THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

When I had my first THR, I remember reading of some gals who traveled across the world to meet (I'm not kidding). I thought that was wonderful. We can try to plan a bonesmart field trip, couldn't we?! Hahaha. Hey, ya never know :dancy:


This is true,, we just don't know,, it COULD happen!
 
Happy Valentines to all of my fellow hippies and kneesies, too. :loveshwr::roseshwr:
We are having a very cold and blustery day here but the sun is shining and that makes everything better.

So, I am at almost 8 months! To be specific, I am at 7 and a half months plus 3 days. :heehee:

I feel great.. Not a perfect 100% but close enough to really rejoice in my decision to get that mangy right hip taken care of.
I am walking about 2 miles at least 4 days a week and using my recumbent bike on the other days. Plus am back to a very full schedule at work, which can be pretty physical.

About the only time that I think about this hip is when walking and I realise it's gliding along like a finely oiled machine.

I occasionally will get muscle cramps in the inner thigh area. They are nasty! I've had them for the past 4 years, ever since I had lefty replaced so I am beginning to think and accept that is spine related.
I have compression fractures in L1 and L2 with resulting stenosis, so will consider pursuing that sometime in the near future. Maybe.
My thoughts are to continue to enjoy my year of healing and see where I'm at when I arrive at the anniversary of my LTHR.

Stay patient and grateful that we live in a time where joint replacements are so successful and can give us our quality of life back.
 
@CricketHip Another stellar report! so happy for you that this one has truly been a Piece of Cake (almost)....

Sorry to hear about the aches and pains possibly stemming from your back.... it's still pretty early on. Even now, I have different aches resolving. One in particular was the muscle/tendon/who knows what - the inside of my knee was bothering me on and off for a while and has just now resolved. I hope that happens to you.

Enjoy this Sunday :snow:
 
Happy Valentines, to you, too, a little belated.

Glad the hips are functioning well. Sorry about L1 and L2.

I know I improved by femur bone density, by wearing a weighted vest, adding some rolled coins to my purse and placing it on the other shoulder, using my thighs to push difficult doors open rather than my arms, and back, etc. My doctor was quite surprised at the new density test.
 
@VSlowLife My fractures were one of the injuries sustained in a car accident when I was 17.
I basically received a whiplash injury to my spine.. hence the compression fractures.

What you said is similar to what I've discovered,, my bone density around those fractures has improved slightly and all I can figure is that I've improved due to switching from a job that required a lot of sitting to doing bodywork which has me on my feet and pressing through my legs and torso for several hours daily.
I don't have pain, it's more of a nuisance at this point. Like the leg cramps.
I will eventually pursue it, but for now I am content to enjoy the continuing improvements and continue to resume my walking and exercising. My cramping is, so far, small potatoes. :egypdance:
 
I see. So sorry you were in an accident so young. Glad your compression fractures have become somewhat better with time.

@VSlowLife My fractures were one of the injuries sustained in a car accident when I was 17.
I basically received a whiplash injury to my spine.. hence the compression fractures.

Like the leg cramps.
I will eventually pursue it, but for now I am content to enjoy the continuing improvements and continue to resume my walking and exercising. My cramping is, so far, small potatoes. :egypdance:
Small potato issues, are manageable. A good way to think about it.
 
Hello Bonesmarties! :wave:

So, I'm in my 8th post op month and feeling pretty much back to normal. I just wanted to touch on a few things that are bothering me.

My feet! I've discussed this with Fit4Family, Ceezee and a few others and commiserated with them on the various adjustments that our bodies are experiencing but my feet!
I tried to cheap out and buy my usual brand of fitness shoes but they weren't helping my situation at all.
So I returned to my trustworthy The Running Place (store) and had them fit me properly with a nice supportive shoe.. in fact, I bought 2 pair. They felt so much better, more supportive on my feet! So much so that I wore them the entire day and took two walks and guess what? My feet apparently needed some adjustment time.. :gaah:

But after a few days of tempering my activities and wearing time of the new shoes-- things are beginning to feel much better again.

My worst fear is that I have arthritis in my feet. I can't even imagine how many miles I put on those feet through the years, I ran track in high school and continued to run/jog and enjoy 5 and 10 K's for many years. Plus my work puts me on my feet a lot.

But for now, I am going with the theory that my body is still adjusting to my new hip and to my 4 year old hip and new and improved gait. :dubious:

I am unable to work, like many of are not able to work. The good news is that will give my feet some rest, the bad news is.. I am not working and am self employed. Add to that-- my husband has severe coronary artery disease and was scheduled for a stent and roto-blation for this Friday and it's been cancelled. I'm not so certain that I would consider his surgery an elective one.

But we will try to be careful and optimistic that after several weeks the hospital will figure some things out. This is why it is so important for us to do our part. stay out of public places and flatten the curve and take the pressure of of our medical teams and institutions.

He had an exploratory catheterization last Friday, the first day of lockdown in our area and the hospital was in complete chaos.. so maybe it's a relief that he isn't going back on Friday. I am guessing that is why they didn't do the stent while he was already on the table?

So, if your joint replacement surgeries are being cancelled, let's try to see the bright side of things.. and continue to support each other here, where it's safe. hugs to anyone who continues to read my thread!!


[Bonesmart.org] Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday to you!
I’m sorry this has affected your business. I do hope you’re able to relax some during this time away from work. Prayers for hubs protection as he waits to be re-scheduled for his procedure. I hope you both have a peaceful day @CricketHip
Hugs :friends:
 
Hello @CricketHip Happy Wednesday!

I am so sorry to read about your business. Especially sorry about your husband’s health and postponed surgery. Hugs sweet friend.

I can truly empathize with your feet. I am worried mine is arthritis too. Don’t have it in any joints yet, but by reading symptoms has me worried. I am hoping it’s balance. My crazy thought is that my feet and knees are working hard to do the job of my lazy core and glutes. Might just be overly optimistic but have seem improvements by walking on carpet barefoot and really focusing on pulling my body up over my hips. Kinda pulling my stomach in and standing tall, No shoe has become my answer yet, but have tossed a few that were too cushioned.

I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Hope he gets an answer soon. Please keep us posted. xxxxx

Hopeful everyone can be responsible and flatten the curve. Seems like everyone around here is listening as very few on streets or for that matter outside.
 
Keeping you and your hubby in our thoughts and prayers. Try to enjoy the time off as best you can. I might have to break down one of these days and but one of those shoe stores to get fitted. I do have some arthritis in my feet and some AVN in one of them. Shoes have been a major issue for me for years.
 
@Elf1 if you do break them in slowly. :dubious:

Actually, I wore some of my funky clogs yesterday for a couple hours, I think that is what riled up my feet again. But just in case I am limiting everything!
Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.. it's all good.. There's plenty to do here at home to stay occupied.. IF I want to do them.. :heehee:
 
Last edited:
I am very sorry your husband's procedure was postponed but as you said if the hospital was in a bit of disarray it might be for the best. At least you both can try to relax at home and wait for things to settle down a bit. :console2:
 
These times are so unsettling for everyone----even for those with no health issues. And when health and economic issues start piling up it's really hard to stay upbeat. Yet you manage to do exactly that @CricketHip!

Most likely you are experiencing the snowball effect of all the things you mentioned. In that case, doing a "reset" will hopefully settle things down. And maybe when you think you have it under control.......give it an extra day or two to be sure. ( Don't pull out those clogs again!) :heehee:

From what I am reading, until they are confident enough people have honored social distancing and that curve has been flattened, it's unlikely they will do any surgeries other than acute needs ones. Also, with all the sick people going to the hospitals for testing, touching things, etc. it's probably not the safest place for people like you husband to be. I sure hope he can maintain until he can have his surgery done.

What a stressful time for you.....thank you for all you do on the forum to support others while you are also dealing with so much. Kudos to you for reaching out and letting the forum members support you as well!:loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Prayers for you and your husband, Cricket. This is a crazy time, but hopefully things will soon settle and life will begin to return to normal (whatever normal is). In the meantime, keep up with your positive attitude and try to enjoy the break.
 
Thank you, Hippie friends!! The more we thought about it, the more relieved we are that his surgery was canceled.. there's a reason for these changes, and we will accept and adapt gracefully.

It's the best that any of us can do, right?

@Debru4 - those clogs are now in the donation pile!! After giving it some thought, I realized that those clogs did this to me before! They are a very soft, squishy material and obviously they are too soft for my huge, boney bird feet!:chuckmarch:
Back to the hips, I am enjoying getting in to a yoga routine again.. gentle yoga and mostly gentle stretches. ?they feel so good and it lifts my mood.
Has anyone else researched and noticed the many and various youtube videos to help guide you?

It's a great time to do so.. one of my colleagues just taught himself how to crochet online. He posted a great picture of the blanket he made for his little daughter.. so stinkin cute.
 
I receive an inspirational piece from the Daily Om. They also offer a wide variety of online courses that you pay whatever you can afford ($15, $30)--very inexpensive. I've taken Chair Yoga, and How to Overcome Body Stiffness since my hip replacement and really enjoyed the Chair Yoga.

Today I did some polymer pottery---a project I've had the supplies for, for over a year and never gotten to. So, like you, I hope to spend some of this upcoming restricted time doing things that are good for my body and my soul.

Have you ever worn Jambu shoes? I have multiple pairs---cute and good support in a shoe that isn't an athletic type of shoe. You might want to look online if you aren't familiar with them. I tend to buy mine from either Amazon, or Jambu, but they sell them in Macy's and other places as well. I learned while teaching for so long that having good supportive shoes made so much difference, and that was especially true when I was recovering from my back surgery, and my hip surgery.

Hope you and your husband are both doing OK! :loveshwr:
 
Another shoe to look at is Algeria. Lots of hospital staff wear them, they have tons of different styles, most have a very slight rocker type bottom. So comfortable! They were the only shoes I could wear before my spine surgery without wanting to scream at the ends of the day. I also have some arthritis and AVN in my feet and these are the only shoes that seem to never give me sore feet.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom