although I couldn't fault him simply for not having a sense of humor! "remember it takes up to 12 months for a joint to heal, expect aches and pains depending on your activity level" etc, general encouraging stuff. The xray tech complimented my ROM when I turned the leg out and bent the knee for that kind of picture. I feel like I have a long way to go on the turnout ability, but then I used to be an avid ballet class taker.
So, "come back 12 months from your surgery"! Hurray! Now to avoid that tendonitis, and we'll be pretty much home free as we can expect to be!
 
@zauberflöte Son needs to learn how to be an adult and that all can not be his way all the time. It is the way of the world despite disabilities.
My mantra finally became "if it is not helping, quit helping"
Harder to do than to say. Cried and worried many times. But that was what saved him, and me eventually.
Certainly I don't know what his deficits might be, but group homes if they are good ones can be therapeutic learning environments. Praying he is able to find his independence makes him stronger and more generous to others .
Board president resigned, that's a start. His intentions did not involve putting the food bank mission nor our small operating staff first. Most are on the board so they can eventually beef up their obituaries...
And he was also a member of The Food Bank, Inc.
We feed the needy, not the greedy and we are to be good stewards of our donations.
I need a change...but can't afford to drop my income at this point. Let's pray MAG hits the lotto.
Great for your report and yes I am still recovering as also.
I'm giving these hips all the care I can, when I can.
 
Rita @birder thank you so much for coming over despite exhaustion!!!! I do think of you barely hanging on by the end of the day-- I hope there are ways that you can ease the load on you, and of course when not at work you know exactly what to do!

@Mojo333 maybe you missed my hips/floors/shoes question? What flooring have you been walking on, what kind of shoes are you wearing, and how do you think it's gotten along with your hips? (me and my new Cobb Hill slightly-bouncy-shod boots are going to hit the pavement in Montreal starting tomorrow, and I have lots and lots of walking to do. When they say "10 minute walk", they do not mean a 10 minute Richmond speed suhhth'n-style walk :rotfl: . When I came here from there, the first thing I noticed was how HOT and HUMID it was. Next thing, everybody is soooo sloooowww...well, now I'm slow too and old besides and a new hip double besides!)

I know what you mean about boards, as the symphony board is often padded with people like that-- although they do tend to be music-lovers, and they do give generously financially. Hey, how about this for a change-- wanna move to RVA? Our church has created a new position of "Associate Pastor for Communications", although it's not a seminary-track position at all. Full time, good benefits.....church politics vs board politics.... I don't actually know how it is over at the "big church" because we go to a very small campus, too small to afford politics!

@MyAussieGirl Mags I keep forgetting to tell you-- that ramp you use? We borrowed my MIL's portable wheelchair ramp, put it out the downstairs driveway door, and now I can change litterboxes safely, without worrying about tripping down the concrete stoop! I guess I'll leave it up until the weather turns. I'm still using a bathmat in the tub for showers, too. Just gives me that extra bit of confidence and traction. But if I was cleared for any activity, does that mean I'm cleared to fall????????:climb::bicycle2::treadmill: I have done all three, but the bike was when I was 21 and stupid...
 
Lol Aww @zauberflöte you left that wide open,...were stupid? :loll:

Oh a serious note IF he has to go to a group home and it's God's will then it will be the best thing for him. Still I know it's hard. I once eons ago worked at a group home. We always treated the residents well...
But kiddo it just may be he will be OK on his own
 
@Mojo333 I think of you and how hard you work. I know this past few weeks I've come to realize that though walking around at work is good, my hip, muscles, tendons definitely don't like the cement block lurking beneath the carpeting at my hospital. Today I worked a lot on my computer finishing a newsletter and even though I stood frequently and walked around, my
hip and back muscles don't like it! As soon as I got home changed shoes and walked around on wood floors my hip started to feel better (of course with the addition of Advil and a heating pad) Thankfully, my hospital system has a good Employee Health Department so I'm having an ergonomic assessment tomorrow and hopefully can order a standing work station. Yippee! How crazy is that, I'm excited about standing up to do my work. Oh well it's my life at the present time. Like you @mojo, I have to work but at least it's work that I'm able to do and I'm thankful for that.
Interesting @zauberflöte, like you both,
a son that has a disability and struggles at times. We pray and do what we can. Getting an error message on the site. Hope you get this. Take care...Rita
 
My husband said his feet, legs and hips always hurt when he was on cement

Hubby said a nurse told him it was due to no give.....I dunno
 
Sorry, does. I seriously need to invest in some good shoes. Embarrassed to say when not at work, I go Fred Flintstone freestyle mostly.
I have a pair of Croc flip flops, really cushiony but I need to go shoe shopping badly. There is mostly concrete where I work so @birder I am sure my legs don't care for it either. I want to get some good tennis shoes and someone of good hiking boot type thing. I have a pair of extra light tennis shoes with memory foam but they don't feel like they help much but I wonder if it is because I wore them pre-op and maybe they are woppity.
I have wide feet due to FF freestyle so hate to order online and we have limited choices here. Savannah shopping sounds very unpleasant to me and it's an hour away.
How's all doing well?
 
Hi @zauberflöte
Hope you're having fun!
You'll need to tell us all about you're trip when you return.
Hopefully you're comfortable and your hip is holding out.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
@Mojo333
I'm barefoot most of the time too. Hate shoes, really hate socks!!!!
I'm guessing it's not wise and harder on the hips.
I don't do barefoot outside but just can't wear shoes in the house.......I like barefoot!!!
 
Once again I'm going to insert tags randomly @MyAussieGirl so as not to make a chain of code. @Mojo333

Montreal was GLORIOUS @Layla but waaaay too hot for the clothes I'd brought, which of course I was stuck with. I didn't think it would be humid too, but it was downright @birder sticky. It was marathon weekend, and they cancelled the marathon due to heat, but left the half and the 10K.

The huge gigantic wonderful thing about it was that my hip continued to amaze me the whole weekend-- I walked miles on pavement every day, and the rest of the time was sitting immobile. My hip remained strong and loose and SO HAPPY! I just can't get over how fast this hip is going compared to my other one. I even did a little jumping-for-joy thing one day and only realized afterwards what I'd done. It did speak up on that, but I only jumped twice, so I don't expect any harm done, and anyway I was cleared for all activity, we remember!

But I was NOT doing all this drug-free. I've been trying to wean the advil while continuing the tylenol. I went back to the max dose for the entire trip, to stave off swelling and inflammation-caused pain. Saturday night late I was a little swollen and wished for ice but it was shower time, and I wished for ice Sunday night too but I'd taken off my jeans because I was so hot from walking around fast and couldn't be bothered. I am icing now, you betcha! I got to semi-elevate each night, sitting in an armchair, feet up on bed, while calling hubby. Verizon has this cool "TravelPass" that you sign up for, meant for short trips. The first time you use your phone for call, text, data, in a compatible country, it triggers a 24-hour session of "use your own call and data plan in this country for $5". After 24 hours is up, the next call/text/data does it again.Not bad!

Saw friends, ate dinner at one's house-- it was exactly like one of those dinners you see in movies where the food is delicious and beautiful and bountiful, and the company is laughing and telling stories, you know those wonderful movie dinners. Since everyone there except the hostess's husband is or was an orchestral musician, my big takeaway from that meal is, no matter what level of orchestra you are in, you think exactly the same of your conductors! (very little, for the most part). Went out to eat with various combinations of friends two more nights, walking everywhere and Keeping Up for the most part!!! I could not believe my hip was so happy!!!!!! I also walked to see Notre Dame Basilica, which unfortunately wasn't professionally lit for photos, but when it is, WOW. I'd turned pages for a Montreal Symphony concert there back in 1975. Went to church Sunday at an Anglican church, Christ Church Cathedral, an easy walk from my hotel, and the sunlight in the stained glass made for good picture taking after worship was over. Sat on a highly uncomfortable wooden pew for 90 minutes except walking up for Communion, and yet was able to walk easily on getting up! More amazement at hip! (I also fixed their toilet, which really needs a new flush lever assembly, so I really only fixed it for the next person after me, but hey.)

Did I mention, I was really in love with How Well My Hip Served Me All Weekend Long?!?? My Cobb Hill boots turned out to be exactly right. No blisters, and bouncy enough to not jar my hip. I used to go barefoot all the time until 2007, when we moved to a coastal house loaded with mold. My feet turned black every day even after I'd put in central vac, and used it, then swiffered every floor (all hardwood or vinyl or tile) and, AND!, wet-mopped them all after that. And still my feet would turn black from the mold floating around. I will say, hardwood is really pretty if you do that to it every week. But I was so glad to move back here where the house is not moldy, and consequently I don't have to be so obsessed with weekly cleanings. I remember some months after my fist hip, going back to the hand-damp-wiping of the baseboards that I did while cleaning, and the new hip was wanting to act as the good hip-- so I guess my left one (new one here) was already complaining loud enough to bother me while stooped over dusting baseboards. So I've really lost a good six years here, two before the first one, and four after that. Wow.

Other hip-ish news-- the scab on the open sore at the top of the incision dropped off Friday night after showering. I'd brought a whole lot of bandaids for that very purpose, but it dried up to a new scab overnight, so I didn't ever need a bandaid on it, the boyshorts are doing their job! My "zingers", which I didn't have at all for the first hip, began localizing to right at the incision on this trip. I guess that's good news?

Once again, I'm going to wean off here. I just cannot stand to give it up, because I love you all so much, but coming one just once for one person's thread means 15 minutes, and a full session is a couple of hours. I have to get on with life! That said, we are going on vacation staring Friday, and our major activity is dong nothing. So I may be here a lot!When I'm not walking into town and back (2 miles) just because I can!

@cpollock @gwenc @snickers and @ all those I've missed, I do apologize for running away, but it means life is happening at full speed, as it hasn't in years!, and I feel great! :happydance:
 
Hey @zauberflöte You sound great....your hip sounds great.....life sounds great!
I'm happy for you:yay:
I hope you and hubby have a relaxing vacay and a great week leading up to it.
Rest up, ice and elevate this week so your rarin to go again in 4 days.
Hugs :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom