TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

It took a long while before I didn't think about my knee. The classroom/teaching is a hard job to return to after a TKR because you're on your feet so much. I had pain when walking/standing for a year or more. I recently started to build my walking slowly and that has helped but I'm not teaching so not on my knees as much in daily life.

The teaching is a hard job and being emergency I'm out on yard duty both breaks. So I'm constantly in on my feet for 6hrs. The walking Im finding is getting better since working with the myotherapist as apparently I was kicking my leg out which was causing hip pain plus the knee if I walked for too long periods. Getting to know all about body mechanics from this op [emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
Hi Katy! Happy 6 month kneeversary. Doesn't it seem like we have all been dealing with this much longer? I know it's now a bit different for me since I had my 2nd knee done, but I feel like it has been forever. I am scheduled to be back on the substitute list the first week in November (12 weeks for #2) and I am already thinking about all the standing. I hope it just keeps getting better for you.

I had never heard of the therapy you are having now, but it sounds wonderful. I'm so glad it is working for you, I know it's been a struggle. Sending you hugs and wishes for each day to be better than the one before.
 
@sandi4213 if you can try this therapy I'm doing if you start to plateau you will feel great.

Does feel like forever on this rollercoaster.. we have term break here currently, two weeks off. Hopefully I'll continually get stronger. Looking like we are doing a round of IVF in October EEEKk, so doing what I can do now. X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, Katy, I will keep you in my prayers in October. I think you deserve a blessing. :prayer: Since we have 1 pt office in our whole valley, there aren't too many choices without driving an hour or more, so I will have to hope for the best :fingersx:.
 
Thanks Sandi. Just had a girls weekend with my IVF friends I met online 5 years ago, one with darker hair (I'm top left) just had her 40th that the the three of us flew to her state for. I walked up and down the plane stairs (woo hoo!).
[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread
My knee was great on the trip, lots of walking and party set up etc, just iced and elevated for maintenance.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Katy you are adorable!!! Glad to hear your trip went well :-)

I pray this round of IVF will finally work :prayer:
 
What a great picture! I can tell everyone was having a great time. BTW, I recognized you right away. :wave:
 
Hi everyone,
Long time I know in between updates. But I need some advice on what to do...Getting shocking ligament pain on the inside and outside of the knee shooting down to the calf (this wakes me most nights) crunching when walking, swelling a lot still and my bend has not progressed anymore think it’s around 110 but haven’t measured in months. I get an internal bone ache that shoots down from the knee to the ankle often and the knee is often warm. I can’t sit for long periods as the knee struggles with being in the bent position. Before surgery a bent knee was very comfortable for me as I couldn’t straighten it but now it’s switched. Less pain with it straight.
I’ve noticed with the warmer weather the swelling has increased.
I can go up and down stairs now but still need to think about it, it’s not a natural movement.
My lower back is starting to ache again as my gait is off again, but family has said they don’t notice me limping anymore.
Starting to wish I didn’t have the surgery but with that said this is different pain to before surgery. I’m back using pain killers and icing daily.
Surgeon said to come back for a yearly check up but I’m thinking I need to go earlier than march.
Am I being impatient? I stopped formal therapy months ago...I’m just depressed I’m still in pain.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues as well. (I updated on my page after to posted there). It's disconcerting to be so close to the year mark and still have issues. I personally wouldn't wait until the year mark to see your surgeon. As you know I went at about the 9 month mark and had a long discussion with him about what was going on with mine. I did feel better after speaking with him and seeing the X-rays and all.

I would go and see what he says for sure. He may have some suggestions for you like he did with me for specific exercises or things you could do.

This sure has been a long, long journey hasn't it :-(

Keep in touch surgery buddy :friends:
 
I agree with @flyaway79 , I wouldn't wait. I went back at 9 months because I felt I was slipping in my recovery. He diagnosed a couple of things that sent me back to PT and they fixed one issue (patella tendonitis - but we think it was some scar tissue she broke up on that incision area) and gave me stretches for the other (IT band)... Granted, this hasn't fixed all of my recovery... I'm still swelling and I still have heat, but it made me feel better. It assured me everything was okay "in there" with x-rays. I then saw him at my 1 year.

You're not being impatient. It's a long recovery, frustrating, depressing at times and just a heck of a recovery. Hang in there.
 
Thanks girls. Just frustrated. I’ll make the appointment tomorrow.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope you were able to get in for an appointment sooner rather than later. Let us know what the doctor says.
 
Wow it’s been 12mths today....and honestly I think I’m better than I was.? No that’s not true I know I am. I can straighten and bend my knee, can go up and down stairs but I’m still in daily pain. Still ice daily. Ice pack is on as I type. Not all day pain, just at the end mainly.
Still have a lot of stiffness, swelling, clunking, can’t sit for long periods without adjusting and long drives I’m very stiff at the end. Found out today it’s coming from my patella. I had an X-ray it looks fine but all the signs and pain spots are pointing to the patella not being a good fit. Surgeon and I are hoping that it will settle but will reassess in 6-12mths. He mentioned shaving more bone and putting more plastic on it but said it’s only a 10% chance of it being better pain wise.
I’ve started water aerobics and aqua Zumba (hilarious) and swimming, so fx it helps!!
Rewind 12mths I can remember a night from hell (awful awful nurses) but was so optimistic of the future. Currently a bit deflated. Need to look at the positives, I can do much more with it now than before. And I think knowing there is a reason for the pain has calmed me a little, I was thinking people thought it was in my head or I wasn’t doing enough rehab.
Also it’s been a tough year on the ivf front too...After putting our remaining embryos back in and no success, we have decided to stop trying to conceive. So I want my knees working so we can explore the world if we can’t have children. That’s not much to ask is it???
Here’s to improvement in the next 12mths, apparently it can take 2 years in some patients....hopefully that’s me.

Happy kneeversary @flyaway79 @debbyS @sandi4213 I’m hoping your anniversary is better than mine xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So sorry to hear you're still having daily pain. :sad: At least you have full function, which is important -- but being in pain is a lot to put up with. I pray you're right that more time will help. There's still healing taking place inside the knee.

My deepest sympathy on your decision to not pursue more IVF. It's a difficult choice to make. There's a lot of world out there, and a lot of ways to take part in it, so of course you want your knees to support those decisions. They are going to carry you into an amazing life!
 
Hi @zakmick
It's good to hear from you again.
I'm sorry you're still having some pain, but it's good to know that your surgeon is prepared to re-assess your knee in 6-12 months.

I'm really sorry you've had to abandon IVF. That's a hard decision to have to make.

My daughter can't have children and she and her husband had decided to enjoy a childless life together.
However, Fate had other ideas and soon after they made their decision, they were asked if they would consider being guardians for a little girl who was a distant relative of our son in law. They said "Yes" and the wee one came to them when she was 15 months old.
After she had been with them for 2 years, they were allowed to adopt her.
She's brought them great joy, but every now and then they think of the plans they had made to travel together as a childless couple.
 
I am sorry to hear that you are still struggling, @zakmick . I was hoping that the knee had settled down. Sorry, too about the ivf. I am glad that you are adjusting your plans and will be praying for better cooperation from your knee.
 
Awe Katy I’m sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues as well. I just posted my one year update on my thread. This journey we are on has become even longer hasn’t it :boohoo:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom