TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

I think you rationalise things better when you aren't emotional...as everything said is correct of course. Thank you

@sisterinhim I only travelled in the front seat of the car twice (Sunday) before tonight (so 3 in all). You really think it could be that? Quads not strong enough to support knee and caused it to swell?

Haven't slept a wink and it's 6am.. the whole leg is so sore cannot get comfortable and pain meds haven't done much at all. Thankfully seeing doctor today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know what your doctor says as soon as you can.
 
I'm sorry you had such a bad day, Zakie. You've plenty of reason to get "the blues", and your reaction was quite understandable. Allow yourself to cry, because tears are healing.

The baby will calm down and so will his mum and your mum. (Does your sister live with your mum?) You won't be a burden. Just speak up for what you need.

Don't worry about your ROM. Of course your knee can't bend while it is still so swollen, so concentrate on doing everything you can to bring down that swelling - with heaps of rest, elevation and icing, and pain meds on schedule.

If your surgeon is concerned about your ROM, just tell him that you would like a little longer before taking any other action. It's your knee and you do have that right.

I agree that sitting with your leg down in the car could have contributed to the pain you have now. Something upset your knee, but it will settle down again.
 
Sending a hug and hope your doctor visit went well. We all go through the tears - not sure when it ends. They need to make this the number one requirement to have a knee replacement "Lots of Patience Needed" because that's what it all is about. I understand your frustration with comparing with your Dad. At Physical Therapy yesterday I was next to an older woman than me... I she was bending her knee like nothing. She was 4 weeks out ... I'm 9 weeks and taking a degree at a time..96, 97.

Although not your ideal situation, how wonderful that you are able to be with your family to help you out. This truly makes us appreciate our caregivers.

Best to you :flwrysmile:
 
@zakmick dont let any pt bully you into reaching a specific number. I have been slow to get get rom. Was only about 80 when I saw my os @ 6 weeks. He was fine with it. Now at 12 weeks I am 110 and 105 still slowly increasing. MY pt is more than happy.
 
@DebM she hasn't bullied me, just made an off the cuff remark yesterday saying we have 2weeks to get you to 90... it's actually the first time she has mentioned I needed to be a certain range. OS was so happy I was at 85 when I left hospital, so was just thinking out loud he would expect it around there it better.

Went to doctors and he referred me for an US- Doppler on my thigh. Radiologist said he thought everything looked okay, no call back from doctor so I think I'm in the clear. Doctor believes it could be a number of things that has caused the swelling, riding in front seat of car one of them (have ridden in back seat today). He has increased the strength of my slow release oxycodene tablets to help with the pain and to take endone every 6hrly.
 
You don't have just two weeks to get to 90. You have as long as it takes. Numbers don't mean anything, it's just a general guide PT and your OS go by. It is your knee and it's different than any other's knee. You can and should say no to a MUA until you give your knee it's chance to heal. It will only be a month old tomorrow! Please try and follow the activity guidelines that were left for you in post #2 of your threat. An increase in your pain meds should give you some much needed rest! How are you feeling now with this increase?
 
Oh gosh I hadn't even thought of a MUA..
slept 8 hrs last night... was bliss!! Doctor gave me some sleeping tablets which definitely helped last night. And finding a comfy position in bed. Everything worked
The increase in my slow release oxycodene is def helping with pain and swelling as calmed a bit today
 
You have a much better report today! It wonderful that everything is working for your favor! Now remember to not overdo it since you're feeling better. It'll set you back again. Buy the way, happy anniversary! Your knee is a month old today! But, it is still an infant, only 1/12 of the way through a year long recovery. Give it plenty of TLC!
 
Happy 1 month keeiversary! We made it through the first month! I'm so glad you got some good sleep last night and are getting the pain under control. As sistersinhim said, be careful not to overdo just because you feel better :) Here's to the next month of fantastic progress.
 
Hi @zakmick . I have been thinking about you and hoping you are getting along well at your parents'. Don't forget that you have people here who care about you and your recovery. Have a blessed day!
 
Hey ladies,
Sorry I've been AWOL, haven't been online much enjoying my stay at my parents and getting lots of hugs with my 6wk old niece, she is just adorable but has a cold currently, so needs lots of cuddles, which I'm happy to give.
I'm doing okay I'm seeing so much more progress daily now, have been doing short trips around house using one crutch, still two when I go out.
The knee doesn't like the car still resulting in stiffness and swelling, so needing to protect it more when travelling.
I see OS Tuesday. Flexion I think is coming along everyday, extension is hard one though and I know that takes more time. Swelling is minimal too unless it's not happy.
Still elevating and icing when in bed and even sitting on recliner, helps with aches & bone pain (it's so cold here currently, knee doesn't like the cold) and I think I'm addicted to it lol.
Still taking medication as prescribed but going down in strength on slow release oxycodene.
Can't believe it's 36 days today, and looking where I (we) have come from in those first few weeks. Never thought I would be out of pain again...time heals!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Keep writing about how much better life is since those first weeks! I'm struggling over here in week 1!
 
So glad to hear you are enjoying your visit with your family. It sounds like it is really doing good.
My knee doesn't like the car much either. I can get in and out ok but as soon as we hit a bump it lets me know.
It's so nice to be able to look back and see how far you come.
Enjoy the remainder of your visit.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Extension has been the hardest for me, too. It is getting better, though. I agree with sistersinhim that if you are going to be addicted to something, ice is the thing. No side effects :) Btw, there is nothing like little ones to cuddle with. I don't have any babies around, but my 6 & 8 year old nieces start my day with hugs and cuddles and I love it.
 
Hi All,

Well I'm back home now and even spent a night on my own, it was nice actually [emoji3]

I'm on one crutch permanently now (2 when I go out, more security) sitting in front seat of the car, putting washing on the line and just doing more and more each day.

Even took my 7wk old niece for a 15min walk the other day I pushed the pram (was very swollen after but no problem the next day).

Can walk unaided too. so do that around the kitchen where I can lean on benches if required.

Feeling better and stronger each day. I can bend the knee around 90 now and feel I could go further but my quads seem to be stopping the bend, still swollen in the thigh. I see OS tomorrow for first time so will show him that.

6wks today and I'm actually happy I had the op... pain is minimal and I'm not needing (or I'm forgetting) to take pain killers. I can actually see we will be able to do an IVF transfer in the next few months!!! Yay!

Extension still needs work.. PT showed me another exercise today to roll up a towel, place behind knee and lean then on wall (shoulders to hips on wall) good leg slightly forward and then press bad knee into wall, like you would on the bed. It's a nice stretch too.

I don't feel like I'm in a drug haze now either a few family/ friends have commented things I said or things they told me that I can't remember in those first weeks are giving us a giggle. It's good to smile again [emoji3]

Knee looking much better too, been massaging the knee plus running into the scar Vit E. 4 weeks between photos.

[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom