THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josephine that link was to the knees, but I found the hips. We senior hippies shold know our way around the site :) One of the things bothering me is all the popping in my good hip, causing it to hurt. My pelvis doesn't feel aligned and bursitis is flaring. How is healing altered with a revision, when the joint capsule is already scared down and you've had bursitis and other muscle problems for a few years? It's not all bad - I can sit longer without pain, and the pain is much less than before. It's worse than a few weeks ago, but not like the shopping overdo pain.

I felt better aligned before, and walked without all this snap, crackle, pop. The Dr. did move the ball all the way into the cup. I had a +4 liner and the ball was about halfway out of the cup. This surgeon fixed that, along with using a modular stem to make other adjustments.
And the leg lengths are perfect. Is this my muscles adjusting to new lengths and offsets? Or do I need to go back to my cane? Or my Dr.?

Thanks Jo

"Speaking of which, since you've been through multiple surgeries like me, and are over 4 months out, I can ask you about this 2 month stage. I'm having new struggles. I'm cane free now, and the other hip is popping like crazy and started aching. I don't have overdo pain so often, but good days, then days I have no energy. I also feel like my old Bursitis is coming back dede62 You know how you can get chronic bursitis with Hip surgeries. It's a good thing we're "springing" in my area, or I think the blues would settle in"

My other hip kept popping as well for a little while as well. However, as my op leg got stronger, the popping went away and hasn't returned. I really felt no discomfort when walking, start up pain, same side knee pain, and changing direction at about week 14 (almost a month ago). The fatigue will also start to diminish as you get stronger because you're not having to work as hard and things just heal in their own time.

After last Friday's freak snow storm I'm looking forward to spring as well!

Hi my beautiful bonesmart friends, I am so so sorry I went AWOL I have been dealing with a hoard of surprise house guests for the last two weeks and it just has not stopped!!! It was all a great surprise but sooooo tiring !!!.

Happy to report I'm finally feeling closer to normal than I have in years ! :
Indeed when I go out for more than say a few hours I am icing through the night and currently trying my hardest to wean off painkillers taking up to four panadol ( Australia's lightest over the counter pain med) as opposed to eight a day.
I have one more Physio and then I'm done , I needed extra because of how bad I was pre op and the fact I had extra bone removed due to pvns .

I have come to grips with the pvns, surgeon has assured me five times that exocism ( removal) was the best treatment and we have certainly done this , I don't want to let the past or a pathology report define me so I moving forward and trying to enjoy the rest of this prwcious life and make up for those years in I spent in pain and sometimes reclusion .

I can't wait to go home although I think the family are going to milk me being away and continue to come down - it is free accommodation after all :)

HappyHippy I am sorry to hear other hip is achy, I did have this and can sometimes have this when I overdo it and icing always takes it back to normal for me . What did the X-ray say on your other hip ? I know mine does have a little athritis but I am going to have try and take weight loss seriously so I can see if I can preserve hip for as long as possible .

In conclusion guys living life again and eternally greatful to all of you that got me here xxxxxx
Thankyou xxx

Hi there stargirl

It's been a while since the two of us have chewed the fat as it were. Great to hear how well your recovery is moving along. You sound very chipper and upbeat. I guess with most folks on BS, time moves on and normality creeps back in to our lives leaving us less time to give updates on our progress. I'm certainly not as prolific as I was in the early days post op and I must admit there are a few friends I've made that I really miss, but life goes on and most people lead exceedingly busy lives...........All of which is a good thing of course.
Unfortunately I've been going through the mill with my new hip. I have a similar ongoing problem with my first hip and no one seems to be able to get to the bottom(Scuse the pun)of the problem. Both hip replacements are good and solid, it's a soft tissue issue. I'm only 46 and I'm not overweight. I'm not a gym bunny but I'm not a couch potato either. I cannot understand why the muscles supporting my hips are so weak. At 3mths post op I can't walk for longer than 1/2hr without being in pain. I struggle getting up from sitting and going upstairs is very painful. I'm also still unable to lie on my operated side as its toooo painful. With my first hip I went to see all sorts of professionals and a few 'off the wall' practitioners in desperation, no one could give me any answers. It's been very frustrating. I have been feeling very sorry for myself and totally empathise with anyone whose journey hasn't been textbook. It's very disappointing. On a positive note I am a trier and refuse to give up hope even if my poor husband has a dribbling, teary mess to deal with every now and again! Thank goodness for my lovely man.
I'm off to see my OS again soon as I'm wondering if like HappyHippy I'm suffering with bursitis.

So sorry to offload on your thread when you are in such a positive place.

I've been thinking about you a lot and I'm so happy that your positivity is helping you move on from all the worries you had.

Keep on keepin' on lovely girl.

Lotsa love

Queenie xxx

Queenie My LTHR was a little after yours. I cannot walk for an extended period of time without the use of my cane. My hip also, does not feel strong enough to support me. I do balancing exercises at PT and I have a hard time balancing on the surgical leg without holding onto the bar occasionally. I cannot lie on my surgical side either. I try, but it becomes sore and stiff. I think there is a whole lot of healing going on inside and that it is just going to take time.

Hi stargirl glad you are finally getting the recovery you deserve. I'm better too. Seems like the popping is getting a little better, but swimming is better than walking at this point. And I mean that from an endurance standpoint. I'm increasing walking w/o a cane and had a pretty good walk yesterday after my swim. Don't have the issues with overdoing as long as I'm sane.

So I think most of our lIttle surgery group is doing pretty well: we're slowly losing our sticks, and getting our strength back. It's easier to shine like a star or be a happy hippy when you start feeling like yourself again. Or in many of our cases - much better than we have in a long time.

Onward we go!

HH

Queenie,

Your pain doesn't sound right to me. I think you're close to the rest of us in weight and physical condition, and younger to boot! Did you have any congenital issues before the Hip Replacements, girl? Having both done so young makes me think that you didn't wear them out. Or there's lots of types of Arthritis we can have. I can't sleep on the surgical side, but probably never will again, but that's from cut nerves.

My bursitis is not bad now, but it is a vulnerable place for hip replacements. Overdoing can make it flare, and once it does, you don't want a chronic case, so rest and ice for a couple of days.

And remember, I didn't have my cup done, so I have an advantage. Stargirl had an Anterior, which gives you a jump out of the gate if all goes well. I've been cane free inside at least a month. Also started swimming a month ago. And still in PT 1x a week. A full posterior will take a little longer, but it seem like all of you are still pretty close.

But Queenie, I'm not sure what's slowing you down. It can't be easy to have 2 hips! I can't even imagine going through a surgery one the other hip, although many here have. Maybe that changes your recovery schedule. What did your OS say at last check? Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Mbone I'm glad you're feeling like stargirl and I. We're finally able to say the surgery was worth it! I've always felt that way, but we have bumps and pot holes on our paths that make us wonder sometimes. Then Wha la, we start getting our life back. The pain lessens, and we feel good :). Then we go tell the newcomers that they'll see that day too, if we have time to stick around.

I better stop. But I've been feeling like one of the flowers, waiting to bloom. Spring is a good time to be recovering, and I'm catching the fever.

hi HappyHippy

Sorry to post my story on your thread Stargirl but didn't want HH to think I was ignoring her!

No probs other than OA. My OS hasn't actually looked at my scar and sore rump, in fact he hasn't examined me at all since my op.........Mr Super confident me thinks! To be fair he does know his onions......He helped design the Exeter Hip which is very popular world wide. I still think he should've had a quick peek though.
I'm beginning to think that I'm an extremely slow healer. I've reduced some of the exercises I was given as I felt they were just compounding the problem. I'm going to wait another couple of weeks before I think about seeing my OS again as I do notice very subtle improvements every now and again.
We all heal differently and I guess I'm just going to have to be a little more patient than most.

Thanks for your reply

Queenie xxx

No worries Queenie I'm concerned that you aren't doing a little better is all. Bursitis is a possibility, and we always check the easiest things first. Hope you're feeling better.

stargirl... Great to hear from you and that you are feeling better.. Sounds like recovery is right on track...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562