Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
@busylizzie Sounds as though you are in good spirits -- I can only imagine that large a group of patients in one room with all the snorts and excitement. Our single or shared rooms seem to be positively boring.
WOW :wowspring: on the walk --you are one amazing lady :roseshwr:
 
I'm gluten intolerant and I think I had salad and omelette every meal sometimes with cheese, for my 8 day NHS stay. I can't eat the gluten free ice-cream and jelly either that is offered on the NHS as the alternative to something and custard!
You'll enjoy being home eventually. :friends:
 
I complained about the food today and got a positive result. No jacket potatoes today and wheat free bread promised for the morning. :yes!::yes!:

Good day today, walking again x3. Vertical straight leg lift, yipee and 40 degree bend. Consultant and physio I saw today were over the moon about it and very surprised considering what I'd been through. Have to work very gently on the bend. Asked consultant for ice and he said yes,but whether I get it is another matter.

Looks like I'll have to have a line put in. Canulas are only lasting 12hours before collapsing. I'm like a pin cushion on my arms, I've lost count on the number of doctors and anaetheists that have stabbed me today.

Hope it is a quieter night tonight I need some sleep. Pain is being managed some of the time. Pain nurse is off sick today
 
@busylizzie the pain nurse can't be off! :nah: That's just wrong. I hope you are feeling better. Sounds a bit better. prayers,
~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith, pain nurse doesn't work on a Wednesday and then was off sick today, so if she isn't back tomorrow it will be Monday. I won't let them take the epidural out until I see her and they agreed, but it might happen now.

Bowels are giving me problems and need sorting, I keep asking!!!
 
Glad to hear things are going reasonably well so far. You sound remarkably perky! Hope it continues, but don't be surprised if you have some not such good days. As you well know, it's a roller coaster ride you're still on. It would be so much easier if we knew that it was going to be plain sailing once the surgery was over, but unfortunately . . . .

Keep up the good work - gently! Thoughts and prayers still with you. Linda x
 
@busylizzie No worries on answering posts. Just know we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you are not in considerable pain. I worry about the pain nurse not being back for so long. You are very courageous. It will get better.
~hopefaith
 
@busylizzie , I hope you are getting your pain medications on time, sending positive thoughts your way.
No worries about posting, we all understand you are just beginning your recovery.
 
Good to hear some positive news. Take care of yourself and I hope pain and other issues will get better soon. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
 
just now catching up on your thread. Sounds like the knee is doing ok, but the hospital experience is eh.
 
Hi @busylizzie so glad to find you....I was looking everywhere and then found your thread at the end of your signature!!!!! Meds make you loopy....

I'm glad to find you doing ok....let's hope this is it for you!!! Hope they get all those niggles sorted for you soon

Take each day as it comes.....everything is crossed for you xxxx
 
Hi @busylizzie I'm glad you're op has gone well but oh my goodness, the care in our hospitals over here beggars belief. I just read about the pain nurse. Never mind her, the ward doctor can prescribe and sort out your pain. Don't let them fob you off. I'm disgusted to read about this. It's so wrong.:holysheep:

However on a lighter note, please take care, I honestly am so glad you're okay apart from the pain issue. I wish you a speedy recovery and I'm thinking of you xxx :flwrysmile:

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Can't get rid of this emoticon I've selected in error. It will have to stay. Have been having internet problems at the hospital.

Somebody was looking after me Friday night when I really needed it.:angel: I was in severe pain and people supposed to fix it never turned up Thursday and Friday. My IV lines are mostly blown now and nobody could get a
Canula in. Then an amazing thing happened, they were short staffed Friday night and had co-opted an advanced practioner on to cover the shift. His specialisation being athroplasty and associated pain management. A very practical man who is above a nurse an below a doctor. I was told that my epidural had to come down at 10pm due to there being no support at the hospital for the weekend. He acted quickly and managed to persuade them to let me keep it. He then worked on the pain and tried a special bandage to make my leg go cold. Unfortunately I didn't tolerate it and he had to remove it. Then he put a wrung out cold towel on my leg -bliss.

He then sorted out my meds and said he would get the anaesthetist to put two new canulas in. Suggested I took a sleeping tablet and he would take care of me all night. He was true to his word as I found out from my bed buddies. He came to see me multiple times during the night and refreshed the cold wet towel. I woke up 5 hours later feeling great. He read my notes and said that I'd definitely gone through the mill. Unfortunately he went of duty in the morning before then anaesthetist came. He came to my bedside unannounced , looked at my notes and went off towards the nursing station at top speed before I could say a word. I thought he'd come back but no. No canulas, but he did authorise the epidural to stay.

I'll write part two soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@busylizzie I am amazed/dismayed in what you are going through. I am so happy you had the advanced practitioner last night. I SO want your pain to be managed. Do you have an advocate with you who can make a real fuss about how uncomfortable you are? I was unable in the hospital to say what I needed. It was so strange to be drugged, but unable to say my pain was 9-10 out of 10. I am praying and thinking of you. You WILL get through this very difficult part. I hold that with you right now.
~hopefaith
 
Busylizzie,
Sorry you are having such trouble with pain, and happy to read that someone came to help you over the weekend. Tomorrow is Monday and I hope more help is on the way. I know I was so happy to get home and have control over my pain medications. Hope you go home as planned this week.
I am almost at 8 weeks and feel I have finally turned the corner, I hoping for the same for you.
Take care, and remember Rest, Ice, Elevation, and Medication on schedule are your best friends.
I know you are in a ward, I had a private room, not sure either is the best, I was a little lonely, and you have a little too much company. Must be a happy medium somewhere. How great to get feed back from bed buddies and know you were being well looked after.
Take care wishing you all the best.

I will tag @Jamie to remove the teeter totter emoticon for you in post #417
 
@busylizzie I am really glad you received some relief and a good nights sleep - pity you didn't have any handcuffs you could have handcuffed that wonderful man to your bed :heehee:
It is so sad and frustrating that your anesthetist cannot act in a professional manner like the advanced practitioner. I am just left shaking my head at this treatment and can only hope it improves immensely for you and that you can receive some more consistent pain relief...
 
Part 2

I still have ongoing problems with the canulas or lack of it. It took almost 3 hours at pain level 7/ 8 to attempt to get antibiotics in this morning. They kept denying it had a problem. Boy did I have a tissued swollen arm and needed ice to get the swelling down. I have no canulas for next dose in the morning. Medical staff come back on tomorrow morning , Monday.

On a very positive note I now have 47 degrees flexion and the physio can see no reason why I shouldn't achieve 90. I want more but will have to wait and see. This is definitely the best op so far in terms of outcome and have no trouble walking with crutches. I am bearing much more weight on left knee with no problem so far


Now waiting for culture results to come back. If everything is OK there is a possibility of home on Tuesday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom