Guest viewing is limited

TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Yes, your body is using energy to heal the knee and so it could use a break from the PT to heal the rest of you. :)
:zzz:
 
I can't see pt for 10 days while at my parents, so this would be the last session with her till I get back home...I sort of feel I need to commit to today. I'll see how I go in an hour or two and the reassess ....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I won't hurt you at all to miss 10 days. Your knee will do a lot of healing then and be more ready for pt. Will you be taking care of your parents those 10 days?
 
No they're taking care of me and my sister is moving to my house (hubby is overseas for work). Was going to be too much with my animals to do it all on my own, also means I get company.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Get some sleep when you can and enjoy your stay with your parents.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It will be good to be with your parents!
 
I've started to turn a corner I think (oh gosh I hope I haven't jinxed myself) with the knee. The quads are kicking in, I'm getting around easier and the pain is settling. I think the best thing was following 'all of your advice' and just resting, icing and elevating and letting my body do it's own thing in its own time and no PT.

Just had a shower standing up... I'm exhausted but it was much easier than sitting on stool with legs hanging out door. Less water to clean up too lol

The infection is clearing, not coughing as much and body aches are minimal. I started vitamin D tablets too, help with mind and body.

Feeling happier in myself [emoji16]




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zalmick, That is great news! You have had such a tough time of it. You sound better. Don't over do it but so happy to hear you are feeling better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're headed in the right direction! So glad the infection is clearing up!
 
@zakmick I am so happy to hear that you are doing better! I've been thinking about a shower standing up, but have been afraid I would run out of energy half way through :) Since it went well for you, maybe I will try soon. I share my shower with others, so I have to have someone drag my bench in and out each time, so it would be nice to not have to wait for someone to be available. Anyway, I am really excited about things turning around for you and pray that it continues to improve from here.
 
The first time I had a shower standing up, I was so tired that I had to sit on a chair to dry myself. Make sure you have something handy, so you can sit down afterwards.
 
@Celle I used the shower chair to sit on to dry myself, was glad I had it there


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Make sure someone's there with you before you try standing up just in case you need some help.
 
Hope everyone had a grand Easter and nice little break with friends and family.

So tonight I moved to my parents for the next 10 days while hubby is overseas for work.

I got here though and became very emotional, completely overwhelmed. My 6wk old niece was crying as she had had her first injections today (poor bubba) and wasn't happy. My mum, her mum (my sister) and my other sister were doing things for her and I just sat there and thought... I'm going to be a burden.

Also leaving my nesting place, where I was in a rhythm with things and hubby not really wanting to go overseas and me not wanting him to go... it just got too much. They didn't see me crying to hubby (I tried not to in front of him either) which made him not want to leave even more (which I knew it would), going to miss him. Geez sookylala!! [emoji24]

Today wasn't the best day either my thigh (calf and ankle no swelling) has swelled over the past couple of days and is so achy, really uncomfortable, making it difficult to lift, bend, walk etc. Tender in buttocks, hamstrings, groin and quads.

Physiotherpist measured it and it's 4cm larger than my left. I'm booked in for doctor in the morning to get it checked.

Trying to elevate as much as possible (and still icing 90% of the time) but I have a nerve issue I think from my lower back (noticed past week) that is causing numbness to go from hip to toes when elevated down back of leg, even happens when it's flat at times..any other suggestions on what I could do to elevate? Tried different ways but I don't seem to be able to avoid the numbness.

I can't pinpoint anything to cause swelling, except the numbness/nerve pain. Although one new thing is I have been sitting in front seat of car now and not legs outstretched across back seat which is so much better, but that isn't a big bend and doesn't cause an uncomfortable stretch of the knee or thigh. Did 5 straight leg raises last Thursday but none since as my quads still need to get stronger to keep leg straight, if it was this exercise I should of known sooner, yes?

She also said I have 2weeks to get my knee bending to 90degrees, I'm around 75 (was 85 when I left hospital) I know I can and have got more bend but the swelling limits the bend and it always seems to be more swollen when pt visits!

Getting a little worried that I'm not going to be past 90 degrees when I see OS on May 2nd or that I'm not progressing like others... I know we all heal at individual rates but it's hard not to compare.

My dad had a partial knee replacement at 60 and he (stupidly) was walking with no crutches to go to toilet from d4 after op... my scar is twice the size of his too.. it just goes through my head I'm 20 years younger than he was.. I know mine had more damage and was a total replacement so I really shouldn't be comparing but again it's hard not to think but...

It's just 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards again. I know it's the marathon and not a sprint and feeling down because hubby is gone and I've had to move to my parents but just having a recovery just SUCKS day.

Tomorrow is a new day and I'll dust myself off and put my big girl panties on.

Thanks for reading the essay.. feeling better after venting too [emoji846]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can just imagine how hard it is to lose your hubby, home, and "nest" all at once. You get to where you start to feel some kind of new "normal" and then it all changes again. I'm so sorry, try to hold onto the fact that it is a limited time and you will be home again. I don't know as much as the experts on this forum about muscle pain, etc. but I don't think riding in the front seat of the car did it. I'm glad you are seeing your doctor to have it checked out. I am pretty sure that your problems with bending are directly related to all the swelling and pain. Hang in there and it will get better. BTW, I am sure your family is happy to be able to help and don't consider you a burden :)
 
You know you can't bend much when your leg is swollen. Your doctor knows that, too. He's not going to be unhappy with you. If he is, it's his problem, not yours. As we all have said so many times, it's your knee and nobody else's. Your knee will bend when it's ready to bend. Don't obsess about it. It just makes you anxious and that doesn't help your healing! Take each week as your knee does. It is in control for the next few months or so! And I agree that riding in the front seat with your leg down is causing the pain now. I was riding in the back seat for about 6 weeks.
 
Back
Top Bottom