THR Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I watched my favourite shows with the ice packs on and my feet up on the bed bliss. Just wrapped it in a towel so it wasnt too cold on the skin.
 
Hi beautiful people, I owe the world to each and evey one of you, in fact I promise you I was such a scaredy cat that had I not found this forum I was planning to bolt from the hospital on op day :) I have never been great with commitment apart from my beautiful husband of 15 years everything else bores me :)

Anyways had I bolted it would have been the most idiotic thing I would have done in my life because as one of our precious members once said to me - sorry can't remember who I'm a sugar brain, 'where will you be in six months if you don't do this vs if you do!?!' well I can tell you I was lusting after wheelchairs in the lead up to the op :)

10 days post op and very greatful and happy to report no real 'burning' on my knees and thighs today, I had a good day of rest yesterday and I think that's just what I needed, in fact instead of four ice packs I am down to just one now and it is my new BFF! :) I will take I've over drugs any day but then I am a crazy bohemian at heart who believes in mother nature . Although lets be honest morpheine can work its magic tricks for most if their not hypersensitive losers like myself :)

I am feeling so humbled by the hospital it's amazing staff and my miracle surgeon who they all rave about and I just flukes finding him on the Internet god bless google!! Lol :)

I am pretty fast on this hot cane and am already planning Europe in a few months because I need to please the gypsy in me - thanks Queenie xxxx

My pain levels have reduced so greatly just as the miracle doctors predicted I am only on panadol and am not sure what to do with my stockpile of neurogenic I had been religiously taking over last five years!!?!in fact I have started sleeping with my knees raised up which is what used to do 10 yrs ago per OA pain !!! My little habits are coming back just as my whole sky is reopening to let the sun shine through once again.


There is a big beautiful world out there to discover and if I had to endure a few lousy days of nausea and incoherence to discover it then so be it!!!.
 
Hi Weezi re the ice packs the hospital gave us two on discharge even though I hounded them for four! :) one for each knee and each hip , I just put them in the normal freezer and utilize only one at a time now, because I am early days I am using ice pack pretty consistently and rang my surgeons assistant who assures me this burning is to expected for around six weeks. Let me assure you this pain is not even comparable to my pre op hip pain which was 9/10 !!! This unlike a 3/10 and more just a nuisance .

I think we have to realistic and admit it is quite detailed surgery and of course muscle and ligament stretching is pivotal for the surgeon to correct what has been misaligned for such a ridiculous period - in my case a decade !!!

I am stoked ( this is Aussie for in awe :). With the results and am so proud and happy I had the courage and good sense to say yes to life !

You will be fine and pls don't waste your precious energy on what to take to hospital etc . They pretty much have everything including plenty of ice :) my only real necessity was my toothpaste , deodorant , shampoo , my glasses as I did not want to have hassle of taking contacts in and out , and a huge stockpile of nighties and trash Celebrity magazines to pass the time oh yes and my godsend was some bodies tip about boxer shorts instead of undies as they don't hurt the incision .

You will be out before you know it and you don't want to be lugging all back home agai. :)

I am sooooooo excited for you , relax , entrust (more than I did :). In the professionals this is one of the most commonly performed ops in the world, our ladies will be able to confirm how many I know around 26000 a year done in aus alone .

As my gorgeous nephew said to me ' it's not the surgeons first time !!' lol

My love and prayers and good wishes are with you , you are going to do amazing and each day will see micro progress that will in a few weeks or do equal a macro result!!!

Show us how it's done You Go Girl!!!!!!!!!!! Xxxxxx
 
Stargirl,

I'm so glad to hear the burning pain is going away. The Anterior approach is amazing when it goes well. Now remember not to get too crazy and let the bone heal in to the stem, but then again, I don't have a good answer why mine loosened. Looks like it was surgeon error and a mismatch between the stem and my bone shape, so not an everyday thing.

But you keep going as you are and you'll be vacationing in no time. I didn't realize you had years of dealing with a painful hip. It's such a blessing when it goes right. I know I'm relieved that my major pain is gone, as I wasn't sure it would work. I'm on a cane and occasionally walk unaided. Isn't it great!
 
Stargirl, we've all heard of runaway brides, but runaway surgery patients?? On the other hand, we could put you in a movie with Hugh Grant, and I bet it would be a runaway smash success. :)

So glad the sun is shining for you.

Sharon

Whoops...I'm mixing up my Julia Roberts movies. But Richard Gere, Hugh Grant, whoever....substitute the male lead of you choice.
 
Stargirl, sounds like you are doing wonderfully! I just noticed myself at work the other day walking fast down the hallway, without even thinking about my hip. That will be sooner than you know it for you, too!

Weezi Joining the never too much icing chorus... Especially for the first 2-3 weeks, I was icing and elevating any time I wasn't moving around. It seems to have worked very well for keeping the swelling down. Good luck, your day is soon!
 
Stargirl

WHOOP WHOOP!!.......You go girl!

Loving your positivity. So pleased to see your recovery is going so well.

Queenie xxx
 
Hey guys feeling stronger slowly and surely each day 12 dys post op and am very happy with how I get in and out of my chair and how comfortable I am with my cane nOw. Abduction exercise - one in particular where I stand on phone book with one leg and sideways swing a little the op leg is little painful as I has relatively no movement this way pre op , so I take it easy in this one .

Doing my ten min walk each day. However my Physio had indicated twice a day for these excercises, when I do this I am up most of the night with burning and some pain so I think I'm only going to do once a day .

As one of you lovely people said ' the tortoise won the race'.

I will need to take charge here And listen to my body that once only ten mins walk and one set of exercises each day .

Did anyone abandon their pt exercises any/most days and still have good results?

12 days post op is a ten min walk each day ok ?? Of course I just want to return to my old strength And a normal gait but I don't want to be up at night in pain !.

Very optimistic guys and still happy with recovery just need to be reassured that me winding down wont jeopardize my recovery

Thankyou to you all xxx
 
stargirl, I spent all day yesterday trying to finish work-related tasks. Fortunately, I am able to work from home but I am preparing for the fact that I may not be able to sit at my desk for awhile So I woke up this morning in work-related pain. :heehee: I told my husband I couldn't bear to sit at my desk again today. I know I am just mentally and physically exhausted from the struggle. I am absolutely ready for my new hip as I just realized yesterday that I can't even stand up straight anymore. I can't thank you enough for all your support and encouragement Stargirl! You have been a real trooper and an inspiration to me. I've talked about you so much that my husband asks how you are doing and what's your latest progress report. :yes:
My state of mind is so vastly different than it was before I met all the wonderful and brave warriors here. My appreciation is immeasurable.
:thankyou:

Hugs,
Weezie
 
Weezi I can totally relate the last couple of weeks pre op particularly without the crutch of NSAIDs I had become accustomed to over eight years , was terrible the stares I got from grotesque limping, I nearly ripped my husbands bad shoulder out from leaning on him like a human cane!!! This is when I realized how ridiculous it was I had not committed sooner!!!! I was a stupid chicken who could have had my life back years ago !!!! Oh well better late than never .

I can't wait to hit the mall for the first time trolley free which as my sister said was basically my walker!!! :) sly little girl I ambelieving I could hide my limp! :)

I am sooooo happy for you and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how relaxed the whole procedure is , hardest part for me was getting to the hospital on op day and not completing my runner like I w
Always secretly intended :)

I think you will be disappointed when you do awake because the sleep is soooo relaxing and beautiful and its like, is that it really!? In fact to make you laugh, I have had a small procedure done before - but that's another story , And both times now I Remember only hearing dance music in my head in fact this time it was bieber !! :) so basically I have a party in my head and the most relaxing sleep anytime I have a procedure lol

The only negative I truly had to report for me which is so individual for everybody and should not be your concern , was he couple of days of nausea I had from meds , which now seems like a really small price to pay for being virtually pain free and able to walk much further already than pre op !!!! Oh yes and the absolute joy of discovering old body language I had as a young girl sleeping with my knees up which is my sheer happiness !!!!
I can't wait to hear about your gradual progression post op and we must give it a week at least and then likely every day you will have your movements restored , of course everybody's progression is different but I believe when you have been in as much dehabilitating pain as you and I have for so many years , the joy of regained movement gradually is indescribable and the ultimate elation !!

Can't wait to walk by this beautiful Sydney harbour without ripping my husbands shoulder socket out !!! :)

Lots of love to you Weezi xxxxxxxxx
 
Stargirl, we've all heard of runaway brides, but runaway surgery patients?? On the other hand, we could put you in a movie with Hugh Grant, and I bet it would be a runaway smash success. :)

So glad the sun is shining for you.

Sharon

Whoops...I'm mixing up my Julia Roberts movies. But Richard Gere, Hugh Grant, whoever....substitute the male lead of you choice.


Soooooo funny thankyou sharonslp for making me laugh!!! I have done runners from a few things in life and I must say it was a joy to abandon them !!, thank goodness I did not commit to children sooner hey!? :)
 
Hi HappyHippy what a beautiful name change!! I am so overjoyed that your procedure is already so early on demonstrating its merits!! I know this will be the best thing you ever did !.

Thankyou for your honesty and support xxxx
 
Hi Stargirl have you tried reducing the number of repetitions you do but then try twice a day or split up the excercise a bit so you get some rest in between them. I found there was no way I could do the number my PT suggested but little and often was more benificial than all in one go.
 
Weezi, I used one of these recliners when I was working. I combined it with a computer tray table, and I got by that way. It really helped the pain, although I looked like I was lying down on the job. Since you work at home, you shouldn't get the comments and looks I did.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
    image.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 156
I was 12 when my hip got pulled out of socket and developed AVN. That was twenty three years ago. Im also starting to do old habits that i have been unable to do until now. This is so weird and great at the same time. Just taking a shower had become difficult because of the leg legnth differance, my bad leg was getting shorter by the week right before the surgery. We are so lucky to be getting back to the way we were meant to be
 
stargirl ,

I wanted to reply on your thread and not steal someone else's thread.

Love the compliments, but remember I'm the one who scared you to begin with. And they found that my problem was entirely surgeon error. You want the bone to grow in, but I've read some movement is needed to stimulate bone growth. As long as you aren't crazy you'll do fabulous. I was driving and swimming at 3 weeks, and doing everything at 8 weeks. Pain didn't show up until 4 months, but remember my stem was too small and malpositioned from day 1! It's not a common problem.

On the other hand, do I sit or lie around now and then. Of course, as we had surgery around 2 weeks ago. My leg gets stiff when I don't do anything, especially in the morning when I get up. But once I have coffee, I feel better and don't go back to bed. I sit much of the day, but get up frequently. I treated myself and purchased a ridiculously expensive Zero Gravity chair (pic below) because I'll always have a bad back, and other pain - and because I wanted it! I'd recommend one for anyone who hurts sitting. And I can adjust it to a lying down position.

We're gonna do well, and so lucky to be surrounded by people going through the same thing. This forum is a blessing, and I'm glad I met you. We're gonna rock for real soon. :egypdance:
[Bonesmart.org] Woooooohoooooo I did it!!!!
 
Hey SG, so GREAT to hear from you! I've been thinking about you and I'm so relieved that it went well. I am on my way to pre-op appt but will check in with you a little later. YOU DID IT! CONGRATS!
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Good luck Weezi. Will be thinking of you.
 
Hi my Aussie girl... stargirl just logged on before my mad dash to work and just wanted to pop on by and say good morning!

I will catch up with you tonight, but know that I am thinking about you and sending those healing vibes :)

Listen to your body... You are smart enough to know when to back off.. I am very proud of you... Hugs xxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom