TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jebsw,
If you don't have spine specialists there might you have pain management drs. That is who I see for my many back issues. I only see a neurosurgeon if they get so bad they need surgery.
My PM dr. does all the testing MRI,Cscans etc to diagnose the problems and then treats from there, he also has a PT right in his office if that is what is needed so they can supervise what is being dones.
 
Interesting idea, Rose. We do have those, though I'd still need to see my GP first. Sounds like I need to make an appointment to see my GP...
 
Hang in there Judy, and don't give up. I had forgotten about it, but I had pretty bad hip pain about 5 years ago I think. It was before I had a scope done n my knee. During that procedure my OS gave me a cortisone shot in my hip and it did help quite a bit. Maybe just a short term solution but if it helps the pain, I would go for it.

Hope you get relief soon!

Dawn
 
When I had the first cortisone injection in my hip (done under fluoroscopy) it was to diagnosis whether my knee pain was from my hips or knees. It ended up knees. I had a second cortisone shot when I had the manipulation. Did nothing. So I am figuring that this is mechanical and not inflammatory. (Like cartilage wearing away) but I believe I have multiple issues..and some of us do so just harder to diagnosis. I do think that we have to be strong advocates though to prevent our going through procedures that are not necessary but I will admit, I may bring bagels to the OS on Friday and bribe him for a new hip.
 
I'm actually starting to wonder if, as you say Merry, there's more than one thing going on. Maybe bone stuff plus sciatica? I definitely need to see a doctor. You guys have convinced me. I'd be thriled if cortisone helped; rather that right now than more surgery. I'm fed up with this recovery stuff. :wink: Thank you.
 
Made an appointment to see the OS on Monday, got in in a cancellation. That's sooner than I'd get in to see my GP anyway. I'll try to remember everything you've all told me. I like Dawn's route of a cortisone shot that's so effective I forget all about the hip for five + years!
 
On an unrelated note, looked in the mirror this evening and quite surprised to see I've got a black eye! Someone must have slugged me without my noticing. Too weird.
 
Sorry to hear abot your black eye :yikes: Good Luck with your OS. Lucky to get in so quick. Hopefully cortistone is the answer and not more surgery. Im with you on that one. Let us know how you get on. Have a lovely weekend and hope your black eye fades.:)
 
Wow Judy, that's not good. Was cute but useless kitty practicing to box on your face while you were sleeping?

Do take care and find the cover up!

Stay warm, it's getting so cold here, not really ready for this!

Dawn
 
Judy I have been having lots of hip pain myself. My PT said she thought it might be becuz of how I walk. But I am pretty sure its the sciatica in my case acting up. It sure feels like it! Ouch! Hope doc can figure out whats going on with you! Hugs!
 
Judy, I have had a couple bruises myself lately that I have no idea how I got them. It is that getting old thing creeping us on us.
 
I know I'm infinitely odd, but I kinda like the black eye. Never had one before. I tried out a story of a fight in a bar on my PT, but she just laughed. Must think up a more plausible tale. Cute but useless cat is a lover not a fighter, so that won't do.

About the hip, PT also said it might be because of how I'm walking now, but sometimes it's so bad I can't walk. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that on Monday the doctor says it will fix itself in a little while but in the meantime I can take a chocolate coated pill that will totally mask the pain. :)
 
Oh, forgot this.

February knee: 0 extension, 130 flexion (had been 133, but no biggie). August knee: -5 extension (seem stuck there), 132 flexion. :snork:
I'm doing 90 pounds on the leg weight resistance machine thingee (that's the technical term). :SUNsmile:
Wheelie chair scoots (sorry for all the medical jargon) are laughably bad. As in, other patients at physio are giggling at my attempts.
Balance board is almost not a challenge anymore in the forward angles.
Walking almost all the time without a cane. Limp mainly from the hip, though a bit from Feb. knee.
Still facing lots of challenges, but...
Getting better! :yes!:
 
Nanners,
Can you describe the sciatica pain for me, please? I'm not finding clear info on the 'net.
Thank you.
 
AND... I just climbed upstairs normally. First time in literally years! Did it without forethought, partway up before I even realized. :dancy:
A good day.
 
AND... I just climbed upstairs normally. First time in literally years! Did it without forethought, partway up before I even realized. :dancy:
A good day.
A very good day! I can't claim it was normal, my first 'one leg after another' climb downstairs last weekend as it was inelegant and involved a fair amount of grip on the handrail, but I did it without thinking too. I shouted so loud, my husband came running in a panic, thinking I had hurt myself. Then I sat at the foot of the stairs and cried...go figure...

Sue
 
Great that you did going down the stairs, Sue! I think I get how you felt to make you cry. I try to get my friends to share the thrill of a good ROM or climbing stairs, and they smile indulgently, but they just don't get how hard this is, and what amazing milestones these are. Doubly so, if like so many of us, it's been years, not just since surgery, since we've been able to do what most take for granted.
 
I'm back. Just needed some time out of my own head to get my head a bit straighter. :rolleyes:
So, things are starting to go well. I've been going to a chiropractor to help with the thoracic spine issue that was causing stomach pain, and which itself was likely caused by the new gait. (huh?). It's been helping quite a bit.

I'd mentioned how bad my hip was, and the chiro checked it out, said it too was referred pain from the back muscles, due to my new gait. It was so bad that I had also made an appointment with my OS. He too checked it out, said it was referred pain from my back muscles, due to my new gait. He suggested I see a chiropractor and also get massages. So reassuring! And the chiro does awesome massages. I was admittedly skeptical at first, but I really think the chiro visits are helping with the side issues that are cropping up.

So I am walking mostly without the cane now, without a limp if I concentrate, with a lot less pain, and with much better posture. It's feeling so good, so much better these days :).

The only worrisome bit is that the OS said he's still not sure about my return to work, if I'll be ready. He wants to reassess just before Christmas. Not sure why he's concerned. I wasn't concentrating on that at the time.
 
Judy, it sure seems that you're making some great progress!:yay: I'm happy to hear that your chiropractor is really helping with the back issue and that your hip thingie is referred pain due to the new gait, because I've been experiencing much of the same things.
Maybe your OS just wants you to have as much time as possible for recovery before he releases you for work.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
Hi! to a fellow Judy. Sorry to see that you've been having issues while I've been gone. So glad that you are getting it all straightened out and are doing better. Take care.
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo!  Now I've got two!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom