Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sleeping much although I'm shattered. I've read two novels over the last few nights. Sleep seems to come easier around 2 to 3am. I'm hoping it will eventually settle down. I've never been a good sleeper but this is bad at the moment. My fibromyalgia is beginning to settle down but the left leg isn't great. I still think it is due to movement within the spacer region. Whilst in the shower this morning I could actually see some movement occurring. Not long to wait now to the op.
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
That's such good news that it's all systems go for 2nd June. Yippee!! Hope you get all the answers you want when you see your surgeon on Friday. Thinking of you. Linda x
 
I'm beginning to have a lot of 'what ifs'. I know I shouldn't be thinking that way but I am. I'm now into single figures of the days left to surgery.

Yesterday's visit to the surgeon has perhaps set it of. He is going to use a hinged joint made out of titanium with a titanium nitride coating with a polyethylene spacer. The stems are going to be 140mm long. But he is going to cement it in. That I think is what is worrying me. What if I react to it? He has discussed it with the professor guy that the tissue samples went to and they agree it is the way to go. Yes I did show some reaction but they both say go with it. I know my surgeon doesn't like uncemeneted knees. His secretary says she hasn't known him do any in the last 10 years she has worked with him.

I have had this massive lump of cement in me now for 6 months and the swelling and warmth aren't at the same level now as they were when it first went in. I guess I have to just go with it and keep my fingers crossed. What he did say was he didn't what to mix the metals hence both parts of the new knee are made from the same metal. The nitride coating provides a harder more scratch resistant surface to the titanium. He reckons my ligaments will be shot hence the hinged knee. No brace after surgery but he is going to keep me in bed for a few days and I'm having antibiotics in the cement (same as in me now) and antibiotics after the surgery. No bone grafts required which is good as I've not been tested for any reaction to them. He reckons recovery is doable but will take time. He said I wouldn't be like a 16 year old again. I wish!

I've had my current pain validated, he reckons the spacer is loose. I've thought this for a long time. He said originally that I should have been able to fully weight bear on my left leg but I've never been able to. He said about my last op to take the tissue samples that he removed quite a lot of sample. My wound was glued and it has had to heal outwards as the glue did not hold it together. He is not using glue any more. Nylon stitches again this time.

I wish I felt better about it but I still have this feeling about using cement. Perhaps I'm paranoid now after all I've been through. He said that he would send me the tissue sample results.
 
Sounds like everything is on schedule for your surgery on the 2nd, and the OS and tissue expert are in agreement about the cement. Glad they are sending you the report on tissue sensitivities, hopefully it will reassure you.

I understand your hesitancy with the cement, it appears though your knee has calmed down since the first stage, and the continued pain and inflammation are because the spacer is loose.

I admire your courage in facing all the challenges you have had with your knee, the foreign material sensitivities, having a loose spacer, and going through 2 revisions.

LaPaz who had her second revision a year ago posted an update yesterday, she is doing well, and recently took a trip to Asia. She did say her recovery has been long and she has to listen to her knee.
Here is a link to her thread, post 118 is her most recent post.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/my-saga-of-a-hopeful-happy-ending.18244/page-6
Sending positive thoughts your way,
 
Thanks @Pumpkln I just think maybe I'm getting paranoid about it. He said again the only other alternative is a permanent fusion. I would rather have an amputation.

I can actually see my leg bend now at the knee level. No wonder I'm getting pain and the nights are bad. I can lay a little on my sides now and if I prop it up on a pillow it feels better. On my back, even with my brace on it feels as if it wants to straighten out. Not much longer now to wait.

I got an insect bite on the top of my left thigh on Thursday which came up big yesterday.I was wearing trousers when it happened. I've been smothering it with a topical corticosteroid cream called betnovate that the dermatologist gave me. I'm allergic to the bites. When I was having one of my arthroscopies I had a similar bite on my non operative leg and the surgeon said if it had been on the other leg he wouldn't have operated. I'm panicing about that also and I'm monitoring how big its getting. If it isn't getting any better soon I'll be off to the emergency doctor I don't want it developing into cellulitis.
 
Yikes, I know how you feel about the bug bite, a spider bite me on the back of my TKR knee last fall. I went to urgent care and was put on antibiotics. It healed up and I was fine, but boy was it nasty looking.
Don't waste any time having it seen if it is not clearing up ASAP.
Normal to be nervous and have the jitters before any surgery, just keep resting, icing, elevating, and medicating.
Getting better a little each day, like the tortoise we will get there.
 
Leg swelling more, I have an appointment with out of hours GP in 20 mins
 
Thinking of you and hope you are okay @busylizzie. I was paranoid too and that was for a regular tkr not a revision. I am glad that Pumpkln can give you the advice and support of someone going thru what you both are.
 
Just back, looks like I was heading for cellulitis. I have a weeks course of antibiotics. Flucloxacillin, I have the least side effects from those compared to the other two antibiotics offered. Ugh!

Hopefully I will be OK for surgery on the 2nd. I think I'll have to let the hospital know next week. I can't get in touch until next Tuesday as it is a bank holiday on Monday. Please let the surgery go ahead, I have waited so long!
 
I am so glad you saw a doctor. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Xoxo JoAnne
 
Fingers (and toes) crossed for you, @busylizzie ! :angel:

I hope the Flucloxacilin does its work quickly. You have time for the full course before June 2nd.
What a good thing that you went and got something for that infected bite!

Yes, you must let your surgeon know on Tuesday. This operation is so important that he will not want to take any chances. Hopefully, by Tuesday you will be able to tell him that the antibiotic is doing its job. If not, or if he wants to be cautious, an operation deferment is better than another infection in your knee joint.
 
Fingers (and toes) crossed for you, @busylizzie !
Me Too!!!
I had all sorts of problems, electrolytes mostly, and almost had to have my surgery delayed. This is :censored:to go thorough!
When your friends as how you are doing, this is how your face looks :dubious:, Just Fine NOT!
 
Thanks all. The swelling has started to go down now. I feel yucky on the antibiotics, very spaced out and nauseas. I hope they work in time. I think I will have to have a sleep this afternoon.
 
@Celle they haven't ever found an infection. They suspected one but the aspirations and blood tests always come back negative.
 
Something l forgot to say about Friday. I mentioned again that my right leg is shorter than my left and would this op make this worse. He said he would prefer it the other way round and said he could shorten my left leg as he was using a hinged joint by 1 to 2 cm. I might end up with 2 legs the same length and then I could forget about heel raisers :wowspring:
 
Almost 24 hrs on the antibiotics and the sickness feeling ebbs and flows. One moment I'm feeling not too bad then it hits me. I'm 1/2hr off the next dose and my leg has started swelling and itching again. Early days yet. I was thinking of where the tourniquet goes but the bite is higher up than this about 3 inches below my hip bone. If the surgeon saw my leg now I know he wouldn't operate. Let's hope it gets better soon. I will have to ring on Tuesday as my admission for surgery booklet says I have to if 'I have a skin infection or a broken sore area of skin'. The skin luckily isn't broken, but is inflammed. Doctor said to stop the corticosteroid cream as it wouldn't help but I may try it again. It was taking the 'angry' look off the bite yesterday.
 
I use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) cream and occasionally ice for bug bites. I certainly hope it recovers soon.
 
Chihuahuan, Benadryl and other antihistamine creams don't help. Ice does and that is how I managed to get some sleep on Saturday night. The wonders of a natural remedy, I think its my best friend. The bite is slowly going down and less angry looking, but is still very hard in the middle . I only started reacting to insect bites when I defected to the other side of the pennines from Yorkshire. Perhaps I should move back. I've tried to get a picture of the bite but I can't seem to get a good one. Hubby is going to have a go with his posh camera at lunch time.

The antibiotics are still making me feel very sick and upsetting my digestive system. It gets worse when I lay down. I don't feel all there! Still if they do the trick..... it will be worth it.

At the moment I think it maybe a goer for next Monday if it continues to improve. I won't know until I ring tomorrow. I'm dreading that, I won't be a happy bunny if its cancelled. Today it is the 6 month anniversary since the knee was removed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom