TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
now she thinks it's referred pain from the thoracic spinal area. She suggested adding this to what I get worked on at physio, but I'm wondering if a chiropractor might be more appropriate. Any thoughts?
Thank you Jeb. It makes a bit of sense now! I also agree that abdominal pain could be referred from a thoracic spine issue, also that a chiropractic treatment could be very effective.
 
Hi J,

How are you doing? I know the other issues seem to have cropped up as the knee is getting better. Its always something....

Do take care,

Dawn
 
Jeb,

If there is a significant concern for involvement of your thoracic spine then an advanced imaging study such as an MRI may be helpful. I hope your symptoms improve.

Orthodoc
 
Thank you.
I've had several enthusiastic recommendations for various chiropractors, so I think I will check out that route. A bit of curiosity there, as I've never seen a chiropractor. Fingers crossed.
 
:what:
My February TKR feels significantly worse than my August TKR. I feel like I have lost a lot of ground with it, more in terms of pain than ROM. That said, though, I can't really keep it straightened without it hurting: having it up on the sofa unbent or lying in bed with it straight both hurt behind the knee. That creates a slightly numb and sensation, mostly down the calf. The problem of pain at the back of the thigh when I sit for a while has returned. It just doesn't feel as good as it did before the second knee was done. PT has assured me this is because of the strain of the new knee needing it more. The doctor wasn't worried when I saw him a couple of weeks ago, but I feel like it's gotten worse. Even as I lie in bed I am aware of that leg, whereas the other is much more normal. I'm very confused and kind of worried.

Does this make sense? Is this normal after a second TKR when the first may not have been fully ready to take on the lead role? Are they right that "this too shall pass?". Am I just being whiny and obsessive? Or should I be worried? :what:

I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts. Thank you.
 
Judy, I remember well the pain on the back of the thigh when sitting down for a period of time and I just realized that I don't have it anymore, so it will get better. I used to have more pain in the back of the knees before TKR than after. I think you if it hurts when you have your legs straight (unbent), you might still have some swelling. Are you still icing? Debbie had a great thing where she would use a heated vibrating massager behind her knee and on the thigh muscles to loosen things up, maybe that would work for you.
Also don't forget you are healing 2 knees in 1 year, so it does take time.

Whimpy? No! Obsessive? No! You are just worried that you're missing something. Your PT and your doctor seem to think everything is going as planned, but that doesn't mean your not going to worry, we all worry that something is going to backfire on us.:skep: Maybe the massage thingy will give you some relief and release some of those tight muscles and hamstrings. I hope you get the pain and tightness squared away soon my friend!:friends:
 
Thanks, Jacky! I think it's worth a try.
I spoke to my PT this morning. I haven't lost any extension, and the bend is still good, and function is there. She did a few assessment thingies and can certainly tell something is going on. Problem is, she isn't sure what! However, she has promised to do some research and consult with other PTs before my next appointment Wednesday. If she can't figure it out, she'll send me to the surgeon, but she says she thinks it's more something in her area that will need addressing.
Have a good day.
 
I'm glad to hear your PT is on top of things, at least she try to find answers and if not send you back to the doc with her evaluation. All good stuff!
Sta well my friend!:friends:
 
Hi.
Haven't written for a few days, just feeling a bit blue.


I'm doing really well with my most recent knee. It only hurts in physio, in a good way. It feels good, weak but otherwise normal (actual, weak is normal for me. WAS normal.). First knee/leg continue to be problematic. I've started doing scoots - no idea what the name is - on a wheeled chair. It is always that knee that hurts or can't do it, or even gives out. On the plus side, balance is getting better and I'm trying to walk more without the cane. Walking is easier, smoother. I'm sleeping in my upstairs bedroom again, which feels great.

I have now been twice to a chiropractor. He has done two kinds of massage, IFC, acupuncture, and adjustments. That darned leg felt so great after the first visit that I positively jaunted through a grocery store, no cane, no limp, walked relatively quickly even. I felt like skipping. And the cool thing was it even helped, temporarily, with my hip pain. Posture has seldom been better. Oh yeah, the stomach pain is improved too, :). I find it fascinating and exciting. Next visit is Monday.

But of course now I have a new worry. It seems like for most of us it's one thing after another, no matter how optimistic we try to be. I wonder if there's a medical reason or link that some people just get whacked by so much stuff. But in that context, I do realize I'm lucky.

Anyway, my hip is killing me. If I do too much, which isn't much, my left hip gets terribly sore, as does the low back on that side. It also feels like it goes into the buttock area. It gets to the point where I feel I cannot stand another second. It eases a tad if I bend forward, and it stops almost totally if I sit. But once it reaches that point, I've pretty much had it with being able to do anything for hours.
My mom had spinal stenosis, which acted the same way, but I don't think it's that...is it? Does it sound like the hip is next on my list? Could it be sciatica? I don't see the OS for another month. Any serious advice? Thanks!
 
Hi Judy, I was wondering, would the chiropractor that you're seeing be able to tell if your experiencing symptoms from spinal stenosis or sciatica?
I know when I experience the sciatica nerve pain it shoots down my leg and up into the buttocks area, very, very painful to say the least! Knock on wood, I have not experienced that in a while. On the other hand you might want to make an appointment with an OS who deals with the spinal rather than wait until you see the OS that did your knee. This way you'd at least be able to confirm or eliminate these issues.
I wish I knew why we fix one major thing like our knees and get bombarded by so many other issues that need to be addressed. I guess the old say goes, the knee bone is connected to the hip bone, the hip bones connected to.....and on and on! All we want is peace and less pain! I guess we have to jump through hoops to get there! :groan:

On a good note, it's great that you are now able to go upstairs and sleep in your own bed again!
Whatever exercise that you do that causes pain, I'd say don't do it, wait a while and try again down he road.
 
Hi Judy,

I do hope you kick the blues soon. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be with making progress on the knee and loosing ground on. The other knee and hip. I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it. Don't give up and know your support system is always here!

Dawn
 
Judy I so get you! If its not one thing, its another. I didn't realize when I had my knee done, I would be in for all this. Big hugs my friend!!
 
Nothing to offer but :console2:
 
Ouch and more ouch. I can so relate. You wonder why now the hip. I found out that I have scoliosis of the spine and I knew that I had a very arthritic spine but wondering now if this is back stuff and not really hip.
Agree about going to an ortho that specializes in spines. I think so much of this has to do with poor gait and lousy positioning of our bodies for so long because of our knees. I bet knee surgeons see this so frequently but you probably have to rule out back issues.

Feel better my friend. You did not have to copy me though with this hip thing. <g>
 
Thanks, all.
Just came back from a brisk walk. No knee pain whatsoever!!! None. Zip. Zero. :yes!:

But guess what? The stupid hip was so bad it was almost debilitating, had to stop a few times to try to ease it up. Yesterday I told the chiropractor I'd be forever in his debt if he could "fix" it, and he sure worked on it. But nada. Zip. Zero. :sigh:

I don't know if we have spine specialists here, but I should. However, I do know it would take eons to get to see one, after I get a referral from my GP. I might try my OS guy; tomorrow at physio I'll ask their thoughts. And then I'll move ahead. Maybe I'll have to start a thread in the hippie forum too.

Thanks for your support. Like the new avatar, Jacky! And no, Merry, as lovely as you are, I will not follow you on this if I can help it.
 
Dang, if it's not one thing it's another for us folk!:scratch: Ya gotta wonder when it's all going to stop and let us be!
Hopefully you'll be able to get some relief soon Judy!
Stay well my friend!:friends:

Thanks Judy, I took this picture from one of the arrangements Norm gave me and I thought it was beautiful and I wanted to last forever!
 
Jacky,
I just read your post on Debbie1954's thread about your OS advising against manipulation. Uh-oh.
 
Jacky,
I just read your post on Debbie1954's thread about your OS advising against manipulation. Uh-oh.

I think that was my GP who adviced me not to see a chiropractor yet cause he may pull on my legs to help the lower back, which may not be good for the knees yet! However, I believe that was when I was just about three months out from my replacements, I think she was more worried about the glue aspect of the knee replacements.

Yeah, Norm is a pretty good guy! Lucky me!:) There is plenty of them out there, start shopping kiddo, you've got some brand new knees to start chasing now!:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom