THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou poppet , one day at a time ...

Have a wonderful day beautiful lady xxx
 
Hi guys three weeks post op tomorrow and had my first real outing other than a random coffee with my husband at the mall, well hiring a wheelchair for the first time and having an over zealous husband race you in and out of shops is one way to go crazy!!!
I don't want to ride backwards in a wheelchair ever again omg!!! Nearly stacked it because shopping bags got caught in the wheels , cut long story short I think I'll wait another couple weeks before we try that again :) hopefully I wont need chair for long and cane will be fine next time?. I just didn't want to risk any backwards decline in my recovery by over doing walking hence the chair escapade :)

Had a great day overall nothing like retail therapy and realizing how much you missed home when you return!! Best thing of all my pain managed to stay at around 2/3 out of 10 at worst amazing!!!!

But nervous about when pt will try and steal my cane , they are cleptomaniacs there and always stealing crutches, walkers or something or other off there patients forcing upgrades to strange new items :) the strangest will be my little legs being utilized again, actually I'm 5'11 so ginormous legs :)

Best thing has been some weight loss now I'm more mobile around 10 pounds and determined to lose a few more to try and salvage other hip and have a good strong healthy existance , I endured enough of feeling weakness and pain and this is our time now.

My fondest wishes to you all for a pain free wonderful existance xxxx
 
Ok 21 days today and yes I feel less pain than pre op which was some days 8/9 out of 10!!. But I'm really over being trapped indoors and having this blasted cane still as a necessity. I read the post that our lovely Josephine provides re post op blues and unmmm.... that's exactly me right now word for word. I am wondering if I did the right thing even though in my heart of hearts I know the alternative was bleak to say the least and I likely would have ended up in a wheelchair from the pain.

As the article describes, it's not just the three hellish weeks that's got to me it's the months of pre op angst , years of pain and missing out on life and now another few months or whatever it is of difficulty a d reliance on others which I'm totally over.

My greatest fear is that this paranoia of prosthesis loosening or wearing out and having to ensure this all over again , when is normal going go happen :( sissy46 I think I need you on this one ..xxx
 
My greatest fear is that this paranoia of prosthesis loosening or wearing out and having to ensure this all over again , when is normal going go happen
SG, remember the literal hundreds of thousands of knee replacements that are done globally and very, very few of them end up with any significant wear or loosening. Why exercise your anxiety with something that will probably never happen? That's a bit like being scared to cross the road in case you get hit by a bus - which, incidentally, happens far more frequently! And there's not point is letting yourself get stressed out about using a cane and not getting out and about yet. You are only 4 weeks out - you have quite a few more to go yet but the good news is that each week you will find things improving a little bit at a time. Why don't you keep a diary and note down everything you do, feel and accomplish every day, also how your pain is. After a week or two you will be amazed at how far you have come because we do tend to forget that. The memory is such an unreliable thing.
 
Stargirl, you need to chill. You are making great progress and you'll be getting more and more independent every day, with, of course, those times when it is two steps forward, one step back.

I empathize with you, because I can see myself in your posts. I was anxious and impatient, and I really did expect to be all done at 4 weeks. I did get to go kayaking at 4 weeks, but what I did that day was a far cry from what I had been able to do before, and I found myself wondering, "what if this is as good as it gets?" which is a ridiculous thing to be thinking 28 days after surgery as major as this. I seemed to reach a slight plateau every couple of weeks, and then more progress. And even if that was as good as it got, it was still soooo much better than pre-surgery.

I saw my OS on Friday last week, and I told him I was perfect except for very slight stiffness the first couple of steps after driving some distance. The very next day, I drove 2 hours, then paddled 5 hours, then drove 2 hours home---and not one twinge from my new hip. And nothing since. It feels just as good as the nonoperative one. Solid and stable and pain free. Great range of motion, and now I can do those straight leg lifts without a tiny twinge---but who needs 'em?

You know (I believe Josephine looked into it for you) that you had a really good surgeon and hospital, so forget about rare complications that are so not going to happen to you. Sounds like you also have a really good hubby, although perhaps challenged in wheelchair driving.

What I'm thinking is, for you, it might be time for some Haagen-Dasz! As I said, SG, chill....
 
Thankyou my beautiful girls xxxxxx you catch me always when I fall and for this you have my eternal gratitude.

sissy46 my husband and I laughed our heads off at your description that he is challenged , the guy really is dangerous!!!.
You are both so true in your words, I think I need that appr with the OS to allay finally these fears once and for all.
In the meantime you have both enabled me to get through these difficult days xxxxxxxx thankyou
 
Hey stargirl

How's it hanging? This isn't the Stargirl I've come to know and love. You are feeling a frustrated which in turn has made you question every decision you've made and then worry about the future. I agree with sissy46, you need to chill and accept that you're not going to run this race as fast as everyone else......But that by no means makes you a loser! I'm 3wks ahead of you and I've been putting myself under unnecessary pressure like your good self. Yes I get down days because it is very frustrating but the next day will be a good day and so it goes on. I think keeping a diary is a great idea because you will be making progress....you just can't see it.

You are a very positive person and having a few days when you feel a bit flat just makes you human!! Don't worry about it. Just go with it, there's actually nothing wrong with feeling a bit sorry for yourself. Don't forget that this op effects you both physically and mentally(and we're all a bit mental on BS!!).

I predict(Gypsy blood remember?), that you'll be pulling up your positive socks very soon and thanking the universe for giving you something that's gonna change your life in the most marvellous way.

Keep your chin up lovely girl.

Lotsa love

Queenie xxx
 
Isn't the human brain wonderful - within weeks of surgery we have forgotten the pain we were in (8 or9/10, stargirl!) and get frustrated at our limitations now even though things are so much better. I am now 11 weeks out and looking forward to this summer when I should to be able to go out on our boat and do so much more than last year ( or the year before and before that......).
I agree about the wheelchair - my beloved would go fast, then stop 6 inches too far forward for me to see the things on the shelves so my neck started to ache! And the shopping trolley that clipped on the front was too small for a big shop, it was piled so high I could not see in front of me! Once was enough.
You have only only got to read different BS threads to realise recovery is not a straight line graph - ups and downs, plateaus, even 2 steps forward, one back at times especially when we push ourselves a bit too hard. I am very tired this week after grandson's christening on Sunday and having other family staying for the weekend, so I am taking things easy. For the first time in weeks I have no appointments (hospital, doctor, PT, dentist, optician - life gets so exciting when you get older!) so I can rest.
Sit back and enjoy the love and healing thoughts coming to you from all over the world!
Anne
 
Stargirl, you are doing fantastic, Nannyannie is so right. We all suffer so long, and then at 3 weeks, we are frustrated, blues hit and we all say the samething, I WANT IT NOW:hissy: , but that feeling comes and go's and in the long run we all know that this is great. I still marvel at putting my sock on like a normal human being, silly me.
I thinkg I saw a newscast the other day from Syndney, where they said there was a man in a shopping center terroizing a woman in a wheelchair and tearing down all the displays. They had to send the police and rescue to assit the woman captured in the wheelchair, that wasn't you was it?:)
 
Stargirl,

We do have our ups and downs. Funny, I dropped into the 3 week funk Monday, and am finally breaking it. Some friends of mine dropped by with dinner and we watched the State of the Union address together. Was nice to have the company.

I overdid it bad over the weekend. And paid for it. But a few days of lying around with iPad and HGTV helped. My pain had gone up too, so you might be overdoing too ... Maybe :angel:

It's the way recovery goes. It isn't a straight line, but a roller coaster. Be careful you don't drive too fast (like wheelchairs).

And you did the right thing having your hip fixed. Imagine being in pre-op pain, with it only getting worse. I wouldn't choose that, either time.

The 4 hours of bed during the afternoon were a great help, so give yourself permission to spoil yourself for a few days. I bet you'll be doing a lot better Friday :)
 
stargirl, I have found two avatars that I thought you might consider using. They are already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested them. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". The click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done.

[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
If you are not interested or don't like these, that's fine. My feelings won't be hurt.


Try to stop thinking the worse and put your energy into thinking positive thoughts. Things will get better and better. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Those are really cute, bottomshollow.

I was thinking about stargirl, because I had a lousy week. Don't know if I overdid, or had other problems. Just haven't had energy, and pain's been higher. It hit me at the 3 week mark, so I don't know if that's normal. Healing is more like a dollar coaster than a stairway ... but that's for others, right? I've had a bumpy week too, as I can see by my previous post here.

Aren't post-op blues something other people get :)
 
OMG love it bottomshollow thankyou!!!! xoxoxoxo If you were here in Aus i would come give you a big kiss!!! xoxoxo This made my day!! and because of your beautiful gesture and all the amazing friends and family i have on this glorious site and i am going to have a great day today and force myself to get dressed and head out of my little 70m2 unit to encounter the human race and embrace it slowly once again :)

The avatar is who i need to be and i will be reminded of that each time. You ahve the most amazing graphics Bottomshollow, did you study art or graphic design ever? It was my fantasy to be in graphic design, didnt quite get there but thats ok i hang in museums pretty regulalry. Actually dont want to scare you, but next week im pretty sure i will have to go to a museum for stimulus again, and i think i will have to hire a chair..........:rotfl:

Hi HappyHippy love dyour post thankyou so much for your honesty you knwo i want nothing else :) xxx i think we get so frustarted because the progress appears to be so gradual but in actual fact if i am truthful, the level of immobility and declined physical state i presented to my OS in was ptitiful and this is already an improvement.

bellaroma sooooo funny!!, my crazy husband is still laughing and mortified of having to ever wheel me round again, the man is so unccordinated in driving!! :groan:

Nannyannie thankyou for the reality check, i read your post to my husband and he could not agree more and we both thankyou. Yes the human mind is our most powerful commodity x

Queenie god i would love to share a cup of tea with you, and some days a rum port :) I think you knwo me better than i know me xxx

sissy46 had a 'skinnycow' ice cream for you last night, would have gone full fat but have about 15kg (30pounds) that should not be there! Im chilling today :) xoxoox
 
Hi there my beautiful Aussie Stargirl.. I love your new Avatar, Bottomshollow is so wonderful at finding just the right image..

I need to catch up with you to see how you are doing.. soon ... Hugs xx

p.s. normal is normal for you hon and only you.. slow and steady, remember :)
 
Avatar is perfect! I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Me too. Maybe there's a 3 week blues. I know there's the post-op blues, but I started working out so soon, so hard that I had an Endorphin rush early in my surgery before. PT starts tomorrow, and I wanted some time to heal before working out hard this time, and I'll still take it slow.

The 4 walls can close in on us when we're almost at the point of getting out, but not quite. It's amazing how we expect to be doing better, but then count the days and go, "oh yeah, it hasn't been a month (or whatever timeframe) yet! I hit a month in 4 days, but I had it in my head that I should be doing better last week. I'm driving short distances, and can walk unaided, but it isn't pretty, so will keep the cane for now. Point being: I was doing pretty darn well. :kittykiss:

Where are you at with walking? We're so close that I like to see if we're hitting the same milestones. And being honest is a blessing and a curse. My family is very stoic and I inherited that. Probably all the English and German blood without the Brit's wry sense of humor. I don't know if Germans have as sophisticated a sense of humor, but they do know how to drink!

Stay happy :)
 
I called it the one month slump! There is certainly a time when all the joy of having the surgery is behind you and the day to day recovery starts to get very boring. Keep posting so that you can look back and see you are actually progressing!
 
Ok guys what's with the knee/buttock pain on op leg that insists on popping up to like a 4/5 out of 10 ?. I know it's only four weeks post op but I never has this pain prior , I can already see the answers PATIENCE!!! But can anyone please tell me if they had other aches pains pop up around this time ? I am thinking it is likely due to muscles now active that have remained inactive for so long and the fact I am no longer inverting my foot to attempt to walk straight .

I am on the cane but only really commenced cane on discharge which wa 30/1 so I think I have got at least a couple of weeks left on cane given my hip was in such a bad state when I went for op. of course I mentioned pain in knee to my Physio and immediately the response is we have drugs for that .. Omg!!! What a chemical world we live in! I am not anti drugs when unequivocally necessary like post op pain that we could never likely deal with without the meds they deliver, however i am too frightened to say I feel anything in case they get the good old prescription pad out and my personal experience is one drug leads to another and that is not an option for me particularly given the various reactions I am prone to .

Any similar tales I can hear to comfort me? Thankyou guys xxxx
 
Hi Stargirl,

I hurt on top where my Anterior incision is, and also deep in the buttocks too. I'm trying to cut back on pain meds, but the pain hits about 4-6 in the afternoon. My pain was lower 10 days ago. Then again, if you go watch a video on an Anterior, you can see why you hurt. Scar tissue is forming, then pulling apart or remodeling as we walk.

Right now I'm lying in bed with a heating pad on my back, and ice on my hip, fighting the desire to medicate out of the pain. I share your fear because I was taking strong narcotics to stay active the 6 months before my surgery, then they upped them even higher. It's going to be a long road to get off. I wanted to be down to pre-surgery levels at one month, but without water exercise I'm going to have a tough time, and my Dr. wants me to wait 6 weeks. Water helps me more than anything, so you may want to try it when you can.

I agree that it's mostly muscular, and they're adjusting to the prosthesis and just healing. We're more active too. All reasons this isn't the best time for us. I think we'll be doing much better in a few weeks.

I'm using a cane because it feels like I may have leg length discrepancy. It really hurts if I walk unassisted. We'll see. If I have a lift, it's still better than before, and try to remember, you too will be better than before, if it isn't already. This just isn't a fun stage like all of us at one month are finding out. And actually, you're little over 3 weeks so be kind to yourself.

And come here and whine, as there's a few of us kinda feeling the same way right now :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom