Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
@busylizzie You have been on my mind a lot today. Saying prayers for you. Your Mum. Ohhh it is just SO hard. My Mother passed this past October. She was 91! And I miss her SO much. I felt the last 5 or so years I was losing her bit by bit. It really was hard. I just want to pick up the phone and talk with that dear woman and tell her all that is going on. How are you doing with everything else? Many dear thoughts coming your way.
~hopefaith
 
48 hours of antibiotics have done wonders on the bite. I think Cinderella may well be going to the ball. Here is a picture of it now, much,much better. I still feel rubbish on the antibiotics, but they are doing their job. Glad I went to the docs when I did. The swelling has gone down loads since this morning. Still a hard lump in the middle. I've got another 6 days to go before the op. I suppose I'll still have to ring tomorrow and let them know about the bite and the antibiotics.
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
Yes, I think you should still ring. It's making progress, but I think your OS will want it to be completely cleared up before the big day.
Fingers and toes still crossed for you! :angel:
 
I've made the call this morning, but only got through to the receptionist. They are going to ring back. The bite has gone down more, about the size of a penny now but doesn't look angry. Still feeling very rough on the antibiotics. I've just noticed I'm on double the normal strength. At least they are working.
 
So glad the antibiotics are working. Fingers crossed for you today!
 
Eventually got an answer after ringing back after 3 hrs when no one got in touch. Probably OK since no open wound and swelling almost gone but I have to ring back on Thursday afternoon with a progress report. Nurse said 2 extra days could make all the difference. Bite is even smaller now almost half the size it was this morning. Now appears that there were 2 bites very close to each other. So fingers and toes crossed again. On Saturday I really thought it would be cancelled, glad I went to the emergency doc when I did.
 
Abx, really work fast! Looks like you are on schedule for Monday, Yeah!
There is a photo of my spider bite on Pg 11 post 212 in my thread. The link to my thread is in my signature.
Abx cleared mine up in a few days.
 
I just wanted to say all the best for the 2nd of June for you. I have been reading your thread with great interest as I too may be heading for a two stage revision (+++ pain, reduced flexion ~70 and bloods suggest infection) I'm just waiting for biopsies via arthroscopy for definite answers.

I will keep following with great interest (fingers crossed bites are cleared unready for op) and as I say all the best for a good outcome x

Shortie x
 
Wishing. you the best for your up coming surgery. Will be remembering you in my prayers. I look forward to reading all about your recovery....
 
@busylizzie checking in to let you know you are in my prayers. I am sure the anxiety is tough at times. Peace to you. You are very courageous. We are all holding you in our hearts. <3
 
Hi All, the bite continues to go down, but the antibiotics are still making me feel very yucky. I feel worse for some reason when I lay down, they give me digestion problems at night. I'm waking every hour or so after struggling to get off to sleep. I just feel shattered all the time.

Not much longer to wait now. I'm not at all worried about the op, only the outcome, whether it will fix the problem. I've had so many ops in the past 10 years I tend to take them in my stride.

The spacer I think is getting looser, hence why I'm in more pain when I move. Still that will be resolved soon. I'm looking forward to a brighter future and being able to do some of the things I haven't been able to do for a while. I know that my knee will never be perfect, but at the moment there is plenty scope for improvement. Thank you all for your kind thoughts they are much appreciated.
 
@busylizzie Have you tried elevating the head of your bed --sounds like acid reflux or other irritation from the antibiotics. I have to eat yoghurt when I take any. Best wishes. J
 
@Chihuahuan, thanks. I have an electric adjustable bed. I have limitations how high I can elevate the head section, which I do already, due to the straight left leg. It somehow puts more pressure when laying on my back, on my heel pressure point. I've had problems with this since November. I have a special mattress designed to reduce the pressure.

I already take a consultant recommended prebiotic daily. Only 3 more nights with the antibiotic.:yes!:
 
I rang the hospital this afternoon and asked to speak to the pre-op nurse I spoke to on Tuesday and told me to ring her back today. She isn't available today? so I left a message that my leg had gone down since Tuesday and gave my contact phone nos at the receptionists request. No one has come back to me, so I assume everything is OK. I have to ring the ward tommorow evening (pre arranged) to get last minute instructions for Monday and find where I am in the op list. I should be first as I'm diabetic.
 
5 days now on the antibiotics, bite has gone right down but is still visible. The emergency doc said on Saturday that I have the option now to continue with the antibiotics or stop them if the bite went down. Part of me wants to stop due to the yucky feeling they are giving me, the other says keep on them to make sure. I think I will continue with them, I couldn't cope if it comes back.
 
I've been taking a prebiotic on the advice of one of the gastro's team for quite a few years. Over here they get you to stop all herbal/ supplements/ and some natural remedies about a week before surgery, so I haven't taken any probiotics but have still been eating live yoghurt. Fortunately I'm experimenting taking a new NICE approved drug for my colon problems at the moment and have stopped the sodium picosulfate laxative. The sodium picosulfate works using the bacteria in your gut, so when you're on antibiotics it doesn't really work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom