TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

I haven't seen my hairdresser since before the surgery. At first I didn't have the energy but now I really need a cut and color. Hopefully I can get it this week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, you are a different gender. We girls love to get a hairdo update!
 
It's great you got your hair done. It sure brightens up your life, doesn't it? I'm really sorry that the trip was so hard for you, but glad you figured out a better way to ride :)
 
Well the ride in the car has put me back a bit, feel like the whole back of my leg is bruised. Calf and quad quite swollen and even puffy ankle..
The hair looks good but not the leg :(
Starting to worry a bit about this ROM, 3 more weeks before I see the surgeon again.
Until yesterday I've had minimal swelling so have been able to do more exercises with it to try and increase ROM but it's just not budging, I think I've got it to 90degrees but it should be more...

I'm doing more around the house, still on one crutch though, I'm cooking dinner and doing washing with no ill effects, as long as I ice and rest too.
I know you're all going to say it will come with time but I'm getting impatient and frustrated.. not helping I've had two migraines (one today) this week, my period is due and Mother's Day always affects me negatively too with being unsuccessful at having a baby yet.
Sorry didn't think this post would go this way...
So very glum and just negative all round.
Anyone got any jokes to cheer me up??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad you were able to get your hair done! And don't feel bad about feeling down. Trust me it happens to all of us! My ROM makes me crazy! I try not to even mention it to my husband anymore.

For me I can elevate and ice and walk around the house a few times and not doing much at all and then next day I can do all sorts of things, stretches, exercises, laundry etc and it never seems to make a difference. Same stiffness and tightness either way. I'm just waiting for the day for my knee to decide it's had enough of this and start bending!

I know - patience :bored:
 
Hello Zacmick! Another Aussie - I've been looking out for one but hadn't seen any until now. I'm having a bilateral TKR on 25th May - only two weeks to go! Sorry you had such a bad trot in hospital with those nurses, but glad to see that you are moving around the house now. I've been busy reading all the good advice and interesting articles on this forum, mostly on the pre-op side. I'll set up a thread in the recovery one before I go to hospital. All the best.
 
For a smile?
[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread
 
Hi @Faele (fellow Aussie),
Look forward to supporting you soon! So brave to have bilateral TKR's, you guys are tough cookies.
Yes finally getting around, having majority good days now, which I thought was never going to happen.
Where are you in Aus?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@flyaway79 you just described my life currently.. my physio calls it reactive swelling...finally reached 90degrees today with the physio, haha she was so happy... I was too but was more annoyed it had taken so long. Keeps buckling a lot too, which I panic with... wasn't pretty when I was holding a cup of tea today, at least I was over the sink. Can't see this crutch going too soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ugh. The buckling. It's why I'm still so dependent on my Walker. The random buckling. I'm so scared I'm going to fall down the stairs one of these days.
 
Exercising is like a domino effect. You exercise, you swell and ROM goes down. With all you're doing around the house, you don't need to exercise. Swelling will go down when you stop all the pt and then ROM will go up on it's own. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. Patience, my ladies!
 
Well, we've known from the beginning that this is an up-and-down journey, but that doesn't seem to make any difference during the "down", does it? "Up", you have beautiful hair, "down", you need to spend some time recovering from the trip. "Up", I know your ROM will come if you keep moving in your life, "down", it is soooo..... frustrating waiting for it. Going forward, I know the "ups" will outweigh the "downs". :)

I've never been good at jokes, so I can't send you one, but I can send lots of hugs and good wishes......
 
The buckling is awful when it happens! And my swelling seems to stay the same no matter what I do. :tiredwheel:

But I'm still icing and elevating everyday.

Patience :bored:
 
My swelling totally feels like it hasn't changed at all. No matter how much I ice & elevate. The knee is just always tight and hot.
 
My swelling totally feels like it hasn't changed at all. No matter how much I ice & elevate. The knee is just always tight and hot.

That is the most frustrating thing about this for me too! Overall I feel good! My energy level is great. I'm sleeping good and eating well. Just that darn tightness and stiffness in the knee and quad area.
 
@jenszoo and @zacmick: that buckling happens to me too and totally catches me off guard. I wonder how long we will have that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As your knee heals, it'll get stronger and that buckling will slow down, then stop. Keep you walking assistant close by at all times. You don't want to fall!
 
Back
Top Bottom