Guest viewing is limited

THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys , I think I am
Doing really well now and my pt insists I stay on the cane truth be known I am quite comfortable on it now and it is an excellent whacking tool for those that require it :)

Guys can you please help me understand when the ' burning sensation on my thighs and knees I have at night might dissipate?

Josephine you are our heavenly guru , I am sure you will say calm down its only 9 days post op!!! :) but I am only on panadol and panadeine forte because all meds freak me out in other ways, I am continuously icing but still highly annoying when I just want to sleep !

Thankyou in advance xxx
 
Wow, stargirl, you "sound" so much better. Great report! Can't help you with the burning sensation, but I agree the icing when trying to sleep gets annoying. However, it worked so well for me, that I would repeat that protocol in a heartbeat.
 
Hi Jamie I was wondering of you could plead post my latest updates in this thread as well as January jackpot thread as it details where I am up to now post op? Thankyou for everything you have been amazing !! :flwrysmile:
stargirl I'm not sure what you are asking me to do. Your updates should be in this thread as it will be your "official" recovery thread going forward. The January Jackpots thread is really for pre-op and we don't usually put post op information there.
 
Guys can you please help me understand when the ' burning sensation on my thighs and knees I have at night might dissipate? I am only on panadol and panadeine forte because all meds freak me out in other ways. I am continuously icing but still highly annoying when I just want to sleep !
Well, part of the reason for this - post-op pain - is because Panadol (paracetamol) and Panadeine (paracetamol and codeine) can be somewhat inadequate for a immediate post-op pain. How much of each are you taking and how often? What strength of codeine is in each of the Panadol Forte tablets?
 
I stopped the cane around three or four weeks. Im standing taller also. Did you notice the stability on your operated side. That was almost as food as the decrease in pain pain for me. Ttyl!
 
Hi stargirl,

I'm sorry I haven't posted to your thread earlier, but I haven't been posting much since getting on the other side.

I've read through your journey, and you've had a tough time. All the vomiting and constipation, poor girl. I think we use a lot more drugs in the US, as I never vomited, and posted somewhere else about the bowel blaster med. They put me on Dexamethasone the whole time I was in the hospital, and it's like oral prednisone. You feel great when you're on it, then crash when it stops. My worse thing has been thigh pain from the stem.

So, sweetie, can you describe how the burning pain feels in a little more detail? It may be residual pain from the Anterior approach. They stretch the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous nerve during the procedure. Usually the pain is temporary. If it's that, it can start at the top of your hip, and go down almost to your knee. The width is from the middle of your thigh to the back. So, it's like an oval from the middle to back of your thigh.

Other nerves can be affected too, but most of the time they get better - it just takes time. Glad to hear you're getting up and around with a cane. I miss the fast healing, as I have a bunch of staples on my hind end this time, and I'm meeting my milestones a little slower. But my problem was a loose stem that didn't have anything to do with the Anterior.

I'll be around more as I feel better, and I've been curious about how you're doing. I think you'll be better and better and hope the worst is over.

Happy Healing,

T.H.
 
Hi stargirl,

A little light reading for you :) regarding the burning thigh pain (Meralgia paresthetica) you have mentioned..

The nerves in your body bring information to the brain about the environment (sensory nerves) and messages from the brain to activate muscles (motor nerves).

To do this, nerves must pass over, under, around and through your joints, bones, and muscles. Usually, there is enough room to permit easy passage. But swelling, trauma, or pressure can narrow these openings and squeeze the nerve. When that happens, pain, paralysis, or other dysfunction may result.

A painful, burning sensation on the outer side of the thigh may mean that one of the large sensory nerves (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) to your legs is being compressed by internal swelling. This condition is known as meralgia paresthetica (me-ral'-gee-a par-es-thet'-i-ka).

Are these the symptoms you are experiencing?

Pain on the outer side of the thigh, occasionally extending to the outer side of the knee?
A burning sensation, tingling, or numbness in the same area?
Occasionally, aching in the groin area or pain spreading across the buttocks?

It may take time for the burning pain to stop... have a chat with your OS :)
 
Well said Poppet. I don't know how much to say, since I ended up with it permanently. And I want to focus on the positives. Most of the time the nerves heal. There are meds that help, like Gabapentin, but I don't know if they give them in early recovery. Stargirl, you may want to ask your OD if there's anything that can help with neuropathy. Lidoderm patches helped me on the side of my thigh, but you can only use on unbroken skin. There's various topical creams that can help, like IcyHot. Nothing can be placed on or near the incision but ice until it heals.

Stargirl, I have loads of experience trying different things, and have a pretty good idea of what works as time eases the pain. :) I'm more than happy to share, but will pray that it's temporary.

T.H.
 
Hi Jamie yep that's cool I will
Make my personal entries in this thread .

hi Vilebyrd thankyou for the advice I am sure as a result of my false bravado I am feeling a little too much burning sometimes but I cannot handle not knowing what each drug might do to me and am choosing to ice and pray the next few weeks are rapid!! :)

Josephine thankyou you are our rock and I am so greatful you somehow shine your torch on those dark days for everybody xxx
I will check the codeine in the panadeine forte and let you know. I make sure to have one before bed so I can get some sleep.

Hi poppet!!! :) thankyou for the explanation you are our encyclopaedia xxxx I rang the drs office as suggested and the receptionist insisted it was nothing and would subside after six week mark.

I will continue to show the nurse at pt .

Hi tired hippy!!! So great to hear from you when you have your own journey going on, how are your pain levels so far? Are you hypersensitive to drugs like I am ? Do you feel this burning years after your original procedure!??? That's not right , will this new surgery amend that? I pray it will sweet lady xxxxx

Well guys hoping it is just temp as I am 9 days only post op I guess well see .

Thankyou for your eternal support once again xxx
 
Hey SG, so GREAT to hear from you! I've been thinking about you and I'm so relieved that it went well. I am on my way to pre-op appt but will check in with you a little later. YOU DID IT! CONGRATS!
:yay: :yay: :yay:
Good luck Weezie - my date is Feb 22nd.
 
Thanks so much BionicWoman2! I really appreciate the encouragement. :)
Weezi
 
Come on SG, I was all ready to back out of the whole deal, uh ok I'm only kidding. I'm feeling really good about it. Well actually I am extremely uncomfortable today so I'm all "bring on the surgery today" state of mind. What are you doing for icing? Did you get a machine or are you using ice packs. I went on a crazy shopping bender and I'm afraid my husband will freak out because our room is going to look like one from a hospital. I may have to sell a kidney while I'm in there to pay off credit card. :wink: I am surprised you are on so little meds. I know I couldn't make it through with that. Maybe there is something stronger you can ask doc for to take only when you need it. Like break through meds. Seriously though, I really appreciate all the encouragement you have sent my way, it makes such a huge difference. Whenever I start thinking about the "what ifs" I think of you guys and the fact that y'all made it through. Also, I can't believe you moved right after your surgery. You give TOUGH a whole new meaning! I"ll check back with you soon, in the meantime don't over do it.

Your the best!
Weezi
 
Weezi: I'll be watching for your post op story. Do you have your own thread yet? The gurus here stress that taking your pain meds, whatever they give you, is key to stay ahead of pain. They put ice packs on my hip at the hospital, but at home, a frozen bag of peas (marked so you don't eat them) is great. I've never used the ice at home, though, except for pre-op, when I was in a lot of pain. I was high maintenance the first week I was home. "Needed stuff" I never thought of before the surgery. Kept hubby running errands!
 
Hi Stargirl,

No, I don't have trouble with meds, thankfully. I have a high tolerance from using narcotics to get through until this surgery.

What Poppet and I are saying to watch out for, is if you have Meralgia Parasthetica, which is a type of nerve damage more frequent with the Anterior approach. Usually you have a large patch of burning sensation from the middle to side of your thigh with a lot of burning pain. Narcotics don't work as well as certain other drugs, and I use a lot of topical treatments, which seem to do the best.

Keep me posted as to how you're doing. I hope this nerve irritation is temporary, but there are things you can do if it takes awhile to heal, or doesn't.

Best,

T.H.
 
Hey Hippy12,
Yes, I started a thread in early January but I have been bad about keeping it updated. I am so busy trying to keep up with everyone else that I've created a bad habit in not posting on my own thread. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I need to update it because I don't know how much time I will have or if I'll feel up to much posting in the hospital. The frozen peas is a great idea! The hospital doesn't use ice and the nurse gave me an odd look when I asked. So that's why I'm trying to find out what everyone else is doing. I plan on following the bonesmart mantra, I love instructions too. They keep my mental state in a better place. I imagine I will be high maintenance too but I plan on milking it to death cause I have taken care of hubby and kids when they were down. Now it's my turn. :yahoo: Thanks again Hippy12, I'm off to update my thread. It's titled "Finally joined the club".

Take care,
Weezi
 
Weezi I used Colpac reusable ice packs. I bought 2 of the biggest they have (something like 11"x21") because then I could wrap it around my hip. I was able to find it for about $25, although I have seen them priced much higher. Since I use it all the time, it is a good investment for me. I keep one in the freezer at work now.

Good luck, your surgery is coming soon!
 
nerdgrrl, Thanks for the tip. I have three of those now and they get cold enough just sitting out because I keep my room at 64 degrees, crazy but I just like it cold. I think I will need to put them in the freezer once I get home from the hospital though. How often did you ice? Do I need to keep it iced for hours at a time or just on occasion. Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Weezi
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
Weezi, there is no such thing as too much icing. Ice to your heart's content and beyond. Ice may very well become your new best friend after surgery.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom